Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2015 11:08:23 AM EDT
I have a bunch of 380 to shoot up and thought my next pistol should be a 380 and set up for my first pistol can.  What are my choices?
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 11:51:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I really want to get my CZ 83 threaded but IIRC, someone said it was a no go.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 1:53:23 PM EDT
[#2]
The Sig P238 has been used as a host.

And as far as the CZ goes; It has been done.

DeGroat NANO on CZ-83
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 6:17:51 PM EDT
[#3]
What about a Walther PPK?
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 8:27:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

^^^This
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:30:38 PM EDT
[#5]
original remington model 51s
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:11:25 AM EDT
[#6]
A Makarov would be neat.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:29:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Beretta 87 FTW.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 6:56:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

^^^This
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

^^^This

Straight blowback = no bueno.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:52:44 AM EDT
[#9]
I had a Browning BDA back in the 80s that i enjoyed shooting.

But these look neat

PSA
NEVER SELL A GUN THAT WORKS!
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 5:50:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd like to get my Beretta 84BB threaded, but not sure it can handle the weight of my Octane 45
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:12:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'd like to get my Beretta 84BB threaded, but not sure it can handle the weight of my Octane 45
View Quote

Sounds like you need a Ti-rant 9s
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:10:21 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm looking at the G42.

Wonder  if the cz skorpion got released on 380?
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:49:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Is anyone making a threaded barrel for the G42 yet?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:13:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:18:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
There are several issues with suppressing the .380 pistol. This, of course, does not apply to the MAC M11 originally built in .380.

First is availability of obtaining extended barrels that are or can be threaded. Usually the wall thickness is not adequate for successful extending with an adapter.

Second is that the weapon is usually a simple blowback and is designed to cycle as an unlocked breech weapon. This includes the recoil spring, slide mass, etc. being designed to handle the time under pressure (dwell) of the bullet in the barrel. A suppressor will increase the dwell, which results in increased opening slide velocity. There are two net effects: first, there is more residual pressure in the bore when the chamber opens and ejects the cartridge (more ejection port noise). Second, with increased rearward velocity, there is a bounce against the slide stop and increased forward bolt velocity with the result that the magazine spring doesn't get the next cartridge in place for the both face to catch the rim. Frequently, the bottom edge of the bolt face will pull the next round out of the magazine by catching it forward of the rim.

There is a cure in that machining a tiny ring (groove) mid chamber will slow opening by having the brass momentarily expand into the groove. The trick (which varies with the weapon), is to have the ring deep enough to do the job with the suppressor attached and continue to have reliable functioning when the suppressor is not used. Of course, the eject brass left on the ground at the scene then looks really wierd and makes it easier for the police to identify the weapon.
View Quote

As long a I am not planning on assassinating anyone, what pistols have that sort of feature? Or is it specific to aftermarket barrels?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:20:08 PM EDT
[#16]
So the G42 would be a candidate for suppression as it's not a blowback action, correct?

As long as we can find aftermarket barrels made correctly?

And it sounds like the groove in the chamber is customized for the suppressor?  Sounds like a good combo package for Gem  tech:  buy whatever suppressor and get a tuned barrel for your pistol

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:38:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
There are several issues with suppressing the .380 pistol. This, of course, does not apply to the MAC M11 originally built in .380.

First is availability of obtaining extended barrels that are or can be threaded. Usually the wall thickness is not adequate for successful extending with an adapter.

Second is that the weapon is usually a simple blowback and is designed to cycle as an unlocked breech weapon. This includes the recoil spring, slide mass, etc. being designed to handle the time under pressure (dwell) of the bullet in the barrel. A suppressor will increase the dwell, which results in increased opening slide velocity. There are two net effects: first, there is more residual pressure in the bore when the chamber opens and ejects the cartridge (more ejection port noise). Second, with increased rearward velocity, there is a bounce against the slide stop and increased forward bolt velocity with the result that the magazine spring doesn't get the next cartridge in place for the both face to catch the rim. Frequently, the bottom edge of the bolt face will pull the next round out of the magazine by catching it forward of the rim.

There is a cure in that machining a tiny ring (groove) mid chamber will slow opening by having the brass momentarily expand into the groove. The trick (which varies with the weapon), is to have the ring deep enough to do the job with the suppressor attached and continue to have reliable functioning when the suppressor is not used. Of course, the eject brass left on the ground at the scene then looks really wierd and makes it easier for the police to identify the weapon.
View Quote

Interested in this groove mod for a CZ83
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:10:16 AM EDT
[#18]
As mentioned by PHD, the issue with the G42 would be the barrel (or lack thereof).  It's locked breech so that does take care of one issue.  If anyone knows of a threaded G42 barrel I'd be very interested, to say the least.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:22:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:18:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

or walther PK380

Walther is all about the suppressor usage....at least in free countries (non-US)
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:30:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

or walther PK380

Walther is all about the suppressor usage....at least in free countries (non-US)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

or walther PK380

Or a Sig 232.

God thatd be sexy
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:51:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Great. Now we're going to see "chamber grooving" as the next microstamping in places like California when some politician stumbles across this thread...  That is a cool mod though that I wouldn't have thought of, using the casing itself to arrest the slide. "Casing delayed blowback" I suppose!
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:13:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

There are no aftermarket barrels that I know of with ringed chambers. This is a trial and error process.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As long a I am not planning on assassinating anyone, what pistols have that sort of feature? Or is it specific to aftermarket barrels?

There are no aftermarket barrels that I know of with ringed chambers. This is a trial and error process.

So are you offering this service?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:02:11 PM EDT
[#24]
I had a SIG P230 threaded for a comp and I had an extension made that would hold a suppressor threaded at .5x28. There is a threaded sleeve that screwed over the barrel threads to allow you disassemble the pistol. The single port comp works well and all the work was done by Cogan before he moved out of Safety Harbor, FL. The fixed barrel of the SIG allows for a few more options.

It's now my FIL's home defense pistol. He's in his 80's and still shoots weekly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top