Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2015 11:35:14 AM EDT
My first form 4 is hopefully right around the corner to being approved and seeing as wait times are going up again I feel myself getting the itch for another can. I'm starting a mk18 inspired build and am looking at 556 suppressors. Besides being clone correct, why would one buy a Socom 556 over any of the other options given some of the deals out there for them? What, objectively speaking, makes this suppressor good or bad?
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 12:00:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I own several different makes of cans and this is my synopsis

The surefire at full retail is kind of hard to digest. The rc series is on par with weight and the mounting system is fast and effective. The level of suppression is a little lackluster but its a trade off because the socom doesn't increase bolt speed or backpressure so the gun is easier to shoot. For example you'll find your mk18 is extremely over gassed after its together and running, when I run my mk18 with my socom it's less gas back in your face than when I shot my aac or my yhm on the same setup. Also not having to sight in your rifle with the can and without is a huge benefit my socom moves poi less than .5" at 100 yds. Plus the surefire can mitigates flash at night better than any other can I own.

If you can find a deal on the socom for 800 to 900 dollars they are worth it but for 1100 to 1200 they're simply not worth it. 6 months ago you couldn't touch a rc for less than 1050 now people are offering deals so I'm going to snatch up another. hence my post that you replied to earlier. (Thanks BTW)

Put another way a mediocre can like an aac is 500 to 700 silencerco is around the same price, one of the arguably best cans with the higher resale value if needed (though not recommended) is only 250 more with a mount. The surefire brakes work great as well. Plus after release of the socom 2 version you'll never be able to get an rc again most likely

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 12:27:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Build isn't going to be 100% correct as I'm more than likely going to use a MicroMoa or Syrac adjustable gas block and a Ballistic advantage 10.3 instead of a DD or cut down colt. So gas blowback isn't a massive concern for me.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 12:38:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Build isn't going to be 100% correct as I'm more than likely going to use a MicroMoa or Syrac adjustable gas block and a Ballistic advantage 10.3 instead of a DD or cut down colt. So gas blowback isn't a massive concern for me.
View Quote

Adjustable gas block or not it needs to be a concern, the less the better.

Surefire is the way to go, only comparable can is the KAC and they are even more $$$$, Sakers are decent but RC>Saker and I own multiples of both.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 12:39:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Well that is one of the primary advantages to the socom, so that being said i would probably select a silencerco they seem to be readily available and feature packed for the price. If you can stomach the 800 for the socom from arms unlimited i'd go that route. If price is an option select a silencerco or aac they're the best bang for the buck (no pun intended)

I like all my cans but if i could go back i'd probably spend the extra money on a better can, I'd rather have owned 2 socoms than have an aac and the extra 400 dollars. but this was 6 years ago silencerco hadn't exploded onto the scene yet. I'm liking what i see from silencerco as of lately but have so many 556 can's and mounts i can't stomach having to buy another can and mounting setup from a different manufacturer.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 1:53:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I like mine.  Solid mount, very minimal backblast, extremely enjoyable to shoot.

Gets stuck on the mount (mine does, anyways) after it cools, I've been told to lube the muzzle brake with Fireclean before shooting and it will come off when it cools.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 2:50:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I like mine.  Solid mount, very minimal backblast, extremely enjoyable to shoot.

Gets stuck on the mount (mine does, anyways) after it cools, I've been told to lube the muzzle brake with Fireclean before shooting and it will come off when it cools.
View Quote

I don't have an RC, but I have two SB's, a Mini 556, and a 762 RC.  I really like my Surefire cans.  Compared to my other cans the blowback on the Surefire's are very low.  As others have stated the POI shift is almost nil.  On a Mk18 they are awesome!

On the "sticking on the mount" issue:  I've yet to have this happen.  I have liberally applied Froglube to the mounts I use and tend to unlock the cans while they are still hot (using a hotpad).
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 4:10:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:I don't have an RC, but I have two SB's, a Mini 556, and a 762 RC.
View Quote

Why 2 SB's?
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 5:35:43 PM EDT
[#8]
^Cause 1 is none

The RC is fantastic.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 6:55:02 PM EDT
[#9]
For people who own an rc, what's your blast baffle look like? I saw a couple that were fairly chewed up given their relatively low round count.

