Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2014 9:58:56 PM EDT
I've narrowed it down to these two as I want .17HMR capabilities.

I love the mono-core & sleeve of the Sparrow, but really like the lighter Titanium Element 2.  Price difference between the two is $55, so that isn't a deciding factor.

Suggestions?

How do you guys like cleaning the Sparrows with the monocore vs a normal stack of baffles that have to be screwed out like the Element 2?

Both of these should be able to do "the dip" for cleaning right?  That may be a deciding factor if either one of them can't.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 10:15:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag for later

I'm debating these two myself.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 11:02:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been very happy with my element 2. It's light and very quiet on my m&p 22.
Disassembly is pretty easy with the supplied take down tool.

I would buy again!
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 2:02:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Love my Sparrow!
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 3:40:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Are you going to be shooting more pistol or rifle?

Link Posted: 3/18/2014 3:59:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Why not the Spectre 2?
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 4:58:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Not sure honestly, I hoped to have it be as versatile as possible with both. Is there an argument for one to do both better than the other?  This would definitely sway the deciding factor between these 2.

Quoted:
Why not the Spectre 2?

I don't like the way it looks compared to the other two, goofy end caps
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 5:06:11 AM EDT
[#7]
I ended up going with both.  The Element mostly for pistols and the Sparrow mostly for rifles.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 5:10:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I ended up going with both.  The Element mostly for pistols and the Sparrow mostly for rifles.
View Quote

^^^^Someone who gets it! I like the way you roll...
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 5:16:43 AM EDT
[#9]

Consensus seems to be that the Element 2 works better on pistols and the Sparrow works better on rifles. The Sparrow seems to have more prevalent FRP with pistols than with rifles.

That being said, I went with the Sparrow because I would never have to worry about the core being stuck inside the tube and because of SIlencerco's CS.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 5:17:51 AM EDT
[#10]
The Sparrow, hand down.

Now, if you had said the Spectre II, it would have been a much harder call to make. IMHO, you should look at those two, and forget about the Element.

Link Posted: 3/18/2014 5:27:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Why do you say forget about the Element?

What's FRP?  Is the Element 2 fine with rifles?  If its a better fit for both pistol & rifle that would swing the vote.

Honestly I'm drawn to the Element 2 because it meets my specs, but really because its a Ti tube

But I'm also not considering the Spectre 2 because it is a regular baffle stack and I really like the sleeve/monocore the Sparrow brings to the table, but not sure if over the titanium.

Link Posted: 3/18/2014 5:29:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Word. I would do it all over again. Element first, then Sparrow.

Quoted:
Why do you say forget about the Element?

What's FRP?  Is the Element 2 fine with rifles?  If its a better fit for both pistol & rifle that would swing the vote.

Honestly I'm drawn to the Element 2 because it meets my specs, but really because its a Ti tube

But I'm also not considering the Spectre 2 because it is a regular baffle stack and I really like the sleeve/monocore the Sparrow brings to the table, but not sure if over the titanium.

Some people really like the silencer that they bought and discard the notion that anything else could be better. Others do their homework (like you are).

FRP is First Round Pop. Essentially an issue with monocore silencers where the ambient air (oxygen/nitrogen/ carbon dioxide) is pushed out of the core with the first round fired. This first (and sometimes second) round sounds louder than subsequent rounds that fill the silencer full of inert gas as a result of the gas that is created when the gunpowder ignites.

Titanium is the toughest material that you will find in a rimfire silencer. Especially since it is the serialized portion of the silencer it will literally last forever.

The Spectre 2 is also an excellent multi cal rated silencer  My only gripe out it is that from take apart cycles the front end cap gets marred up from the removal tool.

Best of luck on the search.

Here is a video with all three of the above mentioned silencers :Link
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 5:38:52 AM EDT
[#13]
The sparrow.

Easy takedown, light,, quiet.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 5:39:12 AM EDT
[#14]
i currently own a sparrow.  If i could do it again, I would get an element 2
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 5:45:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why?
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 5:49:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The sparrow.

Easy takedown, light,, quiet.
View Quote

1 out of 3 ain't bad.

Element 2 is lighter and quieter (on a handgun).
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 5:59:45 AM EDT
[#17]
So the takeaway from all of this is that the Element 2, SS Sparrow and Spectre II are all well regarded cans with strengths and weaknesses in different categories. There is no one "best" can but you can't go wrong with picking one of the three.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 6:14:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Why?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?

The sparrow has a really bad FRP.  It is easier to clean, but for me, that doesn't outweigh the bennefit of being a little quieter.

As long as you're not trying to shoot thousands of rounds without cleaning like a jackass, you'll be just fine.

edit: I'll be buying an element 2 this year.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 6:26:45 AM EDT
[#19]
debating the Sparrow and Spectre II my self, IIRC the Spectre's baffles click together to seal against the outside tube
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 6:31:58 AM EDT
[#20]
One thing I'll add is that Mike Mers is soliciting opinions on silencertalk on how the Element 2 can be improved.

