Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 34
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 10:52:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Stay the course. Do not stray and you will be rewarded.
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 6:32:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm bumping this for post 4000.

It represents the $4,000 I will be spending on my MP5SD.

(Price includes two stamps.)
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 7:35:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Atta boy! There is just something about the MP5SD.
It's not the most cost-effective. Not the most practical. But it's a head-turner. And that's what matters.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 7:28:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Shameless bump until I actually buy my TPM Outfitters MP5SD.

Carry on.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 8:10:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Ya know, a nifty setup would be a full size MP5SD, but instead of the ported barrel and integrated can, just put an MP5K 3 lug barrel and use the standard MP5SD handguard.  Then you could use an existing 3 lug can under the handguard.  Get the SD look, don't loose velocity, and use an existing 3 lug can.  Kinda like a reverse stretch, but with the full length cocking tube and SD handguard.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 8:28:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Carry on.
View Quote

I like but $3650
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 9:12:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I like but $3650
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Carry on.

I like but $3650

Yeah. I know. It's a Holy Grail kind of gun. I still have some time to save; maybe I'll change my mind.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 9:21:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I like but $3650
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Carry on.

I like but $3650

Luckily I timed my purchase correctly and paid much less, but my TPM SD is worth $3,650 for sure. Matt at TPM is great to work with and the gun runs great. Fit and finish are perfect. People love shooting the SD more than anything else.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 9:35:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Luckily I timed my purchase correctly and paid much less, but my TPM SD is worth $3,650 for sure. Matt at TPM is great to work with and the gun runs great. Fit and finish are perfect. People love shooting the SD more than anything else.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Carry on.

I like but $3650

Good to know. I sent him an email a few weeks ago and he was quick to get back to me. Some of the other manufacturers didn't respond.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 10:11:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 10:31:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If you're in my neck of the wood, you're welcome to have a run at mine.
View Quote

I just might take you up on that.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 7:14:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 12:41:48 PM EDT
[#13]
I keep thinking I want one of these to go with my full-size and K Mp5s. I just don't know if I could get much quieter than my full-size with octane 45 and subsonic 147s. Anybody shot one next to a regular MP5 with a can to give a companions of relative quietness too?

I guess the look of it is half the fun too and being able to use 9mm 115grs.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 12:57:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I keep thinking I want one of these to go with my full-size and K Mp5s. I just don't know if I could get much quieter than my full-size with octane 45 and subsonic 147s. Anybody shot one next to a regular MP5 with a can to give a companions of relative quietness too?

View Quote

This is why I'm heading towards the SD. I want to shoot any ammo and not have to worry about buying subsonic.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 12:59:32 PM EDT
[#15]
I've heard the SD is significantly quieter. Having held one, I believe it. The silencer is very long, plus bleeding so much gas off so early on is a good combination.

They're heavy though. Not the silencer itself, but the forward portion of the receiver that houses the silencer.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 1:39:02 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote

I have the SD and full size with Octane 9.  To my untrained ear, the SD is quieter

Link Posted: 3/25/2016 5:56:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have both. I also have a KAC can and a factory HK (B&T) can for the SD. Both SD cans are quieter than the standard MP5 with a MK-9K. And as most know, the MK-9K is very quiet.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 3:54:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Damnit, now I want one. I've been thinking about a full-size MP5, but then I'll still want the SD. Maybe, just maybe if I get an SD, I won't have to get a full size too.

Goloud, what made you settle on the TPM Outfitters? Other than waiting for the MKE, do you think there's a less expensive option?

I see that the SD parts kits are $800. Do people normally buy a full size MP5, the SD parts kit, and send it to a smith for magic to happen?
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 4:04:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Damnit, now I want one. I've been thinking about a full-size MP5, but then I'll still want the SD. Maybe, just maybe if I get an SD, I won't have to get a full size too.

Goloud, what made you settle on the TPM Outfitters? Other than waiting for the MKE, do you think there's a less expensive option?

