Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2014 11:02:25 PM EDT
So I just bought a trust and I'm looking to get started on suppressors.

I need to find something that will work on a 7.5" 5.56 AR. I found some stuff in the archives, but I need to be able to talk with people who have actually tried different options, or whom may have recommendations for other brands / models that I did not uncover in my research.

I'm going to be using this 1:7 twist CrMoV Melonited barrel from Aero Precision and I'll be sure to have someone check it for thread concentricity and keyholing so I'm not worried about being able to stabilize the 50 grain TSX bullet I'm planning on purchasing for this build.

I know that this combination probably wont be hearing safe, but I just want to find something that will help as much as possible. I'm also planning on using this can on other guns, but I figure anything that can handle this role will do just fine with a longer barrel. I do want to be able to mount this to other ARs with full length barrels.

I've heard that I need to find something that mounts to a muzzle break style QD attachment so it will take the brunt of the most punishing blast and help slow down erosion, but I don't know which type of mount style may be better than another.

I also need something that is completely user serviceable if it exists.

And I'm thinking that an asymmetric baffle design may not be optimal for this project since they could lend towards less stable bullet flight inside the baffles. Let me know what you think about that.

And please don't waste everybody's time trying to talk me out of a 7" 5.56 caliber weapon. I'm not interested in building something in another caliber at this time (maybe 9mm later on down the road). 5.56 will be just fine for what I need it to do. I'm not interested in 300AAC right now, or any other boutique caliber. Please refrain from bringing that subject up, this is a thread about a suppressor for a short barreled 5.56

I need concrete info from people who have tried the following products (please specify the caliber, and model / metal type you use on your 7" barrel):
And please note that I have no idea if all of these are user serviceable.

YHM Phantom Stainless

Liberty Suppressors Torch QA

AAC 762-SDN-6

AAC M4-2000

SilencerCo. Saker

SilencerCo. Specwar

Innovative Arms Grunt (& Grunt-Mini) (Not sure if QD or not, but their "exoskeleton shroud" is interesting)

Spike's Tactical MRS & LRS (Not sure if QD. Also not sure if the "collar" will work on a short barrel.)

SAS (Suppressed Armament Systems) *

Thunderbeast 223A *

Ops Inc. ??? Not sure what model to look at.

Black Rain Ordnance Aris *

The * asterisk indicates that I do not know if the suppressor in question uses the QD muzzle break type of mount that I think would help slow down erosion.)
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 11:09:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think the suppressor you're searching for exists.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 11:11:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Perhaps not with all the features I'm thinking of, but I do know that lots of folks have had good results using a can on a 7" gun.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 11:18:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Perhaps not with all the features I'm thinking of, but I do know that lots of folks have had good results using a can on a 7" gun.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's my point.

Get a Saker.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 11:49:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 12:39:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Submit a form 1 to make your own. Copy a proven baffle stack and make yourself a ridiculously thick blast baffle. If you manage to blast it out a SOT can re-core it for a reasonable cost.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 3:14:52 AM EDT
[#6]
The can you want doesn't exist. For a 7", probably a Saker, Specwar, or the Surefire that's made for SBRs.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 3:15:53 AM EDT
[#7]
The Thunder Beast 223A is direct thread and specifically rated down to 7".

The Saker 5.56 would work but does not come with a brake (but is available).  

You may want to look at a .30 caliber suppressor such as the SpecWar or Saker models.

The HTG Aris is user serviceable but I'm not sure if it's rated for 7" barrels.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 3:43:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I also need something that is completely user serviceable. That's kinda a deal breaker for me right now.

I need concrete info from people who have tried the following products (please specify the caliber, and model / metal type you use on your 7" barrel):
View Quote

So...you have one "deal breaker" listed (other than the obvious fact it also needs to be rated down to 7"), and you went and found a link on the manufacturers' sites (instead of finding multiple items on a single site like SilencerShop.com), and yet you failed to actually look at the website to see if they're user serviceable.

That one feature alone is going to cross off most cans on your list. The 7" rating is going to mark off some others. And you'll be left with a minimal number to choose from, possibly mine of which will perform as you wish.

