Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2014 11:39:20 PM EDT
I read that YHM recommends soaking a can in mineral spirits overnight and then blowing g out the excess with a compressor.

My QD titanium phantom 7.62 and m4-2000 both have a good amount of powder buildup inside the can walls in before the blast baffle.  So I tried the mineral spirits for  24 hr soak and it did jack shit.  The mineral spirits didn't even get a little cloudy as it dissolved absolutely nothing.  I didn't expect a whole lot but it did nothing to any carbon.   It'll be a long time before the cans fill up but I just figured a little maintenance every few thousand rds couldn't hurt.

You guys do anything?   Kroil?  Or is it all just a waste of time.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:49:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I never clean mine. The pressure keeps the majority of the stuff blown out.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:59:36 PM EDT
[#2]
About every 5000 rounds, I fill my Tactical Innovations TAC-16 with Hoppes #9 and leave it in overnight.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:01:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Anyone ever use an ultra sonic cleaner?
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 2:22:29 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Anyone ever use an ultra sonic cleaner?

View Quote

Lots of people have.  Just don't use it on aluminum.  Everything else is okay as far as I know.  Drop your baffles in for a while, or your whole can if need be.  It may not do the entire job on a full intact can, but will certainly help.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:33:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I have about 5k through my YHM and it is chunky like you describe. It is just as quiet as it ever was. I soak it in WD-40 once in a while, just couse it makes me happy. The more rough surfaces in the can, the better the supperssion. I just shoot and enjoy.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:28:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a SAS Arbiter.  It put on about 20% more weight. I tried sonic and no weight reduction.  Vinegar then sonic removed 1/2 an ounce.  I remembered reading at Silencer Tests about "the dip".  Plugged the end and filled it up and soaked for an hour or so.  It immediately started bubbling inside.  Emptied it and did the sonic again to remove any residue then dried it.  I thought I totally screwed it up and had pieces of broken baffle rattling around inside.  It turned out to be carbon chunks that broke free.  I repeated the process and it was shiny clean inside.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:20:00 AM EDT
[#7]
The dip is one of those few stories you hear murmurs about that works 100% as advertised.

I did it on my SilencerCo Sparrow SS (that had seen about 2500 rounds) and it restored the internals to brand new condition.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:47:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Dip recipe?
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:01:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Dip recipe?
View Quote

"The Dip" is a 50/50 mix of hydrogen peroxide and ammonia. You have to be careful with the byproduct after soaking your suppressor as any lead in the can is dissolved into lead acetate which is easily absorbed into the skin.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:04:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Sorry Silencer Talk not Silencer Tests.http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/  This stuff is really toxic.  I don't remember all the details.  That's why I didn't post how to mix it, but it's simple.  You can only use it on stainless and titanium.  It will destroy aluminum and alloy.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:43:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Having cleaned two of mine.... I would not do it again.  Not worth it, not necessary on a centerfire can.  If .22 can then yes. and only then.  Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:33:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Going to use my centerfire can until it explodes or catches fire.  Whichever comes first. 0 cleaning.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:29:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

"The Dip" is a 50/50 mix of hydrogen peroxide and ammonia. You have to be careful with the byproduct after soaking your suppressor as any lead in the can is dissolved into lead acetate which is easily absorbed into the skin.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dip recipe?

Ammonia....?  You mean vinegar.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:13:58 PM EDT
[#14]
I know about the dip and use it on my Spectre 2, but I would be nervous about using it in a sealed can.  I would be afraid I wouldn't get it all out.

Is the dip ok with titanium?
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:59:08 PM EDT
[#15]
(White vinegar)
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:06:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Having cleaned two of mine.... I would not do it again.  Not worth it, not necessary on a centerfire can.  If .22 can then yes. and only then.  Just my 2 cents.
View Quote

Agree. A good thumping, vertically, on a table or work bench to knock any big stuff out the end... other than that- waste of time. Dirty cans are quieter anyways, and when they weigh upwards of 1lb... the little weight you save isn't noticeable IMO
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:15:48 PM EDT
[#17]
I've used Ed's red soaked overnight with good result.

On a .22 can, the red turns brownish.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:05:56 PM EDT
[#18]
gem-tech recommends mineral spirits/ATF fluid. Check your manual.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:12:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

halfway to being to ed's red

CONTENTS: Ed's Red Bore Cleaner

1 part Dexron II, IIe or III ATF, GM Spec. D-20265 or later.

1 part Kerosene - deodorized, K1

1 part Aliphatic Mineral Spirits, Fed. Spec. TT-T-2981F, CAS
#64741-49-9, or may substitute "Stoddard Solvent", CAS #8052-41-3, or
equivalent, (aka "Varsol")

1 part Acetone, CAS #67-64-1.

(Optional up to 1 lb. of Lanolin, Anhydrous, USP per gallon, OK to
substitute Lanolin, Modified, Topical Lubricant, from the drug store)

I omit the lanolin

ed's red is the shit, and way cheap to make compared to the boutique gun cleaning products out there
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 6:27:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Pressure wash them, this is how at least one manufacturer cleans their cans when you send them in for cleaning. Something similar to the below item.

http://awcsystech.com/silencers/accessories-options/water-jet-cleaning-tool.html
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:03:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dip recipe?

Hope he does. Ammonia    50/50 white vinegar and H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top