BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:25:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I question the durability and longevity of attaching to internal choke threads.  That's a lot of weight and torque being applied to very shallow, thin threads.
View Quote

I somewhat agree. I think an external mounting system may be a better idea, though I don't think they have released any information on the length and intensity of testing that was performed utilizing the internal choke threading. I would assume that they wouldn't release a product that would eventually damage the host weapon.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:22:05 AM EDT
[#2]
A shotgun choke is a very long cylinder with a very precise fit into the barrel it is installed.  I would offer that all the threads do is prevent the choke from coming out, and all lateral forces would be transferred from the choke cylinder to the barrel independent of the threads.  It's also a common way to install breaching attachments.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:58:02 AM EDT
[#3]

New video uploaded
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 1:32:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
A shotgun choke is a very long cylinder with a very precise fit into the barrel it is installed.  I would offer that all the threads do is prevent the choke from coming out, and all lateral forces would be transferred from the choke cylinder to the barrel independent of the threads.  It's also a common way to install breaching attachments.
View Quote

I agree with this. The weight and strain isn't on the threads. The choke wedges itself inside the barrel and all the force is pressed outwards distributing the load to the barrel.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:35:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agreed, but two things make this application quite different. Gases impacting baffles of an attached suppressor are going to yank on the choke threads substantially more than a simple choke would. And while I haven't seen any specs on the can, it will add a weight element that far exceeds what the choke threads were designed to handle.

If anyone remembers Great Lakes Arsenal's attempt at recreating the Vietnam-era Navy SEAL duckbill choke,it was determined that these had to be silver soldered to the muzzle because they wouldn't last more than a few rounds as a screw-in choke application. They would break free of the choke threads and launch down range.

Not questioning the R&D at all, SilencerCo knows what they're doing. This is just my first thought on the idea of using factory choke threads for this purpose.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:41:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Does this suppressor have an internal tube with holes to guide the shot but at the same time allow expanding gasses into the baffles?  Has this can been metered?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I bought one of these frommRJF. It worked pretty good on my SBS
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b96/leondana/6b18ed6d.jpg

Does this suppressor have an internal tube with holes to guide the shot but at the same time allow expanding gasses into the baffles?  Has this can been metered?

Yes you are correct. I could shoot my 8" Tromix indoors without earplugs FWIW..
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:18:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Agreed, but two things make this application quite different. Gases impacting baffles of an attached suppressor are going to yank on the choke threads substantially more than a simple choke would. And while I haven't seen any specs on the can, it will add a weight element that far exceeds what the choke threads were designed to handle.

If anyone remembers Great Lakes Arsenal's attempt at recreating the Vietnam-era Navy SEAL duckbill choke,it was determined that these had to be silver soldered to the muzzle because they wouldn't last more than a few rounds as a screw-in choke application. They would break free of the choke threads and launch down range.

Not questioning the R&D at all, SilencerCo knows what they're doing. This is just my first thought on the idea of using factory choke threads for this purpose.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I tend to agree. Perhaps the adapter uses the outside of the barrel as support?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:24:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would think the duckbills were also taking the force of the shot.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:31:07 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm interested in buying one if these if there is a mount system for a SBS.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:21:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I question the durability and longevity of attaching to internal choke threads.  That's a lot of weight and torque being applied to very shallow, thin threads.
View Quote

I'm quite sure that 3.5" magnum loads of steel shot through a full choke are MUCH more stressful than 2 pounds of suppressor hanging off the end.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:35:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
http://youtu.be/kXeDGxtWbjc

New video uploaded
View Quote

Quoted for those on iPotatoes.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 1:22:59 PM EDT
[#12]
I would be interested in finding out how many rounds before you should tighten the silencer back down, being that it is large, heavy, and threaded on.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:16:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Wonder if they are going to be making adapters for the KSG.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:48:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Wonder if they are going to be making adapters for the KSG.
View Quote

I was curious about this too. But I'm sure sending the barrel in for choke threading would be the answer.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:50:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm interested in buying one if these if there is a mount system for a SBS.

