Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/11/2017 11:03:40 AM EDT
Local gun shop has a XCR for 1200. Has a tube style folding stock on it, looks hardly used. My question, should I get it? Anything to look at before buying? This is a used rifle, but looks hardly used at all.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 2:28:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Absolutly. They are a great rifle. You can get all the upgrades from Robinson that are on the new rifles. Theu are robust and reliable.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 3:13:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Absolutly. They are a great rifle. You can get all the upgrades from Robinson that are on the new rifles. Theu are robust and reliable.
View Quote
Good to know. So is $1200 a good price?
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 4:26:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Around here it would be good. Great would be 1000.00 Their customer service is great.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 4:28:33 PM EDT
[#4]
They are always upgrading their product and improving it.  All XCR rifles are upgradeable. What round is it set up for?
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 5:08:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Looked like 5.56 when I messed with it.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 8:07:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Go get it! Mine was like $1600. Great bespoke kit.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 1:46:06 PM EDT
[#7]
If you are going to upgrade to the most current configuration, it may be cheaper just to buy a new one. Just sayin'
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 6:49:15 PM EDT
[#8]
$1200's a great price. Both my brother and I have XCR's. Awesome rifles. I actually ditched my AR's for the XCR and haven't looked back.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 7:57:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
$1200's a great price. Both my brother and I have XCR's. Awesome rifles. I actually ditched my AR's for the XCR and haven't looked back.
View Quote
Good to know. I am going by there tomorrow to look it over real good and hopefully walk away with it. If it performs how I expect it to, I will be putting my DD up for sale.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 10:38:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If you are going to upgrade to the most current configuration, it may be cheaper just to buy a new one. Just sayin'
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 10:53:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
I don't want keymod so I won't be buying a new one.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 3:45:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stock, Fire Control Group, Gas Block, ect.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 1:31:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Gas blocks: the old style is infinitely adjustable but requires a wrench. New style is a knob with detent, 5 positions.

FCG: both old and new are beefy and very M1 Garrand like in technology and feel.
Old style is a great battle trigger with no real take up and a clean break.
New style also has no real take up and clean break with lighter pull.

Tube stock. Folds to right and does not interfere with controls or firing when folded.
Sucks if you need it to collapse. Fantastic if you need to smash in windshields with it.

There's nothing inherently wrong with the design so up grade only what you want to.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 11:46:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Gas blocks: the old style is infinitely adjustable but requires a wrench. New style is a knob with detent, 5 positions.

FCG: both old and new are beefy and very M1 Garrand like in technology and feel.
Old style is a great battle trigger with no real take up and a clean break.
New style also has no real take up and clean break with lighter pull.

Tube stock. Folds to right and does not interfere with controls or firing when folded.
Sucks if you need it to collapse. Fantastic if you need to smash in windshields with it.

There's nothing inherently wrong with the design so up grade only what you want to.
View Quote
Gas Block - It has the knob style and is easy to turn. Push in the detent and turn the knob.

FCG - They have it zip tied so i wasn't able to pull the charging handle and squeeze the trigger.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 12:09:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Gas Block - It has the knob style and is easy to turn. Push in the detent and turn the knob.

FCG - They have it zip tied so i wasn't able to pull the charging handle and squeeze the trigger.
View Quote
You can tell what Fire Control Group it has if the shop will let you open it up and take a look.
https://robinsonarmament.com/xcr-part-identification/
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 6:00:16 PM EDT
[#16]
The only upgrade that is in any way critical in my mind is the upgrading the bolt group to the one that has the large, rounded tip on the aft end of the firing pin. The earlier, AK-style firing pin can break. Happened to my brother, but Robinson replaced the whole bolt gratis.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 7:22:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Two people any XCR owner should know IMO is Nate, owner of Little Jack's guns in Milton Florida, and Kermit, owner of Wild Thang Farms in Idaho.

Personally, $1,200 seems kind of high for a tube folder IMO, particularly in the gun market right now (couple of years ago, yes, a great price), but if it has the second gen gas block (which the one you looked at apparently has) and trigger, it's not a bend over price.

