Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 18
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 12:02:10 PM EDT
[#1]
To the contrary, I am simply reviewing it and leaving out my opinion. It would be annoying to my followers if every suppressor I did a review on was "so quiet!...wow, you gotta hear this!"  As my opinion might not reflect what someone else thinks after shooting said suppressor. We all have very different hearing and likenesses to specific tones and frequencies. My ears prefer a very deep tone and as such I love shooting 45 cans as most exhibit this due to the low back pressure. Most 9mm cans are higher pressure and exhibit a higher frequency and while that is better for masking a shot in your backyard (lower the frequency the farther it travels over distance/time) it really annoys my ears. YMMV

So I built a platform of showing the specs, up-close shots of the parts and a range live fire demo. This way the audience can take from it what THEY want and form their own opinion.

I also spent a CONSIDERABLE amount of time and money to set my quality apart from the rest. We now film in RAW which takes about 4 times longer to post edit as the files have to be sharpened, color graded and reformatted a number of times to get the rich quality you have become used to in the last 10 months. The files also take up 20 times the disk space. Apart from the visual quality, we have FINALLY found the perfect balance between the powered stereo microphone (most film in mono or internal stereo) and the settings on the camera. The result is the most accurate representation of the TONE during suppressed shooting. What you hear on my videos is what the tone sounds like in real life. The absolute best way to hear it is to watch my videos with a high quality over-ear noise canceling headset like BOSE has to offer. This is what I edit with now to ensure proper levels from clip to clip. It sounds absolutely wonderful! You can hear the suppressed tone, slide, bullet displacing the air downrange and the casing softly landing in the grass.

cont.....
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 12:02:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Aside from the suppressed shooting the unsuppressed shots are obviously going to peak out the microphone and are not a representation of much. But what I try to do is shoot unsuppressed....wait for echo back and shoot again so the viewer can tell difference between the audible reach of echo and tone during the following suppressed scene. I also shoot at a berm 100 yards away so the viewer is only hearing what they want to hear, not some annoying steel or bullet impact up close. The result of all the above is the best I can do to immerse my subscribers in the most accurate representation of a day at the range with the suppressor they are looking at buying.

I started buying suppressors in 2007-2008 and back then nothing like this existed which is why I started it. I had zero help other than some very slow traffic forums and old out dated dB reference archives. Which I learned that basing a purchase off dB numbers alone is a no-no as you just might not like the tone. These days the numbers are good to go for me as long as they are under 140dB. So anyway, I started The NFA Review Channel in the hopes of helping get more people interested to our addiction of NFA items. So far it's been a great success and every day I have less and less uneducated trolls comment on my videos and more and more educated buyers.

So thanks for watching on Full30 and youTube!

Adam
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 12:14:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 3:17:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I wish everybody could grasp that fact. Go shoot the can you're interested in instead of watching a YouTube video with some dB numbers on the screen, which may or may not be accurate. Based on your explanation above, a user should be able to get an idea of tone from your videos...I just don't have a decent set of earphones to try it.

I got a real life lesson in that with my F1 cans. Shot them several times, with several people from companies that deal with cans on a daily basis. Pleased with the sound, and so were they. Had a meter with us on one trip, but just two of my cans and no F4 cans. Some of them took a guess as to how they'd meter. I finally got a chance to meter all of them, along with some F4 suppressors, on a trip to Rugged. The results were about 10dB higher than had been guessed. But, that didn't change the fact they're pleasant to shoot. Haven't chased a dB since.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Which I learned that basing a purchase off dB numbers alone is a no-no as you just might not like the tone.

I wish everybody could grasp that fact. Go shoot the can you're interested in instead of watching a YouTube video with some dB numbers on the screen, which may or may not be accurate. Based on your explanation above, a user should be able to get an idea of tone from your videos...I just don't have a decent set of earphones to try it.

I got a real life lesson in that with my F1 cans. Shot them several times, with several people from companies that deal with cans on a daily basis. Pleased with the sound, and so were they. Had a meter with us on one trip, but just two of my cans and no F4 cans. Some of them took a guess as to how they'd meter. I finally got a chance to meter all of them, along with some F4 suppressors, on a trip to Rugged. The results were about 10dB higher than had been guessed. But, that didn't change the fact they're pleasant to shoot. Haven't chased a dB since.

