Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/25/2016 12:58:06 AM EDT
Had my first ever baffle strike, yesterday at the range. Not sure what has caused it yet, as the can really wasn't all that hot and (Was close to touchable without a glove) and the round seemed to take a tumble early.

From a cursory glance, due to angles and lack of tools to look inside, there are about 6 baffles that have been hit in some way. The tube itself is fine, save for the end cap.

Total of 90 rounds were fired, during the time of about an hour and a half. Ammo used was American Eagle .223 55 grain that I recently picked up during a PSA sale.

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 1:16:29 AM EDT
[#1]
That blows. I pray I never experience that. Hopefully you can get it squared away quickly and cheaply.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 1:16:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Posted in the thread in GD earlier, but my money is on ammo issue. Let us know how Surefire takes care of you.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 1:27:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Posted in the thread in GD earlier, but my money is on ammo issue. Let us know how Surefire takes care of you.
View Quote

Yeah, posters were pushing me to move it to the Suppressor section, so figured I'd give it a go.

I'll be calling Surefire on Monday and will keep everyone updated on their response.

I ended up checking out my entire rifle and I can find no trace, or evidence, of part of the ammo breaking off. Granted, it could have simply sheared off in the can but, at this point, I really have no evidence.

I'm honestly worried to shoot the rest of my 1k rounds of American Eagle...
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 1:40:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I ended up checking out my entire rifle and I can find no trace, or evidence, of part of the ammo breaking off. Granted, it could have simply sheared off in the can but, at this point, I really have no evidence.

View Quote

What I'm thinking is maybe an undersized bullet that didn't fully engage the rifling? Maybe a jacket that was way thicker on one side than another? It's just speculation...but it seems very rare to see a strike take place that early in the can without a mounting issue. I would be worried about shooting that ammo through a suppressor, too.

I have a shitload of Federal XM193...
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 2:27:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yeah, posters were pushing me to move it to the Suppressor section, so figured I'd give it a go.

I'll be calling Surefire on Monday and will keep everyone updated on their response.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was shooting that out if my can today. Your story makes me a tad nervous. Sort of annoying when shooting AE brass makes me more nervous than shooting steel Tula...
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 3:06:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I was shooting that out if my can today. Your story makes me a tad nervous. Sort of annoying when shooting AE brass makes me more nervous than shooting steel Tula...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm really not sure if it is 100% the ammo but the only thing different about this trip, than every other range session or class I've had, is I was using this new lot of American Eagle ammo.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 7:56:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Look at your variables and look at your constants.
Unless you somehow lost a shitload of rifling in your barrel between 2 trips, it's probably ammo related. Unless your can unscrewed while you weren't shooting the gun, it's an ammo issue. Now Federal is probably going to tell you to pound sand on this one. They have to pull teeth to even pay for blown up guns.
Just get with surefire and work with them to figure it out. Won't be fun, might cost money, but it's worth it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 7:58:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

$650 if it needs to be recored.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:29:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry OP. That's the worst customer service I've ever heard of in the silencer business...
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:01:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Sorry OP. That's the worst customer service I've ever heard of in the silencer business...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Might as well take that money and buy a better performing can with better customer service
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:04:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Might as well take that money and buy a better performing can with better customer service
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Surefire charges based on discretion, and why should Surefire be obligated to repair for free what was caused by another company's deficit?  Is it Surefire's fault that the barrel was threaded incorrectly, or that the round didn't stabilize for whatever reason, or whatever else? Is this a Surefire manufacturing defect?

Society has a lot of entitlements...

OP: Call Surefire. Tell them what happened. They might repair it on their dime, they might not. $650 is correct. If they bill you, ask if they will slip in the new baffle stack while they are at it. If they don't change the end-cap, it shouldn't be an NFA problem as the OAL will remain the same.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:32:51 AM EDT
[#12]

Surefire charges based on discretion, and why should Surefire be obligated to repair for free what was caused by another company's deficit?  Is it Surefire's fault that the barrel was threaded incorrectly, or that the round didn't stabilize for whatever reason, or whatever else? Is this a Surefire manufacturing defect?