I love the platform and think it's a great design.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 1:54:45 PM EDT
[#18]
So I talked them down a bit and I also traded in my PSA AK. I ended up paying $750 OTD. Here are a couple of pics of the gas block and the FCG.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 3:32:02 PM EDT
[#19]
I'd be happy with that trade (nothing against AKs). Do you have a picture of the bolt?
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 3:34:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'd be happy with that trade (nothing against AKs). Do you have a picture of the bolt?
View Quote
I'll try and get one later. The rifle is in my truck at work and I was taking a risk taking those pics.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 3:56:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'll try and get one later. The rifle is in my truck at work and I was taking a risk taking those pics.
View Quote
You must be Josh
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 4:22:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You must be Josh
View Quote
That be me
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 12:50:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Great!   I saw that it was gone when i went by the gun shop yesterday.   Shoot it and tell us what you think!  Play with the gas setting and you may be amazed at how soft and smooth shooting it is.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 9:47:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Here is a pic of the rifle as it sits now. I got the Burris XTRii 1-5x on there and just grabbed a 40rd Pmag. Trying to decide if I want put an ACR stock on it or leave it as is. Hope to be able to get out the range sometime soon and shoot it. Still need to get some BUIS and a sling for it.

Link Posted: 6/29/2017 2:11:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Nice looking rifle!  For the BUIS, I recommend the Magpul Pro steel sights.  They are very low profile and will have no issues going under your scope.  You can get them around $150 for the pair.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 10:39:03 PM EDT
[#26]
I could have given you a better deal

They're great rifles!
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 7:36:39 AM EDT
[#27]
I see this thread has 26 reply's and 1,285 reads.

For the curious: why some like the XCR-L and lay out the cash to purchase.

Awesome ergonomics. You can do every operation without breaking the firing grip.
Aluminum upper and lower.
Calibers and conversions in 5.45, 5.56, 6.8, 7.62x39, .300Blk and 6.5 Grendel.
Options on barrel lengths, calibers, twists and heavy light and medium contours from 7.5 inch to 18.5 inch.
Monolithic upper with Picatinny rail on top running the full length of the upper.
Uppers available in four different lengths.
Factory SBR and pistols.
5 position tool-less gas regulator. Suppressed,1,2,3,4.
User changeable barrel.
Takes all NATO STANAG / AR compatible mags and drums.
Takes all AR compatible grips.
Factory standard 3.5# trigger is on par with Geiselle SSA.
Left side charging handle with forward assist, all other controls are fully ambidextrous.
Collapsible adjustable aluminum folding stock that locks tight, doesn't flex and doesn't crumble when you smash and bash things with it. Also has adjustable polymer cheek piece.
Stock folds to the right and does not interfere with controls, firing or ejection.
The 16" barreled carbine breaks down in 30 seconds or less into three pieces that fit in a 17 inch tool box, brief case or day pack.

It uses commonly available commercial hardware available at any auto parts, hardware or home improvement store.

To better understand the XCR my advice is get some trigger time on one and then take it apart. All the way apart. It's easy.

To tear one down to the last piece and build it back up you will need the complete armorers tool kit for the XCR which consists of the following:
a folding hex key set.
a small adjustable wrench.
a small punch or nail.
a hammer ( or rock if you prefer )

That's it. That's all the tools required to completely strip it down to the last piece.
No specialty tools required. No jigs. No fixtures. Not even a torque wrench.
And the complete armorers tool kit fits in your pouch or pack side pocket.

If you don't already have those simple hand tools you can get them at any hardware, auto parts or home improvement store in the country. Or in a pinch you could raid your buddy's tool box .

Pro tip #1: To avoid pissing off the buddy leave beer in place of borrowed tools.
Pro tip #2: Finding beer in your tool box indicates your buddy is holding out.
Giving you trigger time on his new toy is required good form and order of the day and restores the balance.  Don't be a cheap bastard, buy good beer. And good ammo cuz you haz class.