If only it were practically possible for everyone to be able to sample the cans they would be interested in buying...

Rather then simply playing back the audible report, which is not representative of the audible volume/tone to the reader/surfer, a dB meter with graph output (using std protocols for mic placement/orientation relative to the muzzle) would yield metrics to judge each sample by.  I know this costs money, but it wwouldn'tbe plagued by the mic overload cutout problem.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 3:22:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
To the contrary, I am simply reviewing it and leaving out my opinion. It would be annoying to my followers if every suppressor I did a review on was "so quiet!...wow, you gotta hear this!"  As my opinion might not reflect what someone else thinks after shooting said suppressor. We all have very different hearing and likenesses to specific tones and frequencies. My ears prefer a very deep tone and as such I love shooting 45 cans as most exhibit this due to the low back pressure. Most 9mm cans are higher pressure and exhibit a higher frequency and while that is better for masking a shot in your backyard (lower the frequency the farther it travels over distance/time) it really annoys my ears. YMMV

So I built a platform of showing the specs, up-close shots of the parts and a range live fire demo. This way the audience can take from it what THEY want and form their own opinion.

I also spent a CONSIDERABLE amount of time and money to set my quality apart from the rest. We now film in RAW which takes about 4 times longer to post edit as the files have to be sharpened, color graded and reformatted a number of times to get the rich quality you have become used to in the last 10 months. The files also take up 20 times the disk space. Apart from the visual quality, we have FINALLY found the perfect balance between the powered stereo microphone (most film in mono or internal stereo) and the settings on the camera. The result is the most accurate representation of the TONE during suppressed shooting. What you hear on my videos is what the tone sounds like in real life. The absolute best way to hear it is to watch my videos with a high quality over-ear noise canceling headset like BOSE has to offer. This is what I edit with now to ensure proper levels from clip to clip. It sounds absolutely wonderful! You can hear the suppressed tone, slide, bullet displacing the air downrange and the casing softly landing in the grass.

cont.....
View Quote

You using any 3D Audio, binaural or dummy head record hardware/tecniques? I think your audio is pretty dang good and your vids would be a perfect application for binaural/3D audio recording....keep up the awesome work!

Good links to binaural vids:  https://www.hookeaudio.com
Good overview on binaural/3D audio recording: http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/12/8021733/3d-audio-3dio-binaural-immersive-vr-sound-times-square-new-york
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 4:39:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 5:06:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Come on ladies, you're all pretty.

On a more serious note, big fan of the NFA review channel, big fan of all the innovation and variety we are seeing out of the suppressor market, and appreciate that this discussion is (mostly) substantive in nature and not the kind of industry bickering we've seen in the past.  Curious to read more about this slot/blowback phenomenon.  Carry on gentlemen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not trying to start a forum war, we are some of the most down to earth people in the industry as well. I just don't agree with the marketing speak which hides a backhanded jab at other designs which I belive is not correct. Thats it. No less no more. On a other note I do like the can. It's cool to see companies putting their own twist on the Revolution concept like AAC, Rugged, and Dead Air.  I think we can all agree that competition is good for the consumer and the marketplace in general. We are also big fans of the NFA review Channel. It's done really well.  Also the spaceshuttle door gunner is a military joke that goes back decades. And belt fed rating? It's a cool concept if there is a set of testing perimeters describing what it exactly means.... which I have seen none of.  But we've got a 240L on the way to belt fed rate our stuff so no worries.  Good example when I was trained on the M110 in the military the program trainers instructed a sustained ROF spec of 7 rounds per minute. Marketing speak is cool and definitely fun to watch, +1 rugged, but  sometimes a little technical info is nice to accompany it so it can be understood.

On a more serious note, big fan of the NFA review channel, big fan of all the innovation and variety we are seeing out of the suppressor market, and appreciate that this discussion is (mostly) substantive in nature and not the kind of industry bickering we've seen in the past.  Curious to read more about this slot/blowback phenomenon.  Carry on gentlemen.

