Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2015 5:15:54 AM EDT
Last year I bought a guardian 22 and a kestrel 308. At the time I did this I was new to suppressors and didn't know much about them or what was good. So I went off a local dealer's recommendation (FTE)  and went with them. After doing so I found out that these cans aren't very good nor is the customer service from the company that makes them. I have shot the guardian a fair amount and it is okay, but lots of frp, doesn't seem as quiet as other ones, and it is a PITA to clean. I only tried the kestrel out once or twice and it wasn't very good at all. At this point I am thinking of getting some better cans that are better.Before I ask for recommendations on a replacement for the kestrel, I would really like to hear everyone's thoughts on a replacement 22 can.

For the 22 suppressor, I would like something that is easy to clean, made up of SS parts (either stainless steel baffles or monocore-so I can do the dip or drop baffles into a tumber with SS pins) and is relatively light. I have been reading other posts here for awhile and it seems like these are some of the top recommended ones in order from best to worst.

Element 2
Spectre 2
Sparrowno longer interested

Out of all of those I really like the Spectre 2. What I like about it is the click together ss baffles-seems it would keep the tube clean and baffles can be dropped into dip or tumbler. From some youtube videos and stuff I read here it sounds like the element 2 has better sound suppression, but doesn't have the click together baffles-they are SS so that is a plus. The Sparrow just seems like it isn't the best deal anymore as the Spectre 2 is much quieter, less FRP, and is cheaper. I did hear the Sparrow next to the guardian at the time I was at my dealer and I didn't hear a huge difference in sound suppression between the two, so I think that is off my list. I also want to stay away from any cans that still utilize aluminum for the baffles or monocore (ie warlock, gm-22).

I would love to hear your thoughts on this, what you chose and why , or any other cans out there that I might want to take a look at. I am definitely going to take my time before I make another purchase. For know let's hold off on the kestrel replacement at the moment-I shoot 22's mostly anyways.
Thanks,
Mav

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:30:53 AM EDT
[#1]
If you don't like FRP, I would cross the Sparrow off your list. It does exhibit FRP on handgun hosts.

The Element II is touted as a great performer but the baffles aren't protected from the tube. You will need to service it more often but AAC makes a pusher tool to help get the baffles out.

The Spectre II is well liked with great clean-ability, CTA baffle structure and performance, but its shortcomings are length and weight.

Of the 3 on your list, I would pick the Spectre II.

There are some new .22 cans that were introduced at SHOT but it may be awhile before we get some independent reviews of them.

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 9:57:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Last year I bought a guardian 22 and a kestrel 308. At the time I did this I was new to suppressors and didn't know much about them or what was good. So I went off a local dealer's recommendation (FTE)  and went with them. After doing so I found out that these cans aren't very good nor is the customer service from the company that makes them. I have shot the guardian a fair amount and it is okay, but lots of frp, doesn't seem as quiet as other ones, and it is a PITA to clean. I only tried the kestrel out once or twice and it wasn't very good at all. At this point I am thinking of getting some better cans that are better.Before I ask for recommendations on a replacement for the kestrel, I would really like to hear everyone's thoughts on a replacement 22 can.

For the 22 suppressor, I would like something that is easy to clean, made up of SS parts (either stainless steel baffles or monocore-so I can do the dip or drop baffles into a tumber with SS pins) and is relatively light. I have been reading other posts here for awhile and it seems like these are some of the top recommended ones in order from best to worst.

Element 2
Spectre 2
Sparrow

Out of all of those I really like the Spectre 2. What I like about it is the click together ss baffles-seems it would keep the tube clean and baffles can be dropped into dip or tumbler. From some youtube videos and stuff I read here it sounds like the element 2 has better sound suppression, but doesn't have the click together baffles-they are SS so that is a plus. The Sparrow just seems like it isn't the best deal anymore as the Spectre 2 is much quieter, less FRP, and is cheaper. I did hear the Sparrow next to the guardian at the time I was at my dealer and I didn't hear a huge difference in sound suppression between the two, so I think that is off my list. I also want to stay away from any cans that still utilize aluminum for the baffles or monocore (ie warlock, gm-22).

