Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/24/2015 4:38:58 PM EDT
Has anyone had an NT4 for a while? Likes/dislikes after the entire period of ownership? Barrel length and any noticeable wear as a whole, not just the baffles?
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 5:04:36 PM EDT
[#1]
In for information
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 11:09:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I take it you mean besides the twenty-odd years where some form of the KAC M4QD/NT4 was the USSOCOM and SOF standard suppressor?  

I don't know that it would be considered "long term," but I've had mine since January of 2011.    

The NT4 is heavier than more modern suppressors.  It meters louder, but the general consensus amongst those who've used them are that the tone is deeper and more pleasant than many other suppressors.  

Mounts are fairly plentiful and not too expensive these days, and don't look ridiculous - most people can't tell the difference between them and A2s.  

Mine's scratched up... that's about what I've got for noticeable wear.  I sprayed some paint on it, which has gotten discolored, and there's a couple of gobs of black melted plastic on it here and there.  

Dislikes:  I once forgot I was wearing shorts and have a corncob patterned scar on my inner thigh.  My own fault - I very rarely wear shorts.  

Here's the deal to answer what's most likely your question:

No one being even remotely honest with you or themselves is going to tell you that the NT4 is a "bad" suppressor.  It's not going to wear out on you, it's not going to break on you, hell, I'm not even sure it can be broken (okay, I'm being facetious there - but the point is, it's durable).  

What people will debate is the fact that it's a) heavy, b) loud, and c) expensive compared to the combination.  Not "two out of three aint bad" - it's all three.  

It was designed as a carbine suppressor, so durability under heavy firing schedules is its primary task.  There are suppressors that focus on sound reduction, there are suppressors that focus on accuracy, there are suppressors that focus on value and economy - the NT4 is none of those things.  The NT4 is focused on being a fucking tank.  

Barrel lengths?  The 10.3" M4A1 CQB upper was literally designed around the KAC M4QDSS.  

Beyond that, it's iconic, instantly recognizable, and has an irrevocable place in history.  

That should cover the concept of "likes/dislikes."  

What of that is important to you and where your priorities lie can only possibly be a personal decision.  

Most people decide against them because... well, because of reasons a, b, and c.  They don't feel like paying more for a suppressor that's louder and heavier.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 3:29:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I take it you mean besides the twenty-odd years where some form of the KAC M4QD/NT4 was the USSOCOM and SOF standard suppressor?  

I don't know that it would be considered "long term," but I've had mine since January of 2011.    

The NT4 is heavier than more modern suppressors.  It meters louder, but the general consensus amongst those who've used them are that the tone is deeper and more pleasant than many other suppressors.  

Mounts are fairly plentiful and not too expensive these days, and don't look ridiculous - most people can't tell the difference between them and A2s.  

Mine's scratched up... that's about what I've got for noticeable wear.  I sprayed some paint on it, which has gotten discolored, and there's a couple of gobs of black melted plastic on it here and there.  

Dislikes:  I once forgot I was wearing shorts and have a corncob patterned scar on my inner thigh.  My own fault - I very rarely wear shorts.  

No one being even remotely honest with you or themselves is going to tell you that the NT4 is a "bad" suppressor.  It's not going to wear out on you, it's not going to break on you, hell, I'm not even sure it can be broken (okay, I'm being facetious there - but the point is, it's durable).  

What people will debate is the fact that it's a) heavy, b) loud, and c) expensive compared to the combination.  Not "two out of three aint bad" - it's all three.  

It was designed as a carbine suppressor, so durability under heavy firing schedules is its primary task.  There are suppressors that focus on sound reduction, there are suppressors that focus on accuracy, there are suppressors that focus on value and economy - the NT4 is none of those things.  The NT4 is focused on being a fucking tank.  

Barrel lengths?  The 10.3" M4A1 CQB upper was literally designed around the KAC M4QDSS.  

Beyond that, it's iconic, instantly recognizable, and has an irrevocable place in history.  

What of that is important to you and where your priorities lie can only possibly be a personal decision.  

Most people decide against them because... well, because of reasons a, b, and c.  They don't feel like paying more for a suppressor that's louder and heavier.  