Who was doing modular length cans prior to the Rev45?
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 6:00:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote

Companies outside the U.S. where there is no NFA and "extra silencer parts" issue.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 7:43:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Companies outside the U.S. where there is no NFA and "extra silencer parts" issue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is true. I've been jealous of them ever since! They have some neat modular products across the pond. But I will say that our suppressors are built to last longer because of the NFA, whereas over there they just go buy a new one lickity-split.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 11:25:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not trying to start a forum war, we are some of the most down to earth people in the industry as well. I just don't agree with the marketing speak which hides a backhanded jab at other designs which I belive is not correct. Thats it. No less no more. On a other note I do like the can. It's cool to see companies putting their own twist on the Revolution concept like AAC, Rugged, and Dead Air.  I think we can all agree that competition is good for the consumer and the marketplace in general. We are also big fans of the NFA review Channel. It's done really well.  Also the spaceshuttle door gunner is a military joke that goes back decades. And belt fed rating? It's a cool concept if there is a set of testing perimeters describing what it exactly means.... which I have seen none of.  But we've got a 240L on the way to belt fed rate our stuff so no worries.  Good example when I was trained on the M110 in the military the program trainers instructed a sustained ROF spec of 7 rounds per minute. Marketing speak is cool and definitely fun to watch, +1 rugged, but  sometimes a little technical info is nice to accompany it so it can be understood.

Actually, I wasn't arguing the facts, just enjoying the subtle jab at peers.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 5:23:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Has anybody shot both the Obsidian and the Ghost? I'm pretty sure that's the comparison we're all waiting for, although I admit I'm very tempted to order an Obsidian right now.

Link Posted: 1/3/2016 6:13:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 6:19:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 9:41:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Any chance of pistons being interchangeable with another brand, or a 40 piston coming out?

Very interested, but I am shooting mostly 40 nowadays (subsonic and quieter than 45, don't have to use 147s like in a 9)
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 10:10:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 10:47:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Seriously? Did you even bother to read the thread? It was covered on Page 1, and then discussed in detail over the next couple pages.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any chance of pistons being interchangeable with another brand, or a 40 piston coming out?

Very interested, but I am shooting mostly 40 nowadays (subsonic and quieter than 45, don't have to use 147s like in a 9)

Seriously? Did you even bother to read the thread? It was covered on Page 1, and then discussed in detail over the next couple pages.

Nope, saw the thread on Silencertalk, came here, watched the video, and put one in my cart at Tarheel State Firearms

Good to know an octane piston will work, curious if the benefits are that huge for the Rugged pistons. It will be mainly used on Glocks and 92s and I never had major problems with them.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 3:27:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

A valid point.  No one.  Which companies in suppressors were doing suppressor mount brake shields before us?  I know 4 companies followed suit.  We aren't the company that whines and bitches about free market competition.  We just like "industry experts" to behave like it, and that means being honest in marketing.  When some sales person creates a dig on a working concept that has no reasonable foothold in reality, we're not going to say nothing as our products working feature is called a problem.

I've noticed sales people are often a source of total misinformation about products.  That doesn't make being uninformed professional, and it doesn't make misinforming customers a good practice either.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A valid point.  No one.  Which companies in suppressors were doing suppressor mount brake shields before us?  I know 4 companies followed suit.  We aren't the company that whines and bitches about free market competition.  We just like "industry experts" to behave like it, and that means being honest in marketing.  When some sales person creates a dig on a working concept that has no reasonable foothold in reality, we're not going to say nothing as our products working feature is called a problem.

I've noticed sales people are often a source of total misinformation about products.  That doesn't make being uninformed professional, and it doesn't make misinforming customers a good practice either.  

Just out of curiosity, what are the issues with locating the length extension module fwd vs aft on the tube?
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 4:32:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 9:24:33 AM EDT
[#19]
The demeanor that Griffin Armament has had in this thread makes me think they're butthurt about the Obsidian 45.

They just seem to be trying to smear Rugged in any which way they can.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 10:01:32 AM EDT
[#20]
What Rugged has done is made it so even if the outer tube is damaged, the end user can still ship the suppressor to them for assessment.  Whether the tube can be repaired depends on the situation, but at least the option to ship it is there.  According to 922(k), if the serial is altered, the end user can't even use it as a paperweight.

§922(k)

"(k) It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to transport, ship, or receive, in interstate or foreign commerce, any firearm which has had the importer’s or manufacturer’s serial number removed, obliterated, or altered or to possess or receive any firearm which has had the importer’s or manufacturer’s serial number removed, obliterated, or altered and has, at any time, been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce."
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 10:10:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Our pistons are propriety in that they do not utilize the slots found in other manufacturers designs. This allows for a full circumference gas seal that eliminates most of the gas blow back common in other pistol suppressors. The Obsidian will work with Octane pistons, however you'll notice a slight increase in blow back due to the slotted pistons.

