Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2015 12:48:06 AM EDT
Thinking I should get a .300 win mag capable can before 41P rolls around.   Lets assume that happens as we have plenty other threads debating that.

I would like maximum suppression and light weight.   So no QD system.

Thinking of this vs. the Sig cans or Silencerco Omega or Harvester.

Already have a fair number of Silencerco cans and you never know when Sig sees something shinier and decides to abandon a market.   That said, Dead Air is pretty much the new guys on the block.

My only .30 cal can is a SDN-6.   Currently used on a SCAR17 and .300 BO SBR.

Any other cans I am missing?  My dealer has the Sig $700, Omega $925 and Harvester $575 for decent but not great prices.   He's asking $700 for the Dead Air.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 10:22:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Dead Air might be a new company name, but they are no where near the new guys on the block. Mike Pappas and Tod Magee have quite a bit of combined experienced in the suppressor game and I would bet it's quite possible some of those cans you own are from a bit of their ideas. With that said for a precision can or hunting can I would bet the Sandman Ti would be perfect, of course it's great to hear from those who own them to help you mentally feel better while waiting. You can be the man who gives everyone that peace of mind down the road and give a great review, seriously I bet you will be beyond happy  with that purchase.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 11:07:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I hate to say this because I have a lot of respect for Dead Air, but I have a sandman Ti and honestly I like the Omega better. Omega is more adaptable and comes with both types of mounts, so in a few years if you change your mind and want a QD mount you have it. Also, omega is lighter in thread on form (14oz).

They also sound good on a bolt gun, I haven't tried the sandman on an SBR but I'm sure they are all similar. The Sandman does sound nice and I was pretty accurate with it.

The Sig SRD762ti-qd is sweet, but I'm getting fed up with sig promising stuff for years and never producing. I just canceled my two SRD556 cans i had on order.

The Dead Air is nice, but if i could only buy one I would buy the Omega. Its pretty hard to beat the Omega.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 11:11:10 AM EDT
[#3]
How would you compare them sound wise on the bolt gun?
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 11:15:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Ive only run it on an AAC Model 7.
its very quiet. like stupid quiet. honestly though all these cans with blk subs are pretty quiet to me. Its quieter than the SDN6 by a hair, toss up between dead air and omega.
Dead air has a nice tone to it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 12:52:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I went ahead and got the Sandman Ti.  Its nice to have options, but its also nice to keep it simple.   I have plenty other cans, at least compared to any of my shooting buddies.  

It will probably do mostly .300 blackout duty until I get the time to do more long range shooting and/or a threaded bolt gun.
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 1:16:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

its very quiet. like stupid quiet. honestly though all these cans with blk subs are pretty quiet to me. Its quieter than the SDN6 by a hair, toss up between dead air and omega.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I almost bought the Ti for my Micro 7 but bought the L version instead. Few more weeks and I'll have it in hand.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 12:31:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Bump for feedback, would love to know how it compares to Sandman L
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 1:41:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I got my Sandman Ti last week. Not many rounds through it but I'm very impressed with the tone it has.  I was told the sound reduction on the Ti and L models were basically identical.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 2:53:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I got my Sandman Ti last week. Not many rounds through it but I'm very impressed with the tone it has.  I was told the sound reduction on the Ti and L models were basically identical.
View Quote

Good to hear, with the mil pricing at DSG placing it $200 shy of SilencerCo's Omega, I decided to pull the trigger. Now just need someone to thread my K31...
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 2:14:08 AM EDT
[#10]
In an industry that chases SBR owners, silencerco isn't willing to accept any 6.8 SBR use with the omega.  They also won't comment on the thickness of their baffles either, which probably was sacrificed for weight along with the 'paper thin' tube that is glued instead of welded.  Seems a bit delicate for a 'full auto' rated can.  

Anyone have a field report on the Sandman-Ti on 11-12.5" 6.8 SBR?
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 12:09:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Why not a Thunder Beast Arms Ultra 9 direct thread?  

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 4:14:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Cost 40% more, and since its all titanium, the firing schedule is going to be much less forgiving getting to 800 degree manufacturer limit than a satellite bafflestack can.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 4:57:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
In an industry that chases SBR owners, silencerco isn't willing to accept any 6.8 SBR use with the omega.  They also won't comment on the thickness of their baffles either, which probably was sacrificed for weight along with the 'paper thin' tube that is glued instead of welded.  Seems a bit delicate for a 'full auto' rated can.  

Anyone have a field report on the Sandman-Ti on 11-12.5" 6.8 SBR?
View Quote

Fully agreed on your statement above.  

