BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:31:49 AM EDT
[#2]
16" upper.

Yeah, i've sent an email with pictures, but it happened after business hours Friday, and tomorrow is a holiday, so i dont expect a reply so soon. I'm a patient guy.

No need for me to get riled up before giving them a chance to make right, you know?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:05:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I have the ak 762 model.  It's a very expensive flash hider. I was disappointed.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:06:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have the ak 762 model.  It's a very expensive flash hider. I was disappointed.
View Quote

Heavy too I bet

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:02:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the 22 can I love it. Think it is well worth the money. I demoed many 22 cans some a lot nicer but didn't think they where worth extra money.

But the 556 can is a other story.  It is not bad but I think there is much better buys out there like AAC SD-556, it is a great low price option I feel.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 2:00:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm curious if anyone has tried this one on 9mm or 300 blackout.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 9:16:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Well, I called HTA and left a message, i sent in a warranty claim, and i sent two emails explaining the problem. After two weeks I received a response to one of the emails asking me to file a warranty claim including a link to the warranty page.

I will give HTA a chance to make right and fix it under warranty, but am sincerely considering driving an hour to Innovative Arms and ask them to redesign it and build a new baffle stack for it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:15:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm looking at permanently mounting a Kestrel 7.62 AK on an AR15 pistol with a 7.5" barreled .300 BLK upper to get > 26" to use a VFG. Since this AR15 pistol replaced my 12GA shotgun as the 'bedroom gun', will be using subsonics for HD/SD and supersonics when taking it to the family farm to shoot pigs from the blind.

I'll admit that I'm a total suppressor n00b.

Questions:
1) Am I correct in picking up the vibs that Huntertown is the HiPoint of the suppressor industry?
2) Would their 7.62 AK can be alright for the above scenario with the AR15 pistol (I'm definitely getting a better rifle can to use on my AR15 and bolt .308/.243. )?
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:44:38 PM EDT
[#9]
The 762 ak sucks so bad you might be better off without using it at all.  I would save up and get something better! You'll regret the 762 ak! I tried it on a sw m/p 9mm pistol and it was better but still not hearing safe. The bore of the can is .400 so way big for a 7.62. Might be ok on a 9mm ar. And I'm sure someone's gonna ask so I'll go ahead and say no a pistol will not cycle with it but I just wanted to see if 9mm could make it through the can without a baffle strike.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 3:16:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The 762 ak sucks so bad you might be better off without using it at all.  I would save up and get something better! You'll regret the 762 ak! I tried it on a sw m/p 9mm pistol and it was better but still not hearing safe. The bore of the can is .400 so way big for a 7.62. Might be ok on a 9mm ar. And I'm sure someone's gonna ask so I'll go ahead and say no a pistol will not cycle with it but I just wanted to see if 9mm could make it through the can without a baffle strike.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 6:32:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

My dealer had one sitting for about a year so he cut me a deal. I intend on using it in my 9mm AR SBR and occasionally 300 blackout with subs.  I needed a user serviceable can that would take the occasional supersonic as I cast my own bullets and need to clean the lead.

It was cheap enough, so why not.

I don't intend to use it on an AK.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 9:09:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

My dealer had one sitting for about a year so he cut me a deal. I intend on using it in my 9mm AR SBR and occasionally 300 blackout with subs.  I needed a user serviceable can that would take the occasional supersonic as I cast my own bullets and need to clean the lead.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because see my pics of the front baffle getting crushed from normal/less than normal shooting, that's why not.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:09:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I had some end cap strikes on my 556 HTA when I put it on my slidefire and it got loose. I contacted them and asked them to fix it, even if I had to pay for it, and they just asked me to pay for shipping both ways. I had it back in about 2 weeks, and only had to pay for shipping.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:31:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Good to hear FAL.

One of the baffles in my HTA Kestrel AK is thicker than the others.  Wonder if I should run it as the first baffle?  They are supposed to be interchangeable.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 12:36:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Spill the beans; what did you pay?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 8:17:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Update: i got the suppressor with the crushed baffle back from huntertown arms the other day. They basically just replaced the whole stack in the tube. The new baffles arent shiny like the previous ones were; i dont know what's up with that.

When HTA contacted me after i decided to just send the thing off to them after no response to my calls/emails/waranty claims, they told me that the damage was due to me using a caliber the suppressor was not designed to handle. I shot underpowered .223 through a 7.62 can, and that is what happened. Thank merciful Christ that i didnt shoot using the caliber it was designed to be used for! The whole damn thing would probably implode upon itself!

The new baffles are just as thin as the prior ones. Absolute junk.