Chris
Rugged Suppressors
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are the pistons proprietary, or will it use SiCo pistons? The pistons look very similar....

Our pistons are propriety in that they do not utilize the slots found in other manufacturers designs. This allows for a full circumference gas seal that eliminates most of the gas blow back common in other pistol suppressors. The Obsidian will work with Octane pistons, however you'll notice a slight increase in blow back due to the slotted pistons.

Chris
Rugged Suppressors

Hey Chris
I need to come over and see ya'll one day.  I need a .45 can for this thing:

Link Posted: 1/4/2016 11:28:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I would guess that when AAC went forward instead of identical to what we had originally done, that was just a means of product differentiation for the sake of having a dissimilarity.  Rugged here has sections on both sides- they have a rear section just like we do that houses the booster assembly, and they have a forward section like the AAC Tirant 45M.

I see the forward section only as reducing possible alignment error in the event that part is loose because alignment error further forward in the system will contribute less to overall runout, but Rugged has both parts (forward and rear with tube in the middle) to theoretically become loose right now, so that is a moot point.

When we did what we did with the original configurable concept, it was because we were informed in correspondence with the tech branch that a small section of tube, example a spacer, not designed for housing baffles, was not itself a sound suppressor.  The "K spacer" exists to allow the suppressor to remain fully shielded internally when configured short, with the external piston housing removed.  The booster housing piece of tube was already being done by the companies with retail sold accessory booster piston assemblies like Gemtech, SWR, and Liberty. We simply made the internal booster housing able to thread directly into the tube, or into the booster housing's external tube.  

When we saw what AAC did, which is similar to what Rugged did, it didn't make as much legal sense to us, as the piece of tube is actually designed to house baffles and a front cap.  So I don't know why that isn't essentially a separate, "Mini silencer" for all intents and purposes.  If a rear mount were fabricated to be put on the front section of these designs, it would itself become a separate sound suppressor, unlike our part which can't receive a baffle from the provided silencer, and also can't receive a front cap.

Rugged is also suggesting that marking the booster housing instead of the tube is somehow allowing them to replace the main suppressor tube.  The ATF definition doesn't suggest that to be a reality, and they probably know that, so this is probably another example of intentional misinformation for the purposes of sales and marketing.

The ATF is saying you can mark any external component, and replace that component, even if it is marked, as long as it is not the main suppressor tube / largest part of the silencer.  You can also of course repair the existing tube as long as it is not replaced, and still marked or identically remarked in the event that repair involves the engraved area, as far as I can ascertain from the definition above.  So per the definition, Rugged moving the marking accomplished nothing additional.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just out of curiosity, what are the issues with locating the length extension module fwd vs aft on the tube?

I would guess that when AAC went forward instead of identical to what we had originally done, that was just a means of product differentiation for the sake of having a dissimilarity.  Rugged here has sections on both sides- they have a rear section just like we do that houses the booster assembly, and they have a forward section like the AAC Tirant 45M.

I see the forward section only as reducing possible alignment error in the event that part is loose because alignment error further forward in the system will contribute less to overall runout, but Rugged has both parts (forward and rear with tube in the middle) to theoretically become loose right now, so that is a moot point.

When we did what we did with the original configurable concept, it was because we were informed in correspondence with the tech branch that a small section of tube, example a spacer, not designed for housing baffles, was not itself a sound suppressor.  The "K spacer" exists to allow the suppressor to remain fully shielded internally when configured short, with the external piston housing removed.  The booster housing piece of tube was already being done by the companies with retail sold accessory booster piston assemblies like Gemtech, SWR, and Liberty. We simply made the internal booster housing able to thread directly into the tube, or into the booster housing's external tube.  

When we saw what AAC did, which is similar to what Rugged did, it didn't make as much legal sense to us, as the piece of tube is actually designed to house baffles and a front cap.  So I don't know why that isn't essentially a separate, "Mini silencer" for all intents and purposes.  If a rear mount were fabricated to be put on the front section of these designs, it would itself become a separate sound suppressor, unlike our part which can't receive a baffle from the provided silencer, and also can't receive a front cap.

