Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2016 9:26:58 AM EDT
I am hours from getting one or the other and still can not decide which one. This will be my first pistol can and i am looking for end user feedback on what you guys like and why. Thanks for any input. I am purchasing in the speq program and my dealer has both in stock.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:48:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am hours from getting one or the other and still can not decide which one. This will be my first pistol can and i am looking for end user feedback on what you guys like and why. Thanks for any input. I am purchasing in the speq program and my dealer has both in stock.
View Quote

If it's only ever going to be on a pistol, then get the osprey.

If you ever want to get a pistol caliber carbine or some 9mm sbr thing then go with the octane
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:52:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I have the 45 versions of both and I favor the Osprey in every respect except the FRP which is easily remedied with a small amount of ablative.  Balance is better, less blow back on my hosts, and point of impact shift seems to be less with the Osprey.  YMMV for each of these attributes depending on your setup.  The Octane is a great can though and is more versatile with 3 lug options, ammo selection and take down cleaning capability.  I prefer shooting the Osprey but there are some applications in which the Octane is the better choice.

There is not a wrong decision here but consider the points that may mean the most to you such as FRP, shooting .22lr or exposed lead bullets, weight / balance, 3-lug, blow back, POI shift (which may or may not apply to your hosts), ect.  Personal preference, mission or application should be factored into the decision.  However, for me, if I had to give one of them up, the Osprey would stay.

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:01:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I have the Osprey 45 and Octane 9 and 45.

For a single can, I would pick the Octane as it is more versatile in terms of mounting options as well as serviceability (for shooting lead loads).

I'd also suggest the .45 can as your first pistol can as it is only an inch longer than the 9 can and opens you up to greater possibilities in the future (unless you know you will be purchasing more pistol cans down the road).
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:11:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For a single can, I would pick the Octane as it is more versatile in terms of mounting options as well as serviceability (for shooting lead loads).
View Quote

Those are the reasons I have an Octane 45K in jail.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:14:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Buy both.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:21:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I already have the sparrow and  omega. I am also picking up a spectre today. I shoot a far amount of 45 but I will get a dedicated 45 can when the time comes. I am more worried about on top of everything that I have to buy for the can but I'll need sights for all my pistols.  I carry a Glock 19 and was hoping to run the sites that I have on it which are trijicon on 3 Dot with the osprey.  If I ever get into a carbine host  I will get a can for it.  I only shoot full metal jacket in my auto pistols so I'm not sure that the serviceability of the octane it is necessary .
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:29:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Buy both.
View Quote

In due time!
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:35:38 AM EDT
[#8]
One of the biggest things for me right now is wondering if the factory sites will work with the Osprey so I will not have to buy sites for all four of my 9mm pistols.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:40:33 AM EDT
[#9]
How would you rate the frp? I'm an electrician so pulling lube is a non-issue.  Except for how what does stay in the can does it run out or does most of it get blown out overtime ? Or can it get  shook out  Easly ?
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:42:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
One of the biggest things for me right now is wondering if the factory sites will work with the Osprey so I will not have to buy sites for all four of my 9mm pistols.
View Quote

Just learn to sight through the can haha
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 11:06:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Unless you plan on using it for .22 Id say the osprey, its a easy choice imho...

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 11:46:36 AM EDT
[#12]
FRP is noticeable but not a deal breaker.  It's reduced when shooting 9mm (rather than .45) anyway - at least in the 45 can.

A few cc's of wire pulling gel or a cap full of water will eliminate FRP (or does at least to me).  It's probably good for 30-50 rounds.  Sometimes I'll add a few cc's of wpg in the back and front of the Osprey and it lasts longer but it does get messy.  If you don't really want to shoot wet but want to reduce FRP, a spritz of water every couple of mags is pretty effective.

All these things are quite subjective though and are effected by host and ammo.  A shift in POI from POA is a greater annoyance to me than dry FRP.  The Octane can be adjusted.  The Osprey cannot.  However, I get on target quicker with the Osprey than the Octane when installing on multiple hosts.  It could be a "me" thing but that's my experience.  I consistently shoot better with the Osprey.

YMMV...
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 11:58:42 AM EDT
[#13]
If you have a 45 in your safe I would get the Osprey 45 as a dedicated pistol can. If you plan to run it on a rifle I would get the Octane 45. You have .22LR covered so that should be a non-issue. I have both and prefer the profile of the Osprey for pistol shooting. I also have an Osprey 9 and would say that it doesn't have much advantage over the Osprey 45, especially if you don't own a pistol suppressor at all.

