Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2014 1:02:21 PM EDT
Here it is guys. Getting ready to through down on my first can. I have narrowed it down to two choices. This will be used 75% of the time on 5.56 ar and 25% of the time on Rem 700 .308
I do plan on getting a dedicated 5.56 in the future.

AAC 7.62 SD
$560
9 fricken inches long
23.2 oz
but qualifies for Damn the Man promotion and I could get two mounts.

or

YHM 7.62 Phantom LT
$581
7.6 inches long
20 oz
comes with 1 mount.

Which of these would you get and why?

Edit: forget those two above. I think I'm sold on the specwar.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:16:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I've already got old technology, but if I were buying today, Saker 762 all the way. Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:16:55 PM EDT
[#2]
neither.  Both are heavy, and I don't care for AAC's mount system ( I have a M4-2000 myself).  I'd spend a bit more money,and get a Saker 762
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:22:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Ditto.  Pay for what you want, not what's cheaper.  This is more than likely a lifetime purchase.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:25:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a 7.62 LT and really like it. That being said, i ordered mine before the Saker 7.62. I too would say look at Silencerco options if you can. Between the two you listed i chose the LT just for smaller size and slightly less weight. Also prefer YHMs mounting system, it isn't the most aesthetically pleasing thing to most people, but it does the job it is meant to do and does it well.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:39:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd get the Harvester/Spectre II combo at Silencershop, and then decide which dedicated 5.56 can based on what you want.  I went with a SpecWar 5.56 because it is a beast and was only $500 locally.

The Harvester is designed as a hunting rifle suppressor. It is only 11.3 oz. It is 9" in length, and is a direct thread mount. You could use it on your AR if you wanted to, but it designed for a slower rate of fire (no more than 10 rounds per minute is what I've read)
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:01:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd get the Harvester/Spectre II combo at Silencershop, and then decide which dedicated 5.56 can based on what you want.  I went with a SpecWar 5.56 because it is a beast and was only $500 locally.

The Harvester is designed as a hunting rifle suppressor. It is only 11.3 oz. It is 9" in length, and is a direct thread mount. You could use it on your AR if you wanted to, but it designed for a slower rate of fire (no more than 10 rounds per minute is what I've read)
View Quote

This is true.  I've been shooting the Harvester lately with my reloads.   It's a nice suppressor.  Well worth the money and sounds great.   With my Tikka and factory ammo.  I can shoot nickle sized groups with it at 100 yards.  You can do a mag dump with it, but let it cool afterwards.  To me, it's a precision/hunting can.   Ill abuse my saker but not the Harvester.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:06:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've already got old technology, but if I were buying today, Saker 762 all the way. Good luck.
View Quote

By that standard he should wait another month and get a Dead Air Sandman-S though.

I would think the 762SD would be a good value because of the rebate.  I almost bought one of these recently, the $525 local price that did not require a transfer fee and the $200 credit is worth about $125-150 or so if you flipped it or the stuff you got with it.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:23:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Also in the neither camp.

If this is going to end up on your 700 than I would either get the Harvester or the SpecWar if you want a heavier duty can and then also take advantage of Silencer Shop's $99 Spectre II deal at the same time.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:33:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Look at the yHM ultra light tactical - same as LT but only 13 oz

I too am a fan of YHM mounts
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:00:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Look at the YHM ultra light tactical - same as LT but only 13 oz. I too am a fan of YHM mounts
View Quote

Between approved and pending cans, I have the YHM LT & ULT, and the Saker 762 & 556...and they all use the same mounts. It's quite convenient.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:21:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Damn you guys are always trying to get me to spend more money!

Starting to think YHM LT. Would work for everything I have at the moment. Then I could get a dedicated .30 cal can for the 700. Get a dedicated 556 can for the ar. And then retire the YHM LT for dedicated use on a 300 BO without it being a mile long.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:23:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Have you looked into the specwar 7.62?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:51:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Have you looked into the specwar 7.62?
View Quote

Yes I have. Seems to long and heavy to use as both 762 and 556. Seems like a good candadate for a dedicated 7.62.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:29:25 PM EDT
[#14]
I retract by previous statement. I am interested in the 762 specwar. I did not realize it went up to 300 WM.
$720 can and $270 SS direct would still keep me under my goal of 1000.

Anyone have a picture of a specwar on a 16 in AR? Please and thanks
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:39:13 PM EDT
[#15]
You can also add a Spectre II for $99 when you purchase a Specwar 762.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:24:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I retract by previous statement. I am interested in the 762 specwar. I did not realize it went up to 300 WM.

View Quote

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=specwar+7.62+AR-15&FORM=HDRSC2#a
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:27:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Actually, the Specwar 762 is rated to .300 RUM.  I have one and use it on both an AR10 and AR15, both 16" barrels.  It works great.  Best sound suppression.  I am also getting a Specwar 556, but if you want one to cover both and not buy a Saker 762, get the Specwar 762.  If you get the Specwar 762, do the SS deal and get the Spectre II.  I have that can also and love it.

Colt 6940 with Specwar 762

DPMS Recon Gen 1 .308

And if you do the Spectre II deal, a Ruger 22/45 wearing it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:49:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Thank you for the pictures.

I think I'm sold on the specwar.

Now the choice is flash hider vs muzzle break...
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:55:47 PM EDT
[#19]
I think for 16" barrels, it doesn't really matter whether it is FH or MB.  I used FHs as if I am shooting without the suppressor, it is not as loud, especially to others at the range.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:23:54 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote

Probably not as important on 16" barrels, but I still prefer using muzzle brakes because (1) I don't really ever intend to shoot the host unsuppressed so a flash hider doesn't really mean much to me and (2) I want the brake act as a sacrificial "blast baffle" (even if it's minimally with a longer barrel).

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:50:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's what I chose for my first can (that and the Spectre as well)

From everyhthing I've read and seen, it's a solid performer.

It may not be the lightest or shortest but from all accounts, it appears to suppress the best, especially when using 300 BLK subs.

IIRC, SS's sound metering of the 300 BLK with subs came in around ~120dB.

eta- my primary host will be my 8" 300 sbr and I chose the fh mount.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:10:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

You seem like you aren't thrilled about the length and weight of the Specwar, have you looked into the Saker 762 or is it out of your price range? It is shorter and lighter than the Specwar and is rated for 300 win mag.  I just got mine last week and it is awesome.  You will likely have this thing for the rest of your life, I wouldn't let a couple hundred bucks deter me, unless your budget just can't swing it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:40:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You seem like you aren't thrilled about the length and weight of the Specwar, have you looked into the Saker 762 or is it out of your price range? It is shorter and lighter than the Specwar and is rated for 300 win mag.  I just got mine last week and it is awesome.  You will likely have this thing for the rest of your life, I wouldn't let a couple hundred bucks deter me, unless your budget just can't swing it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought the same thing too.  The saker 762 will come in around 126 DB for 300 AAC.  I don't think that's a deal breaker for sound.  Granted there's a slight human audible difference, but the size and versatility offset that.  If it's a combo deal purchase or 200 credit, then ok.  I'm picking up my saker tomorrow.  Sure am excited to have it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top