Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2016 11:25:36 PM EDT
Greetings,

Posting some velocity data below, that some might find useful in selecting various host/ammunition
combinations for suppressor use:

Posted values are averages of 5 shots.

Other than being a customer, I have no financial or other relationships with the makers of any of the items/brands tested.
Also, I have no grudges or other reason(s) to make any of the tests nonobjective.

A few takeaways--

- CCI Stingers were indeed supersonic in every barrel length tested, down to as short as 3.3"

- For those deciding on an SBR barrel length:  5.5" kept even the hot bulk pack ammo reliably subsonic, but the fastest
"fliers" are getting pretty close to the supersonic range.  I did not have a 6" barrel to test, but looking at trends in the
data, suspect that adding 0.5" more would start pushing a number of shots into the supersonic range.

- Between the integrally suppressed hosts:  both struggled to keep the high-velocity bulk pack ammo consistently
subsonic.  The Operative TD did drop the velocity just a tad more, so if you're set on using "hot" bulk-pack ammo,
you will statistically get fewer supersonic "fliers" than you would with the MIST (but you will still get some).

Hope this info is helpful-- comments / input welcome.

SD

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 11:55:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for posting the data! Any thoughts on why there are isolated large SD variations - Thunderbolts on a 22/45 Lite for example? If the ammo was wildly inconsistent, I'd expect to see the same SD variation across the majority of the different hosts and if the host had an issue, I would expect to see big SD numbers across the different ammo tested. But it seems like there doesn't seem to be a correlation. Just curious.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 12:07:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Awesome, thanks for posting!
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 12:39:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Any thoughts on why there are isolated large SD variations - Thunderbolts on a 22/45 Lite for example
View Quote

Yeah, the Thunderbolts had the worst consistency spreads of what I tested; not only in the 22/45 Lite, but also
you'll notice in the Operative TD.  The only thing I can think of is that they're a bit older ammo than the rest and maybe
show a little degradation.  I still believe where the average falls out is probably generally accurate, but further testing
could probably run this down, if it's important.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 12:58:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Good stuff, thank you for sharing.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:41:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Excellent information.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 5:53:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Awesome. Thank you.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 7:39:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Great post! Thank you for putting together.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 5:53:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks all for the positive comments.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top