Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2015 12:30:32 PM EDT
I think its worthy of its own thread.(plus i had nothing better to do today) No freeze plugs here! all machined Gr5 Ti except tube and spacers which are Gr9
Dedicated reflex type direct thread mount can for my DSR with 12.5 barrel and mid gas system
OAL 9.25  OD 1.5  weight 16oz and only adds 6.75 to length of barrel
Anodized bronze

Thanks for looking

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 12:41:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Impressive.

I am so envious of you guys who have the skills and the equipment to create something of that caliber.

Thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 12:58:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks expertly done. Have you compared performance to commercially manufactored cans?
More importantly, for how much can I buy one?
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 1:32:21 PM EDT
[#3]
What does a 1.5" OD, 7" long, solvent trap with the nifty grip enhancement closer to the attachment point run these days?
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 1:40:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I would also be interested in an honest price break down as well as an estimation of man hours involved to fairly compare to something like a Thunderbeat Ti or a Phantom Ti can.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 4:14:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Want to make me one that is 4.5" OAL so I can put it on my SBR and add only 1 inch to the total length?

Nice job btw.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 6:29:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Want to make me one that is 4.5" 6.5 OAL so I can put it on my SBR and add only 1 inch 3 inches to the total length?

Nice job btw.
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 7:36:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Amazing!
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 8:16:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Very impressive!  I also wish I had those skills.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 1:37:01 AM EDT
[#9]
This has gotta be one of the most thought out, and well executed F1 builds I've ever seen... It seriously puts a lot of commercial cans to shame.

Was this your first F1 can, or have you done other stuff prior? And, what did you use to do the anodizing? Your results are a lot cleaner than mine have been.

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 2:27:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Very impressive. In for more pics and details, what machines did you use to make the parts?
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 8:21:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This has gotta be one of the most thought out, and well executed F1 builds I've ever seen... It seriously puts a lot of commercial cans to shame.

Was this your first F1 can, or have you done other stuff prior? And, what did you use to do the anodizing? Your results are a lot cleaner than mine have been.

View Quote

Thanks, I've done quite a few F1 cans before including a .50 bmg can. My brother in-law (electrical engineer) built my Ti anodizer for me it's really just a 160v power supply. If you have the right stuff it's easy to do, tons of how to vids on YouTube.

This can is easily as quiet as a AAC m4/spr and with very little gas in the face. It exceeded my expectations.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 8:26:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Very impressive. In for more pics and details, what machines did you use to make the parts?
View Quote

Thanks, I used the typical machine lathe and a milling machine and all manual no cnc stuff....yet!
What other details and pics you want?
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 1:16:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Thanks, I used the typical machine lathe and a milling machine and all manual no cnc stuff....yet!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm interested to see how the baffle stack is arranged, maybe a profile shot it it all lined up for assembly. Do you have any illustrations or cad drawings of the suppressor all cut away to show all your baffles? What kind of wall thickness are you running on the tube and what's the thickess of the baffles?

Is the lathe you used a fullsize on the floor type lath or is it a smaller tabletop lathe? I'm really wanting to get a small manual tabletop lathe that's precise enough to do stuff like this. Are you a machinist or is this just a hobby?
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:44:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'm interested to see how the baffle stack is arranged, maybe a profile shot it it all lined up for assembly. Do you have any illustrations or cad drawings of the suppressor all cut away to show all your baffles? What kind of wall thickness are you running on the tube and what's the thickess of the baffles?

Is the lathe you used a fullsize on the floor type lath or is it a smaller tabletop lathe? I'm really wanting to get a small manual tabletop lathe that's precise enough to do stuff like this. Are you a machinist or is this just a hobby?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No drawings at all just in my head.
Tube wall is .060 with a couple of turned down steps and baffles range from about .060 - .045
The lathe is a full size Southbend precision lathe.
Just a hobby

This is the order they go in.
From left to right starting with the gold blast baffle

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 8:41:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Very nice. The last time I tried to turn Ti on my lathe I broke the lathe. An AAR with a real machinist revealed that Ti likes deep quick cuts so it doesn't work harden.

Nice finish, I dig the anodization too.

How's it shoot?
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:34:45 AM EDT
[#16]
curious - how did you make the baffles?

thanks,
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:07:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Did you keep a lot of the voltage you used that resulted in each color?
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:10:25 PM EDT
[#18]
How is accuracy?
Any issues clipping all the cones, most curious about the last one.

I am wrapping up my titanium 308 can and on the fence about clipping my baffles.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 8:28:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Baffles were made on a lathe.
Yes different voltage is what does the colors.
I've never had accuracy issues with clipping when the blast baffle isn't. But I'll let you know for sure tomorrow. Maybe I'll take some videos too.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:01:28 PM EDT
[#20]
My f1 can
[/youtube]http://youtu.be/fYdYFWgX_Ao

AAC m4-2000
[youtube]http://youtu.be/yQHPK3o8RY0

Very little to no poi shift

Unsuppresed
100 yard rested 4x acog optic wolf gold ammo

Suppressed

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:12:56 PM EDT
[#21]

(embedded for you)

My f1 can

AAC m4-2000

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top