Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2017 1:38:42 PM EDT
With all of the aftermarket gadgets available for piston conversions, forward charging handles and folding stock gizmos; what's wrong with dumping a RRA PDS upper on a standard AR lower?  It would seem to me that buying an off the shelf unit would make more sense than Frankengunning something together, but I'm no expert.  Chime in please if you have any experience
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 2:11:42 PM EDT
[#1]
You have to plug the receiver extension, so you're still frankengunning something together.  It just has RRA's name on it instead of Adams Arms or whoever.

They cannot be suppressed, the factory railed handguard was late to the party by like a year, the promised fix for the gas regulator for suppressing it never came out, and it has been poorly supported otherwise.  You don't see people talk about them because no one buys them due to their expensive snowflake status.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 7:49:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Why would you give your hard earned money to a company that has thrown the second amendment under the bus in Illinois?

Fuck them both RRA and springfield armory.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 8:05:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why would you give your hard earned money to a company that has thrown the second amendment under the bus in Illinois?

View Quote
x2
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 8:18:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
x2
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

x2
x3
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 9:09:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd like to know as well. There is one at the LGS and it's used. They want NEW pricing for it. It seemed well made and designed. I think it would make a nice match with a side folding brace on my MPX...

as for the Illinois thing... what did you think was going to happen. They aren't all going to pick up and move with all of their employees to a different state. Things generally don't work how you guys wish they did. you all know that.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 9:42:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes, and everybody knows it.

This is a tech forum, however, not GD. No need to "GD" up the tech forums.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 11:42:10 PM EDT
[#7]
As mentioned, you can slap a PDS upper on a regular lower but might damage it.  The rear of the PDS lower is solid aluminum which stops rearward movement of the shortened carrier and prevents it from over-travel.  A standard lower doesn't allow this and lets the op-rod housing strike the guide rod base & receiver.

You can stick something like a delrin rod down the tube or make a solid plug that screws into the receiver.  Both will prevent over-travel of the carrier & spring.  Obviously using a rod in the buffer tube defeats the purpose of having a "bufferless recoil system".

I think RRA tried something similar during initial testing using a screw-in plug. Apparently the threads on the receiver were getting stripped after continual use.  I assume that's why they ended up going with a dedicated lower with solid rear end.

Your choice to try it on your lower or support RRA for that matter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top