Edited for my phone's horrible grammar
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 6:56:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Double tap
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 7:27:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
For people who own an rc, what's your blast baffle look like? I saw a couple that we're fairly chewed up given their relatively low round count.
View Quote

Ill check a little later.

Ive never bothered looking.  I have probably close to 2k rounds through it so far.  Even a little like this
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:30:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Why 2 SB's?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:I don't have an RC, but I have two SB's, a Mini 556, and a 762 RC.

Why 2 SB's?

Black and FDE.  Plus, Silencershop was having a wicked sale last year.....  And two is one.....

ETA - Surefire pic.  762RC, both 556SB's, and the 556 Mini.  The 556 Mini Monster is still in jail....

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:32:27 AM EDT
[#13]
I own AAC, Surefire, and SilencerCo 5.56 cans.

The RC is loudest by a substantial margin. It is smallest by a slim margin and about on-par for weight. It has less, but not zero, gas in the face. It has the most rigid mounting system, but also the most likely to get carbon-locked onto the host. Durability is good but so are the inconel and stellite products from other companies.

I would echo the above: the RC is a reasonable option in the 800-900 range. At 1100-1300 it is a dumb purchase when the Saker K exists, unless you simply must have it for a clone build.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:30:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The RC is loudest by a substantial margin. It is smallest by a slim margin and about on-par for weight. It has less, but not zero, gas in the face. It has the most rigid mounting system, but also the most likely to get carbon-locked onto the host. Durability is good but so are the inconel and stellite products from other companies.

I would echo the above: the RC is a reasonable option in the 800-900 range. At 1100-1300 it is a dumb purchase when the Saker K exists, unless you simply must have it for a clone build.
View Quote

That's bullshit, RC might be a little louder on a 16" barrel but what goofball shoots suppressed with a 16" barrel?

Outside of the RC's first round pop, both muzzle and shooter's ear Dbs are virtually indistinguishable between the FULL size saker & RC.  I also find the full size Saker SUBSTANTIALLY larger than the RC, size is important since I don't want to make my SBRS cumbersome.

http://youtu.be/a_LuHzfzYtc

I've shot up to 400 rounds in a single session through my RC's & Mini SOCOMS, I use a brake for the mount and I've never gotten mine carbon locked.  I use fireclean both on the mount and inside of the can, that may help but it's a simple thing to do.  To OP I own multiple RCs & Sakers so my upon is valid.  Do note some have reported carbon locking their Sakers, I suggest fireclean with the Saker as well.

AAC flat out sucks, a great many people have issues with their garbage mounts & their customer service is horrendous under freedom group.  Their older generation cans had good sound performance (lacked a little with flash performance) though (mount issue alone should be a deal breaker).  Their newer generation cans have an "improved" mounting system that is still well behind the rest of the industry and the new cans are actually substantially louder than everyone else's cans.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:53:22 AM EDT
[#15]
To the above post on sound, my Saker 762 is still in jail.  However, I have a gen 1 AAC M4-2000 (old 18t mount), a Griffon M4SDK, a Gemtech Trek-T, and a Thunderbeast CB9 in my collection.

The Surefire 762 is quieter than any of my 556 cans.  The 556-SB's have a different tone than the AAC, but are no louder.  They are quieter than the Trek-T.  The M4SDK is on par with the M4-2000 even though it's smaller.  Blowback is the worst on the Griffon though.  Obviously the Mini is louder, but it does knock the edge off SBR's and the length and weight are awesome.

So, to my untuned ear, I'd rather have the basically zero POI shift and excellent functioning (less back pressure) of the Surefire cans vs others.

The Saker sure seems like a good can (I sure hope so as mine will be getting out of jail in a week or two).  It all depends on what your future plans are.  If you are only gonna get one rifle can, then get a jack of all trades can like a Saker or Omega.  If you are going to get multiple cans and are going to go down the black hole that is cloning, the Surefire (especially at current pricing) is a no brainier.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:39:09 AM EDT
[#16]
I will 2nd that the surefire soccom is louder. I have one and like it. I bought it for exclusive use on my m16 because it does not give me as much gas in the face and the lockup is solid. It is also very compact and I have had great customer service from surefire in the past with lights and magazines.

My aac cans are noticeably quieter but the aac mounts suck and the latch on the cans will need replacing at some time. (M4200 and 7.62 sdn-6).

