Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2001 10:26:09 AM EDT
I received a catalogue from Federal Arms Corp.
They have a rifle kit and receiver you can buy
to make a G3/HK91 .308. Has anyone put one of
these together? If so,how did work out?
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 11:41:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I bought a G3 with a Federal receiver that was already assembled. I asked my gunsmith about the kits & he said unless one was really knowledgeable about firearms, they stood a real good chance of screwing the thing up.

Apparently the big thing is head spacing the barrel. Too much or too little & it causes all sorts of problems.

So I bought one ready-to-go & loaded up & have been having fun with it ever since.

My .o2
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 6:02:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I have built a HK91. It is something that does take some welding and machining knowledge. The headspacing is a very critical thing in a HK weapon. As most weapons in time the head spacing will get larger in a HK it will get tighter. So I undetrstand,correct me if I am wrong. The barrel is pressed in the reciever trunion. Then the headspace is checked,when correct headspace is set it is drilled and pinned in place. Very tedious process. If you don't have access to the right equipment I would not even consider taking on this project. Also the new FAC barrels are junk!!!! I found this out the hard way. Put gun together,had it parked, Go to shoot it, BANG!!, shell does not extract! It has swelled in the fluted chamber and will not come out. Had to remove barrel, which is a bitch! Then get a real HK barrel, press it in and test fire,BANG, BANG works awesome. But if you do not have the time,tools or knowledge just go buy on assembled. Hope I helped
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 10:22:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the input. I'm going to pass on this
project. I don't have the tools or the knowledge.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top