Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2011 4:45:35 PM EDT
I am trying to find how many crimes that had been used  suppressors in? can anyone point me in the right direction...?
Link Posted: 7/24/2011 5:55:21 PM EDT
[#1]
The FBI keeps records on that type of thing.  Check their site and do a search.
Link Posted: 7/24/2011 6:04:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Almost anytime a suppressor is brought into court the usual crime is tax evasion. However - Unless the ATF is envolved in the prosecution this crime is not charged and some other local statute is cited.

Such as posession of a prohibited item without the affirmative defense that the item is duely registered in the NFA data base and was in the posession of its owner of record.

The amount of crimes commited by registered owners is nearly insignificant (as in virtually none).

You will find getting real numbers difficult as releasing some details could violate tax privacy laws.

But I'm sure the BATFE DC Office would be glad to dream up some fictional numbers for you.

( and no, I was not joking.)
Link Posted: 7/24/2011 6:11:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Almost anytime a suppressor is brought into court the usual crime is tax evasion. However - Unless the ATF is envolved in the prosecution this crime is not charged and some other local statute is cited.

Such as posession of a prohibited item without the affirmative defense that the item is duely registered in the NFA data base and was in the posession of its owner of record.

The amount of crimes commited by registered owners is nearly insignificant (as in virtually none).

You will find getting real numbers difficult as releasing some details could violate tax privacy laws.

But I'm sure the BATFE DC Office would be glad to dream up some fictional numbers for you.

( and no, I was not joking.)

they burn women and  kids alive..so lying seem like a prerequisite
Link Posted: 7/24/2011 6:13:56 PM EDT
[#4]
camp hill Pennsylvania corrections officer shoots lawyer on state game lands with suppressed 308 supposedly for his full auto rifle..i'm not a anti or anything just saying it does happen http://www.abc27.com/story/13606010/2010/12/02/district-attorney-urges-judge-not-to-give-peake-a-public-defender?redirected=true
Link Posted: 7/24/2011 6:20:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
camp hill Pennsylvania corrections officer shoots lawyer on state game lands with suppressed 308 supposedly for his full auto rifle..i'm not a anti or anything just saying it does happen

made it hot for you

This is a pretty good paper I found once before
Link Posted: 7/24/2011 6:52:03 PM EDT
[#6]
The ATF violates rights and commits crimes every time a suppressor is bought or sold in this country.
Link Posted: 7/24/2011 7:05:22 PM EDT
[#7]
WTF is a "perecqizite" ??
Link Posted: 7/24/2011 10:53:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
WTF is a "perecqizite" ??

i ment to type prerequisite
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 1:24:13 AM EDT
[#9]
I was watching FBI files and saw an episode about a guy who arranged an amateur "contract hit" on his ex wife, brain dead son, and his sons 24 hour a day nurse after inheriting 1.8 million and not wanting to lose it to medical bills and his ex wife.

That guy bought two books from palladin press "hit man" and "home workshop suppressors" and fabricated a crude suppressor for an AR-7 survival rifle and did everything by the book instructions of "hit man".

The FBI ended up piecing the evidence trail together with the help of the books found at the man's home, and using the books as evidence to convict him and his partner in crime of murder.  They are still in prison I believe.  Palladin Press ended up losing money to the family for some kind of civil matter pertaining to the deaths.

Of course the crime could just as easily have been committed with a knife, so really the presence of the suppressor was more incidental than incremental.

As far as NFA registered suppressors?  I've not heard of crimes committed with NFA registered suppressors.
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 1:30:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The ATF violates rights and commits crimes every time a suppressor is bought or sold in this country.

I understand fees, but feel the $200 is unreasonably high in comparison to the price of the item.... and the efficacy of the system approving the paperwork is strongly lacking.  If the approval process were electronic and immediate similar to NICS check and the fee was $75, the suppressor industry would probably sell 100,000 suppressors this year instead of 22,000.
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 1:31:06 AM EDT
[#11]
I know I have read at least on story on here about a guy getting popped for poaching and he had a homemade can. Not sure if it was actually used in the poaching, or just found at his home during the execution of the warrant.
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 1:36:57 AM EDT
[#12]
If a person was planning to use a suppressor in the commission of a crime- it would seem intelligent and obvious not to use a registered suppressor.

That is probably why the crimes committed with NFA registered suppressors are either exceedingly rare or non-existent.  

This of course to the consternation of the liberal media who would love to have more damnable statistics to spread like poison. <what they love to do.
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 3:41:53 AM EDT
[#13]
The guy who did these murders used a homemade silencer on a 22.

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2008-07-05/news/17902399_1_sherry-murders-biloxi-law-client
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 3:42:16 AM EDT
[#14]
That's the thing about suppressors.  They are so quiet no one hears the crimes.
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 4:28:21 AM EDT
[#15]

Well known case of a lawfully made and sold Gemtech silencer being used in a crime.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/1997/Apr-19-Sat-1997/news/5193043.html

Link Posted: 7/25/2011 5:56:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I understand fees, but feel the $200 is unreasonably high in comparison to the price of the item...

