Pics don't seem to be working.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I finished the 6" Ti tube with Ti ends and Ti spacer material with the new profile ends.  11oz total

Any pics?

My 6" Ti kit arrives tomorrow.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm198/WeberSteve/F38C2B4A-FC67-4F44-A5D8-21AC487AAF09_zpsy2e9ur1h.jpg

Pics don't seem to be working.

Due to the amount of views on my threads my pictures have exceeded the bandwidth.  The will be back up tomorrow or weds.  You can click the link to view.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 11:26:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I really like the look of that compact can. Can't wait.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 11:43:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

So do I, can't wait to shoot it and see how it performs.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 2:09:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok pics finally loaded up for me. Build looks great! I am submitting a few more stamps to try and get ahead of the potential 41P problems. A build like this was high on my want list. Looking forward to your range report. As always thanks for a great initial write up, and continuing to post your builds.

ETA Also curious on your opinion now of building from titanium vs carbon steel. Feel free to wait to answer this until you shoot it, or now either one. My questions is that I originally had 2 shorter cans planned. One 5.6" titanium tube and one 6" carbon steel. Both will see time on 308's but I planned on using the titanium tube for my 10.5" 5.56 SBR and the carbon steel tube for my 12.5" 308 SBR. Do you think its beneficial to build the 308 SBR can from carbon steel or would I be fine with a titanium tube for both builds. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 2:45:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Ok pics finally loaded up for me. Build looks great! I am submitting a few more stamps to try and get ahead of the potential 41P problems. A build like this was high on my want list. Looking forward to your range report. As always thanks for a great initial write up, and continuing to post your builds.

ETA Also curious on your opinion now of building from titanium vs carbon steel. Feel free to wait to answer this until you shoot it, or now either one. My questions is that I originally had 2 shorter cans planned. One 5.6" titanium tube and one 6" carbon steel. Both will see time on 308's but I planned on using the titanium tube for my 10.5" 5.56 SBR and the carbon steel tube for my 12.5" 308 SBR. Do you think its beneficial to build the 308 SBR can from carbon steel or would I be fine with a titanium tube for both builds. Thanks in advance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, and no problem!
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 3:02:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I dunno what I did right to make the NFA gods happy but I just got approval on 3 stamps that I submitted last week.  A 7 day turnaround, off to Napa I go today.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 3:06:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I dunno what I did right to make the NFA gods happy but I just got approval on 3 stamps that I submitted last week.  A 7 day turnaround, off to Napa I go today.
View Quote

So awesome!
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 4:40:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Dang. I just checked. Submitted 2/14 still not approved
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 7:40:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Pictures are back up.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 8:18:59 AM EDT
[#10]
After my first 9" steel build and realizing how heavy it is, I'm filing to make a 6" titanium one. The steel one will be a bench only can, and the titanium one will live on my SBR. Hopefully pictures in about a month.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 8:25:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
After my first 9" steel build and realizing how heavy it is, I'm filing to make a 6" titanium one. The steel one will be a bench only can, and the titanium one will live on my SBR. Hopefully pictures in about a month.
View Quote

Big difference, my 9" can came in at 22.5 oz, 6" can comes in at 11oz.  Huge difference on a carry gun.

Link Posted: 2/24/2015 9:43:22 AM EDT
[#12]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Big difference, my 9" can came in at 22.5 oz, 6" can comes in at 11oz.  Huge difference on a carry gun.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm198/WeberSteve/2A00971E-26D3-4B5C-A968-C3AD62C48035_zpsiw3bw4jz.jpg

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm198/WeberSteve/BE143CEB-9EC7-473B-84DA-4B1AB365B28C_zpsq51k1b6n.jpg
Yeah, I think my 9" one is probably about 2 pounds. Having no prior suppressor experience, I didn't think that it would have been that big of a deal, but that much weight on the muzzle makes a huge handling difference.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:45:18 PM EDT
[#13]
I was playing around with grim's picture of his layout to show some of my designs.

7.6 Ti tube with cap,style ends.

5.6 Ti tube with low profile ends.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 7:18:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I was playing around with grim's picture of his layout to show some of my designs.
View Quote

I think I'm going to do three like the top one...as many FPs as will fit between blast chamber and end cap.

Then, the other three will be similar to the last two. VR blast baffle, maybe a .75" spacer, FP, then a .5", FP, then a .25"...followed by FP baffles to the end cap.

