Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2015 8:56:03 AM EDT
Has anyone actually worn out a blast baffle on a rifle, from a major brand?

Not just that it looks bad and worn, but acutally worn out to the point that it changed the effectiveness of the can?

If so, did you have the manufacture replace it?  

Is it a big job for them?  I assume they'd have to cut the weld or unweld it, change out the baffle, and reweld.

You read, and it makes sense, to use a muzzle brake to reduce wear on the can.  But shooting a SBR with a brake and no can is no fun at all.  I'd rather not have to use the can all the time - it is nice to have a short rifle at times.

I understand that a FH would cause more wear than a MB, but does it cause enough wear in a reasonable amount of rounds to make it worth the unpleasantness of a brake?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 9:51:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't get why people complain about their little AR-15 SBR being too loud with a break. I personally have one and maybe I'm just not as sensitive. If they really want something to cry about, they should come over and shoot my AR-10 SBR with a brake.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 10:04:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't get why people complain about their little AR-15 SBR being too loud with a break. I personally have one and maybe I'm just not as sensitive. If they really want something to cry about, they should come over and shoot my AR-10 SBR with a brake.
View Quote

Try training next to someone shooting one.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 10:13:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Or shooting indoors with or next to someone.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 12:49:22 PM EDT
[#4]
If you guys could read, you'd see the OP was crying about shooting one himself, saying it was no fun at all.

Yes, I have shot next to someone with a brake. Is it annoying? Sure. Something I can tolerate? Yeah. No need to shoot indoors. Guess some of us just don't need the creature comforts that others require.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 12:52:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

If you guys could read, you'd see the OP was crying about shooting one himself, saying it was no fun at all.

Yes, I have shot next to someone with a brake. Is it annoying? Sure. Something I can tolerate? Yeah. No need to shoot indoors. Guess some of us just don't need the creature comforts that others require.
View Quote

Easy there tough guy...
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 1:07:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

You sound really tough.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 1:07:24 PM EDT
[#7]
It would be nice if some military armorers would jump in on this.

I figure in reality their about the only ones who are actually going to wear out a can.

One has to think the more erosion there is the louder the can would be.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 1:23:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You sound really tough.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You sound really tough.

I wonder if he drives a big diesel truck.  Big wheels on it too?
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 1:29:07 PM EDT
[#9]
The military doesn't traditionally use breaks with their cans. Just from what I have read and been told by people who have used cans (long term use) is that the difference using a brake vs. a FH is negligible. So with a brake you might get 3,000 rounds out of it vs a FH might get 2,000 rounds (before significant erosion).

It also depends on the type of shooting you do. Full auto, mag dumps and rapid sustained fire will wear the baffle much quicker than a slower steady rate of fire. FWIW, I have a FH on my 10.5" 5.56 SBR and I am very happy with my decision. I have a 9" 300 BLK with a Flash/comp and I used to have a 16" barreled 5.56 with a brake and my 10.5" 5.56 is much more pleasant to shoot unsuppressed than the others are/were.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 1:35:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Shivan had his M4-200 replaced as I recall, after the usual mandatory ARFCOM drama.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_20/200694__ARCHIVED_THREAD____SHIVAN_M4_2000_resolution_.html&page=1
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 1:38:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It would be nice if some military armorers would jump in on this.

I figure in reality their about the only ones who are actually going to wear out a can.

View Quote

Military may run cans hard over a long time, but civilian enthusiasts will do back-back C-Mag dumps till a can is destroyed and consider fun.

In the early days of this forum it was common for folks to do torture tests till something broke.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 1:45:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Shivan had his M4-200 replaced as I recall, after the usual mandatory ARFCOM drama.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_20/200694__ARCHIVED_THREAD____SHIVAN_M4_2000_resolution_.html&page=1
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, that was interesting.  Really looks like some sort of bullet splash to my amateur eyes.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 2:56:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow that was a good read.  Was that AAC can a lenon?  Who knows but a lot of people were calling BS on his round count.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 3:16:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Wow that was a good read.  Was that AAC can a lenon?  Who knows but a lot of people were calling BS on his round count.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ignore the baffle strikes and just look at the build up of material on the blast baffle. You don't get that much build up in 450 rounds of rimfire, yet 556 was supposed to have done that?
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:17:56 PM EDT
[#15]
OP:  

The way you framed the Q., you won't get a meaningful response.

1)  the "change in performance" will occure gradually.  So gradually that the owner won't perceive it and

2) the can will still "work" even after significant errosion.

To really hear a major difference, you would have to do a side-by-side comparison with a virtually new can of the exact same specification and a really really worn out can.  

Unlikely to happen.

EDIT:  if anyone in this thread can tell you, it is Chase45 - he obviosly shot the crap out of his can on a SBR (you should read his thread on cleaning sealled cans.  Good stuff).
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:33:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
OP:  

The way you framed the Q., you won't get a meaningful response.

1)  the "change in performance" will occure gradually.  So gradually that the owner won't perceive it and

2) the can will still "work" even after significant errosion.

To really hear a major difference, you would have to do a side-by-side comparison with a virtually new can of the exact same specification and a really really worn out can.  

Unlikely to happen.

