Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2016 10:56:54 PM EDT
I posted in here earlier today about acquiring a trust. Now that I've got the trust started (nfalawyers.com) I'm shopping around for my first can. I'll be putting this on a G19. It'll be a range toy/HD gun. I don't want to fire inside the house (lord willing that doesn't happen) and everybody lose their hearing. I'm debating between the Gemtech GM-9 and the Griffin Revo-9.

The Gemtech is slimmer and about 3oz lighter but would I be sacrificing some decibel reduction with a slimmer can? One thing to consider is, I carry the 19 from time to time and would not be installing suppressor sights so the slim can might be to my advantage. Also, the Gemtech is cheaper so that's a plus. Maybe there's something else in the $5-600 price range I should be looking at?

Any pointers?
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:09:20 PM EDT
[#1]
My advice would be to shoot a silenced G19 before you buy a silencer for it. For me, shooting a suppressed AR-15 is *much* more enjoyable than shooting a suppressed handgun.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:19:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My advice would be to shoot a silenced G19 before you buy a silencer for it. For me, shooting a suppressed AR-15 is *much* more enjoyable than shooting a suppressed handgun.
View Quote

Understandable. But for me, its killing 2 birds with one stone with this can. I really want to get my HD gun suited up and then branch out to the ARs.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:30:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Have you considered the Rugged Obsidian 45? It's modular like the Griffin, but it's also supposed to be more quiet than any 9mm suppressor on the market, yet it's a .45.....however, I don't have first hand experience with that claim, as mine just now got to my dealer yesterday.

I have a GM-9, and I like it....but you do sacrifice some sound reduction for the light weight and short length.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:43:35 PM EDT
[#4]
My research drove me to the Rugged Obsidian and Dead Air Ghost M.  

Like you I will be using it on a 9 mm but would like the option of using it on a .45 someday.  

At across the room distances lack of suppressor sites won't really matter and I've heard that once you get used to shooting over the suppressor you can still aim them alright anyway, considering there is a big piece of metal hanging off the front of your pistol.  

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:48:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sorry to take a tangent, but cruise why you consider shooting a suppressed AR to be more enjoyable than shooting a suppressed hand gun?  I have a Glock 17 that I sometimes shoot with a Ti-Rant 9 and find it to be very enjoyable and surprisingly quiet with sub sonic ammo.  I  just got an Omega about a week ago and shot it on my AR-15 this weekend and it was fun, but I don't it was quite as much fun as shooting my suppressed hand gun.  I'm wondering if I;m doing something wrong or if shooting my AR suppressed is going to be that much better after tuning the adjustable gas block for shooting suppressed.

I think shooting a suppressed handgun is a lot of fun and I'm impressed with how quiet a suppressed Glock is after reading online that they aren't the quietest host.  I ended up Ti-Rant 9 because I picked it up when they were really cheap.  If I was buying right now I'd probably go for the Griffin Rev-9.  I think it would fit your situation well with being able to shoot it in the full size configuration for fun to be really quiet or in the K configuration to be more compact.  It also seems to be priced pretty well for how good it is.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:55:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Sorry to take a tangent, but cruise why you consider shooting a suppressed AR to be more enjoyable than shooting a suppressed hand gun?  I have a Glock 17 that I sometimes shoot with a Ti-Rant 9 and find it to be very enjoyable and surprisingly quiet with sub sonic ammo.  I  just got an Omega about a week ago and shot it on my AR-15 this weekend and it was fun, but I don't it was quite as much fun as shooting my suppressed hand gun.  I'm wondering if I;m doing something wrong or if shooting my AR suppressed is going to be that much better after tuning the adjustable gas block for shooting suppressed.

I think shooting a suppressed handgun is a lot of fun and I'm impressed with how quiet a suppressed Glock is after reading online that they aren't the quietest host.  I ended up Ti-Rant 9 because I picked it up when they were really cheap.  If I was buying right now I'd probably go for the Griffin Rev-9.  I think it would fit your situation well with being able to shoot it in the full size configuration for fun to be really quiet or in the K configuration to be more compact.  It also seems to be priced pretty well for how good it is.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not too much of a tangent, the OP may find it helpful as well.

