Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2014 11:56:25 AM EDT
See here.

Sad and infuriating story on the suppressors.  Now I get it and it isn't quiet and "made for suppressor" ammo isn't any more quiet than .22LR.

I'd swear it's supersonic.  Don't have a chrono to check it.  I'll buy one up here today and check the stuff when it gets here.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 12:31:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Hindsight, yes, but you should have been updating http://www.nfatracker.com/.  Call the Bureau of Assholes, Twits, Fuckheads, and Extremely nice customer service agents.  Give them up to five serial numbers, and they will give you the status.  I only give them two, one from each batch of forms I have pending.  It also keeps the rest of us subjects abreast of trends.

Now, the shop that made you wait 8 months wasn't just being neglectful, they were lying to you when they said they hadn't heard anything.  Also, any class III dealer worth their salt would have checked after it blew the curve by two months... in OCTOBER!

Now on to your cans.  HTA does not have a good reputation for much of anything.  Their cans are cheap and come apart for maintenance... that's their positives.  On the negative side, they are loud, and have poor quality control.  Most have had good luck with HTA on fixing issues and if you need a bargain can, that's a good way to go.  IF you can put up with the poor performance.

Finally, lots of folks will defend the HTA products and now that you own one, you can't really just sell it.  Try running it wet... a little wire pulling gel.  Get a Chronograph to see if perhaps your load and your gun give you transonic or supersonic velocities.  Enjoy.  You've got them, they are built pretty solid, and you didn't pay a whole bunch for them.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 12:35:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.  All of that makes sense to me.

At or around round 12, it starts to quiet down.  Is getting dirty like running wet?

ETA:  Other than being heavy at the end of a 16" barrel, I'm happy with the 5.56.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 12:47:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Question:  I have no experience with that ammo.  Is it intended to be subsonic from a pistol & rifle or just pistol?   I can't remember what my 147's were going out of a pistol when I had the chrony out, but I'm thinking it was around 820-840.  Racking my brain, but it would have to be 1000 fps or so out of the rifle.  I hand loaded for a friend with a Gemtech suppressor and old Colt 9mm rifle and in exchange, I got to shoot his MG's and suppressed stuff.  IIRC, I hit the right load the first try so didn't have to play with it much.  Just know that the rifle will be much higher velocity.

If it's First Round Pop (FRP) it would be gone after a shot or two.  If it's taking 12 rounds, that might be hearing loss, not quieting going on!  

Running it wet is not the same as getting it dirty.  The can will quiet down A BIT when it gets dirty.  But some coolant in the can (if it's design allows for it) will certainly quiet things down and also changes the tone of the suppressor to something more pleasant.  People use Water, Wire Pulling Gel, Ultrasound Gel, White Lithium Grease, and probably all manner of other coolants.  Do some research and ask the Manufacturer what they suggest.  Do some toying around with it.

I don't think you can run rifle cans wet... never tried.  Subsonics like 300BLK maybe.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:36:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I bet they are going super - my guardian 9 with subs has a slight fry but after the first shot is comparable to an octane
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:08:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bet they are going super - my guardian 9 with subs has a slight fry but after the first shot is comparable to an octane
View Quote

This. My G9 is pleasant to shoot with no ear pro as long as they are subs
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:34:54 PM EDT
[#6]
That doesn't sound right. 9mm subs out of a G17 should sound pretty pleasant - even for a HTA.

The Emcon lists velocity as 905 fps which shouldn't be on the edge of going supersonic unless they were loaded incorrectly.

Question - where are you shooting? Are you shooting out in the open or under cover with a lot of hard, reflective surfaces?

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:31:25 AM EDT
[#7]
I recently tested a lot of subsonic ammo shooting one after another in a mag and emcon was by far the best out of my g19/osprey 45 combo
This test included
Winchester train & defend 147tmj
Winchester white box 147 jhp
Speer lawman 147tmj
American eagle  subsonic 124fmj
American eagle 147fmjfp
Emcon 147tmj

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:49:49 PM EDT
[#8]
IN.

I have a Guardian 9 that I am a month into the wait.

Read and heard good things about them.. don't make me nervous.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:24:01 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

IN.

I have a Guardian 9 that I am a month into the wait.

