Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:01:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:16:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

And lots of reports of Sakers stuck on mounts.

The rotational backlash or "wobble" as people ignorantly call it is a function of the design of the mount. Any time the teeth of two gears meet there is going to be play, it's called backlash. Some AAC mounts are tighter because stacking tolerances allow the suppressor to achieve clamping force on the mount at a different position. Which is why grinding down the shoulder works, you're allowing it to thread on further.

Not saying its the best mount or anything, there are clearly better designs out there, but looking at the design from a purely mechanical standpoint the play is 100% to be expected, don't like it don't use a mounting system that relies on a ratchet and pawl mechanism.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does anyone know if a saker 762 with the 51t maad mount will wobble on the 51t  mount?

Saker locks up tight. They beat them at their own game.

The rotational backlash or "wobble" as people ignorantly call it is a function of the design of the mount. Any time the teeth of two gears meet there is going to be play, it's called backlash. Some AAC mounts are tighter because stacking tolerances allow the suppressor to achieve clamping force on the mount at a different position. Which is why grinding down the shoulder works, you're allowing it to thread on further.

Not saying its the best mount or anything, there are clearly better designs out there, but looking at the design from a purely mechanical standpoint the play is 100% to be expected, don't like it don't use a mounting system that relies on a ratchet and pawl mechanism.

Not reading a thread and then making a smartass non constructive reply seems more ignorant to me.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:16:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Someone please post an easy button with a link to purchase this goodness!
View Quote

Found some Viton orings at Amazon. 25 pack for $4.70.

O-ring link
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 2:05:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm gonna order some and give this a shot.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:53:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

O-ring link
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

O-ring link

Ordered, thanks for the easy button link!
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:32:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

O-ring link

Ordered also. Thanks
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:41:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does anyone know if a saker 762 with the 51t maad mount will wobble on the 51t  mount?

With the trifecta mount or the 51T? Pretty sure most, if not all,have been from the trifecta mount.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:51:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ya it is rock solid from everything I have heard from users.  I believe the Saker 51T mount works differently than the AAC mount, so the wobble isn't a possibility.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:57:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

For myself and just about every other examples I have heard are from letting the can cool all the way down.  Reheating the can with a few shots is all it usually takes to get it off.  You'll only let that happen once and you wont forget to take it off before it cools down the next time.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:09:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I'll try this on my two 762-SDs.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:18:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I did this years ago with a viton o-ring I ordered from McMaster Carr.  I was originally buying spares for my Tirant and Element.
Bought a 50 pack for not much money.  Part number is 9464K73.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:22:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:31:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

How well do they hold up to the heat?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I did this years ago with a viton o-ring I ordered from McMaster Carr.  I was originally buying spares for my Tirant and Element.
Bought a 50 pack for not much money.  Part number is 9464K73.

How well do they hold up to the heat?

Never got it very hot.  My sdn-6 locks up pretty tight anyway so I stopped using the o-ring.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 3:34:54 PM EDT
[#14]
I like the O-Ring idea.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 8:58:14 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm going to try it also.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 10:15:08 PM EDT
[#16]
I just tried the "polish"method if you will based on another thread somewhere.Someone posted that they barely took the finish off and it allowed their can to lock up tight. I took a small patch of 2000 grit sandpaper and in less than three minutes my M4-2000 locks up rock solid with zero movement. I was actually very surprised. I'd give this a shot before I try the o-ring. I'll take pics and post them of what my break looks like now if anyone is interested.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 10:17:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I just tried the "polish"method if you will based on another thread somewhere.Someone posted that they barely took the finish off and it allowed their can to lock up tight. I took a small patch of 2000 grit sandpaper and in less than three minutes my M4-2000 locks up rock solid with zero movement. I was actually very surprised. I'd give this a shot before I try the o-ring. I'll take pics and post them of what my break looks like now if anyone is interested.
View Quote

Can I ask why you recommend modifying the mount vs adding a simple oring??
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 1:09:57 AM EDT
[#18]
does anyone know where the majority of the variance lies?   Can latching system or the mounts?

I have an SDN-6 fitted to a mount I sanded down for zero play on a SCAR.

If I was to buy the 7.62-SD, could I expect the same tight fit or would it be anyone's guess?
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 1:35:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
does anyone know where the majority of the variance lies?   Can latching system or the mounts?

I have an SDN-6 fitted to a mount I sanded down for zero play on a SCAR.

If I was to buy the 7.62-SD, could I expect the same tight fit or would it be anyone's guess?
View Quote

I have an SDN-6 and a bunch of mounts. Only a couple had play. I let mine get filthy with carbon & they tightened up.
It's tolerances. (the mounts) The play doesn't really affect anything; a few people have said they got better accuracy after they tightened them up, but on my mounts with play I saw no difference.

If they were made so they had zero play in all mounts it would have to be designed differently & it would be really easy to glue them on with carbon (which can happen anyhow with any mount design) so you end up unscrewing the mount from the barrel with can attached.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 3:31:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 4:47:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is not modifying the mount at all, it didn't even take all the finish off. I didn't throw it on a lathe or anything. Can I ask why you want to add something that isn't part of the design and will wear out rather an simply doing some light polishing? It took me longer to write this than I did polishing it. I didn't have to order anything and won't have to replace an o-ring with it goes bad. YMMV.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 4:59:56 PM EDT
[#22]
I had same issues, it would always effect the POI. I took fine grit sand paper metal polishing compound and sanded the mount polised the mount where the SDN-6 touches. it finally secured tighly and havet had an issue since.

