Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Posted: 11/14/2001 1:18:27 PM EDT
I apologize if this is a stupid Q,

I own 9 firearms now, (4hg, 5 rifles) all purchased from gun stores. How much different is it to buy from someone privately? I'm after an ar-15 lower to try building.

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 1:33:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/14/2001 1:26:42 PM EDT by GWIGG]
I've done it twice. It takes longer to do the transaction obviously. Will have to be sent by Fed Ex to a FFL. Then you pick it up from them. I've never been screwed but it happens.
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 3:52:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/14/2001 3:46:31 PM EDT by kikomax]
Depends on your state laws. In Texas, I can buy from a private seller without having an FFL tranfer, so no paperwork. Cash = gun. For many, it is the only way to go.

You can even ship the gun within the state.

Check out www.the56.com for private gun sales on line.
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 4:31:01 PM EDT
Fed Ex?

Try USPS for three bucks.

FFL is only needed if the transaction crosses state lines and then only the receiver needs to be a FFL.

If you have to use a FFL get a price UP FRONT for "use of FFL." Buddy of mine does it for nothing, but there are a couple of local shops which charge $10 and $15 each. 5 minutes work on their end.

Beware there are plenty of idiot FFLs out there, some of whom think the firearm has to be send from a FFL to them. Ain't so.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 4:33:12 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 6:18:08 PM EDT
I'm in pretty good with my gunshop pals, but they still insist on charging $50 to receive a firearm. Probably why the guy behind the counter is able to buy two or three new guns a week.....
Those bastards
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 6:40:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By RobertInMaine:
I'm in pretty good with my gunshop pals, but they still insist on charging $50 to receive a firearm. Probably why the guy behind the counter is able to buy two or three new guns a week.....
Those bastards

Doesn't sound like you're in too good to me. $20 is pretty much going rate for transfer fees. Check Shotgun news web site - they have a list of dealers (searchable by state) that includes fees.

Jay
Top Top