Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2014 9:58:26 PM EDT
I had a quick question about .308 cans on .223/5.56 AR-15's.

I have read a lot of people describing an increase in back pressure to their AR-15 (faster bolt velocities, brass at 1 o clock) when mounting a dedicated 5.56 can.

Is this the same when it comes to a .308 can? Is it much to notice?

I was watching this video of a guy shooting his .223 AR-15 with an AAC SDN-6 can on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlPOQlYZ0hI

His brass (well, steel) case ejection was nearly identical.

Can anyone running a .308 can on a .223 AR pitch in?

Also, is there a noticeable gas to face problem with this setup?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:10:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I run a 762 Ti Phantom on my 556. I don't get any gas to the face, though I do notice that it does increase back pressure a little bit.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:06:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I run a 762 Ti Phantom on my 556. I don't get any gas to the face, though I do notice that it does increase back pressure a little bit.
View Quote

I run the same setup and still get gassed pretty good with some of my setups. 18" rifle gas system, no problems at all. 10.5" on the other hand is gassy as hell!! I'm sure that's due to a larger gas port to compensate for the short dwell on the 10.5.  Still, RTV on the back of a BCM Gunfighter charging handle has made it almost unnoticeable except under prolonged rapid fire.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:42:20 AM EDT
[#3]
You still get plenty of blow back.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:59:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm currently running a 10.5" Noveske barrel with switchblock, H2 buffer and Surefire cans.  With the 556RC and the suppressed setting on the gas block it runs like a top, no issues and the blowback is not noticeably more than in a standard non-suppressed setup (I do notice a bit more fouling when I clean it).  When I put the 762RC on it, the weapon does not have enough gas to cycle in the suppressed position, and I need to set the gas block to the unsuppressed position.  Which means that the 762RC is the perfect can for my 5.56 guns without adjustable gas blocks.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:01:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:52:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Right now I sboot a Specwar 762 on a 16"AR and carbine and don't have gassing or cycling issues.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:52:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've had customers buy my product and later tell me they were using a 30 cal can and the port sizes I selected for a 5.56 can actually worked with their .30 cal can.  I definitely recall someone telling me this was the case with his SDN6.

I also tried this myself using a 7.62 Specwar and to my surprise I had the same results.  Same smaller suppressed port size worked for the .30 cal suppressor.  

Some customers have told me their reloads wouldn't lock the bolt back while factory would which is no surprise.

http://micromoa.com
https://www.facebook.com/MicroMOA  
View Quote

Thanks for the great info as well as everyone else. I was thinking about running an adjustable gas block to mitigate gas to face/over pressure as opposed to getting a piston gun. I get my SDN6 in 2 months.

Anyone running an Adjustable DI gas system with a suppressor? How's it going?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:24:25 AM EDT
[#8]
i dont have any issues with my 762 can on my AR.  cycled fine and no gas in the face.  wasnt as quiet as i'd hoped.  hurt my right ear, but was quiet on the left (rigth side ejecting AR and i'm right handed, so it wasnt suprising)
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:55:02 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a Sig 516 with 16 inch barrel that I run a Gemtech Quicksand on. I run it on the normal gas setting  both suppressed and unsuppressed. It won't run on the suppressor gas setting with the 30 Cal can., but will with a Gemtech  Trek 223 can. I get very little gas blow back due to the piston drive of the 516. Do get some back thru the barrel, but runs a lot cleaner than my DI gun.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:51:01 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a 14.5" middy in 5.56 that I run a Surefire socom-rc762 on.
I got an adjustable Syrac gas block to use on it and I haven't changed the setting from how it came from the factory. It runs suppressed and unsuppressed 100% so far using PMC xm193, PMC m855, Lake City m855, Black Hills reman 75gr .223, Black Hills mk262, and Federal Gold medal match 77gr .223.  Brass ejects 1:00-2:00 suppressed and 2:00-3:00 unsuppressed. Not sure if I can optimize shooting one way or the other if I mess with the setting, but I haven't needed to yet.
Also, the blowback hasn't bothered me at all, but I also haven't done mag dumps or high volume shooting.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:43:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have a Sig 516 with 16 inch barrel that I run a Gemtech Quicksand on. I run it on the normal gas setting  both suppressed and unsuppressed. It won't run on the suppressor gas setting with the 30 Cal can., but will with a Gemtech  Trek 223 can. I get very little gas blow back due to the piston drive of the 516. Do get some back thru the barrel, but runs a lot cleaner than my DI gun.
View Quote

I run the Quicksand (30 cal) on my 10" Sig 516.  Normal gas setting w/o suppressor; suppressed setting w/suppressor and it functions fine.  I haven't tried normal setting w/suppressed.  No gas in face.  Both ways give ejection at about 4 o'clock.  Oh, I'm using reloads with slightly less oomph than factory ammo.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top