Read and heard good things about them.. don't make me nervous.
View Quote

I don't think you have anything to worry about. I, and others in this thread have a Guardian 9mm and enjoy it. Personally, I shoot mine with my Glock17 and enjoy it with 147gr loads. I've tried two different brands of 147gr and it's performed well on both. I can definitely tell the difference between shooting 115gr and 147gr out of it.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:29:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Like FAL said, dont worry about it. I have a Guardian 9 that I recently picked up, and about two months into the wait, I started getting nervous about my choice after reading some banter over their rifle cans. I also read a post on another site where a user suggested that he shot his G9 on only one outing and just put it in the safe because he was unhappy with it. Combine those instances with knowing that I had compromised on the G9 to make my budget work (I submitted three form 4s and two form 1s in less than 30 days in a panic over the pending. 41P nonsense) and I really began to get a sick feeling when I thought about my choice for a 9mm suppressor.  Some input from owners that were happy with their G9s helped, but I did not relax about it until I finally got the chance to put some 147s through it. Admittedly, I've only shot it on my 22 pistols (NOT as quiet as my Spectre) and my 9mm AR (where it will live 90% of the time), but I'm really happy with the level of suppression. As an add to that, one of the guys that I sometimes shoot IDPA with just got his and he is really happy also. Just for giggles, he ran an entire IDPA match with his G9 along side a guy shooting 9mm through an Osprey 45, and the G9 was reportedly quite a bit more quiet. I won't delude myself into thinking that my G9 is "just as good" as the Octane or Mystic that would have been my first choices, but for what I paid and for what the savings allowed my at the time fixed budget to accomplish, I am left with ZERO regrets.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:15:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Update:

For reference, here's my initial setup and ammo:

So I dropped the light and changed ammo.  Much quieter and 100% pistol function.  Neither the pistol nor the suppressor were cleaned between.  I'm up to 40 rounds through the suppressor.  It's not Hollywood quiet, but I'm happy with it.

I plan on shooting some more EMCON soon, probably this weekend.  Will update then.

It seems odd that a light could cause the function issue.  Maybe, though.  It seems odd that the suppressor was so loud, then quieted down.  I am, by no means, a suppressor expert.  This is my third and I have very limited experience with them.

Thanks for any help provided.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:34:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Update:

For reference, here's my initial setup and ammo:

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=63161

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=63159
So I dropped the light and changed ammo.  Much quieter and 100% pistol function.  Neither the pistol nor the suppressor were cleaned between.  I'm up to 40 rounds through the suppressor.  It's not Hollywood quiet, but I'm happy with it.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=63216
I plan on shooting some more EMCON soon, probably this weekend.  Will update then.
It seems odd that a light could cause the function issue.  Maybe, though.  It seems odd that the suppressor was so loud, then quieted down.  I am, by no means, a suppressor expert.  This is my third and I have very limited experience with them.

Thanks for any help provided.
View Quote

Yeah, the AE 147gr and the FreedomMunitions 147gr is what I've shot out of mine and had no issues.

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 8:47:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Good news.  I shot some EMCON today.  Suppressor uncleaned with 40 rounds through it.  Got the first round pop and nine quiet.  G17 cycled flawlessly through all rounds fired.

I also loaded some of my own.

MRP stamped cases once fired, cleaned and sized

CCI small pistol primer

3.3 gr TiteGroup

Berry's 147 gr plated RN

All nice and quiet.

ETA:  This suppressor is advertised capable of .300 Blackout subsonic.  I start trimming brass tonight.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 1:40:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Now it's just getting fun:

Link Posted: 4/28/2014 5:58:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=63375
View Quote

you need a fixed adapter for that. I finally got mine thru huntertown, and my lgs got some in too if you need them.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 7:51:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Fun indeed. I have a fixed barrel adaptor on mine for use with the AR, but I've heard a vague reference to the booster not being a problem in a fixed barrel application. I paid only 25 for mine from Bud's, but it must have been the last one they had at the time because it was OOS when I checked the next day. Oh, and I'm 150 days or so into the wait for an e-filed form 1 for a couple of lowers with this 9mm being one of them.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 11:34:19 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
you need a fixed adapter for that. I finally got mine thru huntertown, and my lgs got some in too if you need them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Check online at Bud's for the fixed adapter as they seem to get them in stock now and then. I got mine there...  
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 12:52:16 PM EDT
[#18]
What adapter are you talking about at Bud's?  Link?
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 1:06:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Here you go...

If it defaults to mobile site and doesn't work for you, just search for "Guardian 9mm fixed" and you'll get two options, 1/2-36 and 1/2-28.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 2:26:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Here you go...

If it defaults to mobile site and doesn't work for you, just search for "Guardian 9mm fixed" and you'll get two options, 1/2-36 and 1/2-28.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here you go...

Just to make sure I understand this correctly - this adapter replaces the end cap of my suppressor and stays on the rifle?

Right now I have a 1/2 - 36 to 1/2 - 28 thread adapter on it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 2:47:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Just to make sure I understand this correctly - this adapter replaces the end cap of my suppressor and stays on the rifle?

Right now I have a 1/2 - 36 to 1/2 - 28 thread adapter on it.
View Quote

I've never held a Guardian, or seen one taken apart...so this is just "general" info. I would think your manual would address this.