I would love to hear your thoughts on this, what you chose and why , or any other cans out there that I might want to take a look at. I am definitely going to take my time before I make another purchase. For know let's hold off on the kestrel replacement at the moment-I shoot 22's mostly anyways.
Thanks,
Mav

View Quote

I do not know the cost, but Stalking Rhino offers a rebaffle service.. I've read nothing but good things about it. You may want to reach out to them and atleast get a price quote.. Stalking Rhino Industries
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:51:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Element 2
Spectre 2
Sparrow

Thanks,
Mav

View Quote

I was and still am in the same spot as you. Bought a kestrel 308 and guardian 9 before HTA went all derp. I decided to go with the spectra 2 and the specwar 762, they showed up at my SOT and got to play with them a bit and I couldn't be happier. after they get approved I am thinking of dumping my Kestrel for a huge loss just to get out of it, the Guardian 9 does well enough to keep it, just hope nothing goes wrong with it...
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:22:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Just keep them for loaners when shooting with friends at the range.

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:38:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I use my Kestral as a flash suppressor.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 1:26:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Now that's funny...

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use my Kestral as a flash suppressor.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 2:50:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys. I think I am firmly set on the Spectre 2 for the 22 can-unless anyone else can come up with a better suggestion.

Now lets talk about the kestrel replacement. I have a 16" 556 RRA EO2 and a 10.5" 556 SBR. I also am looking to buy a 8" 300blkout upper for the SBR that I would like to use it on as well. Should I buy a 308 can again to use on all of them? If so which ones do you guys recommend? I see the Saker has the ability to change out the front cap to a smaller diameter bore to make 556 a little quieter through it. Perhaps the SDN6 or the Specwar? Or should I try using that kestrel as a 300blkout can and just go for a dedicated 556 can? I don't know how good that kestrel would be with a 8" 300blkout upper. Let me know what you guys think.
Thanks,
Mav
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 3:09:14 PM EDT
[#8]
How much ya got to spend?
Cheap specwar 556 and an omega would be tits.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 3:14:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

With the stamps, etc. I can't afford 2 centerfire cans and a rimfire can. Just looking for one of each right now
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 4:21:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

With the stamps, etc. I can't afford 2 centerfire cans and a rimfire can. Just looking for one of each right now
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Saker would be a safe choice
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 4:37:55 PM EDT
[#11]
OP:  you did not mention if the 22 can will be for a rifle or a pistol.  

The Sparrow is very heavy for a 22 can (which ain't much) but it belongs on a rifle, where you won't notice the weight.  And if cleaning is an issue, it does not get any easier than the Sparrow.  

If its for a pistol, there are much lighter, user-serviceable options.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 7:57:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Spectre 2 for overall combination of cleanability, durability and performance is my recommendation.

I shot around two and a half bricks before cleaning mine for the first time.  When I went to clean it, the baffle stack slid right out and each baffle clicked apart with ease.  I threaded some stainless picture hanging wire through the baffles, made a necklace and dropped it in the dip.  Everything came out super clean, very easy.

If you go that route or even decide to use a tumbler or sonic cleaner, note that all options will result in a solution that contains lead and you should take the time to dispose of it in an environmentally safe manner following all local laws, just as you would any other household waste.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:30:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
OP:  you did not mention if the 22 can will be for a rifle or a pistol.  

The Sparrow is very heavy for a 22 can (which ain't much) but it belongs on a rifle, where you won't notice the weight.  And if cleaning is an issue, it does not get any easier than the Sparrow.  

If its for a pistol, there are much lighter, user-serviceable options.
View Quote

Yeah I didn't-sorry. Actually it will be used on both. I see what you are saying about the sparrow but I think I am sold on the Spectre II
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:32:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Spectre 2 for overall combination of cleanability, durability and performance is my recommendation.

I shot around two and a half bricks before cleaning mine for the first time.  When I went to clean it, the baffle stack slid right out and each baffle clicked apart with ease.  I threaded some stainless picture hanging wire through the baffles, made a necklace and dropped it in the dip.  Everything came out super clean, very easy.

