View Quote

Which means a street price of ~$1000-1100
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:16:13 PM EDT
[#2]
From the Silencerco website, the can mounts using existing choke tube threads

..the Salvo 12 fits most common shotguns — provided you have a
choked barrel. The suppressor attaches to the the existing choke threads
via an adapter. Due to differences in shotgun manufacturer and choke
preference, it is important that you select the correct adapter.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:08:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No in weight and length

WEIGHT:
12" - 32 OZ
10" - 27.5 OZ
8"  - 23 OZ
6"  - 18.5 OZ
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The 6" and 8" look promising.

They look pretty loud to me.

dB AT EAR:
12" - 132.0
10" - 134.1
8"  - 137.0
6"  - 140.6

dB AT MUZZLE:
12" - 137.9
10" - 141.1
8"  - 145.1
6"  - 149.2

ETA:  10" and 12" models look interesting reduction-wise.

No in weight and length

WEIGHT:
12" - 32 OZ
10" - 27.5 OZ
8"  - 23 OZ
6"  - 18.5 OZ

Dang....that's like having a big gulp hanging off the end of your shotgun.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:44:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Interesting.  So I need a short barreled shotgun that takes chokes and one of these.  Now if I can just buy the right lottery ticket.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:54:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Interesting.  So I need a short barreled shotgun that takes chokes and one of these.  Now if I can just buy the right lottery ticket.
View Quote

Thing is that most SBS's are either factory cylinder bored or Form 1'ed (and thus cylinder bored).

What they really should do is make sure they have an adapter that fits Briley's house thread pattern, so that people can send their barrels in to be threaded.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:09:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I would still like to know if the adapters will be where the choke tube is, if it is fixed choke, variable choke, or if you just screw choke tubes in to the front of the can.

Also, I don't think the 'modular' take on the suppressor is what SiCo has in mind.  I think that they can build it in any length, but you will get one length.  Might be wrong.  We'll see.  Modular would be AWESOME.  I could shoot trap with the 12" on a 18.5" barrel and then set it up for 6" with my SBS for Home Defense work!
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:23:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Interdasting.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:30:03 PM EDT
[#8]
The necessity for threaded chokes bothers me. The best fit for these suppressors will be a SBS, and as noted above, a short shotgun barrel threaded for chokes is few and far between.

A 12" 32oz can will be much more noticeable hanging off the end of 18" vs 12" or even 10".

I guess I'm just stating the obvious...
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:00:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't think the SBS is Silencerco's target audience for this release. I think this release and all the marketing screams hunting.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:00:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The necessity for threaded chokes bothers me. The best fit for these suppressors will be a SBS, and as noted above, a short shotgun barrel threaded for chokes is few and far between.

A 12" 32oz can will be much more noticeable hanging off the end of 18" vs 12" or even 10".

View Quote

http://www.briley.com/2009/screwchokepricing.html

They just need to make adapters to fit... Although it looks like Briley doesn't work on NFA guns. Someone else probably does.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:03:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

At 32 oz I'd think it would be very noticeable on a 12". My Socom Mini at 12 oz is noticeable on my 11.5" SBR.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:19:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I don't think the SBS is Silencerco's target audience for this release. I think this release and all the marketing screams hunting.
View Quote

I agree with your assessment. That being said...My SBS wants one.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:24:15 PM EDT
[#13]
AHHHh yes! NOW my Magpul-ized 870 will be complete!
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:25:36 PM EDT
[#14]
I know they say it will work on inertia driven, but I'd make darn sure it cycles, you will probably have to take everything else off.

That being said, 14.5" Benelli m2 @ 5+1w/ the 6" version would make a great HD shotgun, probably handle the same as an 18.5" @ 7+1. Yeah it'll still be LOUD but not ear-drum blowing loud

For hunting, bring the full 12", you'll be using 3" shoulder killer shells anyway.  May have to go w a 21" bbl.  

For clay shooting, dont bother I think.
Probably going to be cylinder choke?
Also, it seems as though this would obscure a bead sight?.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:31:57 PM EDT
[#15]
I talked to my buddy who was at the release. This is what I was told.

Stocked and selling late fall.

Mossberg was there and expressed an interest making a gun just for this.

It is modular, in case anyone was confused about that. ATF according to him doesn't consider it manufacturing when you add them back. You get the 12" version and can reduce or add back to it.