~Augee
View Quote

This question has been asked hundreds of times on this board and this is the best, concise explanation I have read yet.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:48:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

This question has been asked hundreds of times on this board and this is the best, concise explanation I have read yet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

~Augee

Auger never disappoints, very well spoken
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 10:27:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It was designed as a carbine suppressor, so durability under heavy firing schedules is its primary task.  There are suppressors that focus on sound reduction, there are suppressors that focus on accuracy, there are suppressors that focus on value and economy - the NT4 is none of those things. The NT4 is focused on being a fucking tank.  

~Augee
View Quote

I was waiting for you to reply to this thread...

Might as well go all in on one right?
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 10:27:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Auger, are you glad you bought the NT4?  Would you buy again?  

I just purchased a KAC Mark 23 can this year and it has similar downsides.  But I am very happy I bought it.  KAC silencers are an itch that are soooo fun to scratch.  I am always happy with their performance fwiw.  

Link Posted: 11/25/2015 11:44:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

~Augee
View Quote

Was on the fence when I made this thread, and I have since bought one.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:01:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Snip
~Augee

Price?
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:18:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Auger, are you glad you bought the NT4?  Would you buy again?  

I just purchased a KAC Mark 23 can this year and it has similar downsides.  But I am very happy I bought it.  KAC silencers are an itch that are soooo fun to scratch.  I am always happy with their performance fwiw.  
View Quote

When I bought mine, Major Malfunction was still selling direct, and had pretty decent prices on them.  There was no such thing as the Surefire SOCOM, and other Surefire suppressors were only a $150 or so less than the KAC, and didn't come with a mount.  (Still wish I'd've picked up a 212 at the time - in addition to the NT4, not instead of, but that's neither here nor there)

With that being said - if I had the money, and didn't have one already, yes, I would still get one.  To he honest, I have a lot of other items on "the list" currently, but I'd love to eventually get another one in black (mine is taupe).

For me, my priorities were first and foremost durability, which the KAC, as I've already intimated is still, IMHO, the top of the list.  That's not to say other suppressors aren't durable, the KAC is just arguably "overbuilt."  

Besides that, it should come as no surprise that military carbines and history, and SOPMOD M4s in particular are one of my chief interests, and finally, the NT4 was suppressor that I had used and carried, not much or often, but I had some personal history with it as well.  

I'm very happy with mine.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 4:00:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Price?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Snip
~Augee

Price?

1495 for a fde/taupe. About average I'd say.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:14:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:13:44 PM EDT
[#12]
The NT4 is a down and dirty tank of a suppressor.

The lock up mechanism isn't all that technical,  which means, it's less likely to need repair, unlike some cans with "teeth".

FWIW, I've never seen or heard of anyone needing their NT4 repared.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 12:08:39 AM EDT
[#13]
I've had mine since 2008 with well over 10k rounds on it (around 9k on 10.5" barrels).  I can feel where the baffle has worn, but it still has a lot of life left in it.

Cons:
- it's heavy
- it's not the quietest
- POI shift
- the mounting latch can become seized after a long firing schedule

Pros:
- it has outlived one colt 14.5" barrel, 2 LMT 10.5" barrels, 1 Noveske CHF barrel, and countless bolts
- Its still going
- it's so heavy, I can bludgeon someone to death with it

I'm sure there is other things that I'll remember later.  I'll try and post some pics.  Let me know if you have any other questions.

R.

Marco
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 12:25:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've had mine since 2008 with well over 10k rounds on it (around 9k on 10.5" barrels).  I can feel where the baffle has worn, but it still has a lot of life left in it.

Cons:
- it's heavy
- it's not the quietest
- POI shift

Pros:
- it has outlived one colt 14.5" barrel, 2 LMT 10.5" barrels, 1 Noveske CHF barrel, and countless bolts
- Its still going

I'm sure there is other things that I'll remember later.  I'll try and post some pics.  Let me know if you have any other questions.

R.

Marco
View Quote

4 barrels in 9k rounds or are you not counting the unsuppressed rounds too?
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 1:24:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cons:
- it's heavy
- it's not the quietest
- POI shift

Pros:
- Its still going

R.

Marco

I'm not counting un-suppressed rounds, but one LMT 10.5" barrel didn't last very long, around 3.5k suppressed before I started having cyclic issue, blown primers and it wouldn't group well.  The second 10.5" was replaced due to gas port erosion.  The colt 14.5" upper was purchased used.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top