Get rid of the user serviceable requirement, read the info at the links you posted...both for user-serviceable options and mounting options, and then come back and the discussion will continue.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 6:49:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Rifle cans dont need to be user serviceable.  In your shoes I'd get a Saker 762.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:24:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

So...you have one "deal breaker" listed (other than the obvious fact it also needs to be rated down to 7"), and you went and found a link on the manufacturers' sites (instead of finding multiple items on a single site like SilencerShop.com), and yet you failed to actually look at the website to see if they're user serviceable.

Get rid of the user serviceable requirement, read the info at the links you posted...both for user-serviceable options and mounting options, and then come back and the discussion will continue.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I also need something that is completely user serviceable. That's kinda a deal breaker for me right now.

No, I did not fail to actually look at the websites I posted. I am brand new to this and there is only so much you can tell from a site.
There have been lots of times that someone on a forum has pointed out a product feature that I was not aware of, even after I visited the mfg's site.
Its easy to make a mistake about new information.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:26:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The HTG Aris is user serviceable but I'm not sure if it's rated for 7" barrels.
View Quote

That design was rated for 7" barrels back when HTG was still in business. Now that Black Rain Ordnance owns the design, I'm not so sure.
Like I said above, there is only so much information I can take in at once.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:36:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
No such animal. Decent rifle suppressors tend to be mono-core and fully welded. Don't think you're gonna find a user serviceable one that's up to the task of what you're asking.
View Quote

Yeah, you may be right about that.
I emailed Silencer Shop just a minute ago and asked them what they thought of my absurd "requirements".
We'll see.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:38:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Submit a form 1 to make your own. Copy a proven baffle stack and make yourself a ridiculously thick blast baffle. If you manage to blast it out a SOT can re-core it for a reasonable cost.
View Quote

I don't think I will be able to do this because I do not own, or have access to, or experience with, machine shop equipment.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:41:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The can you want doesn't exist. For a 7", probably a Saker, Specwar, or the Surefire that's made for SBRs.
View Quote

Which one from this page are you thinking of?
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:48:12 AM EDT
[#15]
SOCOM556-SB
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 8:16:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Huntertown Arms Kestrel is user servicable and rated for 556. Can't see any info on what is the shortest barrel you can use. I would suggest researching reviews for their products though.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 8:35:26 AM EDT
[#17]
I did look at the Kestrel. IIRC, their barrel minimum is 11.5".
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 9:28:19 AM EDT
[#18]
I ordered a saker 7.62 with 556 end cap for my noveske 7.5 diplomat.   as said before, they can't be taken a part.  you can also get an AAC 762 SDN 6.  I'd go with the former.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 9:35:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Why do you feel it needs to be user serviceable?
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 9:38:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ususlly it's people that don't own suppressors and don't know a whole lot about them that request having a take apart centerfire can. But it's not necessary at all.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 10:29:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I ordered a saker 7.62 with 556 end cap for my noveske 7.5 diplomat.   as said before, they can't be taken a part.  you can also get an AAC 762 SDN 6.  I'd go with the former.
View Quote

Nice.
Is the end cap the registered part, or could I order one end cap in each flavor to use with 30 cal guns in the future?
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 10:30:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Ususlly it's people that don't own suppressors and don't know a whole lot about them that request having a take apart centerfire can. But it's not necessary at all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. I'm new to all of this. It just seemed like it would be a really nice feature to have.
I figured I might be asking too much in my OP, but you never know what you don't know until you ask.
I guess an alternative would be to throw it in an ultrasonic cleaner like this one at Harbor Freight or just slosh it around in a bucket of hot soapy water.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 10:31:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 11:09:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Rifle cans dont need to be user serviceable.  In your shoes I'd get a Saker 762.
View Quote

Well if he is going to run it off a 7inch BBL, it will sure make replacement of the baffle a lot easier.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 2:17:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yep. I'm new to all of this. It just seemed like it would be a really nice feature to have.
I figured I might be asking too much in my OP, but you never know what you don't know until you ask.
I guess an alternative would be to throw it in an ultrasonic cleaner like this one at Harbor Freight or just slosh it around in a bucket of hot soapy water.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a legitimate question but there just isn't a need like rimfire cans. You can clean the can by doing something people call the dip. I think it's a mixture of vinegar and water or something, I can't remember off the top of my head. But a little searching will find that pretty easily.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 2:19:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Well if he is going to run it off a 7inch BBL, it will sure make replacement of the baffle a lot easier.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it gets to that point I would send it back to SilencerCo. But the saker is rated for short barrels and the internals are supposedly really tough stuff.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 2:20:47 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

If it gets to that point I would send it back to SilencerCo. But the saker is rated for short barrels and the internals are supposedly really tough stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I believe the Saker is only rated down to a 7.5" barrel...