If you go that route or even decide to use a tumbler or sonic cleaner, note that all options will result in a solution that contains lead and you should take the time to dispose of it in an environmentally safe manner following all local laws, just as you would any other household waste.
View Quote

Sounds good. What do you use for your dip?
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:33:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah that is what I am thinking too. I am going to watch some more videos and do some more searching here and online about it and the other ones mentioned.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:15:43 PM EDT
[#16]
That new Omega has also caught my eye!
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:01:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Did anyone ever find out if the HTA Guardian can be upgraded by Gemtech?
http://www.gem-tech.com/store/pc/Improved-Outback-Upgrade-IOU-Program-p1137.htm
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:20:11 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Did anyone ever find out if the HTA Guardian can be upgraded by Gemtech?

http://www.gem-tech.com/store/pc/Improved-Outback-Upgrade-IOU-Program-p1137.htm
View Quote

I believe the diameter is too big.

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:48:49 AM EDT
[#19]
My HTA Kestral 762 has a bore of .400, so, yeah. Take that for what it's worth.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 3:14:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Liberty should be able to recore your HTA 22 can. I don't remember how much it is, but I'd give them a call. They'll put a monocore it in like in the Kodiak series cans.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:19:55 PM EDT
[#21]
At this point I don't know if I want to spend anymore money on that guardian. Thinking I will just cut my losses. Like another person suggested-can always use it at the range with a friend to use.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:26:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
At this point I don't know if I want to spend anymore money on that guardian. Thinking I will just cut my losses. Like another person suggested-can always use it at the range with a friend to use.
View Quote

It isn't a terrible can. It's longer and heavier but the sound reduction isn't bad. Throw it on the end of a rifle, the weight will be less noticeable.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 1:05:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
That new Omega has also caught my eye!
View Quote

The omega us a homerun in my eyes. The only thing I hope they adapt is the maad mount to use my trifecta flash hiders for my Sakers and Omega. But I love the fact that it's so light and can be direct thread mounted for hunting.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 1:22:27 PM EDT
[#24]
I have a Saker 556. It's a good, durable suppressor but I don't care for the Trifecta mounting system. I've had it get stuck as well as launch like an RPG due to insecure locking. It's too finicky and not a positive lock. I only use the screw on mount. There are quieter cans, too.

I have a Sparrow. FRP is there but minimized with a dip in H2O. I like it but for the money the Spectre2 looks better.

Your old HTA cans are an expensive lesson. My old Gemtech SOS 45 is not good for 45, so it has an adapter and gets used as a .22 rifle suppressor, if at all. Just move on.

Good luck, let us know your final choices.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:30:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Thanks guys. I have definitely decided on the Spectre II for the 22 can. I am still trying to decide on what 308 can to get. I am really leaning towards the omega. The other thing is I am waiting to hear back from my original dealer- I want to give him one last chance before I go buy online from SS or QR or use different dealer for transfer.

I also see people are stating that they got better prices with blue labeling-is this just special lower pricing for military/LEO/Firefighters? If so I am sol as I am just a regular citizen. Just curious.

Also-are there any other places to buy from online besides SS or QR? Just want to know so I can try to shop for the best deals.
Thanks
Mav
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:44:16 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I have a Saker 556. It's a good, durable suppressor but I don't care for the Trifecta mounting system. I've had it get stuck as well as launch like an RPG due to insecure locking. It's too finicky and not a positive lock. I only use the screw on mount. There are quieter cans, too.

I have a Sparrow. FRP is there but minimized with a dip in H2O. I like it but for the money the Spectre2 looks better.

Your old HTA cans are an expensive lesson. My old Gemtech SOS 45 is not good for 45, so it has an adapter and gets used as a .22 rifle suppressor, if at all. Just move on.

Good luck, let us know your final choices.
View Quote

Take your can off while it is hot and you shouldn't have a problem with the can sticking. You could also try antiseize although I haven't had the need to try it yet.

As far as your can not mounting securely I think people are twisting the can on before it is fully seated. Instead of rotating my can on clockwise I rotate it counter clockwise until I feel it drop down in to the seated position and then I rotate it clockwise. This way it won't start locking until I want it to. This is just a theory but I haven't had any issues yet.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:49:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Also-are there any other places to buy from online besides SS or QR? Just want to know so I can try to shop for the best deals.
Thanks
Mav
View Quote

Capitol armory, Cherokee Gun and Pawn, Tarheel firearms, Gamaliel shooting supply
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:39:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top