What usually happens is you'll unscrew whatever holds the piston/booster/Nielsen device, and replace it with the fixed mount. Nothing stays on the rifle.

The 1/2-28 mount would allow you to leave the adapter on your rifle, and share it on anything else that has 1/2-28...which is a common thread for 22LR rifles as well. You could use the fixed mount on 22 handguns as well, since it doesn't have a tilting barrel.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 3:36:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Well, first, the suppressor didn't come with a manual.  Just a box.  Was it supposed to?

Second, here's a pic of my suppressor.  I'm assuming the knurled piece is the piston/booster/Nielsen?  If so, does it hurt the suppressor to shoot it with this device on a fixed barrel?  Does performance change?

I could use two of those adapters or more, if needed.  My AR is fixed and my S&W 422 is fixed, but I have another dedicated .22LR suppressor for the S&W.  This suppressor will also live on a .300 Blackout upper from time to time.

Link Posted: 4/29/2014 3:55:23 PM EDT
[#23]
The fixed adapter replaces the booster for shooting on a fixed barrel.  You can damage the suppressor if you shoot it with the booster on a fixed barrel.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 4:20:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The fixed adapter replaces the booster for shooting on a fixed barrel.  You can damage the suppressor if you shoot it with the booster on a fixed barrel.
View Quote

Nice.  Only put ten rounds through it on the AR pistol.  Everything else is through the Glock.  Hope it's OK.

So, I'm on the Huntertown site and don't see anything that looks like a manual.

Their warning about the booster is in the warranty section.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 4:37:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Bud's listed both fixed barrel adapters for the 9mm barrel and .300 Blackout barrel in stock/shipped from manufacturer.  Just bought both.  Thanks for all the help.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 4:45:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Bud's listed both fixed barrel adapters for the 9mm barrel and .300 Blackout barrel in stock/shipped from manufacturer.  Just bought both.  Thanks for all the help.
View Quote

I assumed you'd get a manual...but I didn't see one on their site earlier when I was looking for a diagram or explanation of the fixed mount for you.

Buds has the 1/2-36 mount...which means you'll need to remove the adapter on your AR. And you won't be able to use it on anything with the 1/2-28 thread pitch. The 5/8-24 you probably bought is the standard for 300BLK (just remember subsonic only).
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 5:51:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I assumed you'd get a manual...but I didn't see one on their site earlier when I was looking for a diagram or explanation of the fixed mount for you.

Buds has the 1/2-36 mount...which means you'll need to remove the adapter on your AR. And you won't be able to use it on anything with the 1/2-28 thread pitch. The 5/8-24 you probably bought is the standard for 300BLK (just remember subsonic only).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless I missed it, I can't even find the fixed mount referenced or sold on their site.  I ordered from Bud's.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 6:03:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Unless I missed it, I can't even find the fixed mount referenced or sold on their site.  I ordered from Bud's.
View Quote

I don't see them, either. I thought I read somewhere that it's pretty difficult to purchase anything directly from them, so just go through a dealer. Bus's definitely had the best price I saw with a brief search since they're under $30. Most had them for $50-$55, if they even had them in stock.

So...did you order 5/8-24 and 1/2-36?
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 6:07:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I don't see them, either. I thought I read somewhere that it's pretty difficult to purchase anything directly from them, so just go through a dealer. Bus's definitely had the best price I saw with a brief search since they're under $30. Most had them for $50-$55, if they even had them in stock.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, both.  I have the 9mm pistol up and running and am starting to process .223 brass into .300 Blackout for that upper I built last year.  Once that's done, I'll be loading and shooting.

Thanks for all your help.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 6:09:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I have a fixed barrel adaptor on mine for use with the AR, but I've heard a vague reference to the booster not being a problem in a fixed barrel application.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I have a fixed barrel adaptor on mine for use with the AR, but I've heard a vague reference to the booster not being a problem in a fixed barrel application.

Just to clear something up...I wouldn't trust the "vague reference".

Our Warranty
Huntertown Arms warranties its silencers for life. If you are doing something that you can imagine yourself being laughed at on YouTube, think twice and then don't do it. Some examples of non-warranty claims:

•Trying to fire .223 rounds through a .22 silencer.
Shooting a boosted silencer on a fixed barrel.
•Not making sure the barrel is threaded properly and the silencer is on the host weapon all the way.
•Putting the baffles in backwards.
•Firing thousands of rounds without cleaning your silencer.
•Using unlisted calibers (Check the specific suppressor's webpage.)
•Using on a barrel that is shorter than min. specification on product page (Check the specific suppressor's webpage.)

We reserve the right to add to the list above from time to time if we hear about new stuff anyone has done.