Rugged is also suggesting that marking the booster housing instead of the tube is somehow allowing them to replace the main suppressor tube.  The ATF definition doesn't suggest that to be a reality, and they probably know that, so this is probably another example of intentional misinformation for the purposes of sales and marketing.

Q: May a Federal Firearms Licensee repair a silencer by replacing worn or damaged components?
A person who is licensed under the Gun Control Act (GCA) to manufacture firearms and who has paid the special (occupational) tax to manufacture National Firearms Act (NFA) firearms may replace a component part or parts of a silencer. Repairs may not be done if they result in removal, obliteration, or alteration of the serial number, as this would violate 18 U.S.C. § 922(k). If a silencer part bearing the serial number, other than the outer tube, must be replaced, the new part must be marked with the same serial number as the replacement part.
The term “repair” does not include replacement of the outer tube of the silencer. The outer tube is the largest single part of the silencer, the main structural component of the silencer, and is the part to which all other component parts are attached. The replacement of the outer tube is so significant an event that it amounts to the “making” of a new silencer.
As such, the new silencer must be marked, registered and transferred in accordance with the NFA and GCA.

The ATF is saying you can mark any external component, and replace that component, even if it is marked, as long as it is not the main suppressor tube / largest part of the silencer.  You can also of course repair the existing tube as long as it is not replaced, and still marked or identically remarked in the event that repair involves the engraved area, as far as I can ascertain from the definition above.  So per the definition, Rugged moving the marking accomplished nothing additional.

For everyone new to the suppressor world...It's public strifes like this that caused the "GEMTAX" ..... go ahead and google that. Yeah that little feud cost us all the above.

Long story short AAC was remarking Gemtech tubes and building new cans with the old serial numbers. Until that point there wasn't a ruling against it. Then Gemtech went crying publicly to the forums and the ATF and BAM! We all suffer in the end. You can thank that little high-school girl hissy fit as the reason you can't just replace a catastrophically damaged serialized part. You rupture your serialized tube... your SOL..and it didn't used to be that way. Do not pass go, do not collect $200.. but rather pay ANOTHER $200 for a new stamp/can.

The fact of the matter is, Silencerco makes good cans, Rugged makes good cans, Dead Air makes good cans, Liberty, Surefire, AAC, Griffin, etc etc.... Watch your reviews, do your research and buy the can that best fits your intended budget and host goals. You really can't go wrong these days.... well, one place you CAN go wrong is listening to another company talk bad about another. Don't fall for it. Make up your own minds, buy what you want and be happy.

-NFA Review
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 11:43:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Hey Chris

http://youtu.be/HcFs5lGl1uk
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are the pistons proprietary, or will it use SiCo pistons? The pistons look very similar....

Chris
Rugged Suppressors

Hey Chris

http://youtu.be/HcFs5lGl1uk

Devin - shoot me a PM and we'll get something set up.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 11:46:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The fact of the matter is, Silencerco makes good cans, Rugged makes good cans, Dead Air makes good cans, Liberty, Surefire, AAC, Griffin, etc etc.... Watch your reviews, do your research and buy the can that best fits your intended budget and host goals. You really can't go wrong these days.... well, one place you CAN go wrong is listening to another company talk bad about another. Don't fall for it. Make up your own minds, buy what you want and be happy.

-NFA Review
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/4/2016 11:50:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

-NFA Review

https://ac3d197e9505f18c50e0-32b9f49f48b2c22be12b40ee79e2acc4.ssl.cf1.rackcdn.com/icon/logos_and_badges_like_button/j2lm0CeHbQRxugFMmozK/like-button-2015-06.png

Being happy is hard
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 11:59:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

For everyone new to the suppressor world...It's public strifes like this that caused the "GEMTAX" ..... go ahead and google that. Yeah that little feud cost us all the above.

Long story short AAC was remarking Gemtech tubes and building new cans with the old serial numbers. Until that point there wasn't a ruling against it.
View Quote

No, they were NOT remarking Gemtech tubes. They were taking NEW production M4-2000s cans off the assembly line and harvesting the Gemtech serial numbers. The reason there was no "ruling" is because that is illegal under a variety of laws, not just firearms laws but trademark and counterfeiting laws as well. It was a no-brainer it was illegal. AAC certainly was not the first to harvest serial numbers as this nonsense has been going on in the MG market for quite some time as well as other collectable markets from Art to Classic automobiles.