The Sandman -Ti should do awesome on the on that rifle.  It's almost exactly the baffle same stack as on the Sandman -L.  I would only go with the -Ti over the -L on that platform to save weight, though.  If you want it for both an SBR and a precision rifle, the -L is actually my preferred precision rifle can for it's repeated and super snug lock-up.  It behaves like a thread-on that will never loosen.

For the OP, the Sandman -Ti will really shine on 300 WM.  On a bolt action, I've metered 134 dB at the shooters ear and it was very comfortable to shoot with very little POI shift.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 6:58:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Ive been personally trying to decide between the TI and L
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 4:45:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I went with the L because one of the best features of the Sandman series is the QD mount in my opinion. As Mageever pointed out, and Twang N Bang raved about in his review, the precision of the QD system is fantastic. The silencer only goes on one way due to the indexing notch, and the taper mount, like all taper mount silencers, is a very precise way to align the silencer.

I bought mine for dedicated use on a precision rifle. Another thing to consider is that precision rifles are long. There's no way I could keep the silencer mounted to the rifle in my safe, so the silencer is going on and off the rifle every time I take it out to shoot. I would greatly prefer QD for that to having to thread the silencer on and off every time, creating an opportunity to screw up the threads.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 6:44:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I went with the L because one of the best features of the Sandman series is the QD mount in my opinion. As Mageever pointed out, and Twang N Bang raved about in his review, the precision of the QD system is fantastic. The silencer only goes on one way due to the indexing notch, and the taper mount, like all taper mount silencers, is a very precise way to align the silencer.

I bought mine for dedicated use on a precision rifle. Another thing to consider is that precision rifles are long. There's no way I could keep the silencer mounted to the rifle in my safe, so the silencer is going on and off the rifle every time I take it out to shoot. I would greatly prefer QD for that to having to thread the silencer on and off every time, creating an opportunity to screw up the threads.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great input thank you
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:01:52 AM EDT
[#17]
I have an opportunity to buy the Sandman -L for 929.  I don't know that I need it, but the price seems too good to pass up, especially since it is in stock.

Any of you know of a better price for one?
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:11:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have an opportunity to buy the Sandman -L for 929.  I don't know that I need it, but the price seems too good to pass up, especially since it is in stock.

Any of you know of a better price for one?
View Quote

I paid $869 back when SilencerShop carried Dead Air.

$929 is cheaper than I can find anywhere right now, even Capitol Armory, Hansohn, and THSF. I say go for it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:36:12 AM EDT
[#19]
It's a great can. The tone is much different than the omega. Buy buy buy!
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:44:56 AM EDT
[#20]
After thinking some more. I think the dead air ti is better than the omega for bolt guns and 308 or 300. The omega really shines on a 300 blackout SBR. Its a tough call but if you're using it on more than blackout I guess I would go with the Sandman.

That being said, shop around some more. Omega should be under $800 and Sandman should be under $700 easy.

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 6:36:29 PM EDT
[#21]
One thing I wish the Sandman-Ti had was the ability to take inserts for different thread pitches.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:05:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Got one in jail with Hansohn.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:31:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Thinking I should get a .300 win mag capable can before 41P rolls around.   Lets assume that happens as we have plenty other threads debating that.

I would like maximum suppression and light weight.   So no QD system.
View Quote

If you want light weight, TBAC ultra 7 (11.5oz) or ultra 9 (13.7oz).

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:50:51 PM EDT
[#24]
What's the word on a direct thread adapter for the Sandman-L?
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 11:04:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Ditto - Been wondering about the status of a direct thread adapter for the Sandman L and S.  Anyone in the know?
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 11:19:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 6:52:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Sorry everyone.  I missed this question.  I'm not allowed to give out ship dates or anything like that on this forum (per the mods), so all I can say is that it's in the works.  We have A LOT of accessories to come out with quickly so we need to get those rolling first, but I can confirm it's definitely on the list.

Link Posted: 3/2/2016 6:59:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Awesome news. I love the Sandman QD mount but would like a direct thread mount just for the heck of it.

Link Posted: 3/2/2016 7:41:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Sorry everyone.  I missed this question.  I'm not allowed to give out ship dates or anything like that on this forum (per the mods), so all I can say is that it's in the works.  We have A LOT of accessories to come out with quickly so we need to get those rolling first, but I can confirm it's definitely on the list.

View Quote

Not too interested in the direct thread mount, very interested in a lot of accessories.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 7:51:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Not too interested in the direct thread mount, very interested in a lot of accessories.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/2/2016 8:16:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Sounds like a bunch of guys that can't wait to get the latest outfit for their Barbie!  
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 8:27:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Sounds like a bunch of guys that can't wait to get the latest outfit for their Barbie!  
View Quote

Well duh
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 10:11:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

That added a lot to the discussion, thank you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top