There are no specialty fasteners or rivets used in the XCR. The few screws and pins that are used are common plain vanilla industrial standard hardware available at every NAPA and Home Depot and a hundred hardware retailers on line.

Now that you have it apart take a good hard critical look at the pieces, their design, their function and their fabrication. It has some fantastic engineering and design features. This will be an eye opener.

The two stage trigger system is very M1 Garrand like in its use of the M1's "two hooks" technology as opposed to "square edge and notch" design FCG's most of us are familiar with.  The two hook system is what what gives the M1, M14 and others that use it their superior trigger pull characteristics and contributes to the XCR crisp 3.5# pull weight.

The FCG pins are a very robust .170 inch diameter, the same diameter as Colt "large pin" FCG pins and .015 bigger than standard .155 AR FCG pins. It will take a couple lifetimes to wear them out but if you somehow mange to lose them say during a zombie apocalypse then some long shank short thread number 8 socket head cap screws and lock nuts from Home Depot should suffice until the the hoard disperses or one could cut and groove some 5/32 HSS rod. Or better yet just buy however much spare parts makes you happy beforehand.

The bolt is an over built three lug affair with more bearing surface and shear area than needed. It has an impressive T-slot extractor that physically can not slide outward to slip off the cartridge rim and is prevented from doing so by the barrel extension. When the bolt goes back the case is coming back with it period.

There is no cam pin going through the bolt body. The bolt is forged and has a cam lug protruding from the side. This allows for a smaller bolt body diameter than what a removable pin through body design requires. This smaller diameter of the bolt main body when coupled with the feed lip cuts in the bolt carrier allows the magazines feed lips to sit higher and closer to the bore center line than any other rifle I know of. This gives near straight line feeding.

On the recoil stroke the carrier travels rearward a little bit before the cam cut starts to unlock the bolt. This gives time for the carrier to build inertia and time for the residual chamber pressure to bleed of to zero or near zero for little to no case grip on the chamber walls before unlocking and extraction occurs.

When the bolt starts rotating, the left locking lug engages a caming ramp in the barrel extension. The caming ramp gives a 23:1 mechanical advantge for slow positive initial extraction like a Mauser model 98.

The slot in the top of the carrier that the lug on the bottom of the op rod fits into is slightly longer than the said op rod lug that drops into the slot.
In operation, with gas pressure pushing the op rod back, the back end of the lug presses against the aft end of the slot in the carrier.
Going in the opposite direction, when the op rod is being pushed forward by spring tension the lug slips forward and now the forward end of the lug is pressing the carrier forward at the front of the carrier.

This effectively eliminates carrier tilt in both directions.

Notice the bore center line is below the the stock center line. That's why the muzzle climbs less than straight line designs.

The gas piston head, gas block and gas regulator do some really cool things with area, gas  volume, pressure curves and impulse in the first half inch of travel.

The sum of the design features and operating characteristics of the action doing what it does gives a firing sensation best described as so buttery smooth is makes butter jealous or, very MP5SD like.

Accuracy and weight are the same as any comparable monolithic uppered match triggered piston powered AR or MOA and 7.3 pounds. XCR-L costs less.

TL;DR crafted like a Swiss Main Battle Tank, shoots as good as the ammo you put through it, runs like a Rolex even when fed crappy commie steel case fodder.

Edit for pour speling and punkshuashon.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 8:33:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Awesome ergonomics. You can do every operation without breaking the firing grip.
Options on barrel lengths, calibers, twists and heavy light and medium contours from 7.5 inch to 18.5 inch.
Monolithic upper with Picatinny rail on top running the full length of the upper.
Factory SBR and pistols.
User changeable barrel.
Left side charging handle with forward assist, all other controls are fully ambidextrous.
Collapsible adjustable aluminum folding stock that locks tight, doesn't flex and doesn't crumble when you smash and bash things with it. Also has adjustable polymer cheek piece.
Stock folds to the right and does not interfere with controls, firing or ejection.
The 16" barreled carbine breaks down in 30 seconds or less into three pieces that fit in a 17 inch tool box, brief case or day pack.