I see that the SD parts kits are $800. Do people normally buy a full size MP5, the SD parts kit, and send it to a smith for magic to happen?
View Quote

I'm still 3-4 months away from having the cash in hand.

TPM was quick to respond. Plus they are known for quality and it's an exact clone of an MP5 SD6 which is what I want.

The MKE's are "updated" which is cool, but I want mine original. And I emailed Zenith about the SD with no response. No response from Dakota either.

Plus, no subsonic ammo required.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 4:10:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Gotcha, communication goes a long way when you're dropping down that kind of money. I'm wondering if I can get an MP5SD6 for less than $3,000.

When you say the MKEs are updated, what do you mean?
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 4:13:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mine is a BMP unfinished barreled upper. I then finished it on my own.  Those uppers were a great deal. I wish I bought many more.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 4:16:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Mine is a BMP unfinished barreled upper. I then finished it on my own.  Those uppers were a great deal. I wish I bought many more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From the sound of your post, BMP is no longer an option. If you were doing one today (or maybe after a Christmas bonus), what route would you go?
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 4:21:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

From the sound of your post, BMP is no longer an option. If you were doing one today (or maybe after a Christmas bonus), what route would you go?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You may find one of you look around.

If it was easy to find the parts I wold send them to ghilliebear. Otherwise I would go TPM. I do not think dakota does SDs.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 4:24:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

If it was easy to find the parts I wold send them to ghilliebear. Otherwise I would go TPM. I do not think dakota does SDs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks. I have a while to save up, so I have plenty of time to read up. Maybe the MKE SD will be a known quantity by then, too.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 4:27:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Gotcha, communication goes a long way when you're dropping down that kind of money. I'm wondering if I can get an MP5SD6 for less than $3,000.

View Quote

Top rail, hand guard, non-standard grip, SEF trigger housing.

Aesthetics only.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 4:36:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Aesthetics only.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aesthetics only.  

Ah, I thought there was something else I was missing. MKEs don't have a top rail like the Dakota stuff, they just come with a removable rail section that can clip on. I've never used mine. Hand guard is a cheap part that's easily replaced in seconds. Grip housing is a more expensive part that's easily replaced (see mine, page three).

I don't mind swapping out little stuff like that to get it the way I want as long as mechanically there's nothing different. One thing I love about the MKE is that it's a double push pin lower. That was something that I couldn't swap my way into with another brand.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 4:45:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Ah, I thought there was something else I was missing. MKEs don't have a top rail like the Dakota stuff, they just come with a removable rail section that can clip on. I've never used mine. Hand guard is a cheap part that's easily replaced in seconds. Grip housing is a more expensive part that's easily replaced (see mine, page three).

I don't mind swapping out little stuff like that to get it the way I want as long as mechanically there's nothing different. One thing I love about the MKE is that it's a double push pin lower. That was something that I couldn't swap my way into with another brand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aesthetics only.  

Mind sharing how much you have in yours as pictured? I figured it would be just as expensive to upgrade as it would to start with a TPM.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 4:56:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Mind sharing how much you have in yours as pictured? I figured it would be just as expensive to upgrade as it would to start with a TPM.
View Quote

Base gun: $1675
Lower: $390
Stock: $260
Ghost ring drum: $65
Match sear spring: $18

922r stuff:
Bolt: $200
Cocking handle: $30
Hammer: $25
Sear: $25
Grip: $30
Magazine floorplates: $10 each (x20)
Magazines: 3 with the gun, bought another 5 genuine HK mags to go with it at $74 each.

Not counting the extra mags and floorplates, $2918 including the tax stamp. Then there's the Octane and tax stamp as well.

It's not at all an apples to apples comparison, but it looks like the TPM is $4,050 including the A3 stock + two tax stamps = $4,450. If you take out the cost of a silencer and the difference of the A3 vs. the B&T stock, the SD isn't much more expensive than a K-PDW. Maybe $500 more or so.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 5:01:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Thank you. That was about my assessment as well.

Quoted:

922r stuff:
Magazines: 3 with the gun, bought another 5 genuine HK mags to go with it at $74 each.

