Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2014 3:46:32 AM EDT
I just recently discovered that the 300BLK existed and am intrigued after watching several videos showing "Hollywood" quiet subsonics.......So........What is the most cost effective way to get into a good "Toyota" level quality suppressed 300BLK primarily for subsonic ammo?? Integral like a Leonidas?? Thanks in advance, Bill
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 6:26:00 AM EDT
[#1]
SBR a rifle you already have, and get a 300 barrel for it.  Get a suppressor.  Stick a fork in it.

There aren't very many true 'integral' cans out there these days, mostly what you see is a muzzle can on a short barrel with a handguard over it.  It's not so much a problem of 'cheap' as it is 'long wait', because of the ATF.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 6:37:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I honestly think my 9mm Octane 9 suppressed is quieter than my 300blk. That has been with an Octane 9 and subs and a YHM TI308 with subs. My 22 AR15 with octane 9 is still the quietest.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 6:43:07 AM EDT
[#3]
The upside is it's essentially a barrel swap.  Suppressor is going to cost now matter how you look at it.  

Downside is 220g 300 blk subs are costly.  The cost effective way to get into 300blk is not really in the SBR/ suppressor, it's in reloading.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 7:34:20 PM EDT
[#4]
a video camera won't pick up the sound of a gunshot

and your pc speaker cannot play the sound of a gunshot

so what you saw on the video is meaningless relative to the actual gun

the 300 subsonic load is about the same as a 45 acp suppressed, except it burns more gunpowder

suppression reduces the sound from 165 db to 135 db, same as any other suppressed round

there's no magic to the 300, it won't sound Hollywood quiet

you can buy subsonic 308 rounds, same deal

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 4:30:15 AM EDT
[#5]
I have no first hand experience here...just what I have read so feel free to chime in -- but I thought the subsonic 308s were more for bolts and not good for semi/automatics, they use less powder to slow down the projectile = FTF.   That's where the 300 whisper wins out - velocity is reduced by using a heavier projectile rather that a significantly reduction in powder charge.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 4:39:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have no first hand experience here...just what I have read so feel free to chime in -- but I thought the subsonic 308s were more for bolts and not good for semi/automatics, they use less powder to slow down the projectile = FTF.   That's where the 300 whisper wins out - velocity is reduced by using a heavier projectile rather that a significantly reduction in powder charge.
View Quote

You are correct a subsonic 308 will not cycle a semi auto same thing with a subsonic 223 while a subsonic whisper or 300 blackout will.  I have both a 9mm and 300 which I shoot subsonic through and the 9mm is quieter.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 4:42:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Oh, and to answer the original question-- I agree, get a complete upper in 300 and pin it to your existing AR lower.  300 AAC uses the same 5.56 BCG and mags.  Just don't  get the ammo mixed up!!!!!  RedX has 300 upper assemblies for under $400.   I just got a RedX pistol upper in 556, it looks good but I haven't fired it yet so can't comment on reliability...
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 5:41:45 AM EDT
[#8]
I put a complete SOTA upper ($500) on my Spike's lower. To get into non suppressed .300blk.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 5:57:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I put a complete SOTA upper ($500) on my Spike's lower. To get into non suppressed .300blk.
<a href="http://s1252.photobucket.com/user/ztug/media/300blk/b187d8f8-1876-4083-b6f1-b3319243fa16_zps50a55eb1.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh564/ztug/300blk/b187d8f8-1876-4083-b6f1-b3319243fa16_zps50a55eb1.jpg</a>
View Quote

I have a 16" SOTA barrel as well...great barrel for the money and very accurate.  On my SBR I have an 8.5" CMMG barrel.  Waiting on a suppresor for it.   Most people I know run the AAC 7.62 SDN6.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 6:10:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I have a 16" SOTA barrel as well...great barrel for the money and very accurate.  On my SBR I have an 8.5" CMMG barrel.  Waiting on a suppresor for it.   Most people I know run the AAC 7.62 SDN6.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<a href="http://s1252.photobucket.com/user/ztug/media/300blk/b187d8f8-1876-4083-b6f1-b3319243fa16_zps50a55eb1.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh564/ztug/300blk/b187d8f8-1876-4083-b6f1-b3319243fa16_zps50a55eb1.jpg</a>

The SS SOTA barrel is a tack driver with
The Hornady Supersonic Load

Supersonic load @ 2375 fps - 16" Bbl
Loaded with the 110 gr V-MAX
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 4:59:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:13:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

the 300 subsonic load is about the same as a 45 acp suppressed, except it burns more gunpowder

suppression reduces the sound from 165 db to 135 db, same as any other suppressed round

View Quote

My Leo is under 120db, not 135.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:23:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Can you list the test details?  Meter/mic type and location?  Thanks.

Randy
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:39:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I just recently discovered that the 300BLK existed and am intrigued after watching several videos showing "Hollywood" quiet subsonics.......So........What is the most cost effective way to get into a good "Toyota" level quality suppressed 300BLK primarily for subsonic ammo?? Integral like a Leonidas?? Thanks in advance, Bill
View Quote

Cheapest?  If you already have an upper, buy a barrel.   Or you can get a single shot handi rifle for 300.  

That said,  I would recommend a complete upper, maybe more "Acura" level but my 16" and 9" AAC uppers have been flawless.

