Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/28/2017 3:34:15 PM EDT
How would you feel about a PS90 truck gun? They are very light, compact, accurate and hold 50 rounds plus extra ammo is very light. The ammo is very easy to find around here plus it would be easy to keep 500 or so rounds on hand.

I don't have many guns and really most all my stuff is NFA so I don't want to keep it in my truck anyways, plus I'm tired of AR/AKs and want something different.

Would you feel confident with a PS90 if something bad went down? Really looking for an excuse to buy one but I want an effective firearm should the need arise, which I seriously doubt I'll ever need one but what the hell!
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 3:47:15 PM EDT
[#1]
It'll do the job.  AR57 on an SBRd lower is probably less value if stolen.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 3:54:36 PM EDT
[#2]
They are handy and have a thin profile while loaded compared to something like an AR (check your laws).

I wouldn't personally own one unless it was an SBR though...
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 3:55:40 PM EDT
[#3]
SBRed, yes.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 4:01:41 PM EDT
[#4]
expensive gun to get stolen

I keep a beater AR pistol in mine.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 12:33:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Is a "Truck Gun", allowed at a BBQ?  And if so, does it become a "BBQ Gun"?  You guys are hysterical!
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 12:56:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Not a fan of the bullet.

I'd stick to the 5.56 or 7.62x39.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 1:50:42 AM EDT
[#7]
How would you feel about a PS90 truck gun? They are very light, compact, accurate and hold 50 rounds plus extra ammo is very light. The ammo is very easy to find around here plus it would be easy to keep 500 or so rounds on hand.
View Quote

They are definitely light and compact (especially SBR'd), but performance is somewhat anemic.  Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want to get shot with one, but I'd definitely want something with a little more terminal performance.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 7:21:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

They are definitely light and compact (especially SBR'd), but performance is somewhat anemic.  Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want to get shot with one, but I'd definitely want something with a little more terminal performance.
View Quote
That's what I can't get past. I'll probably just stick with an AR or something.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 8:43:36 AM EDT
[#9]
From the non-NFA 16" barrel the terminal ballistics improve compared to an SBR. 5.7x28  is not impressive on paper but has done some real World damage (sad "stats" that I will not post ).

It's not that 5.7x28 performance is horrible, it's that other more widely available, proven and cheaper options are better.

For a compact "truck gun" I personally would go with an AR pistol in 5.56 loaded with a round designed for shorter barrels with a 20 round mag in the gun and a 40 round PMAG as a spare. As always, YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 12:40:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yup

I keep a beater AR in my truck with about 300rds
My car has a Yugo underfolder AK47

Always have my glock117 on me
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 12:48:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That's what I can't get past. I'll probably just stick with an AR or something.
View Quote
How about an AUG?
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 12:59:47 PM EDT
[#12]
If you don't put a locker in your truck the gun should be small enough to put in a bag you can take with you when you park.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 1:14:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Not bad if you can live with the limitation of the round. I love mine in SBR format and it's an ideal weapon for fighting from inside a vehicle (downward ejection, no mag hanging down to catch on things, etc).

Prices have come down from when they first were imported, but it is not a gun I would leave in the car.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 1:29:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:  If you don't put a locker in your truck the gun should be small enough to put in a bag you can take with you when you park.
View Quote
 Or don't live in a nanny state where locking your car doors is good enough.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 3:30:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
If I advised you to keep other valuable property like your laptop secure would you also complain?
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 4:07:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If I advised you to keep other valuable property like your laptop secure would you also complain?
View Quote
My laptop was more expensive than my trunk gun, and I've never really thought about needing my laptop ASAP
Plus my car sleeps in a locked workshop.

But yes, in areas prone to smash and grabs or unsecured parking, it's not a great idea, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want to be armed in your vehicle but you can't carry it with you everywhere you go.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 4:09:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

My laptop was more expensive than my trunk gun, and I've never really thought about needing my laptop ASAP
Plus my car sleeps in a locked workshop.

But yes, in areas prone to smash and grabs or unsecured parking, it's not a great idea, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want to be armed in your vehicle but you can't carry it with you everywhere you go.
View Quote
That's fine.