EDIT:  if anyone in this thread can tell you, it is Chase45 - he obviosly shot the crap out of his can on a SBR (you should read his thread on cleaning sealled cans.  Good stuff).
View Quote

For what its worth. My buddy has a 10" gun with a M4-2000 as well. Mine is a Mod 8 bought in 2012, his was bought last year and his end cap looks different from mine(more built up on the welds). Hes a gamer so doesn't shoot suppressed much, but when he does I really cant tell a difference between my suppressed gun and his. I also don't have the best hearing however

Im not sure I have enough erosion to make mine loud enough to perceive without a meter however. I do use a brake on short guns however. I want to prolong my investment as long as possible.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 2:46:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL.  That brought back good memories.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 3:47:27 PM EDT
[#18]
They make blast deflectors for many of the brakes that will get rid of the side blast and noise when the can is off. That's the route I'd go.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 4:10:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have exactly one rifle with a brake (actually a comp) on it and I HATE it compared to my other rifles while shooting.  They don't do anything vital and are loud for myself and everyone around me.  I shoot it suppressed most of the time but the times I don't I usually only shoot a few rounds as it annoys me.

It isn't a "creature comfort" to not like a rifle that is loud but has no real benefit.

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 4:23:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

JUST TAKE MY LUNCH MONEY AND LEAVE ME ALONE
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 4:28:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

wow, that reads like a clusterfuck
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:03:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, a pretty stupid response for a tech forum.

"You're a H-man who can shoot a 3 inch .308 rifle with a brake, indoors, no ear protection, and then go home to your home with rock chairs - who needs those silly seats with cushions."

So, what I'm getting from this is that besides that last listed case, actually wearing out a blast baffle is a very, very rare occurance, and not worth the hassle of using a brake.

On another topic, if a new blast baffle is needed, is this something the big boys (AAC, Surefire, SiCo) can do without ruining your can?  Cut it open, fix, and re-weld?
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:13:45 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

"You're a H-man who can shoot a 3 inch .308 rifle with a brake, indoors, no ear protection, and then go home to your home with rock chairs - who needs those silly seats with cushions."

So, what I'm getting from this is that besides that last listed case, actually wearing out a blast baffle is a very, very rare occurance, and not worth the hassle of using a brake.

On another topic, if a new blast baffle is needed, is this something the big boys (AAC, Surefire, SiCo) can do without ruining your can?  Cut it open, fix, and re-weld?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm interested in the answer to this question.

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:37:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try going to war with somebody who is afraid of a little muzzle blast... I, for one, would rather run the gun with a can to keep the guys next to me from going deaf.  The muzzle blast, flash, concussion, and noise are different animals and all are 'enhanced' by most muzzle brakes.  If you are not wearing your ear pro or eye pro or if you just happen to be to the side of the muzzle and junk gets into your eyes from the side... etc. etc.  Muzzle brakes reduce recoil and SLIGHTLY reduce wear on your baffles.  Me, I prefer to run brakes on my SBR's and I run a .30 Caliber can.  Combined, this will make my can last longer.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 8:17:38 PM EDT
[#25]
I'll be using flash suppressors on my rifles. Not worried about "wearing out" the suppressor, I believe it will be fine.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 8:27:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They would change the entire baffle stack, Surefire will do it for a fee (less than the price of a new can, no stamp or wait either) and SiCo claims it would fall under their warranty.  Considering AAC is owned by freedom group I couldn't count on them refurbishing your can, you'd likely be SOL.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:29:34 AM EDT
[#27]
The manufacturer can do anything they want, without requiring another Form 4 be filed. PROVIDING it's the internals not the tube itself that needs replacing.
I had a busted baffle in a Tac-65 that fell apart when removing the stack for cleaning. Sen tit in, came back with a new baffle stack, different design than original, Can was 10 yrs old. I had to pay for baffles, no charge for labor. Turn around time was 6 days from receiving it on their end.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 2:04:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

They would change the entire baffle stack, Surefire will do it for a fee (less than the price of a new can, no stamp or wait either) and SiCo claims it would fall under their warranty.  Considering AAC is owned by freedom group I couldn't count on them refurbishing your can, you'd likely be SOL.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

AAC replaced the core of my M4-2000 mod. 7, essentially upgrading it to the current version, because I expressed disappointment about the wear on the stainless baffles (the inconel blast baffle was fine). Their CS has always, in my experience, been excellent.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 6:27:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

AAC replaced the core of my M4-2000 mod. 7, essentially upgrading it to the current version, because I expressed disappointment about the wear on the stainless baffles (the inconel blast baffle was fine). Their CS has always, in my experience, been excellent.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And their new CS guy (Nick) is awesome. Very responsive to questions. I love how people seem to exist simply to shit on FG. AAC is still AAC. Until I start hearing stories of them dropping quality or CS, I'll continue to think highly of them.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 6:48:48 PM EDT
[#30]
^^^ Yeah, Nick was the one who took care of me. I have since had two other CS interactions with him and he is 100% on the ball, even accessible on Sunday afternoons.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 7:48:47 PM EDT
[#31]
^He's answered my questions well after working hours and he's super accessible at silencertalk as well. I shot my 762-SD today for the first time and I'm thrilled with how well it performed.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 2:38:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

well apparently you require a suppressor??
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 2:41:45 AM EDT
[#33]
OP, new suppressors are less expensive than hearing aids
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 7:31:55 AM EDT
[#34]
My Huntertown Arms can was worn out by the time I was able to pick it up from the dealer.

Or maybe it's just the design.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top