It uses commonly available commercial hardware available at any auto parts, hardware or home improvement store.

To better understand the XCR my advice is get some trigger time on one and then take it apart. All the way apart. It's easy.

To tear one down to the last piece and build it back up you will need the complete armorers tool kit for the XCR which consists of the following:
a folding hex key set.
a small punch or nail.

That's it. That's all the tools required to completely strip it down to the last piece.

If you don't already have those simple hand tools you can get them at any hardware, auto parts or home improvement store in the country. Or in a pinch you could raid your buddy's tool box .

Pro tip #1: To avoid pissing off the buddy leave beer in place of borrowed tools.
Giving you trigger time on his new toy is required good form and order of the day and restores the balance.  Don't be a cheap bastard, buy good beer. And good ammo cuz you haz class.

There are no specialty fasteners or rivets used in the XCR. The few screws and pins that are used are common plain vanilla industrial standard hardware available at every NAPA and Home Depot and a hundred hardware retailers on line.

Now that you have it apart take a good hard critical look at the pieces, their design, their function and their fabrication. It has some fantastic engineering and design features. This will be an eye opener.

The two stage trigger system is very M1 Garrand like in its use of the M1's "two hooks" technology as opposed to "square edge and notch" design FCG's most of us are familiar with.  The two hook system is what what gives the M1, M14 and others that use it their superior trigger pull characteristics and contributes to the XCR crisp 3.5# pull weight.

The FCG pins are a very robust .170 inch diameter, the same diameter as Colt "large pin" FCG pins and .015 bigger than standard .155 AR FCG pins. It will take a couple lifetimes to wear them out but if you somehow mange to lose them say during a zombie apocalypse then some long shank short thread number 8 socket head cap screws and lock nuts from Home Depot should suffice until the the hoard disperses or one could cut and groove some 5/32 HSS rod. Or better yet just buy however much spare parts makes you happy beforehand.

The bolt is an over built three lug affair with more bearing surface and shear area than needed. It has an impressive T-slot extractor that physically can not slide outward to slip off the cartridge rim and is prevented from doing so by the barrel extension. When the bolt goes back the case is coming back with it period.

There is no cam pin going through the bolt body. The bolt is forged and has a cam lug protruding from the side. This allows for a smaller bolt body diameter than what a removable pin through body design requires. This smaller diameter of the bolt main body when coupled with the feed lip cuts in the bolt carrier allows the magazines feed lips to sit higher and closer to the bore center line than any other rifle I know of. This gives near straight line feeding.

On the recoil stroke the carrier travels rearward a little bit before the cam cut starts to unlock the bolt. This gives time for the carrier to build inertia and time for the residual chamber pressure to bleed of to zero or near zero for little to no case grip on the chamber walls before unlocking and extraction occurs.

When the bolt starts rotating, the left locking lug engages a caming ramp in the barrel extension. The caming ramp gives a 23:1 mechanical advantge for slow positive initial extraction like a Mauser model 98.

The slot in the top of the carrier that the lug on the bottom of the op rod fits into is slightly longer than the said op rod lug that drops into the slot.
In operation, with gas pressure pushing the op rod back, the back end of the lug presses against the aft end of the slot in the carrier.
Going in the opposite direction, when the op rod is being pushed forward by spring tension the lug slips forward and now the forward end of the lug is pressing the carrier forward at the front of the carrier.

Notice the bore center line is below the the stock center line. That's why the muzzle climbs less than straight line designs.

The gas piston head, gas block and gas regulator do some really cool things with area, gas  volume, pressure curves and impulse in the first half inch of travel.

The sum of the design features and operating characteristics of the action doing what it does gives a firing sensation best described as so buttery smooth is makes butter jealous or, very MP5SD like.

Accuracy and weight are the same as any comparable monolithic uppered match triggered piston powered AR or MOA and 7.3 pounds. XCR-L costs less.

