Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Site Notices
3/20/2017 5:03:23 PM
Posted: 11/5/2001 12:34:43 AM EDT
I just purchased a Brownell's Colt front push-pin to replace my front pivot pin for my HBAR.

The new push-pin is a few milimeters longer and hence allows the pin a corresponding amount of side-to-side slack. The pin can move a few milimeters between the ball-bearing detent-thingy and the head of the pin (one side of the head has been cut off to fit in one position in the receiver). This kind of sucks.

Is there a better pin or a neat trick to fix the one I just blew $13 on?
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 3:22:49 PM EDT
Please, doesn't anyone have a tip?
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 4:28:16 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 5:15:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/9/2001 6:24:20 AM EDT by Derek45]
I got mine from Brownells and it fits my Old COLT SP-1 AR15 great.

Link Posted: 11/8/2001 5:28:41 PM EDT
I got a push pin for my small pin Colt from Bushmaster and it fits perfect doesn't sound to me like it's a Colt problem Troy.
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 1:41:53 AM EDT
Well hell's bells! I am going to have to do two things!

1) contact Brownell's

2) order a Bushmaster made Colt pin!!!

What Colt model did you guys put your pin on?
Thanks
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 5:26:44 PM EDT
Put mine in a model 6001 SP1.
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 1:51:06 AM EDT
Thanks for the pics and info.

From your picture, I can tell we have significantly different receivers and push-pins. Mine has a cut on the head.

I will check out the Bushmaster, and call them for dimensions too!
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 4:00:26 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Avatar:
I just purchased a Brownell's Colt front push-pin to replace my front pivot pin for my HBAR.

The new push-pin is a few milimeters longer and hence allows the pin a corresponding amount of side-to-side slack. The pin can move a few milimeters between the ball-bearing detent-thingy and the head of the pin (one side of the head has been cut off to fit in one position in the receiver). This kind of sucks.

Is there a better pin or a neat trick to fix the one I just blew $13 on?

Like Troy said, the pin is a universal fit item. The slight side to side slop will do nothing to affect the rifle's performance. If you want a rock solid tight fit, put the Colt pin back in.

Link Posted: 11/10/2001 4:06:56 AM EDT
Use your pin.
A few mms of slop affects nothing.
cpermd
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 1:34:46 AM EDT
Well, I solved my problem.

I got an accu-wedge, which required quite a bit of custom cutting and filing to fit properly. It is so friggin tight now. ZERO slop. The only slop is in the hadguard, which will soon be replaced by a free-floater. The push pin transverse slop is no longer a factor.

Thanks for your help, everyone.
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 10:29:12 AM EDT
If the slop is under the head of the pin, how about filing a small washer to fit under the pin head? You've solved the problem to your satisfaction, but I know how we anal types are. :)
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 1:26:23 AM EDT
RichWV,

I thought about that, but the problem is that the pin's head is cut flat on one side. This was done so that the pin could sit as close as possible to the reinforcement in the mag well. A washer can't fit. Even a special type of custom cut washer wont fit, as there is just about zero room!!! Maybe I can cut one, but it just won't be secure enough for my taste. The pin can't move now, as the accu-wedge has that sucker closed TIGHT!!! So, I am going to consider this case closed. Thanks for your suggestion, though.
Top Top