Has to be for a choke threaded barrel. He said he is sure the .mil will want them for its SBSs so he thinks you'll see barrels coming out for it. (He's a retired Marine Sniper Team Leader who is well known in the industry).

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:37:16 PM EDT
[#16]
My only question is will I be able to put this on my Vepr 12?  It's currently waiting on a Form 1 to chop the barrel down to 12", I suppose I could have it threaded to whatever it needs to be compatible. As popular as Saigas and Veprs are, I'm sure someone would start making aftermarket barrels if that's what it takes.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:45:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My only question is will I be able to put this on my Vepr 12?  It's currently waiting on a Form 1 to chop the barrel down to 12", I suppose I could have it threaded to whatever it needs to be compatible. As popular as Saigas and Veprs are, I'm sure someone would start making aftermarket barrels if that's what it takes.
View Quote

http://www.carolinashooterssupply.com/product_p/dph-choke.htm
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:50:18 PM EDT
[#18]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sweet!!  I love the fact that this thing can lengths as you wish.  That's some serious innovation there, SilencerCo is definitely distancing itself from the other manufacturers.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:51:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nothing a lathe can't fix.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:51:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Sweet!!  I love the fact that this thing can lengths as you wish.  That's some serious innovation there, SilencerCo is definitely distancing itself from the other manufacturers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now they need to make a handgun/subgun suppressor that does the same thing.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:00:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Brownells sells the tools to thread the barrel yourself as well, not cheap.  Minimum OD needed is ~.845.  22mm is just a touch over that, so should be good.  It's about $300 for the reamer, tap, and bushing though.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:02:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess I'm showing my ignorance, but is there enough material to thread into an 870 barrel and still have the strength to hold a 32oz can?
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:14:49 PM EDT
[#23]
I dont know how it attaches or works, but all I know is I must have one!!
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:17:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:23:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:35:41 PM EDT
[#26]
I will be picking one up to put on my Serbu Super Shorty.

ETA:
And I will find someone to make this happen.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 11:26:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'll try and answer a lot of questions in one reply as I'm short for time at the SCO event:

First off, this is an amazing suppressor. To my ears, it sounds like an Osprey 45 and we were shooting 1 1/8 oz. shotshells @ 1145 FPS (not subsonic).

1. It is modular and being sold in a 12" configuration. For $50 users can buy 10", 8", or 6" rods to reduce the size of the suppressor.
2. The suppressor is shipping in September which means we will probably see it in October. Orders are already placed and we will have it on our website in the next few days so guys can get on the list.
3. SilencerCo is discussing manufacturing an external thread adapter for Saigas. The same may work easily on your SBS / AOW without a choke system. A minimum barrel length has not yet been announced but SCO plans to test on 10.5 breachers soon.
4. At first, the weight on the end is noticeable, but after a couple of swings of the shotgun, you barely notice it. The lack or recoil makes up for the added weight.
5. Pattern: SCO states it opens the pattern slightly compared to the a similar shotgun choke without a suppressor attached. POI is the same off or on.
6. We shot it on inertia driven Benelli's all day without any issues.
View Quote

Can you put slugs through it? I guess stabilization would be a big issue.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 11:47:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:11:24 AM EDT
[#29]
I'll put one on a KSG 16" patrol model.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:29:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Damn!  I still can't get over how cool this is.  It is going to be a long wait until September, hurry SilencerCo.

shutupandtakemymoney.jpg
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:23:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:06:38 AM EDT
[#32]
The rods are a boner killer.

Just because if you're playing around trying to find out what you like most it's going to cost you.

Excited to see these get to the shop I work at though.

The guy I know who was there said it was like shooting a suppressed .22. You apparently could hear the shot bouncing off the clay bird.

capitolarmory, do you know what ammo they were using?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:32:47 AM EDT
[#33]
I don't understand this.  Can you install chokes in the suppressor?  What do you mean by "similar shotgun choke"?  Does it have a built in, permanent choke?  If it's permanent, what does it compare to: cylinder, IC, MOD, FULL, etc?

Quoted:
5. Pattern: SCO states it opens the pattern slightly compared to the a similar shotgun choke without a suppressor attached. POI is the same off or on.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:38:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I don't understand this.  Can you install chokes in the suppressor?  What do you mean by "similar shotgun choke"?  Does it have a built in, permanent choke?  If it's permanent, what does it compare to: cylinder, IC, MOD, FULL, etc?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm guessing that the choke is in the adapter.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:16:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:01:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The factory choke is replaced by SCOs choke. Each choke extends from the muzzle and has external threads which the Salvo attaches to. Initially you will be able to buy choke kits which include IC, M, F chokes.

