Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/5/2015 4:19:34 PM EDT
After seeing the sub 2 month form 4 times I had to call and check my status since I was at the three month stage.

I called the NFA line at 304-616-4500 to check the status. This time I was put in an automated answering system. Press three for form 1 and form 4 status. All I got was a recording saying current wait times are 6 months. And if you are past that amount of time to leave a message and someone should get back in touch with you with in two business days!

WTFO

Is this new?
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:21:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I called today as well. Appears brand new  
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:21:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
After seeing the sub 2 month form 4 times I had to call and check my status since I was at the three month stage.

I called the NFA line at 304-616-4500 to check the status. This time I was put in an automated answering system. Press three for form 1 and form 4 status. All I got was a recording saying current wait times are 6 months. And if you are past that amount of time to leave a message and someone should get back in touch with you with in two business days!

WTFO

Is this new?
View Quote

Got tired of people calling all day every day starting a week after they submitted...
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:29:20 PM EDT
[#3]
In my defense....This is the second time I called. First was a few weeks after the check was cashed to make sure it was on the system. Only reason I called today was the current wait times being reported. I am over these months now.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:31:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I've never called, when it comes - it comes.  If their are errors, they send it back for corrections.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:33:49 PM EDT
[#5]
It's the concept of it. We were told those weren't examiners, rather dedicated CS reps whose sole job was to take inquiries about submitted forms.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:39:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Personally, I'm sort of glad that it's out of the way... I've done a few F1s and am waiting on my first F4. I called once to get the info to post up to NFA Tracker (actually had my dealer do it) but if they can put those people towards more constructive tasks, I'm all for it... It gets there when it gets there. I understand wanting to know "when" but the whole process continues independent of whether you know or not.

That said, if they're just reassigning them to the JBT department, well, then fuck that
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:43:17 PM EDT
[#7]
According to some posts in other threads, if you never hit a button to choose a menu option, you end up getting somebody you can ask for a status.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:51:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Maybe if it weren't for all the needy baby greedy babies writing letters about sig braces and calling for status every week and crying incessantly about lead times NFA Branch might run a little smoother.

Lead times are the lowest they've been in 4 years. Stop crying.

Me personally I'd rather have the person that answers the phone rubber stamping forms instead.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 5:02:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I have three pending that hit 6 months from check cashing this weekend.  While I would love to be able to get a status, I'd rather that person getting through the stacks sitting on their desk than having to answer phone calls about status.  I have learned to just be patient with NFA items, and get an idea from my FFL as to the times they are seeing.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 6:05:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I have found that the best "cure" for the wait is to just go BUY ANOTHER CAN.  If you do this often enough you start getting Forms approved and returned that you somehow FORGOT about.  Every time I feel like harassing the ATF about the "wait times" I just buy another can, or file another Form 1 to build one.  Then when they come in its like a Christmas Surprise.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 6:31:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've never called, when it comes - it comes.  If their are errors, they send it back for corrections.
View Quote

Yup. Let them do their job and they will let you know when it's done. Quit bothering them.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 6:42:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Kinda sucks. I just want to know if I'm pending, especially on F4 with a dealer I haven't used before.

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 6:42:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yup. Let them do their job and they will let you know when it's done. Quit bothering them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.

The sig brace debacle all over again.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 7:28:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Its nice to call especially if you have a shady dealer.  If I wasn't on top of it I bet my so called dealer wouldn't have called me.  

Or if they loose your paper work (which happens).

So if you never call you go on good faith.  No thanks its the government.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 7:36:52 PM EDT
[#15]
All they ever told you anyway was whether it was pending or not. Maybe now they'll get more work done instead of answering the same calls all day.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 7:40:26 PM EDT
[#16]
I like to call once, a month after my check is cashed to ensure that the forms were not lost and have gone pending as they should. I have had paperwork lost in the past and I don't want to go the entire 6 months before finding out that my paperwork was never in line.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 7:53:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I like to call twice a month after my check is cashed to ensure that the forms were not lost and have gone pending as they should.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 8:17:35 PM EDT
[#18]
If you stay on the line after the message, it'll ring to a person.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 8:58:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If you stay on the line after the message, it'll ring to a person.
View Quote

yup, I already posted this in another post for this same subject.. stay on the line and you will be connected to a person. I called yesterday and got the same message.. stay on and you'll be connected to a person within a few seconds..
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:00:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Why they did not answer today.

http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/snow-dismissal-procedures/current-status//
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:00:16 PM EDT
[#21]
a few times I found out by calling the NFA number Before the dealer contacted me
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:36:11 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote

Nailed it. I like to think if you call they move you to the back of the stack...
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:42:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Good. I hope the people manning the phones are being used to process forms.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:44:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Nailed it. I like to think if you call they move you to the back of the stack...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I doubt they would waste their time on that. Its nice to be able to call when you don't go the trust route as it seems to take significantly more time for a individual than a trust.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:55:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

X2.  Calling them helps nothing and only takes time.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:56:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:23:33 PM EDT
[#27]
You guys either got some shoddy ass dealers that don't tell you when they get paperwork from atf or you're really just anal.
6 months, deal with it.

I hope they block the loop in getting to a person soon. Just to piss everyone off.
No use in calling if you have a good dealer and when crazy stuff happens like lost paperwork or stamp they get around to it fast and understand.

