Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2015 12:08:59 PM EDT
I'm planning on a .22lr with SDTA C-Cell tube, and a 5.56 with their D-Cell Ti Tube, and hopefully Ti ends but may do a welded steel can. I plan to shoot dry but didn't know if there would be enough moisture in there from shooting to rust or not. I don't want them to get stuck in there on the threaded tubes, especially my .22 can I want to be able to clean it out easily.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 12:30:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a .556 SDTA for a little while (it blew apart). I was able to get the 1/2-28 thread protector off, but the other end was locked tight. couldn't get the plugs out with cutting apart the tube. No rust, but carbon buildup was killer.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 12:59:09 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I had a .556 SDTA for a little while (it blew apart). I was able to get the 1/2-28 thread protector off, but the other end was locked tight. couldn't get the plugs out with cutting apart the tube. No rust, but carbon buildup was killer.
View Quote
That's what I was afraid of with the carbon build up, but I guess more importantly, what tube blew up? Steel, Ti, or Aluminum? I guess I may need to rethink this if that's going to happen...
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 1:22:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm sure it was a baffle strike gone bad. I don't think it's possible to actually blow up an sdta tube. Especially one of their steel tubes.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 1:23:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

got pics? and details of the silencer and how you blew it up? I think there are a few ppl who would like to hear what not to do. I know I would.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 2:07:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

got pics? and details of the silencer and how you blew it up? I think there are a few ppl who would like to hear what not to do. I know I would.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 2:35:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Same here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.

Yes please. Waiting on stamp to come back for a SDTac build.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 7:57:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Carbon build-up can be dealt with pretty easily using GM foaming carbon remover. It's designed to remove baked on carbon from intake ports, valves, and pistons in engines. Mopar also sells similar stuff called "combustion chamber cleaner" but it doesn't foam. The stuff won't hurt metal at all, but it will remove any paint or spray coatings. Very strong stuff though, the carbon literally washes of in chunks.

As far a rust goes, if you make a habit of not shooting the can till it's hot you might get some rust. If you shoot it till it's hot the moisture boils off and no rust forms. Mine has none, sdta steel tube with steel freeze plugs. I never run it with water in it though either, if I use any ablative I use grease.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:07:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Carbon build-up can be dealt with pretty easily using GM foaming carbon remover. It's designed to remove baked on carbon from intake ports, valves, and pistons in engines. Mopar also sells similar stuff called "combustion chamber cleaner" but it doesn't foam. The stuff won't hurt metal at all, but it will remove any paint or spray coatings. Very strong stuff though, the carbon literally washes of in chunks.

As far a rust goes, if you make a habit of not shooting the can till it's hot you might get some rust. If you shoot it till it's hot the moisture boils off and no rust forms. Mine has none, sdta steel tube with steel freeze plugs. I never run it with water in it though either, if I use any ablative I use grease.
View Quote
This is kind of what I expected, but not having a suppressor yet or knowing anyone with one, I thought I would ask

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:25:29 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote
Any chance you can tell us about your can?  Maybe baffle design? How does it sound? Pics? Etc....
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:14:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Kinda like opening a door, tossing a glock in the room and shutting the door and walking away.

So much valuable info I cannot contain myself.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 11:17:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Not quite the same thing, but I have an all-stainless steel Form 1 can I built from scratch with threaded endcaps and 60 degree stepped cone baffles.  After a couple thousand rounds or so of both 5.56 and 308 I took it apart just to see how it was holding up.  The endcaps were pretty gunked up with carbon but unscrewed fairly easy - I just clamped the endcap in a vise and just unscrewed the tube with my bare hands.  The inside was coated with quite a bit of carbon but no visible wear.  I didn't bother to clean it, just reassembled.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 4:10:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Any chance you can tell us about your can?  Maybe baffle design? How does it sound? Pics? Etc....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I posted about it in the $100 form one thread, but it's an 8.3" SDTA d cell steel tube, mag lite front cap, SDTA steel QD rear cap to mount onto the SDTA brake. I made a custom blast baffle, but otherwise there's eleven 60 degree freeze plug cones, clipped. The first baffle is about a quarter inch off the tip of the brake. I don't think I got any pictures of the internals other than my blast baffle. I also made a custom detent lock for the can because the thing kept coming loose on the brake. I don't have anything to compare it to, but it's quiet to me, I run it on my 8" blackout.
Before I blued the lock.

Blast baffle

I have a rimfire build I'm doing right now but I'm undecided on baffles.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 5:33:47 PM EDT
[#13]
RE: water in a can - I could be wrong, but I believe most manufacturers recommend you not run an ablative in centerfire rifle cans, just pistol and rimfire.  

Wire pulling gel works great.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top