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:31:24 AM EDT
[#17]
How do you guys like the Minis? Would you recommend picking one up or a second 556RC? Hosts would be a 10.4" MR556 and 16" Tavor
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:48:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
How do you guys like the Minis? Would you recommend picking one up or a second 556RC? Hosts would be a 10.4" MR556 and 16" Tavor
View Quote

I grabbed another RC, because ArmsUnlimited has them for $799 right now.  I would like to add a mini though - somewhere had/has FDE SOCOM minis for ~$850 IIRC, but don't remember which dealer.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 12:50:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

For what you're running, flip a coin.  I'd run the RC on the 10.4 for sure and the Tavor could go either way.  I use my mini's on 14.5 SBRs, but the Tavor is a different animal, depends on what you value more, short length or sound suppression?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 12:50:25 PM EDT
[#20]
I too just picked up another SOCOM from Arms Unlimited. I went with the 556rc to join my 762rc, 762mini, and 556 SB. I hope to pick up a 556 Mini and SOCOM 68 later down the road to complete the family. As long as I get them for a great price. OP go for it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 1:22:43 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
That's bullshit, RC might be a little louder on a 16" barrel but what goofball shoots suppressed with a 16" barrel?

Outside of the RC's first round pop, both muzzle and shooter's ear Dbs are virtually indistinguishable between the FULL size saker & RC.  I also find the full size Saker SUBSTANTIALLY larger than the RC, size is important since I don't want to make my SBRS cumbersome.

I've shot up to 400 rounds in a single session through my RC's & Mini SOCOMS, I use a brake for the mount and I've never gotten mine carbon locked.  I use fireclean both on the mount and inside of the can, that may help but it's a simple thing to do.  To OP I own multiple RCs & Sakers so my upon is valid.  Do note some have reported carbon locking their Sakers, I suggest fireclean with the Saker as well.

AAC flat out sucks, a great many people have issues with their garbage mounts & their customer service is horrendous under freedom group.  Their older generation cans had good sound performance (lacked a little with flash performance) though (mount issue alone should be a deal breaker).  Their newer generation cans have an "improved" mounting system that is still well behind the rest of the industry and the new cans are actually substantially louder than everyone else's cans.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Which is exactly why you should go with the Saker-K. Wish I would have. Saves you 2.3 oz and .4 inches in length over the RC.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:58:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
That's bullshit, RC might be a little louder on a 16" barrel but what goofball shoots suppressed with a 16" barrel? .
View Quote

Call it bullshit all you want, virtually everyone agrees that Surefire silencers are loud compared to competitors. Surefire themselves say that sound reduction is not their first priority. Hell, on 10.5" barrels everyone who shoots them agrees that my RC is even louder than my old AAC M4-1000 with 3 baffles. It also sounds more like a "pop" gunshot than the "pshhh" elongated crack you get with other cans, which might contribute to its perceived loudness and would not be identified by a peak SPL meter.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:00:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

I like my Mini.  Heck, I've got another one coming.  Seeing that you should be wearing plugs with a can on an AR anyway you might as well save weight and length.  only reason not to is price.  The deal on the full-size can right now is really good.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:08:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Found a specwar for about 500, is the socom really 300 dollars better?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:24:31 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View Quote
There is no "better". Just depends on what your priorities are. What is important to you?

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:20:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
There is no "better". Just depends on what your priorities are. What is important to you?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Durability, mount, Customer Service, and how it actually sounds
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:36:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mount costs are pretty different if you have a handful of hosts.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:40:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right now it'll be just the one, maybe another down the road. It's not necessarily mount cost, but how solid the mount is. I know AAC's mounts work but I don't like the rotational play people usually have.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 7:16:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I went Surefire, but from what you just listed... SilencerCo hands down would be my recommendation.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:41:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I went Surefire, but from what you just listed... SilencerCo hands down would be my recommendation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

To be fair, Surefire is durable, arguably has a better mounting system, and has killer CS should you ever need it.  Specwar will be quieter for sure and the trade off is weight and length.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:59:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

To be fair, Surefire is durable, arguably has a better mounting system, and has killer CS should you ever need it.  Specwar will be quieter for sure and the trade off is weight and length.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And POI shift on the Specwar will be greater and won't be any quieter at the shooter's ear than the SOCOM.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:22:15 PM EDT
[#32]
never played a socom, but the mount does indeed look really solid and easily faster than the specwar. I guess this comes down to a personal decision.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:23:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Ive never bothered looking.  I have probably close to 2k rounds through it so far.  Even a little like this
https://youtu.be/7WG2sOFs-mg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For people who own an rc, what's your blast baffle look like? I saw a couple that we're fairly chewed up given their relatively low round count.

any update on this?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:45:24 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
any update on this?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

any update on this?

