Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2001 11:43:57 AM EDT
I just bought a set of ARMS #22 medium rings.  I was going to set them on top of a Leupold Mk4 2 piece base for a 700.  When I went to do it they would not fit over the rails of the base.  The groves on the inside of the arms rings are about 1/24 of an inch wider than that of the groves of the Mk4 bases.  What should I do?  I tried them on my flat top and they worked well.  Same thing happened to me on an MWG base as well.  

Link Posted: 12/31/2001 1:40:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I had the same problem, my gunsmith had disassemble the rings and machine the crossbar on the ring to fit the base groove.  or you can machine the base groove to fit the ring, but my gunsmith decided to do the ring because in case I like to use my old GG&G rings back on the gun.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 2:09:07 PM EDT
[#2]
SMG, what did you have to give for the machine work?  I might try a dremel tool and grind some of it off.

Link Posted: 12/31/2001 2:19:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
SMG, what did you have to give for the machine work?  I might try a dremel tool and grind some of it off.

It wasn't that much, we trade some stuff, so he owe me, the work was included in it.  I suggest you machine the groove on your base, if you do the ring, you have to disassemble the entire ring to get the cross bar out.  do not dremel it, tkae the base to a machine shop, have somebody take the measurement off you base groove against your crossbar on your ring and cut the basemount groove to fit the ring.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 4:03:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I had the some problem with Leopold Weaver style bases and ARMS #22 rings for a Remington 700.

My take on the problem is weaver vs picatinny.

The ARMs mounts with the crossbar/lug don't fit on weaver bases.  

What I ended up doing was filing the grooves on the bases just a bit wider so that the ARMs mounts would fit.

Link Posted: 12/31/2001 5:30:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the tips guys.  I think I am just going to sell it and not worry with it!  BTW, what is the #22TRC and rail made for?  I bought it as a package deal.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 5:48:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thanks for the tips guys.  I think I am just going to sell it and not worry with it!  BTW, what is the #22TRC and rail made for?  I bought it as a package deal.

MK - interested in the rings if your selling.
e-mail on the way...
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 5:50:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Get yourself a set of Leupold Rings, and life will be good for you again.  You can spend the big money for the MK4s or just get their standard weaver rings.

My guess is that the #22TRC is to give you the ability to attach the add on night vision to your standard optic.  I'm looking for an image to link to:
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 6:26:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Here is what I am going to do with my dilema.  I am going to dump the Leupold Mk4 base and get an alternative for the ARMS rings.  Any suggestions for a base that will work with the arms #22 rings?  I don't want to have to jerry rig the system for it to work!  Is there anyone that uses ARMS #22 rings on a remington 700 base?  
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 7:34:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't understand why you want #22s on a bolt rifle. I have a few pairs, they are good rings if you NEED detachable rings but they can not hold a candle to a good pair of tactical rings. Keep the Mark4 bases and get Mark4 rings.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 9:45:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Frank, the leupold rings that I have looked at aren't worth the $140 they are asking. What about IOR rings?
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 10:36:21 PM EDT
[#11]
The Leupold Mk4 rings are super duper strong but shouldn't be $140, around $120 or so.

The IOR rings look good, I've seen a few sets.

Leupolds standard quick release weaver rings are good, I haven't had any trouble with them but I don't go humping my rifle through the woods and doing 500yd low crawl stalks with it either.  They go for about $45-$50 a set.

If you want to use the #22 rings on a base look into GGG, Badger, or Lightforce.  Just double check with them to make sure the #22 rings will work on them.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 4:50:15 AM EDT
[#12]
I have IORs on my 50BMG and so far they have held up great. I actually traded an extra pair of #22 for then and the guy told me that they were Mark4s, I won't mention any names because it may have been an honest mistake. Just make sure you use METRIC tools when you install them.
Bite the bullet and get the Mark4s. You are talking and extra $30 on a $1000+ rifle system. This is what you get when you buy mark4 rings.
1]Leupold warrenty
2]SAE fasteners
3]bragging rights
4]most important, you illiminate a weak link in your rifle system.
That is what you need to do to get little tiny groups. Ill bet that your groups will be tighter with the Mark4 rings when compaired to the #22s. Dont get me wrong, you can get good groups with the #22s but they need to be installed properly. I learned this from trial and error.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 1:13:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top