User Panel

Site Notices
New PWS UXR rifle thread (Page 2 of 3)
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 11:08:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zeebz] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tranzformer:

It could be semantics at this point, but I don't agree that it is a long stroke piston. When we talk about a long stroke I think of a Robinson Arms XCR, AK series or even PWS piston AR setup. Where the op rod is integrated or part of the BCG.

XCR:
https://i.ibb.co/zRbW12c/P1010476-jpg.webp

AK series:
https://i.ibb.co/0cgzHCs/545-Carrier-1-46655-1635782188-1280-1280-79365-1635790577-1280-1280-75522.jpg

PWS piston AR15:
https://i.ibb.co/pnkXhFV/Mid-Length-2-79723.jpg

Now when we talk about a short stroke, I think of a tappet system where you have a much shortened op-rod that is not integrated into the BCG. But instead it impacts the BCG during the cycling of the gun. I think of stuff like the FN SCAR, HK416, T91, Sig MCX, AR18...etc.

FN SCAR:
https://i.ibb.co/GQ7xgZL/38-101005.jpg

HK416/MR556:
https://i.ibb.co/2SYcjnf/DSCN2458.jpg

AR18:
https://i.ibb.co/mFbBbpJ/AR-18a.jpg

T91:
https://i.ibb.co/7NLb2P4/wolf-a1-upper-image-product-3.jpg

These pictures below of the UXR op rod and BCG, look more similar to a short stroke piston design with an elongated oprod. You can clearly see the op rod is not integrated into the UXR BCG.

https://i.ibb.co/P49JBs0/Screenshot-2024-01-21-at-6-49-47-PM.png

https://i.ibb.co/pyTYXgs/Screenshot-2024-01-21-at-6-50-44-PM.png

Again, it might be semantics but I would say this design has more in similarity to a short stroke system than a long stroke.
View Quote

I'll take the word of the manufacturer of the actual gun over a random person on the internet.  No disrespect intended, so please do not see it that way.  Just in this case the manufacturer said it's a modified long stroke piston, so I'm taking their word for it since they designed and built the gun.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 11:11:22 PM EDT
[#2]
IMO this is a short stroke piston. I think PWS was just using a marketing term to capitalize on their reputation of building reliable long stroke piston guns.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 11:18:56 PM EDT
[#3]
https://i.ibb.co/ZSXRJ8T/IMG-0099.jpg

Looks pretty good in 7.62x39 setup with AK mags.
View Quote

I’m interested in the 7.62x39, but only if 10” or less and it’d be awesome if you could choose between AK or STANAG pattern. That’s a gun I’ve been waiting for but my buddy’s .300 BO MCX SBR is garbage. This could possibly be an adequate substitute.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 11:22:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By SlimBlundt:

I’m interested in the 7.62x39, but only if 10” or less and it’d be awesome if you could choose between AK or STANAG pattern. That’s a gun I’ve been waiting for but my buddy’s .300 BO MCX SBR is garbage. This could possibly be an adequate substitute.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
https://i.ibb.co/ZSXRJ8T/IMG-0099.jpg

Looks pretty good in 7.62x39 setup with AK mags.

What's garbage about his MCX? My Rattler has been great and hasn't experienced any issues.

I can see both arguments for and against the long stroke statement. The designer mentioned it doesn't tap but rather pushes the carrier and travels with it for a period of time, before it goes the rest of the way.

Link Posted: 1/21/2024 11:23:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SlimBlundt] [#5]
Son of a bitch, it’s a TAPERED muzzle. That means you’re going to need an adapter for any muzzle device other than the factory option. That’s the same shit they did with the MCX. FUCK THAT.

Attachment Attached File

With all of the modularity and compatibility improvements, WHY THE FUCK WOULD THEY HINDER STANDARD MUZZLE DEVICES? You fucked up, PWS. Please fix it.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/21/2024 11:30:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Unless they include a simple tapered spacer to utilize regular muzzle devices, I’m out. I don’t need this gun but I want one. I’ll wait for a simple $10 fix. Fuckin stupid.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 11:33:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Tapered is much better if you are running a direct thread suppressor.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 11:50:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Another question for PWS: does the lower need to be milled down to accept KNS or JP trigger pins like the MCX? Asking for me. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 11:53:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SlimBlundt] [#9]
View Quote

And if you’re not using a DT suppressor - like most of us?