Regarding sights, sight through the can as others have said. The Osprey blocks less of the sights than the Octane but they are still obscured some. You can engage multiple targets quicker shooting with both eyes open (I shoot my revolvers this way as well). The only reason I would purchase suppressor sights is if I was a bullseye shooter, which I am not. You can try it out even without having a can on the pistol. If you are right eye dominant the left image of the gun will dictate where your shots will hit.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 12:02:40 PM EDT
[#14]
I prefer my Osprey over my Tirant 9, no Octane.

My Osprey doubles duty on my 300BLK SBR also and looks niceeeee

But then again my Tirant fits under hand guards.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 12:54:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have an Osprey 45, and factory sights will NOT see over the suppressor.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 2:23:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

If it's only ever going to be on a pistol, then get the osprey.

If you ever want to get a pistol caliber carbine or some 9mm sbr thing then go with the octane
View Quote

I agree with the above. I have the osprey 9, 45, and octane 45 and have a octane 9 on order. For straight pistol use I'd stick with the osprey unless you want to shoot lead rounds(which I don't). My octane 45 stays on my m10 machinegun and the octane 9 will go on a 5 inch sig mpx.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 4:25:05 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a Osprey 45 and Octane 45K. I like the 45K for it's size and the fact that I don't have to take the Surefire off the Glock to run it. For everything else, I like the Osprey. Before you make a decision, I'd absolutely make sure that you'll never want to shoot anything other than 9mm/Sub 300 Blackouts. The 45 allows you to shoot 45, 10mm, .40, 9mm and 300 B/O.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 7:28:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Given 41F and both in hand I'd get both....in all complete and utter seriousness.

With that said, I went looking for an Osprey and found that most non-suppressor sights wouldn't clear it anyway, so when Octanes came in hand I took those.  Plus I like the flexibility, plus I like the ability to disassemble and clean....

Matter of opinion really
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 8:36:18 PM EDT
[#19]
I recommend the Octane first. It's more versatile. User serviceable, fits under rails, and won't interfere with a light like the Osprey will. Factory height sights aren't going to clear the Osprey either  so you are either going to have to get suppressor sights or learn to shoot through the can.  If you can, get both. If not, get the Octane first and pick up the Osprey later. That being said, why not a Revolution, Obsidian, or Ghost?
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 8:48:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Got my Octane 45 in hand a couple of weeks ago.  Lov  it and yes sights are blocked, but I can hit my metal gongs just as good sighting thru it.  And the rounds hitting the gongs are way louder than the shot thru the gun.....
I think either is good,  but I do like the Octane.  Btw,  got a ti-rant 9mm in jail for my second......
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:49:36 AM EDT
[#21]
I've got both.

I would trade the Osprey for another Octane in an instant.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 2:29:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I've got both.
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f49/postban/Handguns/Glock40MOS/IMG_20160419_105855_zpsjnawaemy.jpg
View Quote

Why?
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 8:38:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Why?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've got both.
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f49/postban/Handguns/Glock40MOS/IMG_20160419_105855_zpsjnawaemy.jpg

Why?

cuz I can shoot Cast and powder coated stuff through the Octane with no worries.
My 300BLKs, 35REM and 77/357 work great with heavy PCCB subs
Less FRP on the octane too, Osprey goes ~bang~, pfft, pfft, pfft...
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 9:19:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
How would you rate the frp? I'm an electrician so pulling lube is a non-issue.  Except for how what does stay in the can does it run out or does most of it get blown out overtime ? Or can it get  shook out  Easly ?
View Quote

FRP is noticable with the Osprey 45, if it exists with the Osprey 9 I sure as hell don't notice it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 9:22:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True but sights like Trijicon HD's will essentially be level with the top of the can and give you a clearly sight picture than with a traditional (non 1.25") can.  Lots of good info in this thread, I think the pluses and minuses of each have been covered.

I'll add, while I like SiCo, OP, if you are looking for a 1 can solution for everything I'd look hard at the Rugged Obsidian, it will be more versatile (full size & K configurations).
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 9:10:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I've got both.
.... Image....
View Quote

Ok what is the washer like device between the piston and the barrel? Where did you get it and does it stop a lot or the blowback?

Also as an owner of octane... After 15000+ rounds through it in not sure how anyone can say you can't fill up a centerfire can. They are full of #:@:... The fact that you can't open up the suppressor was the deal breaker for me. The extra 2-3 db can be the difference of 147 vs 158 bullets.

Granted osprey looks awesome.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 9:43:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Ok what is the washer like device between the piston and the barrel? Where did you get it and does it stop a lot or the blowback?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've got both.
.... Image....

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_20/461676_Idea_for_stopping_suppressor_blowback__updated_pics_in_OP_.html

I made it. Stops the muzzle crud from hitting you, does nothing for chamber ejected crud. About 50% less stuff hitting you.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top