I'd hate for a gun I left unsecured out of laziness to be used in a crime.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 4:13:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
That's fine.
View Quote
True, but criminals will get guns one way or another.  Around here it's cheap handguns like HiPoints with the numbers scratched off 10:1 to anything else.
On that note though, all the more reason not to have gun-related stickers on your vehicle.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 4:23:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

True, but criminals will get guns one way or another.  Around here it's cheap handguns like HiPoints with the numbers scratched off 10:1 to anything else.
On that note though, all the more reason not to have gun-related stickers on your vehicle.
View Quote
Not necessarily. It's not inevitable.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 4:37:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 4:51:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Chicago Rambo Fn p90 gen 1 - Army guns
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 5:58:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think you missed the point.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 7:08:22 PM EDT
[#23]
I think MPA makes a 5.7 type Mac 10. Might be cheap way to get in the caliber.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 9:37:18 PM EDT
[#24]
It's not that I'm wanting something in 5.7x28, I'm just thinking the PS90 specifically would be a sweet little PDW if I found myself in need of something more than my G19. My truck is garage kept and I work in a small little town but not far from some areas which are prone to drug activity. I drive a very plain, common looking SUV with no stickers at all. Plus I doubt I would ever find myself in a situation where I would need a little carbine. I like the idea of 50 rounds on tap in a light recoiling, quick little carbine but if the performance isn't there, then it isn't there. I do have a Scorpion EVO but it is SBR'd along with my other AR15s so I dont really want to leave them in my vehicle. I do have a Zenith Z5-P with a SB tactical folding brace that would fit in a backpack real easy but I was thinking of selling it, maybe I'll just hang on to it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 9:56:05 PM EDT
[#25]
I think it's a perfect truck gun. The point of a PDW is not to bring it to a fight, but to get out of a fight with it, and 50 rounds out of a weapon designed to be used with one hand easily is a good deterrent as you hit the gas. With the A-max bullets giving some expansion it should be more than enough for defensive purposes.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 10:36:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Problem with a PDW is poor penetration through barriers
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 11:44:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:  That's fine.

View Quote
Spending money to outfit all your vehicles w/ a long gun locker may make financial sense to some folk, but not the majority of us.  That's hardly laziness.  ALL security is theater.  You should know that.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 11:50:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Spending money to outfit all your vehicles w/ a long gun locker may make financial sense to some folk, but not the majority of us.  That's hardly laziness.  ALL security is theater.  You should know that.
View Quote

How many vehicles do you roll heavy in?
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 12:02:06 AM EDT
[#29]
I've seen the 5.7 round punch through body armor. Local pd was retiring their old vests (about 5 years old) rounds went through both sides... color me impressed.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 12:13:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I don't have many guns and really most all my stuff is NFA so I don't want to keep it in my truck anyways, plus I'm tired of AR/AKs and want something different.

Would you feel confident with a PS90 if something bad went down? Really looking for an excuse to buy one but I want an effective firearm should the need arise, which I seriously doubt I'll ever need one but what the hell!
View Quote
load it with elite or other manufacturers ammo - it is much more effective and fast compared to the fn factory ammo.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 12:14:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:  

How many vehicles do you roll heavy in?
View Quote
I carry a rifle just about everywhere I go.  W/ the teens, we're @ 4 vehicles.  I've been driving my van since '05, and have had a single attempted break in, in a crappy motel parking lot in Austin.  Including trips to DC and Arizona.

With ARs down to $400, why wouldn't you carry a rifle in your vehicle?  And who's got a lockable rifle case worth a crap for a vehicle that's less than the rifle?

ARs are now so cheap that I'm giving receivers away and gifting a complete rifle soon.  If someone breaks into my house or car and steals 'em I'll file a police report, collect the insurance, and go buy more.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 12:17:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I've seen the 5.7 round punch through body armor. Local pd was retiring their old vests (about 5 years old) rounds went through both sides... color me impressed.
View Quote
I've seen 9x19 go through one and a car door.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 12:27:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I've seen 9x19 go through one and a car door.
View Quote
wasn't making a comparison on rounds. Just stating that the 5.7 is more than capable of what OP needs it for.  With the capacity and profile of a SBR'd PS90 you'd have a winner. Secret service used them for a reason
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 12:54:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I carry a rifle just about everywhere I go.  W/ the teens, we're @ 4 vehicles.  I've been driving my van since '05, and have had a single attempted break in, in a crappy motel parking lot in Austin.  Including trips to DC and Arizona.

With ARs down to $400, why wouldn't you carry a rifle in your vehicle?  And who's got a lockable rifle case worth a crap for a vehicle that's less than the rifle?