1. Handguns are fun because they're small, light, quick, pointable. With a suppressor that's longer than the host weapon hanging off the front, it goes from driving a sports car to driving a bus.
2. Suppressed Glocks spit a bunch of unburnt powder and crap back in my face to a degree that it was actually dangerous. Thankfully I only shoot with eye protection.
3. Handguns sacrifice some reliability with a suppressor attached.
4. Rifles are better for home defense anyway.

Basically, suppressors take everything that sucks about shooting a rifle and makes it better: Way less noise, recoil, and flash. Suppressors take everything that's fun about shooting a handun and makes it suck.

Just my experience. Some people here feel the same about suppressed handguns, some don't. That's why I recommend to anyone to shoot a suppressed handgun before they drop ~$800 on something they can't really sell, and won't find out until after the tax stamp clears.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:12:18 AM EDT
[#7]
A bunch of good input so far!  I have shot a couple of suppressed handguns and loved it. None of the handguns I shot suppressed were glock though. Unfortunately, I don't know many people in my area that own suppressors but, might be able to make a trip to a class 3 dealer/range and test fire some if they have that option.

Wcoats- that's a good point about the Rev-9 being able to adjust the size. Would be a nice option to have for different situations.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:38:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I would take a look at the Rugged Obsidian 45, they have optional 9mm end-caps if your looking for max suppression

That will be my next suppressor purchase later this year

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:48:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I would take a look at the Rugged Obsidian 45, they have optional 9mm end-caps if your looking for max suppression

That will be my next suppressor purchase later this year

View Quote

Depending on reviews, I might do that and Form 1 an MPX to put it on.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:57:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
A bunch of good input so far!  I have shot a couple of suppressed handguns and loved it. None of the handguns I shot suppressed were glock though. Unfortunately, I don't know many people in my area that own suppressors but, might be able to make a trip to a class 3 dealer/range and test fire some if they have that option.

Wcoats- that's a good point about the Rev-9 being able to adjust the size. Would be a nice option to have for different situations.
View Quote

I love shooting handgun suppressed also.  Most of the time, grit back in your face can be fixed with a different load.  I'm fortunate to reload, so I can create suppressor friendly loads.

I have 2 45 cans and 1 non-serviceable 9 can, so I had decided to get another 9 can that would be user serviceable.  I really liked the Rev-9 and had narrowed it down to that one, but have changed my mind to the Ghost-M or the Obsidian.  They are very close in length and weight to the Rev-9, so I don't really see a benefit for a dedicated 9 can for me.  Both the Ghost-M and Obsidian are modular like the Rev-9, so they can be configured short or long.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 5:44:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I love shooting handgun suppressed also.  Most of the time, grit back in your face can be fixed with a different load.  I'm fortunate to reload, so I can create suppressor friendly loads.

I have 2 45 cans and 1 non-serviceable 9 can, so I had decided to get another 9 can that would be user serviceable.  I really liked the Rev-9 and had narrowed it down to that one, but have changed my mind to the Ghost-M or the Obsidian.  They are very close in length and weight to the Rev-9, so I don't really see a benefit for a dedicated 9 can for me.  Both the Ghost-M and Obsidian are modular like the Rev-9, so they can be configured short or long.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is the decibel reduction that much better in the Ghost-M or Obsidian? I'm leaning heavy towards the Rev-9 because I don't foresee myself needing a can for 45. Not saying it won't happen though.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 5:55:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't think anyone has numbers for the Ghost-M yet, but the Obsidian seems to have very good numbers.  You probably won't be able to tell a huge differenct between all 3 of them.  I was basing my criteria simply on the length and weight.  If they are both close and suppress about the same, then why not get a 45 can just in case you end up with a 45 host down the road.  The downside of the 45 can over a 9 can in the past is that the 45 cans were longer and heavier.  The Ghost and Obsidian have changed that somewhat.  Although the Ghost is quite a bit more than the Rev9, the Obsidian is only $50 or so more.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 6:12:12 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Is the decibel reduction that much better in the Ghost-M or Obsidian? I'm leaning heavy towards the Rev-9 because I don't foresee myself needing a can for 45. Not saying it won't happen though.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The wipe capability on the Ghost would sell me for a 9mm home defense set up.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 6:38:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like the Ghost but the Obsidian and Rev-9 are in my price range. I'm still comparing the two and it's a tough one for me. A lot of people on here seem to think the Obsidian is the way to go though. So probably going to wait until they get back in stock and pick one up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top