It's no guarantee that there's a new Element forthcoming but at least there are official discussions going on.

Link Posted: 3/18/2014 6:47:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
debating the Sparrow and Spectre II my self, IIRC the Spectre's baffles click together to seal against the outside tube
View Quote

Nothing seals against the outside tube. Thats the whole point of the click together baffles. They can be removed from the tube easily no matter how many rounds have been fired.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 7:02:53 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

So the takeaway from all of this is that the Element 2, SS Sparrow and Spectre II are all well regarded cans with strengths and weaknesses in different categories. There is no one "best" can but you can't go wrong with picking one of the three.

View Quote

Sums it up nicely.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 7:33:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Nothing seals against the outside tube. Thats the whole point of the click together baffles. They can be removed from the tube easily no matter how many rounds have been fired.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think he had the right idea but worded it poorly. It works nicely, though. On my Warlock, I haven't yet cleaned it after hundreds of rounds and it's still clear enough that I've unscrewed the tube from the endcap and baffle stack while trying to remove it from the gun.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 8:17:28 AM EDT
[#24]
The Spectre II is, I believe, the best on the market, but if you're not into the style, I guess you could suffer a Sparrow.  For me, the ultrasonic cleaner is the way to go for cleaning.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 10:16:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I think he had the right idea but worded it poorly. It works nicely, though. On my Warlock, I haven't yet cleaned it after hundreds of rounds and it's still clear enough that I've unscrewed the tube from the endcap and baffle stack while trying to remove it from the gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, worded very poorly, I was in a hurry to post before a meeting. Guess I should get back to work, huh?
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 12:07:58 PM EDT
[#26]
I shopped the Sparrow, Spectre and Element 2, ended up buying the Element 2.

I still don't have it yet ;)

I let the first round pop issue scare me away from the Sparrow.  Some folks say it's not that bad, but it is discernible and it would bother me knowing the issue existed.

Price was not that different between Element 2 and Sparrow, and the Element 2 has better specs on paper as well as no FRP issues.  Also the Element 2 looks nice next to my tirant.

Value wise and especially for rifles, I would get a Spectre and skip the Sparrow.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 5:20:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Love my Sparrow!
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 7:54:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I let the first round pop issue scare me away from the Sparrow.  Some folks say it's not that bad, but it is discernible and it would bother me knowing the issue existed.

Price was not that different between Element 2 and Sparrow, and the Element 2 has better specs on paper as well as no FRP issues.  Also the Element 2 looks nice next to my tirant.

Value wise and especially for rifles, I would get a Spectre and skip the Sparrow.
View Quote

Agree with all that was said. Why I went with Element II.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 8:03:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Or.............

Just go to the "swrsuppressors" channel on YouTube and watch the two videos (on rifles and on pistols) where they compare all three and decide for yourself.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 8:59:36 PM EDT
[#30]
After watch the videos & hearing the FRP I think I'm really leaning towards the Element 2.  Plus with the hand press it seems that getting the baffles out isn't as hard.  True it's not as nice as the sleeve system of the Sparrow.

How is the Element 2 on rifles?  I've watched some videos where there was barely sound at all and some were it was just noticeable.  I know some say Element 2 is preferred on pistols, but it has to perform equally as well on rifles doesn't it?

Do both of the end caps come off on the Element 2?  Someone was saying on another forum that one end doesn't & therefore you can't clean it as good as you could if both caps came off & the tube was hollow allowing an easy pass through of rags, brushes etc.

Silencershop video suggests to clean Element 2 every 500 rounds so baffles don't fuse together, every 1000 rounds if you buy the additional screw push rod tool.

How many rounds can a Sparrow go before it needs cleaning?
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 11:17:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Interesting thread.  

I was considering the Liberty Essence and AAC Element II for use with 10/22's and various pistols.  I really like the Essence monocore design along with the combination of titanium and ss. Seems the Essence would be easier to take apart, clean and reassemble than the K baffle design of the Element II.  

My decision became very easy when I came across an Element II for $349 on GunBroker this week.  I may still want to pick up an Essence since they are supposed to generate less blowback on the host which would be desirable when used on a pistol host.

Link Posted: 3/19/2014 3:58:34 AM EDT
[#32]
I pulled my reply off another thread:
As I understood it, the AAC Prodigy was better for rifles and the Element2 was better for pistols.