Obligatory photo of how Gemtech/M4-96C magically becoming an AAC/M4-2000:

Link Posted: 1/4/2016 12:20:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

No, they were NOT remarking Gemtech tubes. They were talking NEW production M4-2000s cans off the assembly line and harvesting the Gemtech serial numbers. The reason there was no "ruling" is because that is illegal under a variety of laws, not just firearms laws but trademark and counterfeiting laws as well. It was a no-brainer it was illegal. AAC certainly was not the first to harvest serial numbers as this nonsense has been going on in the MG market for quite some time as well as other collectable markets from Art to Classic automobiles.

<a href="http://s839.photobucket.com/user/Umbrarian/media/Guns/AAC/DSC07907.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz314/Umbrarian/Guns/AAC/DSC07907.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s839.photobucket.com/user/Umbrarian/media/Guns/AAC/DSC00617.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz314/Umbrarian/Guns/AAC/DSC00617.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s839.photobucket.com/user/Umbrarian/media/Guns/AAC/DSC00625.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz314/Umbrarian/Guns/AAC/DSC00625.jpg</a>

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Long story short AAC was remarking Gemtech tubes and building new cans with the old serial numbers. Until that point there wasn't a ruling against it.

No, they were NOT remarking Gemtech tubes. They were talking NEW production M4-2000s cans off the assembly line and harvesting the Gemtech serial numbers. The reason there was no "ruling" is because that is illegal under a variety of laws, not just firearms laws but trademark and counterfeiting laws as well. It was a no-brainer it was illegal. AAC certainly was not the first to harvest serial numbers as this nonsense has been going on in the MG market for quite some time as well as other collectable markets from Art to Classic automobiles.

<a href="http://s839.photobucket.com/user/Umbrarian/media/Guns/AAC/DSC07907.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz314/Umbrarian/Guns/AAC/DSC07907.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s839.photobucket.com/user/Umbrarian/media/Guns/AAC/DSC00617.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz314/Umbrarian/Guns/AAC/DSC00617.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s839.photobucket.com/user/Umbrarian/media/Guns/AAC/DSC00625.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz314/Umbrarian/Guns/AAC/DSC00625.jpg</a>

Thats what my brain was saying yet I typed it out wrong. Thats what I get for not proof reading! Thx Renegade!
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 12:45:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 2:25:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The demeanor that Griffin Armament has had in this thread makes me think they're butthurt about the Obsidian 45.

They just seem to be trying to smear Rugged in any which way they can.  
View Quote

I've seen them compliment the Surge, so I'm not sure that this is outright spite.  Maybe more of an honest - if terse - critique.

For the record, I've bought cans from both companies.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 2:48:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

No, they were NOT remarking Gemtech tubes. They were taking NEW production M4-2000s cans off the assembly line and harvesting the Gemtech serial numbers. The reason there was no "ruling" is because that is illegal under a variety of laws, not just firearms laws but trademark and counterfeiting laws as well. It was a no-brainer it was illegal. AAC certainly was not the first to harvest serial numbers as this nonsense has been going on in the MG market for quite some time as well as other collectable markets from Art to Classic automobiles.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

AAC did the stupidest thing imaginable, Gemtech gets blamed.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 5:49:53 PM EDT
[#31]

Yeah and why were those photos even taken. It's a monument to people who can't shut their mouths and enjoy a good thing.

Link Posted: 1/4/2016 6:28:49 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Yeah and why were those photos even taken. It's a monument to people who can't shut their mouths and enjoy a good thing.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

IIRC AAC put up the photos and were boasting about how they "repaired" the Gemtech.

Link Posted: 1/4/2016 7:24:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

why didn't gemtech fix the cans?
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 7:25:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
IIRC AAC put up the photos and were boasting about how they "repaired" the Gemtech.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/4/2016 8:27:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Looks like any other silencer with different milling
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 9:18:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Thats what my brain was saying yet I typed it out wrong. Thats what I get for not proof reading! Thx Renegade!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

NFAREVIEW, exactly what was your brain saying yet you typed out wrong when you stated "Then Gemtech went crying publicly to the forums and the ATF and BAM! We all suffer in the end. You can thank that little high-school girl hissy fit as the reason you can't just replace a catastrophically damaged serialized part. You rupture your serialized tube... your SOL..and it didn't used to be that way. Do not pass go, do not collect $200.. but rather pay ANOTHER $200 for a new stamp/can. "?