OP: Call Surefire. Tell them what happened. They might repair it on their dime, they might not. $650 is correct. If they bill you, ask if they will slip in the new baffle stack while they are at it. If they don't change the end-cap, it shouldn't be an NFA problem as the OAL will remain the same.
View Quote

Silencerco says and I quote "We stand behind our products with a lifetime warranty, no matter what – even if it’s not a product defect." And their cans are awesome. I imagine others out there have similar warranties.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:38:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Surefire shouldn't be obligated to repair silencers for free. But the argument is twofold:

1. $650 is basically the cost of a silencer minus the tax stamp. That's like fixing a $20,000 car for $17,000. Doesn't make sense.
2. Just because Surefire isn't doing anything "wrong" doesn't mean they couldn't be doing things much better. If they want to be competitive with other companies that fix things no-questions-asked, $650 for a fix is insane by comparison. I have zero concerns with a baffle strike in my AAC, Dead Air, Griffin, and SilencerCo cans. Not because they're immune to strikes, but because I know how it'll be handled afterwards.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:46:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Surefire shouldn't be obligated to repair silencers for free. But the argument is twofold:

1. $650 is basically the cost of a silencer minus the tax stamp. That's like fixing a $20,000 car for $17,000. Doesn't make sense.
2. Just because Surefire isn't doing anything "wrong" doesn't mean they couldn't be doing things much better. If they want to be competitive with other companies that fix things no-questions-asked, $650 for a fix is insane by comparison. I have zero concerns with a baffle strike in my AAC, Dead Air, Griffin, and SilencerCo cans. Not because they're immune to strikes, but because I know how it'll be handled afterwards.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly, $650 is outrageous in a market that is filled with so many other companies offering better services. Nobody is obligated to fix anything for free like GD said. But when buying a can it makes you have more confidence when a manufacturer goes above and beyond to help out customers. Not charging the price of a new can for repairs
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:52:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Yeah you can buy a new 5.56 can for $650, but you have to wait who knows how long, before you get it. The one in your hand with the baffle-strike, you can have back as soon as it's fixed.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:19:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Look at your variables and look at your constants.
Unless you somehow lost a shitload of rifling in your barrel between 2 trips, it's probably ammo related. Unless your can unscrewed while you weren't shooting the gun, it's an ammo issue. Now Federal is probably going to tell you to pound sand on this one. They have to pull teeth to even pay for blown up guns.
Just get with surefire and work with them to figure it out. Won't be fun, might cost money, but it's worth it.
View Quote

I think this sums it up.  

Ammunition is made in batches, sampled for quality in batches, as well as contracted out.  When you make millions of rounds a day, some will be lemons.

Lake City is impressive and makes ammo even faster than the Anoka facility, and their specs are not as tight as Anoka produced cartridges, even when we are using Lake City components at Anoka.

So it could be the ammo.  I do work at the Anoka facility, but not in customer service.  I, too, fear baffle strikes knowing what I do about all the major brands of ammo.  However, like other posters said, that's why I have cans with good warranties.

I hope it is SF's mistake, but for some reason, I doubt it.  We'll know after you send it back.

Keep us posted.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 3:32:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Silencerco says and I quote "We stand behind our products with a lifetime warranty, no matter what – even if it’s not a product defect." And their cans are awesome. I imagine others out there have similar warranties.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I have no love for AAC as a rule but they fixex my baffle strike quickly with no fee and I was shooting reloads.  I can't complain about their CS.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 4:16:10 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm waiting on my first rifle can and you all are freaking me out.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 5:14:22 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote

It's not too much unlike that first door ding on your new car or first scratch on that new pickup.  We all fear it but, if it hasn't happened yet it will at some point.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 6:48:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It's not too much unlike that first door ding on your new car or first scratch on that new pickup.  We all fear it but, if it hasn't happened yet it will at some point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok firstly don't freak out the new guy.
While STATISTICALLY if you shoot enough with cans on the probability of having a baffle strike may go up, but check your mounts, use good ammo, check your barrels, and did I mention use good ammo, and you are much less likely to have problems. Guys shoot tens of thousands of rounds without a baffle strike.
OP might have been just as likely to not have a strike If he had gotten a different lot of ammo. Who knows.
But saying it will happen eventually isnt necessarily true.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 7:29:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Yeah you can buy a new 5.56 can for $650, but you have to wait who knows how long, before you get it. The one in your hand with the baffle-strike, you can have back as soon as it's fixed.
View Quote

This is my thought as well. I'd rather have my 5.56 can up and running again, as opposed to filing a new stamp and waiting the potential year plus

I'll pay, if Surefire desires so. I'm confident this was a bad round and not any fault of Surefire.

Thinking back now, I actually think I remember exactly when it happened. Was letting a teenager try out shooting a suppressed rifle, as he never had before, and I loaded him up 5 rounds of the American Eagle.

He ejected the first round, by cycling the charging handle again, despite me telling him that I chambered him a round. The next shot sounded completely off and was abnormally quiet. I went to stop him, to investigate the rifle, but he squeezed off another round, before I could get to him.

This time, there was a lot more noise and I remember seeing a bit of flame spit out the front of my can.

Not sure if a round didn't make it completely out of my baffle stack or if some parts of the jacket were left behind.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 7:31:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

You'll be fine, don't let this experience deter you from enjoying your new silencer.