And what if your DT suppressor doesn’t have an internal taper that’s the same dimensions as the PWS taper? (Mine don’t, so none of my suppressors will work with this rifle.)
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 11:59:23 PM EDT
[#10]

And what if your DT suppressor doesn’t have an internal taper that’s the same dimensions as the PWS taper? (Mine don’t, so none of my suppressors will work with this rifle.)
View All Quotes

Then you spend the $10-12 and get the shoulder taper adapter. You are making a mountain out of a molehill. It’s not that big of a deal.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 12:39:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Zerlak] [#11]
View All Quotes

Technically, it's superior for QD silencers as well. The taper helps secure the muzzle device and helps with alignment.

Then you spend the $10-12 and get the shoulder taper adapter. You are making a mountain out of a molehill. It’s not that big of a deal.

This. Isn't hard to secure an adapter.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 8:20:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Or - and please interject if I’m wrong - PWS could just give the barrel proper threads to begin with.

I’m concerned we’re getting Sig’d.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 10:06:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Another question for PWS: does the lower need to be milled down to accept KNS or JP trigger pins like the MCX? Asking for me. Thanks.
View Quote

No it has a trigger cassette like the ACR ... your AR triggers will just fit into it and you reseure their trigger pins for the casette ... easy peasy
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 10:13:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Looking at the breakdown video ... regarding the piston system ... it def takes design cues from a long-stroke system but it is a separate unit at the BCG thus really it is a short stroke ... I would say the more appropriate designation would be a long-travel piston system based on how they explained it ... but who cares ... its a piston gun ...
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 10:14:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: thehun06] [#15]
Or - and please interject if I’m wrong - PWS could just give the barrel proper threads to begin with.

View Quote

Actually you are getting Q'd not Sig'd ... tapered barrels are the trend and the answer for 100% alignment ... it isn't going away ... I don't have an issue with this move ... actually as a suppressor user ... I prefer it ...
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 10:17:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By thehun06:

Actually you are getting Q'd not Sig'd ... tapered barrels are the trend and the answer for 100% alignment ... it isn't going away ... I don't have an issue with this move ... actually as a suppressor user ... I prefer it ...
View All Quotes

A valid observation.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 12:25:55 PM EDT
[#17]
I think it’s hilarious that while you guys are arguing about a taper on the quick change barrel…

I’m about the only person I’ve seen realize everything is here for a bullpup conversion.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 1:34:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By new21022:
I think it’s hilarious that while you guys are arguing about a taper on the quick change barrel…

I’m about the only person I’ve seen realize everything is here for a bullpup conversion.
View Quote

Except left hand ejection ..
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 2:49:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By shenendoah_rifleman: IMO this is a short stroke piston.
View Quote

I notice it looks remarkably similar to a "legacy" Adams Arms piston system in terms of op rod cup length, spigot length, and seemingly every other way to include length of travel. Perhaps the legacy AA is a 'longer short stroke' as well.

I say 'legacy' as AA has more recently added vents in the op rod cup to limit travel to a short distance before it dumps excess gas and would most certainly be described as 'short stroke'.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 3:22:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By CJofFL:

I notice it looks remarkably similar to a "legacy" Adams Arms piston system in terms of op rod cup length, spigot length, and seemingly every other way to include length of travel. Perhaps the legacy AA is a 'longer short stroke' as well.

I say 'legacy' as AA has more recently added vents in the op rod cup to limit travel to a short distance before it dumps excess gas and would most certainly be described as 'short stroke'.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By shenendoah_rifleman: IMO this is a short stroke piston.

Yeah it resembles the AA and LWRC piston systems ... as well as the POF ...
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 3:33:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Yeah it’s a bit of a hybrid system. But it is more closely related to a short stroke design but with a long travel. Not really a long stroke design as oprod is not incorporated into or part of the bcg. The oprod of the UXR is separate and makes contact with the bcg to initiate cycling of the gun. While a long stroke the oprod/piston head is acted upon by gases to initiate cycling of the gun.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 11:18:00 PM EDT
[#22]

Yeah. That’s not a long stroke system … not even close … it is much closer to LWRC’s design actually.

That said I don’t really care …
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 12:05:22 AM EDT
[#23]
https://i.imgur.com/uQwlEzE.jpeg

Yeah. That’s not a long stroke system … not even close … it is much closer to LWRC’s design actually.

