Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2001 11:59:52 AM EDT
I am farely new to this site.  I have browsed through it in the past, but just now joined it.  I do not own an ar, but that is because I am not old enough(13yrs).  I'm trying to talk my mom into letting me buy an Ar-15.  Of course it wouldn't be mine until I turned 18.  Any suggestions.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 12:05:43 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I am farely new to this site.  I have browsed through it in the past, but just now joined it.  I do not own an ar, but that is because I am not old enough(13yrs).  I'm trying to talk my mom into letting me buy an Ar-15.  Of course it wouldn't be mine until I turned 18.  Any suggestions.

How does your Mom feel about firearms?

Link Posted: 12/30/2001 12:10:54 PM EDT
[#2]
If your mom is a shooter (which sounds doubtful), it depends on if your old man (or any responsible adult) is around to show you the basics. I know that I, for one, would be cautious about getting an AR (or anything much more than a .22) for someone your age unless there was an knowledgeable adult (firearm-wise) around the house. I am not doubting your responsibility, but if your friends know that you have one, it would be quite a liability to keep it in the house.

But, if you have an adult to show ya how to do things, I'm all for it, man!
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 12:13:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh yes, seeing that you are in VA, I'm sure there are other AR-15 members around your area, it may be worth it to chat with them.

Another vote for Bushmaster, btw.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 12:14:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Keep working on your mom, I'm 15 and went through the same thing.  My parents finally let me put money down on an AR-15.  I got the DPMS standard A2.  After compairing that to a used Bushmaster in the store, I went for the DPMS.  I have a number of other rifles, but I want to get into highpower shooting, so I bought a basic AR and will upgrade it with National Match components as necessary.
Good Luck!
-Marksman
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 1:14:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Gunshooter:
Go over to the competitions forum and look at the links for the state associations.  Contact your local one about their junior program.  Not only will these people teach you to shoot an AR, they will also be able to help reassure your mom.

HTH....SRM
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 2:03:37 PM EDT
[#6]
You may also try taking the "sport" tactic with your mom. Look into getting involved with NRA or DCM "JR" competitions and meeting folks. This could land you a rifle for a reasonable price, teaches you firearm safety and handling, and introduces you to what could be a life long and rewarding sport. Good Luck....and I vote for Bushmaster too!
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 3:54:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 4:01:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Welcome aboard junior........
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 4:10:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Welcome aboard! Go with the youth programs, you'll learn safety issues, can use their firearms and try out different types to find the one you like. You can also try getting on your high school rifle team (if they have one).

If all you can get is an air rifle or a .22 so be it, both are great practice for improving your shooting; also a lot less expensive.

Good luck in finding what you want.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 6:20:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Welcome. Glad to see the next generation becoming involved with firearms legally. As long as firearms are treated in a safe manner, you can derive a lot of enjoyment from them. Take the time to learn firearms safety and pay attention to what you are taught. Good luck!
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 6:55:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Another plug for a Bushmaster, young Jedi.  Go w/ SRM's advice & try to find a local shooting association, & welcome to a very fine weapon system - you could hardly do better!
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 9:52:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I have shot an ar-15 before.  I have also cleaned them.  My mom's bf takes me shooting, and lets me shoot his gun.  My mom doesn't have a problem with firearms, she even owns a pistol.  I have also shot glocks, and cleaned them.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 9:58:03 PM EDT
[#13]
One more vote on the bushy.  I also agree that you should get some kind of formal training.  I thought I knew it all, then I took a NRA course.  Dad can teach allot but cant get it all :)  Anyway, good luck and safe shooting.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 10:05:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Welcome aboard sailor!
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 10:07:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Gunshooter, welcome to the ranks. Do what I did when I was your age.....ask for a MOTORCYCLE!!(beer)
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 5:47:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Is this who I think it is? Finally decided to start posting? Well welcome aboard.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 8:22:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Gunshooter,
by coming here and asking advice from this sorry group indicates that you're "planning."

Now you might find some nice pictures of - say a Quad .50 - tack the pic up in your room and begin to explain to "Mom" why you should be the only guy on the block with a Quad.

After Mom recovers from hysteria and you show her a pic of the paltry AR-15 that you'll settle for she might go for two !!

Keep planning, keep shooting (and cleaning what you shoot).
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 8:36:07 AM EDT
[#18]
gunshooter,

Welcome to the addiction. Such a young age to become an addict. This is good for all in the shooting sports.

I have to say without any reservation - go for the Bushmaster!!!! I have owned several different AR's from various manufactures including Armalite and Colt. But wihtout any doubt Bushmaster has it in the bag. I have owned three Bushmasters to date. Though times have been tough and all, I will never be without at least "1" Bushmaster - PERIOD!!!!

Again, welcome to the addiction.........

DK
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 11:08:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Welcome aboard young grasshopper. I recommend you find your state rifle and pistol association and join their youth shooter program. My daughter is 13 and she outshoots boys her age.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 2:10:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Welcome . Pull up a chair and sit . Some of these old timers know a little something.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top