But that was the whole point of the tax originally- to be unreasonable so people couldn't have them.  The price was originally set based on the list-price of a Thompson SMG. I'm sure it was even more unreasonable in 1934 when applied to a $12 rifle or a $3 "muffler".

Link Posted: 7/25/2011 6:53:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Something like 40% of all known murders are unsolved. Add all the missing people never found and you've incomplete statistics.

That said, I hear gunshots in my area all the time and never call the police, people rarely do. Suppressors are a scapegoat and are great for poaching the kings animals. Probably why they are really regulated.
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 7:29:28 AM EDT
[#18]
A member here asked our local sheriff same question.  He came up with nothing.
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 7:53:36 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

camp hill Pennsylvania corrections officer shoots lawyer on state game lands with suppressed 308 supposedly for his full auto rifle..i'm not a anti or anything just saying it does happen

made it hot for you

The second article is riddled with errors.  Since when do you need a "permit" to own a silencer?  And silencers are illegal in Texas?  WTF?  Really.  "A good silencer can reduce the noice of a firearm by 20 decibels"...I think a better questin would be, how many legally owned silencers have been used in violent crimes by their registered owners?
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 9:13:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Couple weeks ago in Austin.

http://www.dailytexanonline.com/blog/update/2011/07/12/found-gun-silencer-forces-lockdown-state-building

A few from Oahu...

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/breaking/123730084.html
http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/breaking/118453824.html?mobile=true
http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/11403139/witness-in-protective-custody-takes-stand-at-deguair-murder-trial

Halfway down the link description...

http://archives.starbulletin.com/2004/02/09/news/story2.html
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 9:23:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
And silencers are illegal in Texas?  WTF?  Really.  

By Texas law all NFA regulated items are illegal; however, compliance with the NFA is a defense to prosecution.
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 11:21:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

made it hot for you

Good article.
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 3:07:15 PM EDT
[#23]
This incident was not the lawful owner using it, it was stolen by the wife years before.

Quoted:

Well known case of a lawfully made and sold Gemtech silencer being used in a crime.

Link Posted: 7/26/2011 3:42:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 4:13:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
There have certainly been crimes that have been committed with NFA firearms before, but the dates aren't adding up on the transcripts from the Rudin case between what's been published and what could have been origin date of what was reported as an integrally suppressed .22lr pistol.

"On July 21, 1996, a scuba diver discovered a .22 caliber Ruger handgun while diving near Pyramid Island at Lake Mead. The gun was wrapped in several plastic bags that were secured with rubber bands and so was well preserved. The handgun had a sound suppressor attached to it. Police subsequently learned that the gun had been registered to Ron in 1980. According to records obtained from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, Ron had reported the items missing in October 1988."

GEMTECH wasn't yet founded in 1988.

Kel

Just some minor errors in detail

Link Posted: 7/26/2011 4:57:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
There have certainly been crimes that have been committed with NFA firearms before, but the dates aren't adding up on the transcripts from the Rudin case between what's been published and what could have been origin date of what was reported as an integrally suppressed .22lr pistol.

"On July 21, 1996, a scuba diver discovered a .22 caliber Ruger handgun while diving near Pyramid Island at Lake Mead. The gun was wrapped in several plastic bags that were secured with rubber bands and so was well preserved. The handgun had a sound suppressor attached to it. Police subsequently learned that the gun had been registered to Ron in 1980. According to records obtained from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, Ron had reported the items missing in October 1988."

Kel

Just some minor errors in detail

Lol, that's funny!
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 7:41:08 PM EDT
[#27]
As part of my effort to amend WA start law to allow silencer use, I obtained crime data from each county in WA.  There was a total of ten cases with one being a murder trial.

Ranb
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 9:04:24 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

As part of my effort to amend WA start law to allow silencer use, I obtained crime data from each county in WA.  There was a total of ten cases with one being a murder trial.

Ranb

One question how many of them were legally owned?

Link Posted: 7/27/2011 5:28:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Possibly none.  Unless the person uses registration as a defense, then the record may not reflect whether or not the fiream is registered.  Registration did not matter for silencer use prior to July 22, 2011.  It does not matter for "SBS/SBR since July 1, 1994 either.

Ranb
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 4:49:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Off the top of my head that was a Texas built suppressor, before Gemtech in Idaho.

Quoted:

Kel

Link Posted: 7/27/2011 5:00:35 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm not sure where, but I read somewhere that the DC sniper used an OPS Inc. can
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 5:29:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm not sure where, but I read somewhere that the DC sniper used an OPS Inc. can

From what I remember the shooter fired from inside the trunk through a hole out the back of the crown vic, which acted in itself like a suppressor.
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 5:46:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

From what I remember the shooter fired from inside the trunk through a hole out the back of the crown vic, which acted in itself like a suppressor.

My google-Fu suggests that you are correct and I was incorrect
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 10:18:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
This incident was not the lawful owner using it, it was stolen by the wife years before.

Quoted:

It was an AWC integral Ruger 22 IIRC, I watched something on TV and you could makeout the markings.

david
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top