That said I don’t really care …
View Quote

Agreed, it’s not a long stroke system. Definitely has resemblance to the LWRC design. But like you said, it doesn’t matter as long as it works well. The idea behind their design makes sense.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 12:43:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Zeebz] [#24]
PWS themselves said it's a modified long stroke piston.  I'm still wondering why so many people on an internet gun forum are so bent out of shape trying to say the actual manufacturer and engineers who developed the gun don't know what kind of gas system is in their own gun.  PWS said it's a modified long stroke piston.  They developed and designed the rifle.  Pretty sure they know better than a bunch of random people on a forum.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 12:56:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Zeebz:
PWS themselves said it's a modified long stroke piston.  I'm still wondering why so many people on an internet gun forum are so bent out of shape trying to say the actual manufacturer and engineers who developed the gun don't know what kind of gas system is in their own gun.  PWS said it's a modified long stroke piston.  They developed and designed the rifle.  Pretty sure they know better than a bunch of random people on a forum.
View Quote

People are clinging to the definition for long stroke piston being the piston/rod is attached to the carrier.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 3:13:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Master_Blaster] [#26]
Originally Posted By shenendoah_rifleman:
IMO this is a short stroke piston. I think PWS was just using a marketing term to capitalize on their reputation of building reliable long stroke piston guns.
View Quote

The "extended impact tappet" concept is similar to the ARX, & perhaps inspired by it. The really interesting feature is the barrel expansion chamber to reduce blowback.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 10:02:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By thehun06: … it is much closer to LWRC’s design actually.
View All Quotes

Actually, the LWRC has vents in the cup that limit the travel to be very "short".

Originally Posted By Zerlak: People are clinging to the definition for long stroke piston being the piston/rod is attached to the carrier.

Agreed, but I for one am questioning the line between short and long. As well as pointing out similarities to other systems called 'short stroke' with seemingly similarly long travel or at least longer travel than other 'short strokes'.

Originally Posted By Master_Blaster: The really interesting feature is the barrel expansion chamber to reduce blowback.

I agree, neat, curious as to how effective.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 12:31:34 PM EDT
[#28]

Actually, the LWRC has vents in the cup that limit the travel to be very "short".

Agreed, but I for one am questioning the line between short and long. As well as pointing out similarities to other systems called 'short stroke' with seemingly similarly long travel or at least longer travel than other 'short strokes'.

View All Quotes

Originally Posted By Zerlak: People are clinging to the definition for long stroke piston being the piston/rod is attached to the carrier.

Originally Posted By Master_Blaster: The really interesting feature is the barrel expansion chamber to reduce blowback.

Not only is LWRCs stroke short, it has a return spring to pull the piston back in place. The op-rod also clearly taps/impacts on the top of the carrier.

The PWS looks to more have the rod rest against he carrier and gradually pushes it back during it's stroke. I don't know of another short stroke piston setup with as long of a stroke as the PWS.

Obviously just speculation, until these things are in the hands of owners.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 4:24:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Zerlak:

Not only is LWRCs stroke short, it has a return spring to pull the piston back in place. The op-rod also clearly taps/impacts on the top of the carrier.

The PWS looks to more have the rod rest against he carrier and gradually pushes it back during it's stroke. I don't know of another short stroke piston setup with as long of a stroke as the PWS.

Obviously just speculation, until these things are in the hands of owners.
View Quote

ARX tappet travels 1.5 inches.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 4:30:59 PM EDT
[#30]
I haven't found a good picture of the trigger system, but is there any chance a Registered Lightning Link would work in this rifle?
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 4:52:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tranzformer] [#31]
Originally Posted By v188:
I haven't found a good picture of the trigger system, but is there any chance a Registered Lightning Link would work in this rifle?
View Quote

Here is the trigger housing pack/assembly:

Link Posted: 1/23/2024 4:57:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Some new videos from Shot Show.  Rifles should be available middle of February according to Cory @PWS.

PWS UXR Modular AF! | SHOT Show 2024

Primary Weapon Systems UXR | Industry Day At The Range 2024

First look and breakdown of the PWS UXR Elite at Shot Show Industry Media Day 2024
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 6:07:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Since the charging handle is non-reciprocating, I wonder if there is a way to force the bcg home if it fails to feed, similar to the G36? Slick side guns w/o a forward assist are high speed and cool until stuff starts getting dirty.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 6:26:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By GBRUZK:
Since the charging handle is non-reciprocating, I wonder if there is a way to force the bcg home if it fails to feed, similar to the G36? Slick side guns w/o a forward assist are high speed and cool until stuff starts getting dirty.
View Quote

Watch the interview video. He goes into detail on how you can use the charging handle as a forward assist.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 8:24:49 PM EDT
[#35]

Except left hand ejection ..
View Quote

I didn’t say it had to be ambi!

But, you’re right. It would be lacking that feature that 5 people would use.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 8:29:10 PM EDT
[#36]
It's what the ACR was supposed to be. I'm definitely getting one.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 9:10:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By _LandCruiser_:
It's what the ACR was supposed to be. I'm definitely getting one.
View Quote

Yup ... me too ...
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 2:10:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: UMP45_Enthusiast] [#38]

Yup ... me too ...
View Quote

Same, though I wonder how long till we see the FDE ones.