View Quote

Get your barrel threaded.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:05:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Getting ready to send mine off to him for this exact build within the next week and wondering the same thing. I called today but didn't get a chance to talk to him. Ill probably call or email tomorrow and see what he thinks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Will this work with one of Tromix's 8 inch Saiga's?   If not I'm sure Tony will find a way.    

Getting ready to send mine off to him for this exact build within the next week and wondering the same thing. I called today but didn't get a chance to talk to him. Ill probably call or email tomorrow and see what he thinks.

So I spoke with Tony today & he's aware of this new suppressor & was going to email SiCo to let them know just how large the Saiga market is & that they better plan on making a choke adapter for it.  

Apparently from the rumors, it sounds like SiCo is already looking into making one for the Saiga platform.  Can anyone from SiCo confirm this & have an anticipated availability date?

Tony said that he uses the standard Saiga barrel & everything so as long as they make a choke with external threads, us Saiga owners should be good to go.  

I'm thinking of the Tromix S17 w/ 8" barrel & 8" SiCo suppressor

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:07:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I would be interested in finding out how many rounds before you should tighten the silencer back down, being that it is large, heavy, and threaded on.
View Quote

We'll, a loose suppressor is always bad, but using factory choke threads does provide one major advantage in that it will largely eliminate barrel concentricity issues.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:39:27 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't think I saw anybody else post the link, but here's a pretty good write-up by soldiersystems.net.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:59:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I don't think I saw anybody else post the link, but here's a pretty good write-up by soldiersystems.net.
View Quote

Good grab. Thanks.

That multicam anodizing is sexy as hell.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:28:14 PM EDT
[#20]

I wonder if they plan on making a Gen_2  out of titanium , to make it lighter?

Maybe a package deal were you get all four lengths, comes in a pelican case, with maybe alittle SilencerCo swag or some kind of deal??

Can we SilencerCo for a Q&A thread?

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:53:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Good grab. Thanks.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good grab. Thanks.

How in the blue fuck are they anodizing multicam and shutupandyakemymoney.jpg
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:00:45 PM EDT
[#22]
As a general rule, I'll be getting one...I guess it's time to pony up. My dept. allows personal suppressors for duty use as long as they are qualified with the appropriate documentation...bet I'll be the only guy rocking a suppressed shotty!

Time to SBS a Benelli...
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:30:19 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a 14" Benelli M4 I might have to get one of these for.  

First, I'll have to see who can thread the chrome plated barrel for a choke.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:01:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

THIS
dove hunting is what's fucked up my hearing more than anything else
(and shotguns are the only things I shoot unsuppressed)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shut. Up.  Take my money.

THIS
dove hunting is what's fucked up my hearing more than anything else
(and shotguns are the only things I shoot unsuppressed)

Yup.  Im totally going to get one.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:13:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Multicam anodized  So much want!!!!
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:21:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good grab. Thanks.

Probably Type II anodizing.  People have been doing all kinds of crazy patterns.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:43:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Don't know if it's been posted but you can joing the waiting list over at SilencerShop. $1400  
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:44:06 PM EDT
[#28]
I imagine these will be selling for full retail for awhile.  I am not in any hurry and will let you all buy yours first.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:18:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Here's quick video we took at the SilencerCo event. The audio does a decent job of representing reality. (edited to correct link)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca-DpWXnuJA&list=UUSRUVUiI2kt3qvnMESK9O0w

And a couple of pics for you too.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:27:39 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Here's quick video we took at the SilencerCo event. The audio does a decent job of representing reality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca-DpWXnuJA
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:52:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Why do people insist on shooting at steel in silencer videos?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:00:39 PM EDT
[#32]
I suppose well eventually need a "Suppressed Shotgun Picture Thread".
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:43:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I imagine these will be selling for full retail for awhile.  I am not in any hurry and will let you all buy yours first.
View Quote