Each "trio" will have a 9", 8" and 7" version. All blast chambers will be 2.75" from the outside of the end cap.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 7:22:53 PM EDT
[#15]
The top one works awesome, but is heavy weighing in at 22.5 oz.  I have 15 baffles in that one, with roughly 1-1/2" blast chamber.  Both high power 308 and 556 sound great.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 7:24:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Any benefit to that many baffles in the 7" can? A spacer the size of a fp would help keep the weight down if there is no benefit to the extra baffle..
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 7:26:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Any benefit to that many baffles in the 7" can? A spacer the size of a fp would help keep the weight down if there is no benefit to the extra baffle..
View Quote

Better suppression, db reduction.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 10:08:14 PM EDT
[#18]
More FP baffle will do well.  The only thing is blow back and weight.  Mine weights 36oz carbon steek tube.  I've said this long ago but people dont seem to agree.  The FP spacing isnt short enough for diminished returns yet.  My calculator also agrees.  Fir blowback, simply drilling holes as needed in the first few will relief that problem.

Also people are forgeting that the whole equaltion is pv=nrt.  T being temperature.  Which meas more freeze plugs also translate to higher heat capacity, lower gas temperature.

Now if you try to apply this with VRs, you will be highly disappointed.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 10:18:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 10:31:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

How do the shorter ones sound? Do you use those with 5.56 as well?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The top one works awesome, but is heavy weighing in at 22.5 oz.  I have 15 baffles in that one, with roughly 1-1/2" blast chamber.  Both high power 308 and 556 sound great.

How do the shorter ones sound? Do you use those with 5.56 as well?

I have only tested the short ones for function due to all the snow and crappy weather we have been having, so 556 testing will be later.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 10:31:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
More FP baffle will do well.  The only thing is blow back and weight.  Mine weights 36oz carbon steek tube.  I've said this long ago but people dont seem to agree.  The FP spacing isnt short enough for diminished returns yet.  My calculator also agrees.  Fir blowback, simply drilling holes as needed in the first few will relief that problem.

Also people are forgeting that the whole equaltion is pv=nrt.  T being temperature.  Which meas more freeze plugs also translate to higher heat capacity, lower gas temperature.

View Quote

Great post!
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 2:06:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Great post!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great post!

That's interesting. I wonder how that'll affect frp? I don't sense much in my current build, however another person at the range claims to have.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 5:32:57 PM EDT
[#23]
hmm..i had 12 FPs come in the bag, should I use all 12 in a 8" can for 5.56?
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 5:48:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sounds excessive when considering a 1.75" blast baffle
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 7:15:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really. I think mine measure ~.4", so you can fit 12 of them in ~5". Add the 1.75" blast chamber, and another 1" you lose with the caps, and you almost have room for a 13th FP.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 7:27:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Not really. I think mine measure ~.4", so you can fit 12 of them in ~5". Add the 1.75" blast chamber, and another 1" you lose with the caps, and you almost have room for a 13th FP.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's intriguing.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 8:05:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 9:17:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

There has got to be a point where the gains from cramming FP's in there are outweighed by the...weight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There has got to be a point where the gains from cramming FP's in there are outweighed by the...weight.

+1
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 10:03:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

loss of volume moreso than weight. it really is a science. On my 22 cans I've found the baffles need to be about .65" apart for best performance. I bet the large calibers need a bit more than that.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 10:44:37 PM EDT
[#30]
^^

IIRC, I thought I read the formula was like .65 apart after the blast baffle then like .80" apart near the muzzle

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 2:59:28 PM EDT
[#31]
The loss of volume is definitely not a concern with stacking FP all the way.  The real concern is higher pressure for the first few baffles and wether the tube/end cap/baffle can handle it..  The overall volume lost isn't that much.  The overall volume matters more than volume within a single baffles.  Everyone tends to focus on the volume of the individual baffles, but doesn't realize the overall volume isn't that much less and its what really matters in the end.

Think this over people.  The wall of a FP is 0.060"  thick.   Each freeze plug takes up ~0.18305415 cubic inches.  So for a 8.35" tube, it only adds 1.53% of the overall volume per baffle.  That's not counting the fact that if you don't put a FP, a spacer of the same width takes up ~0.110056725 cubic inches (or 0.92%).  So you only save 0.61% per baffle using a spacer instead of FP.  So adding 5 extra baffle takes up only 3% of the volume!!!!!!

And that's not even counting there is a big HOLE in the baffle.  My above math did not remove the hole that you drill.  So it is MUCH less than 3%.  That easily brings it down to ~1.5% of added volume for 5 extra baffles, depending on the caliber.

So at the end, the real question is going from 10 to 15 baffles, is 1.5% more internal volume is worth more than 50% more baffle for deflection and ~40-50% more surface area for heat sinking?