Baffel and end cap strikes are NOT covered by warranty, as they occur due to forces outside of our control.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 6:11:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Our Warranty
Huntertown Arms warranties its silencers for life. If you are doing something that you can imagine yourself being laughed at on YouTube, think twice and then don't do it. Some examples of non-warranty claims:

•Not making sure the barrel is threaded properly and the silencer is on the host weapon all the way.
•Using on a barrel that is shorter than min. specification on product page (Check the specific suppressor's webpage.)

We reserve the right to add to the list above from time to time if we hear about new stuff anyone has done.

Baffel and end cap strikes are NOT covered by warranty, as they occur due to forces outside of our control.

If it's that important, you'd think they'd at least put a 1/2 sheet of paper in the box, explaining what not to do.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 6:13:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Yes, both.  I have the 9mm pistol up and running and am starting to process .223 brass into .300 Blackout for that upper I built last year.  Once that's done, I'll be loading and shooting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's your choice, and you've already ordered them...but the 1/2-28 would've probably been a better option...assuming you have any 22LR hosts.

With the 1/2-36, you'll be able to remove the adapter, but the fixed mount won't be able to be used on anything else you own.

Either way...glad you got it figured out before you caused any damage.

Quoted:

If it's that important, you'd think they'd at least put a 1/2 sheet of paper in the box, explaining what not to do.

Or at least one of those red stop sign tags attached to it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 6:15:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

It's your choice, and you've already ordered them...but the 1/2-28 would've probably been a better option...assuming you have any 22LR hosts.

With the 1/2-36, you'll be able to remove the adapter, but the fixed mount won't be able to be used on anything else you own.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I also have the Huntertown Kestrel .22 for my .22LR hosts.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 11:11:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Our Warranty

Well damn. I feel decidedly stupid for bringing it up and therefore regurgitating bad info. Good call Big.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 1:03:03 PM EDT
[#35]
So here it is with the fixed barrel adapter from Bud's.  It's shorter now.  I don't have a problem with that.

Link Posted: 5/1/2014 1:24:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
So here it is with the fixed barrel adapter from Bud's. It's shorter now.  I don't have a problem with that.
View Quote

This has two meanings!
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 1:29:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Well damn. I feel decidedly stupid for bringing it up and therefore regurgitating bad info. Good call Big.
View Quote

Shooting boosted cans on fixed barrels causes exponential wear on the can.  The science behind it is that the booster works whether it's on a fixed barrel or not.  On a recoil operated gun like a Glock, it pushes (boosts) the slide/barrel in one direction and the rest of the can in the other direction.  Because the barrel/slide is light, it moves.  If you put it on a rifle, the entire weight of your firearm and your shoulder prevents the rearward travel of your booster, therefore your can goes flying forward and pounds things up a bit.  

The other option is a fixed barrel spacer where you use your booster threads and disable the booster ffeature.  Not sure if your suppressor has that option.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 1:36:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Shooting boosted cans on fixed barrels causes exponential wear on the can.  The science behind it is that the booster works whether it's on a fixed barrel or not.  On a recoil operated gun like a Glock, it pushes (boosts) the slide/barrel in one direction and the rest of the can in the other direction.  Because the barrel/slide is light, it moves.  If you put it on a rifle, the entire weight of your firearm and your shoulder prevents the rearward travel of your booster, therefore your can goes flying forward and pounds things up a bit.  

The other option is a fixed barrel spacer where you use your booster threads and disable the booster ffeature.  Not sure if your suppressor has that option.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.  That helps the WTF that was going on in my brain.  

I now have a fixed barrel adapter for 9mm (1/2-36), .300 Blackout (5/8-24) and I believe I could use the end cap of my Kestrel .22, which has the same threads and fits into the end of the Guardian for any 1/2-28 application I might run across.

I took the booster apart and I don't see any real way to disable it, but again, I'm not versed on these things and I could easily overlook the feature.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 2:07:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I've never seen one in person, but when I started looking around trying to help out, it didn't appear like there was a fixed barrel spacer available like my Octane/Osprey will use.

Quoted:
So here it is with the fixed barrel adapter from Bud's.  It's shorter now.  I don't have a problem with that.

Looks good!

Made a lot more sense once the fixed mount was in your hand?

Just as info...here's what the Silencerco Fixed Barrel Spacer looks like. It replaces the spring/booster and uses the same piston. A different way to have a fixed mount on some products.  If you want to see how it would work, here's a YouTube video that explains it in a couple minutes. The FBS I linked just fits in place of the spring you'll see and prevents the motion Badger was referring to. The Guardian 9 is obviously designed differently, but the SiCo Osprey and Octane use the same pistons, and many other centerfire pistol cans operate in a similar fashion.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top