Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Site Notices
6/21/2017 8:25:40 PM
Posted: 1/13/2002 3:51:10 PM EDT
Looking at a HK SL8-1 .223 ...but can't locate many reviews.

Any experience with these? And how do they compare with an AR15 like a Rock River A2 16" carbine, Colt or Bushmaster?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 4:01:23 PM EDT
Personally, I'm not too fond of these rifles. When they were first announced, I was excited in looking forward to a civilian version of the G36. When they came out, I was disappointed with the bullshit stock, the bullshit single-stack receiver, and the bullshit color.

For the money, which I've seen over $1100, you could get the equivalent rifle (features-wise) in an AR-15. PLUS, you can get high-cap mags and a decent trigger.

My suggestion: Spend the money on a post-ban AR-type rifle and you'll have enough money for improvements, or get a pre-ban AR.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 4:06:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SJSAMPLE:
Personally, I'm not too fond of these rifles. When they were first announced, I was excited in looking forward to a civilian version of the G36. When they came out, I was disappointed with the bullshit stock, the bullshit single-stack receiver, and the bullshit color.

For the money, which I've seen over $1100, you could get the equivalent rifle (features-wise) in an AR-15. PLUS, you can get high-cap mags and a decent trigger.

My suggestion: Spend the money on a post-ban AR-type rifle and you'll have enough money for improvements, or get a pre-ban AR.

I agree
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 4:17:00 PM EDT
My hand doesn't even fit the stock correctly were the thumbhole is.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 4:45:39 PM EDT
Mine fits and functions perfectly for me, and with less recoil than an AR. I haven't ever shot them side by side with my AR for groupings, but I will as soon as I get both scoped. I don't mind the 10rd mags, as this is more of a target rifle...which is for slow aimed fire, not blasting away. If you want a blasting rifle, the SL8 is not the path you should take.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 4:47:38 PM EDT
I still say you can get a better target rifle with the AR-series. Two-state trigger, match barrel, free-float tube, improved sights and optics, et al. The SL8-1 is not a target gun, just a poor G36-compromise by HK.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 4:48:36 PM EDT
brouhaha,
My comments aren't a personal attack on your choice. I'm just fighting for the "heart and mind" of HowlingMoose.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 5:43:58 PM EDT
It will be my next purchase... then, I will turn it into a m16 mag using g36 clone.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 5:49:21 PM EDT
Their is a right up in Soldier of Fortune magazine. It shot 1.67-1.90" groups with Wolf .223 @ 55gr. It has the 1/7" Barrel (at least for the rightup). and was a hair over 20" of barrel length. But it also shot everything up to 75 gr Match ammo. It looked pretty decent, but I would like a different stock as well. I would like for them to Camo the stock or something. I am still an AR fan after reading the report.

Benjamin
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 5:51:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/13/2002 5:52:10 PM EDT by warlord]
I saw a review in Soldier of Fortune magazine, I don't remember which issue. I believe it was sometime in 2001. Contact SOF at www.sofmag.com. If remember correctly I believe the author of the story was Frank James, and he says that it was okay, but other guns could be had for less money.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 5:58:40 PM EDT
Saw one, had to have it. Brought it out to shoot. Results: single stack 10rd. mag sucks. Safety location sucks, trigger sucks. Accuracy compared to ar-15's: not worth the money I spent. Verdict: SOLD IT!
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 8:40:00 AM EDT
Fired about 10 rounds through one at a show. The recoil was next to nothing, but the controls were awkward to reach, and accuracy was nothing special. I would also worry about the durability of the plastic parts.

For the money I would rather have an M-96. In fact, I do. Much better gun by any standard.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 8:57:23 AM EDT
If you want a fun HK get the USC, beter egronomics, beter looking, and in a few months you will be able to get a kit from CAV arms to get it to take grease gun mags.
Top Top