Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2017 8:42:05 PM EDT
I would like to leave pistol in my car throughout the hot southern summer days, but I could've sworn that I saw a mythbusters episode where they tested this to be true.  Did anyone see this episode?
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 8:46:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I would like to leave pistol in my car throughout the hot southern summer days, but I could've sworn that I saw a mythbusters episode where they tested this to be true.  Did anyone see this episode?
View Quote

Well, seeing as how the southern states (AZ, TX, FL) have some of the most liberalized concealed carry laws, and we don't read lots of stories about rounds cooking off in cars, I don't think you have to worry about it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 8:49:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Well, seeing as how the southern states (AZ, TX, FL) have some of the most liberalized concealed carry laws, and we don't read lots of stories about rounds cooking off in cars, I don't think you have to worry about it.
View Quote
How many discharges happen with ammo supplied to service members in the middle east?
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 8:52:59 PM EDT
[#3]
If the vehicle catches fire....yes. Other than that , No.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 9:01:07 PM EDT
[#4]
You can leave ammo in a hot car it takes more than that to pop it.  I lived in S Texas for years had plenty of ammo in hot cars - no issue.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 9:07:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 9:16:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Wasn't the myth busters episode about bic lighters? 
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 9:18:30 PM EDT
[#7]
You'll be fine, let er rip.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 9:19:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
I only remember the biscuit tube one.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 9:54:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Not going to happen.

I did have an unopened can of Sprite explode that was bouncing around in a back seat cup holder.

That was a mess.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 10:43:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Not an issue.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 10:54:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I keep spare defense ammo in my glove box all year long and it gets hot as balls and never a problem. 
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 11:51:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Between AZ and Kandahar, never heard of it happening.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 11:56:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
A Bic lighter on the dash will blow up in the summer just about anywhere on the globe. Don't leave butane lights in the sun behind glass. Usually they will just get pressurized and behave like a flamethrower when you go to use them, but I've seen a few pop. Never heard of a gun popping in a hot car though, I think that needs to reach like a thousand degrees, not just a couple hundred.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 11:46:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Gun powder has an ignition temp around 450 degrees Fahrenheit.  Not a concern unless car is on fire.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 1:37:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 4:39:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I only remember the biscuit tube one.
View Quote
I only remember the episodes with Kari Byron

ETA: as others have said don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 8:32:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm about 95% certain that Georgia has to be the most 2-A friendly, "Free State" in the union... Especially as of late! But I agree with you. OP, if the inside of your vehicle reaches 500* then you have a lot of other things going on in there!
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 8:10:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 12:36:01 AM EDT
[#19]
The only episodes I recall where ammo spontaneously fired in a gun due to heat exposure were in an oven and another in a deep-fryer. Both of those would be well over 300° so I think it's possible that your car's interior would be in flames at that point! I wouldn't worry about it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 12:40:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Completely safe OP. Just make sure the gun is always in a holster that keeps the trigger covered and you're GTG.

Safety first! I'm glad you are thinking responsibly.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:11:50 PM EDT
[#21]
I drove around Las Vegas for almost two years with half a case of 5.56 in my trunk. Never had an issue.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 3:01:03 PM EDT
[#22]
In Houston I only see 155*F on one hundred degree days in the center console area of my Camaro. I never worry about the pistol kept in it. The dash directly beneath the windshield is certainly hotter but I don't make a habit of leaving my pistol on the dash!
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 3:18:13 PM EDT
[#23]
I remember the fireman they talked to said the lead would melt before the primer cooks off. Admittedly high temps will degrade powder quickly but even the 450* posted earlier seems kind of low to cook off the primer let alone powder. I've had to use a torch to ignite powder spilled on my bench. I couldn't get it lit with a match. 
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 5:29:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Your pistol will melt before a round cools off.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 2:43:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Its never happened to me- regular 110 degree days, some up to 125 during the summer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top