This stuff happens, just like random bad lots of ammo can blow up a rifle. No reason to live in fear though.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 7:35:10 PM EDT
[#23]
This stuff makes me nervous. Several surefire cans and lots of AE ammo. Never had any issues yet tho.

Surefire is an excellent company. I'm positive they will take care of you. I'm going to follow this post to see what they end up doing. Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:18:52 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

While STATISTICALLY if you shoot enough with cans on the probability of having a baffle strike may go up, but check your mounts, use good ammo, check your barrels, and did I mention use good ammo, and you are much less likely to have problems. Guys shoot tens of thousands of rounds without a baffle strike.

OP might have been just as likely to not have a strike If he had gotten a different lot of ammo. Who knows.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a relative risk sort of thing.  No, I'm not trying to freak him out but, every forum I've been on has multiple threads about baffle and end cap strikes, most of which are superficial and cosmetic only just like a door ding at the shopping mall.  As noted above, most of these 'door dings' are fixed pretty easily and generally without too much cost.

Will I worry about shooting my can because I 'might' get a baffle strike?  No.  Will my world come to end if I do?  No.  Will it be hard to fix?  Probably easier then all the auto claims I have ever made through no fault of my own (like when I was stopped behind a school bus with the flashing lights and stop sign deployed when a cop hit me doing ~45MP:).  

And yes, the OP's issue is significantly worse than the vast majority of issues.  Do I like 'door dings'?  No.  Do I let the fear of them stop me from driving my car? No.  However, sometimes things are beyond your control and the worst or significantly bad things do happen.

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:17:08 PM EDT
[#25]
So....this is why I initially bought a single suppressor to cover a specific caliber range, aka Sandman-S, then decided just in case I needed to buy another one as a backup.

So I bought a Sandman-L....and a Recee 5.....and a AAC Mini-4.....and a GA Optimus.....just in case I had a baffle strike or damaged a can.

Same for my Omega 9k....and my Ghost-M....and the GA Optimus.

And my Mask....and Spectre.....and the GA Optimus again.

This was my thinking no joke initially.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:22:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Thinking about your account of what happened reminds me of something that happened to me recently...

Shooting my 20" AR from the bench, I got a round that didn't feed. I don't remember if I got a *click* or a trigger that didn't reset all the way, but I pulled the charging handle and ejected the round and chambered a new one. Same result. Then I knew something was wrong.

I ejected that round, locked the bolt back, and dropped the mag. I looked at the second round that I ejected, and it had the top half of a casing around it. It was an entire cartridge that was basically wearing a T-shirt made of another cartridge. I looked on the tarp and found the bottom half of a casing that ejected no problem. The case ripped in half across the middle.

I realized what happened and felt sick that I could've come that close to blowing up my gun, and possibly part of my hand or face. Luckily, the AR is a very safe design and is nearly impossible to get an OOBD from.

Lesson learned: If a round doesn't chamber, that round probably isn't the problem. The one before it probably was. Inspect the chamber, because there's probably something in it. Federal XM193.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 4:51:15 AM EDT
[#27]
sidpost, SilenceThis, and Zerlak--thanks for all the responses to my post. I didn't mean to hijack the thread, so carry on!
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 6:37:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Feels like this one point needs clarification.  

I'm pretty sure that SF re-core price is for worn out cans, not baffle strikes, though in this case it may be one in the same.  In other words, these situations work like this:

Customer:  Hey, I've got 17,000 rounds through my can.  It is worn out.  I spent $1,400 on this a few years ago.  Is it toast?  

SF:  Nope.  For $650, we'll replace the core and you'll have a brand new can.  

OR

Customer:  Hey, I have a baffle strike, can you check out my can?

SF:  Sure.  if it is our fault, we'll fix it.  If not, we can talk about other options, which might include a re-core on your dime.

That is a big difference.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 7:11:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure that SF re-core price is for worn out cans, not baffle strikes, though in this case it may be one in the same.  In other words, these situations work like this:

Customer:  Hey, I've got 17,000 rounds through my can.  It is worn out.  I spent $1,400 on this a few years ago.  Is it toast?  

OR

SF:  Sure.  if it is our fault, we'll fix it.  If not, we can talk about other options, which might include a re-core on your dime.

View Quote

This is my understanding. They may also want the upper.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 8:05:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

OR

View Quote

Don't be coming up in here with common sense. Don't even mention the fact that the cans sold to the military or OGA would then need to have any work, Surefire's fault or not, done for free as well.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:42:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

This is my thought as well. I'd rather have my 5.56 can up and running again, as opposed to filing a new stamp and waiting the potential year plus
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Forgot to ask- how many roungs through the can, prior to strike?