The Sparrow at the time was coming out with the s/s core and was reportedly way easier to clean; so I think that is what swayed me over to the Sparrow.
I picked up a Liberty Essence and I am quite happy with it; I think I like it better than the Sparrow actually.
I was watching some YouTube video with Landry's Guns and when they were shooting the Element2, you heard someone in the background say "that's the quietest one yet".
I now have an Element2 due to get out of purgatory next month. I bought it to go on a pistol though.
As far as rifle quietness, nothing compares to the integrals.

eta:  The Essence is crazy light, I don't even know it's on the pistol.  
And it sounds just as good as the Sparrow on a rifle to my ears (which might not be that great of an indicator).  
As a general statement, I think most 22 cans are going to be pretty close, soundwise.  
the most deciding factor will probably be what ammo you shoot through it.  

iirc you should use the dip for steel or s/s parts (and not the tube or end caps either) only.
and either hand clean or use a soda blasting rig for steel, s/s, aluminum, Ti internal parts.
someone can correct me if I'm wrong
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 5:44:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My dad asked me what .22 suppressor he should buy, and I told him to get a Sparrow based on all the positive comments here.  Once we got it we realised how terrible the first round pop is.  It's really bad.  We shot it with a group of people with my dad's Ruger mark 4 and everyone commented on it.  

When I decided to purchase a suppressor I went with the Element 2.  Even with high velocity .22 fired from my Ruger 22/45 it is insanely quiet, even on the first shot.   Sounds like a broken Red Ryder BB gun.  Shooting them back to back it's incredible how loud the Sparrow sounds for the first 2-3 shots.  Both cans have about the same round count (<1000).  Yes, wire pulling gel will eliminate the FRP if you want, but that is a hastle.

I haven't cleaned my Element 2 yet, but when the time comes I have a stainless steel tumbler, a soda blaster, or I can dip the baffles.  Based on this experience, I would recommend any can that uses stainless K-baffles and avoid monocores like the plague.

Link Posted: 3/19/2014 5:45:28 AM EDT
[#34]
I have had a SS Sparrow for more than a year now and I can say it has been great. It has a FRP but I cannot tell it is any worse than other .22LR cans I have been around.

The best part of the Sparrow is the break down method for cleaning. It is much easier to clean than some of the other cans.
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 5:50:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I have had a SS Sparrow for more than a year now and I can say it has been great. It has a FRP but I cannot tell it is any worse than other .22LR cans I have been around.

The best part of the Sparrow is the break down method for cleaning. It is much easier to clean than some of the other cans.
View Quote

The FRP isn't that bad on my Sparrow. I can hear it, but it doesn't bother me.
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 6:56:36 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Same
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 10:45:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Has AAC always used Cerakote on their Element 2 or did they switch coatings at some point to cerakote?  I could have sworn I read something about that some where...
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 5:37:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Has AAC always used Cerakote on their Element 2 or did they switch coatings at some point to cerakote?  I could have sworn I read something about that some where...
View Quote

Anyone have an idea?
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 11:17:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Anyone have an idea?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anyone have an idea?

bump
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 2:08:08 PM EDT
[#40]
FWIW, I bought a Spectre II this week for use on a .22wmr (and .22lr of course)
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 3:28:27 PM EDT
[#41]
I have had a Sparrow ( my first can) and have a warlock pending for light weight and pistol use, and sparrow for rifle and full auto fun.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 4:58:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

bump
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anyone have an idea?

bump

There was a transition from gunkote to ceracoat. unsure exactly when it occurred though.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 5:44:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Value wise and especially for rifles, I would get a Spectre and skip the Sparrow
View Quote

The sparrow is actually better on the rifle and has no frp (on rifle).

I have a spectre ii for pistol and sparrow ss for rifle.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:44:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Have a sparrow, just bought an element 2. Only regret is waitng so long
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 7:43:14 AM EDT
[#45]
I like my Sparrow a lot. I have not heard it side by side vs an Element, so I can't comment on which is quieter. The Sparrow is quiet enough to make me giggle though.

Cleaning it is easy. I use a Hornady ultrasonic cleaner with a 50/50 mix of Zep Purple and water. 2 cycles in the cleaner (1 hour total) and a little scrubbing and it's good to go.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 1:28:30 PM EDT
[#46]
I have only used the Sparrow and have noticed the FRP. A few drops of water stops it and really quiets it down to near hollywood level.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:54:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Love my Sparrow!
View Quote

+1 to this
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:05:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Sparrow or Spectre.

Element too hard to clean, tiny K baffles work well, but forget that nonsense. The Sparrow and Spectre II comparatively fall out of their tubes without tools, just better designs for practical use.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:12:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Was facing the same problem, and went with the sparrow. Its super easy to break down and clean.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:14:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

The sparrow has a really bad FRP.  It is easier to clean, but for me, that doesn't outweigh the bennefit of being a little quieter.

As long as you're not trying to shoot thousands of rounds without cleaning like a jackass, you'll be just fine.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?

After seeing the AAC rebate, I went ahead and bought the element2

As others have mentioned, the FRP on the sparrow isn't catastrophic, but is noticeable.  On other calibers, I could care less; FRP and decibel reduction isn't the most important factor. But for 22lr, I go for stupid quiet and don't care about the difficulty of cleaning.  Use a blast cabinet and cleaning is a moot point

(Chicks dig shooting quiet shit)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top