This IS science.  What is not science is how you build your own.  Some people may care about the extra weight/length/size/cost/durability/safety.  Some choose to leave out certain parameters and put more emphasis on others.  So it is an ART afterall.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:10:26 PM EDT
[#32]
I think ill try out as many that can fit w/ about a 2" blast baffle and the first baffle being a titanium VSR.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 1:19:25 AM EDT
[#33]
@>Sudoshi

So your saying a FP suppressor doesn't suffer from diminishing returns because the baffles are physically unable to fit too tight together?
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 4:05:31 AM EDT
[#34]
A relatively pointed question:

Has anyone tried various lengths with subsonic 300 BLK?  My 8" gun is asking for the shortest, lightest available can, however I don't want to sacrifice performance over an inch or two of can length.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 7:14:43 AM EDT
[#35]
I could build one, the forming of the baffles is my only concern. Would it be legal and possible to sell pre formed baffles to those that are too busy to tinker, or those that are not mechanically inclined.

You could probably make a killing on the equipment exchange here. The buyer still has to assemble, buy and build the other parts.

Edit.. I found the other thread discussing it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 7:20:54 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I could build one, the forming of the baffles is my only concern. Would it be legal and possible to sell pre formed baffles to those that are too busy to tinker, or those that are not mechanically inclined.

You could probably make a killing on the equipment exchange here. The buyer still has to assemble, buy and build the other parts.
View Quote
Linky...

Link Posted: 3/17/2015 8:06:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
A relatively pointed question:

Has anyone tried various lengths with subsonic 300 BLK?  My 8" gun is asking for the shortest, lightest available can, however I don't want to sacrifice performance over an inch or two of can length.
View Quote

Yes, longer is better but shorter one works great as well.

On my 8.5" barrel I have the 5.6 tube.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 9:04:35 AM EDT
[#38]
OST. Weber, thanks for the great build pics.

If this isn't made a sticky, at least how about a mod setting the "don't archive" flag?
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 10:12:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
@>Sudoshi

So your saying a FP suppressor doesn't suffer from diminishing returns because the baffles are physically unable to fit too tight together?
View Quote

With people forming deep cones, that may not be true, since the spacing of the FP gets shorter.    But for people with unaffected walls of ~.4" width, yes the diminishing return for sound reduction has not reach the steep part of the curve.  It is close and affected, but there is still noticeable gains.  You can try and see.  Wether it is worth the extra weight is up to you.  Most people choose against the tight stack do it only for weight reduction.  For me that extra 2-4 oz is worth it.  Some people are more sensitive to noisevthan others.  I choose to go with the heavyweight cans.  Unless you are using lightweight spacer, you may not even save much weight st all.

Just think of it this way, 2 x 75% effective FP is better sound reduction than 1 x 100% FP.  But it doubles the FP weight.  Not neccessarly doubleing the overall weight, just the FP weight

Link Posted: 3/17/2015 12:26:02 PM EDT
[#40]
What about notching the walls of the freeze plugs to remove material and reduce weight?

Leaving say 1/3rd of the original bearing surface?
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 12:56:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
What about notching the walls of the freeze plugs to remove material and reduce weight?

View Quote

Lots of people have done that, cutting "legs" in the FP.  Not mine, but something similar to this:

Link Posted: 3/17/2015 1:02:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Lots of people have done that, cutting "legs" in the FP.  Not mine, but something similar to this:

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa166/redtazdog/Freezeplugbaffle2.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty sure that the consensus was that it doesn't remove enough weight for all the time and effort involved.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 1:25:51 PM EDT
[#43]
That's exactly what I was picturing in my mind, looks like someone beat me to it!
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 7:29:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Pretty sure that the consensus was that it doesn't remove enough weight for all the time and effort involved.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you have 15 x FP, thats easily 3-4 oz savings.  Same weight saved for that people avoid back to back FP.  So if you do back to back FP, doing that mod will essentially offset the weight.  But you get alot more noise reduction.  Instead of cutting, I think drilling the wall is much easier.  Also, the way Weber uses the jig to form the plug allows the drill hole to remove alot more material than those using a dead center to expand the bore.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 1:30:44 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Linky...  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Linky...  

I may buy some of those just for the boobs.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 8:29:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Anyone have pics of these cans on a pistol? Curious to see how much of the sight it covers or if it looks oddly large on a pistol.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 9:11:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Anyone have pics of these cans on a pistol? Curious to see how much of the sight it covers or if it looks oddly large on a pistol.
View Quote

D cell consumes the sights, c cell will allow it them to be view depending on the pistol.

Link Posted: 3/18/2015 10:00:22 PM EDT
[#48]
I guess more FP's mean more sound reduction. I am seriously considering going all FP's in my first build after the blast baffle spacer instead of spacing the first few out.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 2:21:37 PM EDT
[#49]
       <Edited........you should be a salesman............dpmmn>  
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 11:46:51 AM EDT
[#50]
great thread!  thanks for posting!
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top