Here's mine.  I'm not religious about keeping track of rounds fired, but I'd guess about 1500-2000 so far.

ETA:  10.5" barrel with brake.

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:39:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I too just picked up another SOCOM from Arms Unlimited. I went with the 556rc to join my 762rc, 762mini, and 556 SB. I hope to pick up a 556 Mini and SOCOM 68 later down the road to complete the family. As long as I get them for a great price. OP go for it.
View Quote

I'd like to jump on this deal but AU doesn't have the best reviews. Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:43:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have 3 other SF's to hold me over in the mean time.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 4:16:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

any update on this?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

any update on this?

Sorry, I took the pic, but forgot to upload it
This is on a 10.3" DD barrel, with the SF brake.
I run this can pretty hard, and pretty often.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 6:02:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

http://i59.tinypic.com/732bkn.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

any update on this?

http://i59.tinypic.com/732bkn.jpg

Brake makes a huge difference on these cans then. got my rail in today and I'm feeling the clone bug. Probably pull the trigger on one of the socom cans tomorrow after work.

for those who have purchased from Arms Unlimited, how was/is communication?
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 7:55:25 PM EDT
[#39]
^Definitely does.  On the short barrels, I wouldnt think of running the FH.  Even though the brake is not clone correct, the mil users do not care about the longevity of the can, as we do, so I sacrifice correctness for my cans health
But also remember that SF will re-core your can for a fee.  

If your getting the clone itch, DONT get any other can (unless its an NT4) or you wont be happy.  
I bought my SDN6 first because everyone said to get it(this was a while ago), even though I had already built my CQBR and mk18......
I had no plans to get another rifle can, but I honestly couldnt sleep at night, and knew I made a mistake, so I then pulled the trigger on the RC to make myself happy.

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 8:02:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
^Definitely does.  On the short barrels, I wouldnt think of running the FH.  Even though the brake is not clone correct, the mil users do not care about the longevity of the can, as we do, so I sacrifice correctness for my cans health

If your getting the clone itch, DONT get any other can (unless its an NT4) or you wont be happy.  
I bought my SDN6 first because everyone said to get it(this was a while ago), even though I had already built my CQBR and mk18......
I had no plans to get another rifle can, but I honestly couldnt sleep at night, and knew I made a mistake, so I then pulled the trigger on the RC to make myself happy.

http://i58.tinypic.com/r73ix2.jpg
View Quote

well, anyone will recore a can for a fee. The question is, how much is that fee?

NT4's are cool but way way too spendy for me
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 8:18:55 PM EDT
[#41]
I think the SF recore fee is something like $675 IIRC. Don't quote me on it though.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 11:01:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

http://i58.tinypic.com/r73ix2.jpg
View Quote

One of the reasons I went with surefire this round a bout. Im tired of MB. I will be using a FH on my 10.5 this can will be going on.

Besides I still have my M4-2000 as a back up
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 11:03:43 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I think the SF recore fee is something like $675 IIRC. Don't quote me on it though.
View Quote

I think this is correct. I remember around $600 or so when I asked Garvin.

Im fine with that as long as I don't have to wait as long as it would take to get a new can
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 11:16:03 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Im fine with that as long as I don't have to wait as long as it would take to get a new can
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was quoted as $640 mid 2014 by Garin, I'm sure it changes over time.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 11:21:19 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Im sure that's probably what I was quoted. I just remember thinking it was under 700. Not cheap, but really I would pay that if it came down to it instead of having to wait 6 months for a new can.

I wonder what happens if you pay to do this for the old RCs? I wonder if they would update the baffle stack and end cap like the RC2
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 11:30:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Im sure that's probably what I was quoted. I just remember thinking it was under 700. Not cheap, but really I would pay that if it came down to it instead of having to wait 6 months for a new can.

I wonder what happens if you pay to do this for the old RCs? I wonder if they would update the baffle stack and end cap like the RC2
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is a really good question
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 11:52:18 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Local friendly surefire rep could hopefully answer this for us
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top