Sounds like your crucifying Gemtech to me.

Link Posted: 1/4/2016 9:22:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not my can, ask the owner or Gemtech. I certainly know what they DIDN'T do, which is make illegal silencers. AAC did that.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 9:35:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Not my can, ask the owner or Gemtech. I certainly know what they DIDN'T do, which is make illegal silencers. AAC did that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

While all of that is correct, the AAC that did that is long gone. About 1 owner, 3 locations and 5 ffls ago....... There might be an employee or two from those days still around, but those were the Wild West days of NFA.  

Link Posted: 1/5/2016 5:50:29 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

While all of that is correct, the AAC that did that is long gone. About 1 owner, 3 locations and 5 ffls ago....... There might be an employee or two from those days still around, but those were the Wild West days of NFA.  

View Quote

Like 5,000 Candles in the Wind
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 1:35:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

did someone go to jail, lose license, pay fine?

seems to me they were trying to help someone out because gemtech wouldnt.  

Link Posted: 1/5/2016 1:41:07 PM EDT
[#41]
This thread seems to have derailed!
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 3:29:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But if I help you out of a financial dilemma by giving you insider stock trading advice, that doesn't mean what I did is good in any way.

I don't know Gemtech's side of the story. If they could have fixed the can and didn't, that would be poor customer service on their part. If they couldn't, they couldn't.

I don't want to speculate about Gemtech's involvement. But if they complained to the ATF about AAC infringing on their trademarks, that shouldn't be perceived as them "crying" or "getting in a hissy", etc.

I would be very curious to learn the entire story from the people involved or who were there to watch the whole thing unfold.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 3:57:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:did someone go to jail, lose license, pay fine?

View Quote

This is the answer I want to know. It's real key in my Obsidian purchase process

no really
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 6:04:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 6:25:17 PM EDT
[#45]
This thread is about the Obsidian 45. Not AAC, Gemtech, Griffin or any other topic. Back to normal programming...

Link Posted: 1/5/2016 7:17:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Got the serial number for my Obsidian I ordered from QRF. Can't wait for it to arrive at my dealer so I can shoot with it. Hopefully the Form 3 doesn't take forever.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 7:52:22 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Got the serial number for my Obsidian I ordered from QRF. Can't wait for it to arrive at my dealer so I can shoot with it. Hopefully the Form 3 doesn't take forever.
View Quote

Thats great! Did my video help with your purchase or did you still have questions? Feedback is important to me so I can tweak what viewers want to see. I'm trying to cut all the yammering and fat from my videos so I don't take up unnecessary time from your day while you shop and research. Critique away!
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 10:24:27 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Thats great! Did my video help with your purchase or did you still have questions? Feedback is important to me so I can tweak what viewers want to see. I'm trying to cut all the yammering and fat from my videos so I don't take up unnecessary time from your day while you shop and research. Critique away!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I enjoy the portion of the review where you show the different mounts, endcaps, etc. and how they attach to the suppressor and how the suppressor attaches to the QD mount. I also like seeing the dis-assembly process for servicing as well as the baffles. Almost none of the other review videos show those details.

I tend to gloss over the shooting part because microphones and my speakers will never accurately capture the volume/tone of the suppressor.

Link Posted: 1/6/2016 10:32:02 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I enjoy the portion of the review where you show the different mounts, endcaps, etc. and how they attach to the suppressor and how the suppressor attaches to the QD mount. I also like seeing the dis-assembly process for servicing as well as the baffles. Almost none of the other review videos show those details.

I tend to gloss over the shooting part because microphones and my speakers will never accurately capture the volume/tone of the suppressor.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will agree with this. It's a no fluff clear explanation which I enjoy. I personally like to see size comparisons when possible. Example being showing the size of the razor next to the surge or a new companies 9 next to their old 9 or 45 offerings. Just to get an idea of size when possible to have those other examples on hand.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 10:44:27 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your video helped me make my decision to purchase.
Page / 18
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top