Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2015 1:42:55 PM EDT
A buddy of mine has a AWC Amphibian which isn't user serviceable.  He bought the gun used and he is wanting to get it upgraded to a Amphibian II or at least have it jail breaked so he can clean it.  Granted I wasn't listening in on the conversation, but he called AWC and spoke to a guy there that told him in order to make the can user-serviceable the front weld would have to be removed from the barrel and have the internal baffles changed out, then thread the front of the barrel and have a threaded cap installed.  According to my buddy, the AWC man then went on to tell him that was however illegal and that couldn't be done per the ATF. It was my understanding that this type of work was legal as long as the tube wasn't replaced??

It almost sounds like to me that he was feeding my buddy a line because A)They would rather sell him a Amphibian II and don't want to mess with it or B)They are afraid that they will destroy the tube and don't want to be held liable or C)They don't know what they're talking about.   I don't believe C) is the reason as I know they've been around a long time and do make a good product.  

Is there anyone else who has been in a similar situation that can offer some solutions? Any experts out there that offer services to jailbreak an Amphibian?  Any help would be appreciated guys!
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 2:18:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
A buddy of mine has a AWC Amphibian which isn't user serviceable.  He bought the gun used and he is wanting to get it upgraded to a Amphibian II or at least have it jail breaked so he can clean it.  Granted I wasn't listening in on the conversation, but he called AWC and spoke to a guy there that told him in order to make the can user-serviceable the front weld would have to be removed from the barrel and have the internal baffles changed out, then thread the front of the barrel and have a threaded cap installed.  According to my buddy, the AWC man then went on to tell him that was however illegal and that couldn't be done per the ATF. It was my understanding that this type of work was legal as long as the tube wasn't replaced??

It almost sounds like to me that he was feeding my buddy a line because A)They would rather sell him a Amphibian II and don't want to mess with it or B)They are afraid that they will destroy the tube and don't want to be held liable or C)They don't know what they're talking about.   I don't believe C) is the reason as I know they've been around a long time and do make a good product.  

Is there anyone else who has been in a similar situation that can offer some solutions? Any experts out there that offer services to jailbreak an Amphibian?  Any help would be appreciated guys!
View Quote

Send an email to Stalking Rhino. If they can't/won't do it your buddy is screwed and needs to just buy a new can.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 4:15:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Interested in the same service for a AAC Phoenix Ruger MKII.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 4:44:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I haven't called Stalking Rhino, but when I went to their website I was prompted with a message they have suspended jail breaking 22 cans for the time being
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 5:44:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

You may already know this, but that's a pretty rare can and they are often sold used for what a new amphibian costs.  Might want to go a different direction.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 9:44:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I haven't called Stalking Rhino, but when I went to their website I was prompted with a message they have suspended jail breaking 22 cans for the time being
View Quote

Aw, sorry about that man....that sucks.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 5:49:09 AM EDT
[#6]
It should be a stainless steel construction can &  baffles so clean it with "the dip"  (50/50 peroxide, white vinegar).
Save the money for ammo and shoot and clean the crap out of it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:31:29 PM EDT
[#7]

True, this one is built on a Ruger MKII slab side pistol. It still works well, just looking at options if needed sometime in the future.

Quoted:

You may already know this, but that's a pretty rare can and they are often sold used for what a new amphibian costs.  Might want to go a different direction.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 5:05:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Out of curiosity.... Would a ultrasonic cleaner work??
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 5:35:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Out of curiosity.... Would a ultrasonic cleaner work??
View Quote

I used it on a sealed M4-2000 before.

Made it look much cleaner that's for sure. No difference in suppression IMHO however.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top