I don't think so, Silencer Shop didn't sell the Saker 7.62 at retail a few months ago when demand was high. I bet the SS price is around $1000-1100, at least I hope so, I don't know that I will buy it at $1400 plus stamp and sales tax. That would put the final price around $1700 for those of us in Texas.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:55:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Why do people insist on shooting at steel in silencer videos?
View Quote

So you can hear the ding.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 12:22:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I don't think so, Silencer Shop didn't sell the Saker 7.62 at retail a few months ago when demand was high. I bet the SS price is around $1000-1100, at least I hope so, I don't know that I will buy it at $1400 plus stamp and sales tax. That would put the final price around $1700 for those of us in Texas.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As mentioned by another poster but here is the link.  At this time it is listed at $1400 on Silencer Shop's site.

http://www.silencershop.com/shop/category/silencers/shotgun/
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:37:49 AM EDT
[#36]
I'll bet that price changes before you can actually order one.  Since it was just announced I'm sure they have not decided on an actual price point yet and are just listing MSRP for the time being.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 11:14:28 AM EDT
[#37]
My dealer quoted me $1082 for the can and $248 for the choke adaptor. $1330 total.

ETA: the $248 is for 3 choke adaptorS
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 11:36:57 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
My dealer quoted me $1082 for the can and $248 for the choke adaptor. $1330 total.
View Quote

$248 for the choke adaptor? fuuuuuck
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 11:43:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No way that can be correct...
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 11:47:00 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

I love the idea of this can, but it's going to have to wait for a while.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 12:21:37 PM EDT
[#41]
The soldiersystems article says it's $300 for the three choke set.  I'm betting the $248 is for a set of 3.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 12:39:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The soldiersystems article says it's $300 for the three choke set.  I'm betting the $248 is for a set of 3.
View Quote

That would make sense.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 1:07:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Meaning one IC/MOD/FULL package maybe? But then you still have to separately buy the kits to change lengths.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 1:14:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Meaning one IC/MOD/FULL package maybe? But then you still have to separately buy the kits to change lengths.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Change the length of the suppressor? I always thought that having extra baffles laying around was a no no. Unless I misinterpreted what you're saying...

ETA: Just went on Silencerco and read it again. I see what you're talking about, it says the suppressor is modular and you can change the length.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 1:19:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, one pack of 3 chokes.  No, no kits needed to change lengths.  You buy a 12" suppressor that you can shorten to 10, 8 or 6.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 1:26:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Yes, one pack of 3 chokes.  No, no kits needed to change lengths.  You buy a 12" suppressor that you can shorten to 10, 8 or 6.
View Quote

Correct. The explanation was ATF allows you to shorten a suppressor, but not lengthen. So, you buy the 12" can and run it with whatever setup you want based on desired length/weight/noise reduction.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:02:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Correct. The explanation was ATF allows you to shorten a suppressor, but not lengthen. So, you buy the 12" can and run it with whatever setup you want based on desired length/weight/noise reduction.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

wow
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:17:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I'm quite sure that 3.5" magnum loads of steel shot through a full choke are MUCH more stressful than 2 pounds of suppressor hanging off the end.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have no way to measure it but that was the first thing that came to me as well. How about the 3.5" Turkey kick your ass loads through those XFull chokes?? Got to be hard on the system.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:04:54 PM EDT
[#49]
The design is brilliant.  I would sometimes wonder what the best way to suppress a shotgun would be, and I never even came close to a track system for the wad to ride through the suppressor on.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:00:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Change the length of the suppressor? I always thought that having extra baffles laying around was a no no. Unless I misinterpreted what you're saying...

ETA: Just went on Silencerco and read it again. I see what you're talking about, it says the suppressor is modular and you can change the length.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, pretty cool design. They sell it as a 12" suppressor so you can make it shorter but it will never be longer than 12". I think it's a pretty neat suppressor.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top