Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/30/2015 9:07:34 PM EDT
Awhile back, I got a mount for a Specwar suppressor. The notch in my barrel wrench for flash hiders was a wee bit too big. While timing the brake, I marred the wrench flats. I have since learned from my imbecility, and bought a 3/4'' crescent wrench. I didn't mar it until I had already torqued it down. Looking at the mount, it doesn't look like I damaged the part that sits against the barrel/shims. The finish of the compensator has a mark where it rests against the shims, and the deformed part looks like it is outside of that ring.

I'm hesitant to use it with the suppressor. Will this cause a baffle strike? This is my first/only suppressor and I'm kind of paranoid about it.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 9:16:59 PM EDT
[#1]
If that spot contacts anything I would say it's bad. But from the ring mark it doesn't look like it will.

If you are concerned about it or it does make contact anyone with a lathe could probably true it up pretty easily and it would be a lot cheaper than buying a new mount.

And check the alignment after it's mounted.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 9:41:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I would have no problem with that
Ymmv
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 9:45:38 PM EDT
[#3]
should be no problem, however if you are concerned put a piece of sand paper on a flat surface and rub the damaged end on it a little to "true" up the surface.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 12:41:44 AM EDT
[#4]
It's fucked. I'll pm you my address. I can dispose of it for you.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 1:13:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
should be no problem, however if you are concerned put a piece of sand paper on a flat surface and rub the damaged end on it a little to "true" up the surface.
View Quote

Dont do this. At the most you can removed deformed material on the edge, but dont touch the mounting face.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 1:59:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I would have no problem with that
Ymmv
View Quote

None. Go shoot and enjoy.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 2:01:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If that spot contacts anything I would say it's bad. But from the ring mark it doesn't look like it will.
View Quote

this
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 9:59:41 AM EDT
[#8]
I'll be the one to disagree.... from the picture the rear surface is no longer flush and surface should be true to the shoulder of the barrel.  It is not worth the risk.  Have a machine shop fix it, or buy a new one.  As indicated in this thread someone else would buy the damaged used part and hopefully use it for a brake and not a suppressor mount

If the dinged outer edge does not contact the barrel shoulder you are probably good though.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 10:18:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Looking at the wear marks it doesn't look like the deformed portion would contact the crush/peel washer or barrel shoulder.  Even if it did, a few careful swipes with a file would remove the deformation.  I'd use it in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 12:15:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'll be the one to disagree.... from the picture the rear surface is no longer flush and surface should be true to the shoulder of the barrel.  It is not worth the risk.  Have a machine shop fix it, or buy a new one.  As indicated in this thread someone else would buy the damaged used part and hopefully use it for a brake and not a suppressor mount

If the dinged outer edge does not contact the barrel shoulder you are probably good though.
View Quote

Ditto.  As is, I'd use it only as  a brake.

Were you using a crush washer? It looks like you really had to wrench on it to time it, even with a slightly wrong sized wrench.  I'm not asking to be a dick, just to understand so I don't do the same thing someday.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 12:56:23 PM EDT
[#11]

personally, i'd knock the raised edge down with a file, and then *lightly* and *carefully* dress the whole surface on a stone.

that's probably all a "machine shop" would do...

Link Posted: 12/1/2015 1:26:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Were you using a crush washer? It looks like you really had to wrench on it to time it, even with a slightly wrong sized wrench.  I'm not asking to be a dick, just to understand so I don't do the same thing someday.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No, I used a gemtech shim kit. I installed it on a longer barrel to get a better look at how it mates up. It looks like I have a good millimeter between the edge of the shims and where the bump starts.

ETA:

Link Posted: 12/1/2015 9:27:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Dont do this. At the most you can removed deformed material on the edge, but dont touch the mounting face.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  I've done that to a silencerco .22 adapter and just filed down the high spots without touching the middle area and messing up the the true flat surface that was still left in the middle.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 11:39:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Looking at it mounted you are 100% fine to use as is.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 11:55:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Yup, pic is worth 1000 words.  I'd use that on that barrel.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 12:16:16 AM EDT
[#16]
.... But let's talk about the condition of that barrel!
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 1:03:45 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

why? I would hit that bitch with a file in a heart beat and not think twice?

ETA duh long supressor hung off it. ( <-- behind enemy lines currently and no legal fun stuff )

Link Posted: 12/6/2015 5:35:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, I filed down the bump very carefully, making sure not to touch the flat surface. I tested it today, and didn't get a baffle strike.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 6:22:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Yeah, you could file it down at the edge, but don't alter the mating surface unless you can guarantee you can maintain the angle.

I had problems with some muzzle devices where the barrel got in the way of getting a wrench on the flats.  Where all the wrenches I had were wider than the flats on the device.  I bought a set of extra thin box wrenches to get around that issue.

Link Posted: 12/6/2015 7:48:58 PM EDT
[#20]
This the best wrench I have ever used for that. Link
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 9:45:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Just shoot the damn thing. Another example of people waaaaay overthinking silencer mounting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top