Suppressors under 700:
Liberty mystic: shoots subs and supers, good if you are into pistols as well.
AAC Cyclone: cheap,  handles 308, but heavy

Smallest: Octane 9mm: can not handle supers.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:54:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

You bring up common arguments against 300 blk but fail the mention why it is a versatile round and many AR users that reload have flocked to it.

-With 300 blk you can shoot supers and subs out of an AR with nothing more then a barrel change.
-You can shoot sub and supers out of the same setup without having to swap buffers and still have reliable cycling.
-Have a bunch of PMAGS?  Congrats, you can use them with 300 blk.
-Want to shoot subs in your backyard, and then go kill 250 pound hogs with supers in the same setup?  300 blk for the win.

Is 300 blk quieter then 45 acp? Not when 45 is shot wet.
Is 300 blk more expensive if you don't reload?  Yup.
Can 45 acp use PMAGS, be shot at 2,100+ fps and be used in an AR with nothing more then a barrel swap..... Nope!

I have both,  shoot both.... But if I had to pick one,  the 300 blk is WAY more versatile. If I want to to play "Hollywood ninja" I will grab a suppressed 22.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:01:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Randy
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Randy

Go to Youtube, search for Leonidas review.

I have confirmed the results with my own tests.

http://youtu.be/xOSLSknTIFM
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:02:05 PM EDT
[#17]
The truth is out there.

Leonidas metered.  

9 shots averaged 119.5 db. A B&K 2209 was used.

edit: definitely not a "budget" build,  but for someone chasing dbs. I personally am not a fan on integrals for the added complexity they bring.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:12:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Most cost effective I'd say is AAC Handi Rifle.....its no AR but still a great way to lazy away an afternoon!
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:04:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Be aware that if you dont buy the SBR version of the leonidas the baffles wont be removable. This is only an issue if you intend to shoot cast and/or development subsonic loads. The Leonidas is a bad mofo and I intend tl get one to go with my beer can and specwar that I use on my 300blks.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:41:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Be aware that if you dont buy the SBR version of the leonidas the baffles wont be removable. This is only an issue if you intend to shoot cast and/or development subsonic loads. The Leonidas is a bad mofo and I intend tl get one to go with my beer can and specwar that I use on my 300blks.
View Quote

Mine is the standard non-SBR version.

It's pretty easy to clean. I take the hanguard and tube off. Scrubbing the baffles is easy-peasy.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:22:28 AM EDT
[#21]
If I want the SBR version in the upper only configuration, do I just send them a copy of my stamp?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 10:04:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If I want the SBR version in the upper only configuration, do I just send them a copy of my stamp?
View Quote

Shouldn't have too. It would be like buying any other SBR upper from BCM, Rainier,  DSG etc. The upper itself will require a stamp (being that it is an obvious suppressor).
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:33:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Shouldn't have too. It would be like buying any other SBR upper from BCM, Rainier,  DSG etc. The upper itself will require a stamp (being that it is an obvious suppressor).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have one, they did not require proof of a SBR stamp in order to build my Leonidas. My baffles are removable. 2-stamp gun.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:16:46 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View Quote

Have you fired subsonic rounds through a .300 BLK with a high-quality suppressor?

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:20:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Have you fired subsonic rounds through a .300 BLK with a high-quality suppressor?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

seriously, there is no way 300BLK subs are metering up at 135db on any of the 300BLK rifles I've seen/shot suppressed... and I'm not even talking about single shot/bolt guns.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 9:08:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t1.0-9/560662_10151374173957415_669941233_n.jpg

You bring up common arguments against 300 blk but fail the mention why it is a versatile round and many AR users that reload have flocked to it.

-With 300 blk you can shoot supers and subs out of an AR with nothing more then a barrel change.
-You can shoot sub and supers out of the same setup without having to swap buffers and still have reliable cycling.
-Want to shoot subs in your backyard, and then go kill 250 pound hogs with supers in the same setup?  300 blk for the win.

Can 45 acp use PMAGS, be shot at 2,100+ fps and be used in an AR with nothing more then a barrel swap..... Nope!

I have both,  shoot both.... But if I had to pick one,  the 300 blk is WAY more versatile. If I want to to play "Hollywood ninja" I will grab a suppressed 22.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t1.0-9/560662_10151374173957415_669941233_n.jpg

I do enjoy the 300blk hate.... In that they always seem to ignore that in a far shorter time, it's become far more popular than 6.8 ever has been, and for good reasons. There are issues with 300blk, but it doesn't matter. It's not going anywhere any time soon. Pretty much the only major supporter of 6.8 left is LWRC now which is fine because it has it's place... like as the choice for a well funded private security firm who intentionally want ammo incompatibility for whatever reason.

OP: Unlike most here, I've seen people who have no business swapping barrels on guns do so.... No offense, but the question you are asking tells me you want to buy an assembled upper. I'd recommend AAC, Noveske, but you might find something well reviewed and cheaper on the 300blkforum  ...
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:16:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

seriously, there is no way 300BLK subs are metering up at 135db on any of the 300BLK rifles I've seen/shot suppressed... and I'm not even talking about single shot/bolt guns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SDN6 and Saker have both do 126
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:55:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
So........What is the most cost effective way to get into a good "Toyota" level quality suppressed 300BLK primarily for subsonic ammo??
View Quote

Win one in a raffle?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:12:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The upside is it's essentially a barrel swap.  Suppressor is going to cost now matter how you look at it.  

Downside is 220g 300 blk subs are costly.  The cost effective way to get into 300blk is not really in the SBR/ suppressor, it's in reloading.
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top