Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2009 12:32:33 AM EDT
I've heard of some kind of acidic chemical that dissolves lead into a liquid and can be used in sealed .22lr cans to get rid of the fouling, but only if the can is made of stainless steel.

Could you do this with a stainless 5.56 can shooting .22lr every 1000 rounds or so and not ruin the can? Will the chemical harm inconel? Will I ruin a $1000 suppressor?
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 4:00:43 AM EDT
[#1]
A 50/50 mix of hydrogen peroxide & white vinegar (paracetic acid) is what's used. And no, it won't harm Inconel.

Link Posted: 6/9/2009 6:23:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 3:21:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I appreciate the responses. The reason I asked is because I don't have a dedicated .22 upper, just the conversion kit. I'd like to practice with that conversion kit on my go-to rifle everyone once in a while and I plan on buying an AAC SPR/M4 when I come back to the states. It would be just as easy to take the suppressor off and shoot the .22.

I might email AAC and see what they think about it.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 3:38:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
A 50/50 mix of hydrogen peroxide & white vinegar (paracetic acid) is what's used. And no, it won't harm Inconel.

This creates lead acetate. Wear appropriate chemical resistant gloves, latex will NOT protect you. It is a very dangerous compound.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 4:23:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 4:52:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Mercury.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 5:43:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I appreciate the responses. The reason I asked is because I don't have a dedicated .22 upper, just the conversion kit. I'd like to practice with that conversion kit on my go-to rifle everyone once in a while and I plan on buying an AAC SPR/M4 when I come back to the states. It would be just as easy to take the suppressor off and shoot the .22.

Ah.  This could bring you other headaches.  If you are shooting a 1:9 or faster twist (as are common for current production ARs), then you may have stabilization issues.  For typical 40-grain ammo you really want a 1:16 twist.  Also, there is a slight difference in bore diameter.

I strongly recommend a dedicated .22 upper if using a silencer.

This doesn't hurt anything.  It overstabilizes the bullet, but this is only an issue if shooting light bullets at high speed that may come apart.(ie 32 grain at 4000 fps).  A 40 or 36 grain lead bullet at 12-1400 fps isn't going to hurt anything in a 1/9 twist barrel.

-dan
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 8:38:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah.  This could bring you other headaches.  If you are shooting a 1:9 or faster twist (as are common for current production ARs), then you may have stabilization issues.  For typical 40-grain ammo you really want a 1:16 twist.  Also, there is a slight difference in bore diameter.

I strongly recommend a dedicated .22 upper if using a silencer.

This doesn't hurt anything.  It overstabilizes the bullet, but this is only an issue if shooting light bullets at high speed that may come apart.(ie 32 grain at 4000 fps).  A 40 or 36 grain lead bullet at 12-1400 fps isn't going to hurt anything in a 1/9 twist barrel.

-dan

I believe Bookhound is refering to the greater chances of baffle strikes with out a dedicated upper. Even at only 1200 fps. an unstable/overstable .22 bullet could cause a lot of damage to a baffle.

Link Posted: 6/10/2009 4:09:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 5:34:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 6:10:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 6:45:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Doesn't "Ed's Red" dissolve lead deposits to some degree?

Years ago, I bought an unused paint can, and filled it with Ed's Red.  Once a year, or so, I'd take the plastics off of my Ruger Mark II, drop it in the can, seal it up, and forget about it until I was ready to shoot again.  Boy, did it always come out sparkly clean.  I don't know much about silencers, but something like that might work...

Come to think of it... I haven't shot that pistol in five years.  It's probably still down in the garage in that can.  I should go look.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 6:57:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Years ago, I bought an unused paint can, and filled it with Ed's Red.  Once a year, or so, I'd take the plastics off of my Ruger Mark II, drop it in the can, seal it up, and forget about it until I was ready to shoot again.  Boy, did it always come out sparkly clean.  I don't know much about silencers, but something like that might work...

Come to think of it... I haven't shot that pistol in five years.  It's probably still down in the garage in that can.  I should go look.

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 7:30:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just checked, and it's not in the can.  I looked in the case, and there it is, assembled, shiny, and clean.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top