Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/27/2016 6:59:28 PM EDT
I am looking to get a suppressor for my Remington 700 SPS Tactical 16.5" .308.  I have 4 suppressors already, all SilencerCo.  I am looking at the Omega, but also hear good things about the Sandman-L, and Sandman-S.  Which one of these would work best for this rifle?  I may eventually someday end up with an AR-10 or SCAR-17 also, so I want something that would work well on those.  Or is there anything else I should be looking at?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 7:03:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I love my Sandman L on my 20" PBR XP .308. Other than that, you could also look at the Surge and the Recce 7. All quiet, durable, and good mounts.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 7:31:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a very limited sample size (1) but I love my Sandman S.  I wanted something bombproof so I could run it on any barrel length I wanted.  It has no minimum barrel length restrictions.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:57:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Be sure and check out the Surge, I really like the modularity it offers.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:02:50 PM EDT
[#4]
All fine choices with features and personal preferences being the primary differences.

The Sandman S is a little louder, the cost for being smaller.

I personally prefer the deeper tone of the Omega, Sandman S and Surge over the higher pitch of the Sandman L.

I also prefer the lighter weight of the Omega, and the QD and DT options, end cap options.

I like the Surge's two configurations, and it is quiet in the long configuration like the Omega and deep in tone too, like the Omega. Heavy though, like the Sandman L.

Pick your winner, you can't go wrong with any of them. Fwiw, the Omega was my choice, primarily because of weight.

JPK
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:15:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Maybe it's old news, but the Specwar 762 is still a beast of a can honestly in terms of suppression.
Worth a look.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:56:42 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I am looking to get a suppressor for my Remington 700 SPS Tactical 16.5" .308.  I have 4 suppressors already, all SilencerCo.  I am looking at the Omega, but also hear good things about the Sandman-L, and Sandman-S.  Which one of these would work best for this rifle?  I may eventually someday end up with an AR-10 or SCAR-17 also, so I want something that would work well on those.  Or is there anything else I should be looking at?

Thanks
View Quote

What qualities do you value most?

I can't/shouldn't use my Omega an SBR 6.8SPC.  I like it's size and weight a lot.  It is super sweet on a 300BO and works well on a .308.

The Sandman's are nice too and a good choice if the weight doesn't hold you back or you want full-auto and SBR use.

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 12:24:03 AM EDT
[#7]
I went with an Omega.

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 12:49:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I went with an Omega.

<a href="http://s3.photobucket.com/user/jerrellwise/media/Gun%20Pics/61147B6E-1E56-4A0E-89BD-16776AFA2F14_zpsnilobed5.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/jerrellwise/Gun%20Pics/61147B6E-1E56-4A0E-89BD-16776AFA2F14_zpsnilobed5.jpg</a>
View Quote

This is what I am leaning towards, because it seems to rate good, and I already have 2 SiCo Saker's, an Octane, and a Spectre.  Now to find the best price!
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 1:28:25 AM EDT
[#9]
I'd look at the Sig srd762. I shot one Saturday (along with my 556) and it was super quiet. Plus the QD system is nice. Even if it comes unscrewed it can't come unscrewed enough to cause a baffle strike.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:11:53 AM EDT
[#10]
It's not on your list but for your setup I'd look at Suppressed Armament Systems and go with either their Reaper or Arbiter suppressor.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:34:55 AM EDT
[#11]
I spent my money on an Omega.  Good tone, good specs, good company backing it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 10:21:37 AM EDT
[#12]
If you're looking at precision rifles/low rates of fire, then I don't think there's a better option than Thunderbeast Ultras. I have the Ultra 7 for my 6.5 creedmoor AR-10 and it's awesome. Very light weight, sounds really nice (even nicer for bystanders than the shooter, probably because of action noise), the only limitation is that it won't take really high rates of fire due to titanium construction that TBAC says should stay <800 degrees.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 10:28:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Thunderbeast.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 10:28:56 AM EDT
[#14]
i have 2 omegas and a hybrid in jail. the asr mounts are nice because i have a lot of guns i swap cans on. its stupid quiet on my 10ba. i use it on .308, 300bo, x39 and 5.56
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 11:26:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If you're looking at precision rifles/low rates of fire, then I don't think there's a better option than Thunderbeast Ultras. I have the Ultra 7 for my 6.5 creedmoor AR-10 and it's awesome. Very light weight, sounds really nice (even nicer for bystanders than the shooter, probably because of action noise), the only limitation is that it won't take really high rates of fire due to titanium construction that TBAC says should stay <800 degrees.
View Quote

Absolutely agree.  The suppressors and the company building them is unsurpassed, in my book.