They told me if i had another failure like this i would have to pay for the repair. So basically, i cant use the damn thing unless I want to pay for new innards everytime i want to take it to the range.  You sell me a subpar product and wont honor your waranty when it goes tits-up? Yeah, lesson learned; i'm getting rid of this thing, i'll take the loss on it and will likely sell it for the cost of a new stamp and a bottle of champipple.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 9:40:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Rather then take a loss on it have you considered sending it to another manufacturer to have a baffle stack made for it.  I've read about guys doing exactly that with great results over at silencertalk.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 9:49:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Rather then take a loss on it have you considered sending it to another manufacturer to have a baffle stack made for it.  I've read about guys doing exactly that with great results over at silencertalk.
View Quote

As far as I know, it's completely kosher for an 07/02 to do that that's what I'd do.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 9:54:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

He took it down to Innovative Arms and Phillip couldn't do anything with it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 10:58:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Yeah, i tried that with the only local 07/02 we have.  I might go down the route of mailing it, i just hate rolling the dice with mailing it. Even though i use insurance everytime, it is just a stroke-inducing idea that my suppressor could wind up lost *cough* stolen *cough* .

The only place i have seen is Rhino industries, or something like that, and they basically just turn non-serviceable cans into serviceable cans.

Any suggestions for companies that do baffles?
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 11:10:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Yeah, i tried that with the only local 07/02 we have.  I might go down the route of mailing it, i just hate rolling the dice with mailing it. Even though i use insurance everytime, it is just a stroke-inducing idea that my suppressor could wind up lost *cough* stolen *cough* .

The only place i have seen is Rhino industries, or something like that, and they basically just turn non-serviceable cans into serviceable cans.

View Quote

Tens of thousands of guns are shipped without issue every day. No big deal.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 12:47:13 PM EDT
[#22]

Sounds to me like you should insure it for MSRP + stamp, write "expensive firearms" on the outside of the box, then hope it disappears on the way to the manufacturer to upgrade the baffle stack.

Win win. You either get a functioning can, or all your money back.

Link Posted: 10/14/2014 1:25:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

SRI (Stalking Rhino) will do just about anything if you ask. They will do baffles. There are also a few 07/02s over on silencertalk that can do custom baffles for you. I hate to point to another site, but I feel it is warranted in this case to ensure you are properly squared away.

The HTA design blows for supersonic centerfire rounds. Those should be cone baffles.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 3:05:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The HTA design blows for supersonic centerfire rounds. Those should be cone baffles.
View Quote

Meh. Shot my HTA Kestrel 556 side by side with my buddies Silencerco Saker 556 all weekend.  Everyone concluded they sound nearly identical.  Imo the only thing the Saker has over it is the weight/materials used and the kickass QD mount.  I also tossed my Kestrel on my bolt action 22lr several times and was quite impressed with the results in comparison to a dedicated.22lr can.

Haters gonna hate.  With that said HTA's customer service still sucks ass.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 3:33:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Double post
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 5:03:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Meh. Shot my HTA Kestrel 556 side by side with my buddies Silencerco Saker 556 all weekend.  Everyone concluded they sound nearly identical.  Imo the only thing the Saker has over it is the weight/materials used and the kickass QD mount.  I also tossed my Kestrel on my bolt action 22lr several times and was quite impressed with the results in comparison to a dedicated.22lr can.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The issue with this is that supersonic rounds are loud by default. The crack in and of itself is in the 140 dB range, depending on distance from the meter. On a semi-auto such as an AR, you also get significant noise from the ejection port.

The Kestrel 556 uses a modified cone design that does indeed perform fine for the price. It is still noteworthy to mention that other manufacturers using much simpler conical baffles are able to squeeze out better performance.

The images saturn posted show what vaguely looks like a K-baffle. K-baffles are popular in low pressure applications such as rimfire cans and some pistol cans. Unfortunately, in higher pressure environments, such as on a 5.56 or .308 firearm, the design requires quite a lot of added material (and weight) to work reliably. In such applications, most major manufacturers have opted for conical baffles of various dimensions with 60-degree cones being among the most popular. It has been found that not only are the cones stronger for a given amount of material, but they also perform better than Ks for these purposes.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 7:50:58 PM EDT
[#27]
I went with a HTA Kestrel 22 for my first can, dealer had it in stock and seemed like a decent deal at $299. I have no complaints on quality or sound reduction. With that said I choose a more reputable manufacture for my pistol and rifle suppressors.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 7:59:18 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Huntertown has earned all the hate that they get. I say that as an owner of one of their cans and a number of quality cans.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top