6 months is a good bench mark. If nothing happens then call then. It'll get sorted out asap. I think they are going to go this route with that regardless of situation as long as it's hit that 6 mo th mark.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 2:24:35 AM EDT
[#28]
My understanding of the customer service reps who answer the incoming calls, is that they are not at all the same folks who work on approving the tax stamps. Am I wrong about that?
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 3:05:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
My understanding of the customer service reps who answer the incoming calls, is that they are not at all the same folks who work on approving the tax stamps. Am I wrong about that?
View Quote

I don't know either but I believe they have a higher responsibility than just answering phones. I called 2 weeks ago checking to see my pending date on a Spectre 2 and I left out the "2" in SPCT"2"-xxxx reading off my serial and the rep said. "You left out the 2 but no big deal I see it here pending date is...." "I know that specific suppressor serial as I see it at least 10 times a day from processing paperwork." Who knows I could be wrong?+

ETA: grammer
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 8:35:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 8:40:15 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View Quote

That was my understanding as well which ha been mentioned by people who have years dealing with it.  I don't really call, but if they aren't fielding calls I hope that translates to more efficiency in the process.

It was not examiners answering the phones though that is for sure.

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:34:52 AM EDT
[#32]
I don't blame them. I could imagine how often some people would call. Just let it go. Forget about it. Would you want your boss calling you all the time to make sure youre still working?
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:45:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Exactly.  Calling them every few weeks isn't going to get it approved any faster.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:50:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1...I have never called.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:58:30 AM EDT
[#35]
I called once or twice on my first couple of transfers.  The last 8 I have not and I doubt I will for any transfers in the future.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 11:01:36 AM EDT
[#36]
It would be nice if they had a tracking system like ups/fedex

log in, see your status and maybe an estimated approval date based on some form of calculation, log out

I wouldn't know how to write it, but some ppl know how to

Even better, an app for ur phone

Someone volunteer their programming skills and see if they will use it lol
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 11:08:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
It would be nice if they had a tracking system like ups/fedex

log in, see your status and maybe an estimated approval date based on some form of calculation, log out

I wouldn't know how to write it, but some ppl know how to

Even better, an app for ur phone

Someone volunteer their programming skills and see if they will use it lol
View Quote

That's in part what the efile system they already have is.  It has been down for some time for form 4s and won't open most likely until V.2 of Efile system is done.  But is open for form 1s for trusts and you can log in and see when you went pending and then get an email (most of time) when approved.

I can't see them doing an online tracking system for those who submit paper forms.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 11:10:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Its nice to call especially if you have a shady dealer.  If I wasn't on top of it I bet my so called dealer wouldn't have called me.  

View Quote

He's right you know.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 11:10:56 AM EDT
[#39]

Did I make it in before someone claimed this was in retaliation for Nolo's lawsuits?
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 11:14:33 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Got tired of people calling all day every day starting a week after they submitted...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTFO

Is this new?

Yep.  As much as I despise the ATF, I can't say I blame them on this.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 11:21:38 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I have found that the best "cure" for the wait is to just go BUY ANOTHER CAN.  If you do this often enough you start getting Forms approved and returned that you somehow FORGOT about.  Every time I feel like harassing the ATF about the "wait times" I just buy another can, or file another Form 1 to build one.  Then when they come in its like a Christmas Surprise.
View Quote

It also helps to do three at a time.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 1:40:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

It also helps to do three four at a time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It also helps to do three four at a time.

FIFY
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 3:11:54 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Maybe if it weren't for all the needy baby greedy babies writing letters about sig braces and calling for status every week and crying incessantly about lead times NFA Branch might run a little smoother.

Lead times are the lowest they've been in 4 years. Stop crying.

Me personally I'd rather have the person that answers the phone rubber stamping forms instead.
View Quote
But those people that answer the phones don't rubber stamp or approve anything.  They are not examiners simply telemarketers that answer instead of call.  

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 4:23:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I've never called, when it comes - it comes.
View Quote

Exactly.  I am on transfer 4 and never called once.  Not sure how they all got to me without the daily checkups.

EDIT:  Hmm, maybe now transfer times will decrease even more due to not having to answer the phone all day long.  I'd be ok with that.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 6:15:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Good.  Stop tying down the ATF with these stupid, incessant phone calls.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 7:29:36 PM EDT
[#46]
I like to call. I'm glad they still answer.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 9:18:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Who did you use?
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 9:33:37 PM EDT
[#48]
I would get some time-frame in my head based on what people were reporting at various places that it was taking, and determined that when that elapsed, I would call as often as possible to get the status of my paperwork.

These people work for us, and need to do the jobs they are paid to do.  Government serves the people, not the other way around.

Also, I always sent my forms registered mail, return receipt requested.  I would know they got my forms and at least pulled the check off that was paperclipped to it when the check hit my bank, or when the little green postcard arrived.  I would always call 30 days after check cashing to check status, and then not again for months, unless it met that imaginary time-frame mentioned above.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 9:35:08 PM EDT
[#49]
I like to double check any paperwork I send . I only call once per form, it was a nice service.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:02:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I would get some time-frame in my head based on what people were reporting at various places that it was taking, and determined that when that elapsed, I would call as often as possible to get the status of my paperwork.

These people work for us, and need to do the jobs they are paid to do.  Government serves the people, not the other way around.

Also, I always sent my forms registered mail, return receipt requested.  I would know they got my forms and at least pulled the check off that was paperclipped to it when the check hit my bank, or when the little green postcard arrived.  I would always call 30 days after check cashing to check status, and then not again for months, unless it met that imaginary time-frame mentioned above.
View Quote

This

Again, they're not examiners
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top