This gun looks like a G36 crossed with its newer HK433 brother. The trigger and mag well separate like the G36 and the handguard design with the monolithic top rail is exactly like the HK433 with an overall look like the HK433.
My only gripe is the non-chrome lined barrel. I understand the reason they chose the barrel they did, for accuracy, but this gun doesn't scream 'marksman' but more 'Battle Rifle'

Edit: Mike at fortress tactical has them already up for pre-order, not many in first batch. I snagged a 14.5"
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 10:31:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By UMP45_Enthusiast:

This gun looks like a G36 crossed with its newer HK433 brother. The trigger and mag well separate like the G36 and the handguard design with the monolithic top rail is exactly like the HK433 with an overall look like the HK433.
My only gripe is the non-chrome lined barrel. I understand the reason they chose the barrel they did, for accuracy, but this gun doesn't scream 'marksman' but more 'Battle Rifle'

Edit: Mike at fortress tactical has them already up for pre-order, not many in first batch. I snagged a 14.5"
View All Quotes

Yup ... me too ...

Quality made barrel like what PWS does … I wouldn’t worry about it being chrome lined or not. They produce one of the best button rifled nitrided barrels in the industry.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 2:32:17 PM EDT
[#40]

Quality made barrel like what PWS does … I wouldn’t worry about it being chrome lined or not. They produce one of the best button rifled nitrided barrels in the industry.
View Quote

So I have heard. Looking at the prices for the kits it also looks like I wouldn't be gouged for a replacement barrel if I ever needed one (Cough FN).
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 12:56:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: UMP45_Enthusiast] [#41]
https://soldiersystems.net/2024/02/27/pws-to-attend-enforce-tac-2024/

This is unexpected, the PWS UXR was invited to be part of EnforceTac in Germany, someone sees a lot of potential in this gun. I wonder how it will do compared to the HK433, a gun I feel the UXR took a lot of ideas from.

Also for the love of God H&K, move to America and give up rifles like the HK433...
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 3:00:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Anyone seen one in stock yet?
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 3:03:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By fivepointoh:
Anyone seen one in stock yet?
View Quote

Some places had them for pre-order but I don't think they are in hand yet. A couple posts I saw last week was stating "3 weeks" till first ship, so mid March maybe?
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 11:44:06 AM EDT
[#44]
I thought they said in the shot videos the end of Feb, now it's mid March... PWS is a great company so I'm sure it will be fine I just get suspicious when there are delays.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 11:46:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By ferchmn:
I thought they said in the shot videos the end of Feb, now it's mid March... PWS is a great company so I'm sure it will be fine I just get suspicious when there are delays.
View Quote

TFBTV claimed it was a an unreliable POS at shot and still needed more engineering work done. Delays might be them working out the bugs.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 3:39:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By ferchmn:
View Quote

Mid March? Huh? Yesterday was March 1st. Lol
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 8:19:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: UMP45_Enthusiast] [#47]

TFBTV claimed it was a an unreliable POS at shot and still needed more engineering work done. Delays might be them working out the bugs.
View Quote

Do you have a link to this? I cannot find where TFBTV has made any videos/articles related to the UXR.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 1:14:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Zerlak] [#48]

Do you have a link to this? I cannot find where TFBTV has made any videos/articles related to the UXR.
View All Quotes

Was a post on their top 5 rifles of shotshow. Individual asked why the PWS wasn't on the top 5 and they replied with that info.

Eta: Look for the post on the (why I hated) the top 5 rifles 2024 that has time stamps of each rifle. James makes a comment that the prototype they've had their hands on was a POS and they're waiting to do any reviews for a production copy.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 2:10:10 AM EDT
[#49]

Was a post on their top 5 rifles of shotshow. Individual asked why the PWS wasn't on the top 5 and they replied with that info.

Eta: Look for the post on the (why I hated) the top 5 rifles 2024 that has time stamps of each rifle. James makes a comment that the prototype they've had their hands on was a POS and they're waiting to do any reviews for a production copy.
View Quote

That's rough, I know one of the guns seemed like it was having some fail to eject issues. A page or two back is a few videos of the same gun and you can see the ejection patterns go from 2 o'clock to 4 o'clock between two videos, the only explanation I can think of for the same gun to change so drastically is that someone changed the gas settings to suppressed.
Hopefully the guns they took to EnforceTac did better.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:42:38 PM EDT
[#50]
I kind of disappointed that nothing but silence since Shot about this rifle ...
Page / 3
New PWS UXR rifle thread (Page 2 of 3)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top