Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/23/2012 2:09:41 PM EDT
Any one try that oil filter suppressor thing?
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:00:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Ask in the suppressor forum, under the armory tab on top, you would gett a more detailed response there.

Eta: although it would be a good setup for ARs as they won't block the sights.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:21:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I think it speaks volumes to the quality (or lack thereof) of these oil filter silencers that no one has performed an accuracy, point of impact, noise reduction, ergonomic or any other kind of testing other than to post a YouTube video of a person running a few mags through the can to show that it did not blow up or that they are able hit a large target close to the shooter.  If waiting six months to spend $200 on a tax for an adapter and oil filter that is not user serviceable and is of unknown quality, then it fills that role very well.

If anyone has a link showing these silencers going through the same kind of testing that quality silencers are subjected to, I would really like to see it.

Ranb
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:47:58 PM EDT
[#3]
The original idea was that you buy the registered adapter and then replace the oil filter as needed.  It was quickly pointed out to the designer that the idea wouldn't fly with the ATF because the oil filter is integral to the performance of the suppressor and thus a suppressor part.  Someone not associated with the company in fact wrote a letter to the ATF to get their official position.  It turns out that if you own one of these, then you cannot own additional oil filters that could be construed as being able to be used on the adapter!

So, now you get the serialized adapter AND an oil filter that is engraved with a matching serial number.  What you're supposed to do after shooting out the oil filter, I don't know.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:21:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I presumed that you could send it back to the FFL/SOT to have the filter changed out for a nominal fee.  I am not sure if the BATFE will allow filter replacement without making a new silencer.  The FAQ is not very illuminating in this regard.  http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/national-firearms-act-silencers.html

Ranb
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 9:36:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I presumed that you could send it back to the FFL/SOT to have the filter changed out for a nominal fee. I am not sure if the BATFE will allow filter replacement without making a new silencer. The FAQ is not very illuminating in this regard. http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/national-firearms-act-silencers.html

Ranb

Since the filter is also serialized, I doubt it would ever be able to be replaced, even by the "manufacturer."
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 4:27:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/26/2012 9:48:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Lol...what a piece of crap. Guys, spend a little extra money and get a decent can...especially with the 6+ month wait times
Link Posted: 11/26/2012 10:23:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Lol...what a piece of crap. Guys, spend a little extra money and get a decent can...especially with the 6+ month wait times

This the wait +$200 stamp, I mean, might as well get it right the first time, just saying, I like to cut costs as much as the next guy, but, you'll just pay the $200 twice and have wasted whatever the cost of the filter is.
Link Posted: 11/26/2012 2:00:02 PM EDT
[#9]
It's no different than the 1-liter soda bottle adapters.  You can't legally use it as it was intended.
Link Posted: 11/28/2012 2:07:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Like others have said, the original idea was to register the adapter as the suppressor and you could change out oil filters as needed. They sell serialized adapter/filter combos as suppressors. When I see them around the gun shows, they will sell the adapters to you for $20-$30 to be used as a solvent trap when cleaning a weapon. However, something tells me that the majority of people buying them aren't using them for their intended purpose...
Link Posted: 11/28/2012 3:14:49 PM EDT
[#11]
The only thing ridiculous about the entire concept, is that you have to register a "muffler" with the government and pay them $200 of your hard earned money to protect your ears.

If you didn't have to register cans, I'd buy all my friends a .22 can to celebrate.
Link Posted: 11/28/2012 3:42:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The original idea was that you buy the registered adapter and then replace the oil filter as needed.  It was quickly pointed out to the designer that the idea wouldn't fly with the ATF because the oil filter is integral to the performance of the suppressor and thus a suppressor part.  Someone not associated with the company in fact wrote a letter to the ATF to get their official position.  It turns out that if you own one of these, then you cannot own additional oil filters that could be construed as being able to be used on the adapter!

So, now you get the serialized adapter AND an oil filter that is engraved with a matching serial number.  What you're supposed to do after shooting out the oil filter, I don't know.

ok since everyone is thinking it......  who is gonna know if you change it out?  take it off, destroy it with a torch or hammer, install a new one....  right?

you just can't have "extra" baffles laying around just like "chore boy" scrub pads were classified by the ATF as suppressor pats...  lets see someone get arrested for having those.
Link Posted: 11/28/2012 4:01:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

ok since everyone is thinking it......  who is gonna know if you change it out?  take it off, destroy it with a torch or hammer, install a new one....  right?

you just can't have "extra" baffles laying around just like "chore boy" scrub pads were classified by the ATF as suppressor pats...  lets see someone get arrested for having those.

I wasn't thinking it....

Under that premise, why not SBR all of your rifles yourself?  Or convert an AR15 to F/A?  Because it is illegal and the risk is not worth the reward.  I see where you are going with your statement and perhaps it was just worded poorly but I, personally, will not be partaking in illegal activity with the mentality that I am not likely to be found out...I will (and did), instead, spend an extra few hundred dollars and get a top of the market silencer and be 100% in the right at all times.  Damn the conscience .
Link Posted: 11/28/2012 4:48:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You would have to match the serial number that was placed on the oil filter it came with exactly or anyone who cared to look would know right away.  That's the absurdity of it all- in order to comply, these things come with an oil filter with a serial number that matches the serial number on the adapter.

Do I care if YOU change out the oil filter in violation of the ATF's interpretation of the NFA?  Heck, no.  Am I personally going to play games with the ATF just so I could cheap out on a suppressor when I can afford the real thing?  Heck, no.
Link Posted: 11/28/2012 7:07:41 PM EDT
[#15]
so they sold a bunch of the adapters with out a filter, then the ATF later on said you can't do that.  now all of them come with a filter that in numbered to the adapter?

Quoted:

I wasn't thinking it....

Under that premise, why not SBR all of your rifles yourself?  Or convert an AR15 to F/A?  Because it is illegal and the risk is not worth the reward.  I see where you are going with your statement and perhaps it was just worded poorly but I, personally, will not be partaking in illegal activity with the mentality that I am not likely to be found out...I will (and did), instead, spend an extra few hundred dollars and get a top of the market silencer and be 100% in the right at all times.  Damn the conscience .

those things are black and white illegal.  not a weird ATF ruling after the fact or when they change their mind.
Link Posted: 12/2/2012 3:42:14 AM EDT
[#16]
I was at a range where a guy was using a oil filter /silencer.
the BIG bright blue filter sort of looked stupid on the end of his barrel and it really wasnt that much quieter.
he mumbled something about running the filter wet to make it quieter......I croud was forming to see the thing so I went back to my bench
he had several filters of various sizes in his range bag
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 7:28:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Most people dont know that oil filters have cardbaord inside
and wont last long with centerfire ammo.
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 11:58:31 AM EDT
[#18]
The cardboard will also start getting into the gas system of your AR after a while.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top