Not counting the extra mags and floorplates, $2918 including the tax stamp. Then there's the Octane and tax stamp as well.

It's not at all an apples to apples comparison, but it looks like the TPM is $4,050 including the A3 stock + two tax stamps = $4,450. If you take out the cost of a silencer and the difference of the A3 vs. the B&T stock, the SD isn't much more expensive than a K-PDW. Maybe $500 more or so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

922r stuff:

Link Posted: 4/10/2016 3:40:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Upon further research, TPM is half an hour away from me. I'm going to need to drop by there and get hands on an SD again and hopefully get some input from them.

I've decided to hold off all other gun purchases for an SD. I've gotten bit by this damn HK bug and now I "get it." I'd sell all of my AR-15s tomorrow for more HK stuff if needed, they really do live up to the hype. I'm going to hold off for Zenith's MP5SD to go with my Zenith K-PDW, but if they end up having trouble importing it or something else, then I'll go with TPM for sure. I bet Zenith could get it to market for ~$2200 + tax stamps, or maybe even sell it without a suppressor as a Title I firearm for less.

SD owners: What stock do you like? The A3 would be nice for transport, but it seems like the A2 would be nicer for shooting (ergonomics + balance). Do you like the A3 because you feel all Navy SEAL, or is it a better fit for the SD than the A2 stock?

ETA: Are there any issues with the SD suppressor unscrewing itself like other thread-on suppressors?
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 9:30:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
SD owners: What stock do you like? The A3 would be nice for transport, but it seems like the A2 would be nicer for shooting (ergonomics + balance). Do you like the A3 because you feel all Navy SEAL, or is it a better fit for the SD than the A2 stock?

ETA: Are there any issues with the SD suppressor unscrewing itself like other thread-on suppressors?
View Quote

1.) I actually dont mind the A3 on the SD for some reason. I use the A2 on my MP5, and leave the A3 on the SD, if I am bringing them both out. Otherwise, I prefer the A2 stock. But, the A3 isnt bad either.

No, have not had that issue. the suppressor seats up against a thick O-ring on the trunnion and that provides resistance against the can and seems to hold it on their just fine.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 9:36:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

1.) I actually dont mind the A3 on the SD for some reason. I use the A2 on my MP5, and leave the A3 on the SD, if I am bringing them both out. Otherwise, I prefer the A2 stock. But, the A3 isnt bad either.

No, have not had that issue. the suppressor seats up against a thick O-ring on the trunnion and that provides resistance against the can and seems to hold it on their just fine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool, thanks for the feedback. I was unaware of the O-ring, but that should definitely do the trick. I will have an SD. And probably both stocks since an A2 is so cheap. And maybe another B&T folder if I don't like the A3.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 11:22:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Go visit TPM. see what their lead time is like. See if they will do an ARF discount.

Seriously, what's your timeframe here?
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 4:03:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Go visit TPM. see what their lead time is like. See if they will do an ARF discount.

View Quote

Things are pretty hectic for me until I graduate next month, so it'll probably have to wait until about 5 weeks from now. Of course, if I get some free time then I'll go much sooner. Their hours are by appointment only, so it may complicate things a little since I can't just drop by unannounced. But I'll definitely update when I can make it over there. Good idea on the ARF discount.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 7:05:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Things are pretty hectic for me until I graduate next month, so it'll probably have to wait until about 5 weeks from now. Of course, if I get some free time then I'll go much sooner. Their hours are by appointment only, so it may complicate things a little since I can't just drop by unannounced. But I'll definitely update when I can make it over there. Good idea on the ARF discount.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was half kidding about the ARF discount. It seems like TPM is highly sought after and the supply and demand is in their favor.

What's your timeline for purchase?
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 10:22:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I was half kidding about the ARF discount. It seems like TPM is highly sought after and the supply and demand is in their favor.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If Zenith gets theirs going for a significantly cheaper price than the builders, I'll buy one as soon as it's released. If not, I might pick up a TPM late this year. 41F doesn't bother me, but election results will if the winner's name has a D after it.