TL;DR crafted like a Swiss Main Battle Tank, shoots as good as the ammo you put through it, runs like a Rolex even when fed crappy commie steel case fodder.

View Quote
When did Alex put you on the payroll?
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 10:28:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Lollz  ( I have no humorous comeback )

I'm not beholden to or affiliated with RA. Those are my observations of what makes the rifle tick.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 11:22:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Lollz  ( I have no humorous comeback )

I'm not beholden to or affiliated with RA. Those are my observations of what makes the rifle tick.
View Quote
I know, that's why was included.
Very good break down on the XCR features.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 4:34:35 PM EDT
[#31]
XCR is awesome. I have an older model with an older gas block that requires a tool to adjust. It's also noticably heavier then my ar-15 because of the heavy barrel on the XCR but it's still my most reliable and favorite assault rifle. Good find for 1200
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 8:16:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Factory SBR and pistols.
User changeable barrel.

a folding hex key set.
a small punch or nail.

View Quote
I remember when they first came out and I've always been intrigued by them, but why aren't they more popular? Are they in use by any LE or military?
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 12:40:08 AM EDT
[#33]
There are actually several millitary units using them. Both foreign and domestic. There are also numerous police agencies that are using them. Slso foreign and domestic.  One of the great things about it is their ability to fold the stock. A micro with a folded stock will fit in most of the saddle bags that the motor squads use. Not to mention, they fold up snall enough to fit in some of the nooks and crannies of aircraft, like the AH64.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 3:58:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I remember when they first came out and I've always been intrigued by them, but why aren't they more popular? Are they in use by any LE or military?
View Quote
State Department or some other alphabet Agency field security team was carrying some outside the wire in Iraq, 2008.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 11:16:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Does anybody know how much RA charges to upgrade the bolt? I have a XCRL with the older style.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 3:24:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Does anybody know how much RA charges to upgrade the bolt? I have a XCRL with the older style.
View Quote
Break the firing pin and get it done for free. That's what my brother did, although it was not intentional.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 6:22:40 PM EDT
[#37]
@lew

@B44T

Which slings would you recommend for the XCR?

I'm considering buying a Competition...
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 6:31:17 PM EDT
[#38]
I have a Blue Force Gear padded VCAS on mine, which is my preferred "tactical" sling.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 11:40:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
It depends on which bolt you have and what you want to upgrade.

Parts Identification page

Oct.16 Parts Price List Pdf

Kermit of Wild Thang Farms in ID. and Nate of Little jack's guns in FL. are the two premier  purveyors of all things XCR.

There are also other Stocking Dealers list
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 11:46:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
@lew

@B44T

Which slings would you recommend for the XCR?

I'm considering buying a Competition...
View Quote
It depends on your needs.

Slings are options and changeable for what your doing.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 6:00:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

It depends on your needs.

Slings are options and changeable for what your doing.
View Quote
Something that would work with a chest rig or a plate carrier.

I'm thinking either a Savvy or a Vickers sling. Does the Competition have QD mounts?

Thanks B44T
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 6:01:10 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I have a Blue Force Gear padded VCAS on mine, which is my preferred "tactical" sling.
View Quote
Thanks lew.

I'm thinking either a Vickers or a Savvy sling.

Do you know if the Competition has QD mounts?
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 2:23:19 PM EDT
[#43]
No experience with the Competition model.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 8:59:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Thanks lew.

View Quote
Yes it does.  On the stock
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 5:34:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks lew.

Thanks owtlaw.

No QD mounts in the handguard though, right?
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 9:45:44 AM EDT
[#46]
Correct
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 2:52:45 AM EDT
[#47]
@Jfor

Have you taken your XCR to the range yet?
Why did you trade in your DD?

Quoted:
Correct
View Quote
Thanks owtlaw
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 4:59:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
@Jfor

Have you taken your XCR to the range yet?
Why did you trade in your DD?

Thanks owtlaw
View Quote
I didn't trade the DD. I wanted to sell it because u have plenty of AR'S
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top