Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/31/2016 3:18:29 PM EDT
New to purchasing cans. I guess having so many choices is a good thing.

Looking at getting a couple in the next few days.

Wanting a can for my 18" 5.56 and one to switch from my M&P15-22 and M&P.22

Been looking at the AAC 556-SD, but now I see the recce 5 is in stock. What one do you think is a better can?

Now on to .22 cans what are some top teir cans to start looking at?
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 4:09:14 PM EDT
[#1]
There is a member looking for a Recce 5 in Texas. I bet he buys you a case of beer if you hit him up. Trying for the life of me think of whom it is.
18" barrel is begging for an AEM5

Mask or Spectre II
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 5:43:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is a member looking for a Recce 5 in Texas. I bet he buys you a case of beer if you hit him up. Trying for the life of me think of whom it is.
18" barrel is begging for an AEM5

Mask or Spectre II
View Quote

I found him and let him know.

Never heard of the AEM5. Will look them up.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 6:43:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I was the one looking for the Recce. Someone let me know and I snatched one up as soon as I heard.

If you want to buy one, I would suggest getting it now. I wouldn't be surprised if they are sold out by tomorrow morning. Last time SS got 500 GA silencers in stock they where gone in 2 hours.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 10:20:16 PM EDT
[#4]
For a rifle, the Silencerco Omega 30 is a very compelling choice.  If you're on a budget, look at the Specwar 556K.  

Reece 5 is a nice choice and I would have considered one if my dealer had one in stock.  Same goes for the Griffin M4-SD line as well.  

For rimfire, I really like my Spectre II.  Don't sweat the additional ounces of the Spectre II over the all-aluminum cans that are out there.  The ease of cleaning a stainless can is well worth it, IMO.  I put 800 rounds through it this past weekend over two days and two separate cleanings.  The stainless construction makes life easy.  Aluminum shouldn't be cleaned with The Dip or with an ultrasonic.  Life is too short to spend it picking and scrubbing aluminum baffles.

I have a new rimfire can in jail, the Ruger Silent-SR.  I contemplated another Spectre II, but wanted something that wouldn't disassemble if I had it under handguards and tried to unscrew it.  I looked at the Surefire Ryder, but the takedown process seemed needlessly complex compared to the Ruger.  The Ruger seems to check all the right boxes, so I went with that.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 11:21:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I love both my Tactical Solutions Axiom and DA Mask. I can't say enough about them. Both rated up to 5.7, both service easy, and my tenitis ears don't discern any frp
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 3:40:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Been looking at the AAC 556-SD, but now I see the recce 5 is in stock. What one do you think is a better can? Between those two - Recce 5 > AAC all day long... Shorter, lighter, and a superior mount

Now on to .22 cans what are some top teir cans to start looking at? I would look at the Dead Air Mask, its the current flagship rimfire suppressor on the market.  There are other options available with similar performance, such as the SiCo Spectre, but since the Mask is in stock with several vendors I really don't see any reason to buy anything other than the Mask unless your just looking to save a buck...
View Quote

With all that covered, have you considered a .30 caliber can to use on multiple platforms?

The Rugged Razor or Dead Air Sandman would give you similar performance on 5.56 but give you the flexibility to use it on .30 caliber host as well

The Razor weighs in at just over 15oz, which is not much more than the 5.56 options mentioned above

Link Posted: 6/1/2016 6:44:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Rugged Surge is a good choice or the Razor, Sandman S or L as well. For the .22 Dead Air Mask, Tac Sol Axiom, Liberty Regulator are some good choices.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 7:49:58 AM EDT
[#8]
For 22-spectreII, DA Mask. Ruger also recently came out with a new 22 can which has gotten good reviews.

Like others have said, you might want to consider a 30cal can which gives you more options. I have an Omega and I really like it. Others mentioned that are also really nice are the offerings from Dead Air (Sandman) and Rugged (surge-which is modular, so you can shoot it in a long or shorter config, or their razor). Also Griffin's recce's are nice cans.

Check out NFA review channel on youtube. He has reviewed most if not all of these can's and he does a great job.

Good luck OP and welcome to the fun world of NFA!
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 8:42:14 AM EDT
[#9]
I had similar needs. I went with the Omega and the Mask.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 7:31:41 PM EDT
[#10]
After a long night of research, I tried to grab a Recce 5 and Tac Sol Axium, but both are now sold out at silencer shop.

Link Posted: 6/1/2016 7:35:20 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I had similar needs. I went with the Omega and the Mask.
View Quote
This is what you want.

Link Posted: 6/1/2016 7:44:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
After a long night of research, I tried to grab a Recce 5 and Tac Sol Axium, but both are now sold out at silencer shop.
View Quote

Sent you an IM. The Recce is in stock right now if you move fast enough.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 9:02:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PM replied. No such luck.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 9:13:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Some good places to purchase silencers online.
Tar Heel State firearms
Capital Armory
Gamaliel
Quiet Riot Firearms
Lanbo's Armory
Hansohn Brothers
Silencer Shop

Try one of those places for what your looking for.

I actually had a hard time finding a Axiom but I picked one up on gunbroker for cheap. There is actually one on there right now but looks like the reserve might be high, who knows.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 9:25:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Some good places to purchase silencers online.
Tar Heel State firearms +1
Capital Armory +1
Gamaliel
Quiet Riot Firearms +1
Lanbo's Armory +1
Hansohn Brothers
Silencer Shop +1

Try one of those places for what your looking for.
View Quote

I need to send some business to Gamaliel and Hansohn sometime soon.
I also have a knack for drunk gunbroker bidding on cans. My latest score should arrive at my SOT tomorrow just being approved on F3 That was from Auto Weapons and the transaction was flawless and their communication has been great. Sent me a tracking number and serial # when I requested both.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 10:34:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Man, that stinks. You would think their system tracks inventory properly by serial number so they don't list in stock and oversell them.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 7:14:57 PM EDT
[#17]
I got a Recce 5 ordered now.

Just need to figure out what I'm going to name my trust.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 8:31:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I got a Recce 5 ordered now.

View Quote

Last Name NFA trust. Don't over complicate it or try to be witty
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 11:06:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 11:28:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Skip the NFA part. I'd say either:
-Lastname Trust
-ABC Trust (use your initials)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Last Name NFA trust. Don't over complicate it or try to be witty

Skip the NFA part. I'd say either:
-Lastname Trust
-ABC Trust (use your initials)

Exactly. No need for NFA.

Shorter = less crap to engrave (Form 1) and less confusion
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 12:16:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Thank you everyone for all the help with the picking a can and info about the trust name.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top