MJ

Quoted:
I have read and read for six months about this but Im opening up discussion again because it is not working for a few of my mounts. I understand the whole "let it rest in the valley until carbon builds up" and that works after a few rounds on some of my mounts. But I also have a few that wobble on the bore axis, not rotational wobble. Now as far as I can tell no one has posted about trying a rubber o-ring to solve the issue. I have a Wilson Combat Whisper suppressor that does and it has the most solid lock-up of any of MY cans, Im sure there are others.

Here is the 51T as it is normally.

<a href="http://s44.photobucket.com/user/mossyrocks/media/596C68A9-97D7-4C16-8713-D1328C8821B6.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f35/mossyrocks/596C68A9-97D7-4C16-8713-D1328C8821B6.jpg</a>

Here is the Wilson Mount with o-ring.

<a href="http://s44.photobucket.com/user/mossyrocks/media/49102388-4E2B-40EE-B39F-694D3B830FAD.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f35/mossyrocks/49102388-4E2B-40EE-B39F-694D3B830FAD.jpg</a>

And the 51T with the Wilson o-ring. It sits perfectly in the valley ahead of the taper and behind the last of the thread.

<a href="http://s44.photobucket.com/user/mossyrocks/media/89388CE5-F366-45AD-AB52-F940D0F5E377.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f35/mossyrocks/89388CE5-F366-45AD-AB52-F940D0F5E377.jpg</a>

When tightening down on my previously tight mounts it still lets it get to the same tooth, same goes for my loose mounts. You can feel it make contact about a quarter turn from tight and then it slowly gains a bit of resistance. It has a very solid lockup but is still easy to remove.

Am I missing something here? Is it this easy to fix? With it tightening to the same tooth as before I dont see how it could cause it to be off axis in any way.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/11/2014 5:11:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Did the same thing!! worked great

Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/11/2014 9:19:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It is not modifying the mount at all, it didn't even take all the finish off. I didn't throw it on a lathe or anything. Can I ask why you want to add something that isn't part of the design and will wear out rather an simply doing some light polishing? It took me longer to write this than I did polishing it. I didn't have to order anything and won't have to replace an o-ring with it goes bad. YMMV.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dont want to do anything I was simply asking. My standard method is to modify last which is why I was asking.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 11:03:40 PM EDT
[#25]
I did notice that the o-ring trick does reduce concentricity slightly.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:28:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Any more updates?
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:53:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Just to add my two cents. My AAC 762sd locks up tight on my 51t mount. I crank it down to snug and there is just enough play to crank it to the next tooth. Granted I've only had it for a week, but it's tight and sounds good.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:50:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Just to add my two cents. My AAC 762sd locks up tight on my 51t mount. I crank it down to snug and there is just enough play to crank it to the next tooth. Granted I've only had it for a week, but it's tight and sounds good.
View Quote

Mine locks up on a couple mounts very snug, but on a couple others it does not. This mod would be good for folks with several hosts.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 1:07:01 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm still waiting on my 762SD, so I don't know if I'll have an issues yet... but here's a link for a 100-pack of Silicone o-rings (in case anyone's worried about 400F not being enough, these are rated to 450F).
http://www.amazon.com/020-Silicone-O-Ring-Durometer-Width/dp/B000FN0XZO
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 9:48:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Finally got my SDN6 out of jail.  Super tight lock up with no wobble on one rifle with a brakeout mount.  I can not test the other on my 5.56 yet as I have to remove a small amount of material off a Sampson rail so it will fit.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 2:37:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

I just picked up two and mine are the same way. They can be difficult to get off if I crank too much.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 6:21:15 PM EDT
[#32]
im interested to see how mine fit up now that I've got a M24K on the way.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 4:02:38 PM EDT
[#33]
bump

I forgot I ordered o rings. Just found them and put on. Locks up tight now. Just hope doesn't cause any problems.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 4:54:43 PM EDT
[#34]
silicone shouldn't be an issue.
dont get rubber orings.

Link Posted: 4/6/2015 7:08:29 PM EDT
[#35]
What's wrong with rubber?
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 10:21:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
What's wrong with rubber?
View Quote

Melty.
They get 7-800 degrees really quick.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 3:37:00 AM EDT
[#37]
Fuuuuuuuuuuck.  I'm about to have to send my sdn6 in for the SECOND time in about a year as it keeps backing off teeth when shooting on pretty much all my mounts.  These latches need to get fixed.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 11:58:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Looks like I might have to take some material off the mount.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 2:40:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Fuuuuuuuuuuck.  I'm about to have to send my sdn6 in for the SECOND time in about a year as it keeps backing off teeth when shooting on pretty much all my mounts.  These latches need to get fixed.
View Quote

As in the ones that you have need to get fixed or as in they need to figure out a revision that they can add to the cans already produced.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 3:05:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top