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 2:24:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That does sound familiar. But is OP's barrel 7" or 7.5"?
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 5:30:21 PM EDT
[#29]
I would get a 30 cal can just to give a little more room for the bullet in case it is not fully stabilized from your 7" barrel.  Hopefully will lessen the chance of a baffle strike.  The Saker 762 is warrantied down to a 7" 556 barrel, so you're good there and it's made of Stellite which is supposed to be stronger than Inconel.  You're going to need all the strength you can get since you will be blasting the hell out of the blast baffle with that 7" barrel.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 6:51:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

7.5"
I said 7 in the thread title. I guess I should change it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 8:44:17 PM EDT
[#31]
ARMTAC
http://www.thearmouryguns.com/suppressors.html

Did a test @ DARC with one on an AA 7.5 piston upper.
We got it to 22K and change without cleaning etc before a baffle strike shooting nothing but Brown Bear 55gr.
They are inexpensive, as quiet or quieter than everything else on the market and come with a lifetime guarantee.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 12:14:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I emailed Silencer Shop just a minute ago and asked them what they thought of my absurd "requirements".
We'll see.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No such animal. Decent rifle suppressors tend to be mono-core and fully welded. Don't think you're gonna find a user serviceable one that's up to the task of what you're asking.

We'll see.

Yup you called it.
I got an email back from Silencer Shop and they said of all the different cans they stock these 3 are my best bet for a 7.5" barrel:
Thunderbeast 223A
SilencerCo. Saker
Surefire SOCOM556-SB
so I was hoping we can talk about the merits of those 3 from here on.
I see a lot of people recomending the Saker, and right now I'm leaning towards getting the 7.62 with a 5.56 end cap like someone already mentioned.
What the heck is Stellite™? Is that alone a good reason to stop looking at the other two options?

I was also thinking about maybe getting the Thunderbeast 223A and just running a linear comp such as the DPMS Levang most of the time, and then threading the 223A onto the gun when I want. Neither one of those items would need more than a strap wrench I think to get them off, unless you guys think I should be using Rockset on that type of can. If that's the case, then the 223A is out of the race at this point.

I don't know what to think about the Surefire option. Their marketing dept sure knows how to fill a page with cool sounding language.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:31:41 AM EDT
[#33]
I second the Saker and in the 762 variant.  Little more space in case bullets don't get stable in such a short barrel (probably will never be a problem but hey its a nice peace of mind).  Also, as many of us have learned, it's much smarter to buy a 30cal can and use it on multiple hosts.  saves money, time, etc.  :)

Good luck!  Def post pics when you get it all squared away.  

side note:  I've used my Gemtech Trek on my 7.5 PWS Diablo without issue.  It's a thread on can so i don't leave it on the gun normally (i run a PWS CQB comp primarily), but it functioned just fine, especially with adjustable gas block.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:48:03 AM EDT
[#34]
I would get the saker for this application, and get a brake mount.

I wouldn't want to be threading a can on and off and swapping a comp. it isn't hard, but it does require tools and you will use a lot of crush washers. I would also not recommend a thread on can for rapid fire application. While great for precision they can come unthreaded and have a great potential for a baffle strike.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 4:09:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless the OP is a manufacturer he will have to send it off anyway.  SilencerCo rates the 762 Saker down to 7.5" 5.56 barrels and given their customer service I'm sure he will be taken care of if anything happens.  They would have no problem getting the baffle stack out at the factory.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:40:11 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

What the heck is Stellite™? Is that alone a good reason to stop looking at the other two options?

View Quote

Stellite

Stellite is a family of cobalt-chromium alloys that have great properties for use in a silencer.
The alloy used in the Saker is most likely a low carbon variety of Stellite since the high carbon alloys can not be machined, they are ground to form.

If I were making the choice the Saker would be it, SilencerCo is a great company and the Saker with Stellite baffles should be the best material for your intended use.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:57:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top