Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/9/2016 12:31:29 AM EDT
I got into shooting 3-gun a few months ago and just got my stamp back for a Silencerco Omega last week.  So far I've shot it once at the range and at one stage of a 3-gun competition I shot on Saturday.  I noticed a little POU shift when I tried it at the range so I didn't want to shoot it on a stage with long range.  I also noticed a little more felt recoil.  I have a 16" AR with mid-length gas and an adjustable gas block.  It's currently tuned to be just a little more open than is needed to get bold hold open unsuppressed.  Given that I'll need to sight in for POU shift and adjust the gas system to get the most out of shooting my AR suppressed I'm thinking I should set it up for one or the other and shoot it that way every time.  I have two concerns about going the suppressed rout for 3-gun and wanting to get some thoughts from other people and see if anyone else is shooting 3-gun suppressed.

*Dumping the rifle in a barrel with a hot suppressor mounted on the end:  I don't mind too much if I put some wear on the finish but wondering if I should be worried about damaging the suppressor or barrel by grounding the gun suppressor down in a bucket after shooting and transitioning to another gun.

*Will the extra length and weight slow me down?:  The Omega is pretty short and light for a suppressor but still does add some extra weight and length and I'm trying to decide if it's going to get in the way.

*Recoil:  If I adjust the gas block for shooting suppressed will it have less or more recoil than shooting unsuppressed with a good muzzle break?  Right now I notice more recoil, but I haven't tuned the gas block for suppressed use.

I do like how much it quiets the riffle down and currently double up on ear muffs and plugs just because of how loud my AR is with a muzzle break.  I'm comfortable shooting my shotgun and handgun with just plugs or muffs so if I suppress my AR I won't have to double up which would be nice.  I have a 300 BLK SBR that I'm planning to only shoot suppressed so it's not like my suppressor will go to waist if I don't use it on my 5.56 riffle that I use for 3-gun.

Sorry for the long post, I'm just having trouble deciding and wanting to get input and see if anyone is using a suppressor in 3-gun.  I've only shot in a few matches so far and haven't seen anyone else using a suppressor yet.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 7:01:40 AM EDT
[#1]
If it makes the match more enjoyable, then go ahead, but I suspect it will degrade your performance due to the extra length and weight.  Also, expect the can to get melted plastic/carpet stuck all over it from dump barrels.

I shoot a lot of 3-Gun, but my can stays at home on my SHTF SBR.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:35:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Check the rules under which your club runs 3 gun matches. Some limit the size of a muzzle devise on your rifle. This will rule out running a can.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:08:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:12:42 AM EDT
[#4]
I shoot mine in 3 Gun, I would definitely say do it.  If you are shooting under strict rules I think it counts like a brake, so if it is over a 3"x1" limit you are put in open.  Most matches are Outlaw type, they have always put me in tactical non-magnified optics not open even tough we shooting in match labeled as USPSA or Tarheel 3gun rules otherwise.   It would not have mattered to me either way, at the sign in table when they ask for class I typically tell them I shooting with a suppressor so that probably puts me in Open, and they have always put in in Tac instead.  If you turning down the gas your not at much of a disadvantage from a brake.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:23:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:37:49 PM EDT
[#6]
https://www.deltapdesign.com/suppressors/brevis-5-56mm-suppressors/brevisr-ii-ultra-5-56-nato-rifle-suppressor.html
7.5 oz and 3.7 inches

Roughly double the weight and length of most flash hider/muzzle breaks and give you full sound suppression.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 3:37:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Did that once. Ran my Halo in the 1st stage. All the RO did was bitch that the timer was not picking up all my shots. Which would have made a big difference in the last couple of shots. As a result my time on that stage suffer badly. Maybe it was me and maybe he tapped the timer after I was done. Don't know and never will , nor do I really care. After having to hear him complain about it. It was removed for the remainder of the match.
ETA I also shot that same match once with an M16. Some people though that was cool but most complained and made comments like 8 year old kids.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 5:00:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 5:29:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I had to re-shoot stages because of the shot timer not picking up also (but it picked up other's cans fine also).  The ROs have to get to close on the final shots or bump the timmer but they don't seem to mind.  Any can should be fine with that round count.  Turning down the gas system and having can acts like a mid level muzzle brake recoil wise.  It is going to weigh more no matter how you look at it.  My 12.5" with a reflex form 1 was shorter than all the 16"s and the others with Suppressed 10.5"s.  I went from like 46th place up to 15th my first time out with the can.  My guess is your shooting for fun or training like me so I would always roll with my primary setup.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 5:57:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks everyone for the input.  It probably will slow me down some but does add to the fun/cool factor.  I might try it again in the next match I do and decide what I think after that.  I'm just doing them for fun and not expecting to end up near the top with or without the can on.

Quoted:
I had to re-shoot stages because of the shot timer not picking up also (but it picked up other's cans fine also).  The ROs have to get to close on the final shots or bump the timmer but they don't seem to mind.  Any can should be fine with that round count.  Turning down the gas system and having can acts like a mid level muzzle brake recoil wise.  It is going to weigh more no matter how you look at it.  My 12.5" with a reflex form 1 was shorter than all the 16"s and the others with Suppressed 10.5"s.  I went from like 46th place up to 15th my first time out with the can.  My guess is your shooting for fun or training like me so I would always roll with my primary setup.
View Quote

Do you shoot in the Tarheel 3 gun matches with your 12.5" SBR?  How does it do on the long range shots?  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top