Shooting a Ultra 9 on a 16" .308 bolt action, with the can off and on,
I've had people claim I'm switching to subs just to make the can look good.  
I let them open their box of GI 7.62, and pick out the rounds -that convinces them.

Also, the SAS information on the Arbiter and Reaper (mentioned in a previous post)  lists exactly the same 800 degree max temperature requirement.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 4:39:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Also check out the Griffin Armament Recce 7.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 7:52:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 10:04:21 PM EDT
[#18]
I really like my sandman S. But it's my only suppressor right now. Low tone and pretty quiet.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 10:57:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 3:18:52 AM EDT
[#20]
After a little more research, I think it is going to come down to the Omega, and the Recce 7.  Which one would be quieter?
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 6:59:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

+1
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

+2
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 9:55:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

+2
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

+2

+3.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 10:28:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Also check out the Griffin Armament Recce 7.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 10:37:32 AM EDT
[#24]
The answer is always SiCo.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 4:27:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

I do not generally claim to be brand myopic, but this has been my experience. For almost all types of guns and types of use, SiCo has the best can option for the money.
Best meaning
-Build quality
-Mount quality
-Customer Service standard
-Suppression/pitch
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 4:54:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I do not generally claim to be brand myopic, but this has been my experience. For almost all types of guns and types of use, SiCo has the best can option for the money.
Best meaning
-Build quality
-Mount quality
-Suppression/pitch
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Best meaning
-Build quality
-Mount quality
-Suppression/pitch

Boy did I screw up then. 8 cans and none from SiCo.

Rugged Obsidian
Rugged Surge
AEM5
Griffin Optimus
TBAC UItra 7
Dead Air Mask x2 (1 pending)
Rugged Razor (7/5 pending, expected sometime next decade)

Should have just bought a hybrid, an octane, a few sakers, a specwar and pair of sparrows.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 5:24:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Surefire isn't mentioned yet?
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 5:44:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Take a look at the SF 300 SPS. It really is an incredible suppressor. PM me for any info. you might need.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 6:33:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

C'mon bud. Like 3 people have a sps300 and we both know the Socom 762/ 762mini isn't getting any love
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 7:03:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Rugged Obsidian
Rugged Surge
AEM5
Griffin Optimus
TBAC UItra 7

Should have just bought a hybrid, an octane, a few sakers, a specwar and pair of sparrows.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Best meaning
-Build quality
-Mount quality
-Suppression/pitch

Rugged Obsidian
Rugged Surge
AEM5
Griffin Optimus
TBAC UItra 7

You didn't screw up.
You bought 8 great cans.
I will say that I don't have a 22 can yet, and damn the mask is tempting. But it was designed by the guy than ran SiCo and destined a bunch of the cans I DO have, so maybe I am a Team Pappas guy rather than a SiCo guy. Lol
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 7:36:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

+3.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

+2

+3.

+4
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 7:40:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

+4
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

+2

+3.

+4

+5
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 11:39:36 PM EDT
[#33]
I use and love TBAC for my bolt guns.  However, if I had to do it over again, I'd probably go with the Omega.

Size, weight, sound, durability, and price are just great with the Omega.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 7:34:17 AM EDT
[#34]
My first can I ever purchased was this Saker762

it on a 300BO

Link Posted: 10/1/2016 9:52:44 PM EDT
[#35]
No love for a Hybrid?

Capitol Armory may still have their buy one get one sale.

You could walk away with a Sico Micro and the Hybrid for a hair more than a great price on a Hybrid.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 8:28:13 PM EDT
[#36]
I own two Omegas but also recommend the Recce 7, depending upon a few factors.
Still waiting on a Griffin mount adapter for the Omega...
The Griffin Alpha looks promising...
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 8:56:21 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm waiting on my dealers form 3 so I can start the long wait for my Griffin Alpha. I'm kinda curious why it hasn't been mentioned here...

Besides the post before me.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 1:59:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I'm waiting on my dealers form 3 so I can start the long wait for my Griffin Alpha. I'm kinda curious why it hasn't been mentioned here...

View Quote

Hive-mind says a user serviceable centerfire rifle can is an unnecessary feature and perhaps a weakpoint.

You also have to think about how many Griffin Alphas are in user hands right now? If you could buy the can at the store and take it home the same day, as you can with a firearm, you'd have reviews on stuff immediately. Unfortunately, we have to wait months or even years to get a can.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 4:00:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Hive-mind says a user serviceable centerfire rifle can is an unnecessary feature and perhaps a weakpoint.