If it's well-used, $650 for a recore is a good deal.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 12:21:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it's worn out and they'll put an RC2 core in it, that may not suck too bad. Personally, I'd buy a Recce 5 but then again I've got a handful of cans so being without for a year while a stamp is pending is of no concern to me
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 12:51:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is about 5000 - 6000 rounds through the can. It is by no means anywhere near new, I picked it up September of 2009.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 1:15:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Any luck calling surefire? I tried to get a hold of them last week and just got put on hold forever. Not a warranty issue though.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 1:16:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Any luck calling surefire? I tried to get a hold of them last week and just got put on hold forever. Not a warranty issue though.
View Quote

Left a call back request about an hour ago. Still waiting.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 2:20:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

There is about 5000 - 6000 rounds through the can. It is by no means anywhere near new, I picked it up September of 2009.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Given that, $650 for a RC2 core I would say you would land on your feet quite nicely.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 2:32:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Given that, $650 for a RC2 core I would say you would land on your feet quite nicely.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed, I won't mind paying at all, especially if it's the upgraded core. Would be even crazier I'd they could cut off the old mount design and put on the new SOCOM one but I'm not going to hold my breath there haha.

Still waiting for the call back.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 2:50:29 PM EDT
[#38]
A RC2 core can not be put into the older model suppressors. It is a different design. SF can re-core the suppressor. Only thing that will be reused is the tube. Everything else will be new.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 2:52:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
A RC2 core can not be put into the older model suppressors. It is a different design. SF can re-core the suppressor. Only thing that will be reused is the tube. Everything else will be new.
View Quote

Good to know, thanks. Just waiting on the call back still, must be very busy there.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 3:17:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not that I have a dog in the fight expect for being a Socom owner, but by "new" does that mean new old stock as in a 212 mount or a new Socom mount?

Knowing it wouldn't be an RC2 core would make the decision that much harder if indeed it's $650
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 5:35:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Surefire called back but sadly cannot proceed with repairs as my form 4 is on my old address, which is just up the street from me. Stated that they will not even look at my suppressor until after the address is changed.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 6:26:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 6:43:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Surefire called back but sadly cannot proceed with repairs as my form 4 is on my old address, which is just up the street from me. Stated that they will not even look at my suppressor until after the address is changed.
View Quote

That's BS.

I've moved since all my current cans were approved to my trust.

I'm hoping I don't run into a similar issue down the line if I ever need one of my SureFire or AAC cans serviced.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 7:03:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

So what's their problem? Do they think the silencer was unlawfully transferred?

Hey Surefire, if you're reading this thread...you're losing customers.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 7:05:50 PM EDT
[#45]
That is bs for sure, they found a way to put off repairing it regardless if it's warranty work or not. Surefire has been around along time, you would think they would have better cs than that. Hope you get everything worked out in a timely manner op.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 7:24:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

One more reason to shoot it Til it blows and buy something new.
Did they actually confirm the $650?

Quoted:
Quoted:

I do wonder if the civilian suppressor market matters to them. They seem to care with the release of .22 and 9mm cans but shit like this says otherwise
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 7:39:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I do wonder if the civilian suppressor market matters to them. They seem to care with the release of .22 and 9mm cans but shit like this says otherwise
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

They stated a worst case scenario would be 650, if they discovered user misuse or negligence and even then, that is still up for debate.

I'll give them a call again tomorrow and press the matter, that I moved in the same city and that ATF rules state it isn't a requirement to notify, if moving in state.

In the meantime, I do have a 7.62 can to use but I really want a 5.56 can back, as I prefer having the proper can per caliber.

I do have 2x 5.56 cans in NFA prison but they were filed just before 41F, so who knows when they will clear.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 9:07:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

I really didn't need a reason to not buy their products, but thank you.
That is Absolutely ridiculous. ATF shouldn't NEED official change of address forms for suppressors. It was my understanding that was only needed for SBRs/SBS/MG.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 9:29:19 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

sidpost, SilenceThis, and Zerlak--thanks for all the responses to my post. I didn't mean to hijack the thread, so carry on!
View Quote

No hijack, good discussion and perspective in a thread way out of the norm.  I can't say this is the worst failure I have seen on the "error'net" but, it's up near the top.

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 9:41:00 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View Quote

Couldn't you also do a tax free Form 5 repair custody change?  SureFire is not like a lot of the civilian oriented boutique builders so this really doesn't surprise me at all.

Also, this is not the first time I have heard this.  ATF has apparently requested in state moves be noted via a change of address just as OOS moves are.  The issue only really comes up if an unannounced visit is planned or you need OOS repairs like this.

The strange thing however is that OOS moves were involved so, A form 4 with the OOS move paper should clearly answer SureFire's concern.  It's not like you are going to get a second Form 4 with your new address on it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top