What's your timeline looking like? 41F concerns?
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 11:50:06 AM EDT
[#37]
No 41F concerns other than headaches. Three months away from the full banana - factory SBR/A3 etc.

Quoted:

If Zenith gets theirs going for a significantly cheaper price than the builders, I'll buy one as soon as it's released. If not, I might pick up a TPM late this year. 41F doesn't bother me, but election results will if the winner's name has a D after it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/11/2016 1:09:08 PM EDT
[#38]
weird.

I called TPM today and I am swinging by their shop tomorrow to look at some MP5's.

Then I stumble on this thread.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 1:24:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
weird.

I called TPM today and I am swinging by their shop tomorrow to look at some MP5's.

View Quote

Get an arf discount set up
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 1:30:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
weird.

8.7% off.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 5:43:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 11:02:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Great. I just HAD to see this thread. I just HAD to be reminded that I really want an MP5SD. I just HAD to see all the TX people talking about visiting TPM. I just HAD to look it up and find out that they're right here in DFW half an hour from where I live.

The Form 1 for my MKE full size MP5 is just a few weeks from being approved and I'm already looking at another MP5. I might have to set up an appointment next week. You guys are going to cost me $4000.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 11:25:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Great. I just HAD to see this thread. I just HAD to be reminded that I really want an MP5SD. I just HAD to see all the TX people talking about visiting TPM. I just HAD to look it up and find out that they're right here in DFW half an hour from where I live.

The Form 1 for my MKE full size MP5 is just a few weeks from being approved and I'm already looking at another MP5. I might have to set up an appointment next week. You guys are going to cost me $4000.
View Quote

Welcome to the party.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 12:16:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Welcome to the party.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Welcome to the party.

No kidding. I've had my MP5K-PDW for 3 months. I thought about full size vs. K for a little bit, decided the K is the one that's always appealed to me more. I never had any interest in the SD. Then I kept reading this stupid thread and now I've decided I need an SD more than anything.

I've decided on a stock for my future SD. Instead of having to choose between the comfort of the A2 and the transport convenience of the A3, I'm going to use the same stock as what's on my PDW - the B&T long folding stock. It's the best of both worlds and looks awesome. This isn't the best picture, but it's the only one I could find of the combo and it's perfect: Here
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 12:24:54 AM EDT
[#45]
B&T makes a hell of a stock! It's what I use on my MP5k.

Quoted:
I thought about full size vs. K for a little bit, decided the K is the one that's always appealed to me more. I never had any interest in the SD. Then I kept reading this stupid thread and now I've decided I need an SD more than anything.
View Quote

I was happy just having 2 full-size MP5s... then I stumbled across this
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 12:47:59 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
I thought about full size vs. K for a little bit, decided the K is the one that's always appealed to me more. I never had any interest in the SD. Then I kept reading this stupid thread and now I've decided I need an SD more than anything.

Staying off this forum would save us all so much money.

I asked my wife if it would be stupid to spend $4k on an SD when I could instead spend it on a variety of other things, like books, electronics, etc. Her response? "Unless some Fahrenheit 451 shit happens, books aren't going anywhere. Get the MP5."
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 1:08:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I asked my wife if it would be stupid to spend $4k on an SD when I could instead spend it on a variety of other things, like books, electronics, etc. Her response? "Unless some Fahrenheit 451 shit happens, books aren't going anywhere. Get the MP5."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Smart woman.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 8:54:49 AM EDT
[#48]
I spent about 2.5 hours at TPM shooting the shit, and SDs yesterday!
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 9:36:43 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Awesome. Good guys? Good feeling? Package deals?

Can't wait to order.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 11:13:15 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Can't wait to order.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can't wait to order.

oh yea, they know their stuff and the quality of the guns was top notch. The place is really interesting. Just a door in a building with no markings, you walk in and there are hundreds of machine guns lines along the wall. Everything from m16's to SAW's, RPD's. You name it, they had it.
Page / 34
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top