You also have to think about how many Griffin Alphas are in user hands right now? If you could buy the can at the store and take it home the same day, as you can with a firearm, you'd have reviews on stuff immediately. Unfortunately, we have to wait months or even years to get a can.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The user serviceable aspect is what drew me to it. I just like to be able to take things apart I guess.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 4:01:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

C'mon bud. Like 3 people have a sps300 and we both know the Socom 762/ 762mini isn't getting any love
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I finally get in with the cool kids only to realize the cool kids moved on with something else

Link Posted: 10/3/2016 4:16:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, I didn't really research the Recce 7 until after I purchased two Omegas.  Definitely would be nice to see a taper mount for the Omega, since it's modular and all.   The Griffin titanium brake is cool.

-J
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 4:19:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed. Same goes for the hybrid.
Also, I don't consider them .30
Ymmv
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 4:21:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Yeah, I didn't really research the Recce 7 until after I purchased two Omegas.  Definitely would be nice to see a taper mount for the Omega, since it's modular and all.   The Griffin titanium brake is cool.

-J
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-J

I keep asking them to make a Ti minimalist FH. Apparently I'm the only one that wants one
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 8:32:29 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Maybe it's old news, but the Specwar 762 is still a beast of a can honestly in terms of suppression.
Worth a look.
View Quote

I love mine. It's a beast, rock solid and supresses very well.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 7:51:17 AM EDT
[#45]
I just have two .30 cal. cans.  YHM 7.62 Phantom quick detach and a Sandman S.  Host is a savage hog hunter .308.  Groups went from 2.5-3 inch with the Phantom to 1 inch with the Sandman (same load, same day).  Sandman mount is much better for lockup than the YHM mount.  

Sandman is 20 oz with mount and I put it on my 5.56 SBR also for double duty.  At this point I would buy Sandman S cans all day.  Cant speak for the other ones though.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 10:29:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

User serviceable is great if you plan to sometimes use a 22 conversion or shoot cast. For the people stating that it causes a weak point, in Griffin's video they are lighting off a 240 with it on the end. That is far more of a beating than 99.9% of the users would ever be able to give it. I think it's a non issue. I believe the reason it's not recommended more is that no one really has one in the wild yet. It's hard to recommend something when you have no real experience with it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 11:00:37 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
My first can I ever purchased was this Saker762

<a href="http://s89.photobucket.com/user/halleyjhett/media/ar10_zpsqrpihhmc.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k211/halleyjhett/ar10_zpsqrpihhmc.jpg</a>

it on a 300BO

<a href="http://s89.photobucket.com/user/halleyjhett/media/300sup_zps186aa8c5.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k211/halleyjhett/300sup_zps186aa8c5.jpg</a>
View Quote

Same here, love my Saker.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 8:27:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Finally after a seven month wait, I just recently received my first suppressor, the Silencerco Omega. Let's just say I'm very happy with my choice. The size, weight and suppression of this suppressor have impressed the hell out of me! I feel for my first .30 caliber can, I have zero regrets. Now if my first .22 suppressor , the dead air mask would get approved and in hand, I'll be content...for a little while. ; ) Good luck with whatever decision you make!
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 10:46:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Finally after a seven month wait, I just recently received my first suppressor, the Silencerco Omega. Let's just say I'm very happy with my choice. The size, weight and suppression of this suppressor have impressed the hell out of me! I feel for my first .30 caliber can, I have zero regrets. Now if my first .22 suppressor , the dead air mask would get approved and in hand, I'll be content...for a little while. ; ) Good luck with whatever decision you make!
View Quote

Great choice, and the Mask will please you equally. But you will soon be seeking the 1/2" 28 Ti DT adapter for the Omega and a Ti 5.56 end cap so you can loose 3oz and more than two inches and enjoy a 6" (adds +/- 5"), very light, very quiet set up on a 5.56!

JPK
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 1:39:59 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Great choice, and the Mask will please you equally. But you will soon be seeking the 1/2" 28 Ti DT adapter for the Omega and a Ti 5.56 end cap so you can loose 3oz and more than two inches and enjoy a 6" (adds +/- 5"), very light, very quiet set up on a 5.56!

JPK
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

JPK

I'm excited about running the Omega on my Daniel Defense  V5 5.56! I will be purchasing the 5.56 end cap very soon. Like you said, I've heard the end cap works very well. Take care!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top