We were shooting Federal Target loads: 1 1/8 oz | 7.5 shot
View Quote

I'm guessing this is a 3 dram load.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:05:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Will this work with one of Tromix's 8 inch Saiga's?   If not I'm sure Tony will find a way.    
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:07:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I guess I'm showing my ignorance, but is there enough material to thread into an 870 barrel and still have the strength to hold a 32oz can?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It mounts with a choke tube. A SBS barrel won't be any thinner than a regular barrel so I don't see why it couldn't be done. I'm probably getting a lathe soon, so maybe I'll try it out.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:55:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Thank you.  That is interesting info.
It seems to me that this will diminish it's appeal to hunters.  Are they making these steel compatible?  What if I want an extra full turkey choke?
I also find it interesting that they think they can just jump into the choke manufacturing world.  I wonder if they are subbing out the choke design or manufacturing to someone with some history with shotgun chokes?

Quoted:
The factory choke is replaced by SCOs choke. Each choke extends from the muzzle and has external threads which the Salvo attaches to. Initially you will be able to buy choke kits which include IC, M, F chokes.

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:14:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
It seems to me that this will diminish it's appeal to hunters.  Are they making these steel compatible?  What if I want an extra full turkey choke?
I also find it interesting that they think they can just jump into the choke manufacturing world.  I wonder if they are subbing out the choke design or manufacturing to someone with some history with shotgun chokes?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why couldn't they?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:37:17 PM EDT
[#41]
I may be showing my ignorance on chokes, but I know there are many custom/aftermarket choke manufacturers out there.  Briley, Kicks, etc.  One of Benelli's selling points is their "cryo choke".  I assume that these companies have put considerable R&D into coming up with good choke designs that produce good patterns, not just tight patterns.  If SilencerCo is starting from scratch with their chokes, it just seems they will be behind the 8-ball.  Duck and turkey hunters pay big bucks for high end chokes.  If hunters are part of their target market (as some here seem to think they are), they need to be talking about their chokes more.

Quoted:

Why couldn't they?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why couldn't they?

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:16:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Will this work with one of Tromix's 8 inch Saiga's?   If not I'm sure Tony will find a way.    
View Quote

Getting ready to send mine off to him for this exact build within the next week and wondering the same thing. I called today but didn't get a chance to talk to him. Ill probably call or email tomorrow and see what he thinks.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:32:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Four pages and no one has posted it yet? You guys are slacking!

But seriously, this thing is awesome! They are about to make alot of money and I want one!
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:43:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

But seriously, this thing is awesome! They are about to make alot of money and I want one!
View Quote

Agreed.

It would be cool if they offered a barrel threading/mounting service.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:46:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

About as original as getting Rick-rolled, but it was mentioned if not posted.  I think they should offer a subscription service.  Just send my dealer the can's, I'll buy a toaster if you just engrave "SilencerCo" on the side of it.  Heck, I own an Armalite Toaster... why not?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:05:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Agreed.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.

I think this would be great on a sbs, though as others have posted I am unsure if sbs barrels typically come with removable chokes. If not I am hoping that outside threading of the barrel would be an option as it has been mentioned with saigas. Either way I agree it would be nice if silencerco offered a complete in house mounting option.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:10:05 PM EDT
[#47]
I bought one of these frommRJF. It worked pretty good on my SBS
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:15:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I bought one of these frommRJF. It worked pretty good on my SBS
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b96/leondana/6b18ed6d.jpg
View Quote

Does this suppressor have an internal tube with holes to guide the shot but at the same time allow expanding gasses into the baffles?  Has this can been metered?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:19:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

About as original as getting Rick-rolled, but it was mentioned if not posted.  I think they should offer a subscription service.  Just send my dealer the can's, I'll buy a toaster if you just engrave "SilencerCo" on the side of it.  Heck, I own an Armalite Toaster... why not?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wasn't trying to be original, but damn do I want a silencerco toaster now.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:11:15 PM EDT
[#50]
I question the durability and longevity of attaching to internal choke threads.  That's a lot of weight and torque being applied to very shallow, thin threads.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top