ARs are now so cheap that I'm giving receivers away and gifting a complete rifle soon.  If someone breaks into my house or car and steals 'em I'll file a police report, collect the insurance, and go buy more.
View Quote
Forgive me for. It wanting my guns to fall into criminal hands.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 4:17:59 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
Agree.

Logically, by his reasoning we shouldn't have safes at home either.

I'll continue to keep my vehicle long guns secured. And that extra locker space is nice when I want to toss my expensive O/U in as well when I stop for lunch or dinner on the way home.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 10:21:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
Like I do?  If I was running around w/ a $2K SBR, I would see the utility of locking it up.  For a beater $400 AR?  When I've had all of 2 attempted car burglaries in 30 years?

You want to lock your stuff up, fine.  For a blanket statement that locking your car doors is insufficient, no.  That's BS.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 1:31:56 AM EDT
[#37]
RRA PPS pistol, add a side folding arm brace. Call it good.

Or Sig MCX pistol, or MPX setup with side folding brace.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 11:17:13 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Would you feel confident with a PS90 if something bad went down?
View Quote

not as confident if i had a AR.

A pistol ar with brace is what keep, handles as a sbr, shoots like a rifle, low cost, and transported as a pistol
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 12:56:21 PM EDT
[#39]
I figure the ideal trunk gun is an ENDO stock adapter with a sig brace for someone who carries a glock 17. That way you throw the adapter and a few 33rd mags in the car and carry your normal pistol. There would be no risk for a stolen firearm, less investment than a dedicated secondary gun, and it doesn't get much more compact.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 5:53:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'd rather not. Personally, for a truck rifle I'd like a Beretta ARX-100 with a long-lasting Aimpoint or Trijicon that can be left on all the time. Much less needy on the lube department than an AR, gets nice and compact with the folding stock or if SBRed, or VERY compact with both, won't mind getting dirty, mostly high strength polymer so not much to corrode from swinging temps and humidity levels, and gets about LE6920 level accuracy so good enough to do the job.

In fact, with the ridiculous sale going on for it right now I'm pondering doing exactly that.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 12:06:31 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:54:43 PM EDT
[#42]
don't fail to take into account the possibility you are in a car accident and are either incapacitated or in all the excitement, fail to retrieve your firearm.  Once its towed to a yard, anything valuable will be gone.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:32:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
don't fail to take into account the possibility you are in a car accident and are either incapacitated or in all the excitement, fail to retrieve your firearm.  Once its towed to a yard, anything valuable will be gone.
View Quote
Well, it's always been my policy, if still conscious after a head-on, to junk-punch the tow guy right off,  just so he knows I'm serious when I say: "Dude, don't be fuckin' with my car."
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:04:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
So when you're home you should lock up your HD guns at night since your home could burn down and you'd have to run with no time to save your guns?

My guns are insured.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:13:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

So when you're home you should lock up your HD guns at night since your home could burn down and you'd have to run with no time to save your guns?

My guns are insured.
View Quote
Well my HD gun is locked up due to kids in the house, but my input was regarding on how much value you want to have into your truck gun.  For me a PS90 seems awfully expensive to leave unsecured.  My apocalypse fantasies usually start from home.  A Glock, 30-30 or a 12 GA is all the truck gun I need to get out of an issue.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:15:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Well my HD gun is locked up due to kids in the house, but my input was regarding on how much value you want to have into your truck gun.  For me a PS90 seems awfully expensive to leave unsecured.  My apocalypse fantasies usually start from home.  A Glock, 30-30 or a 12 GA is all the truck gun I need to get out of an issue.
View Quote
How much is your life worth?

If you're going to plan for an improbable event, why restrict yourself based on the chances of another improbable event?

The PS90 doesn't fit in my center console. The Scorpion SBR does. That's my deciding factor. Both vehicles have identical PSA CHF-based M4s in them.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:37:17 PM EDT
[#47]
It's handy enough to fire from inside the vehicle.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:33:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
It's not that I'm wanting something in 5.7x28, I'm just thinking the PS90 specifically would be a sweet little PDW if I found myself in need of something more than my G19. My truck is garage kept and I work in a small little town but not far from some areas which are prone to drug activity. I drive a very plain, common looking SUV with no stickers at all. Plus I doubt I would ever find myself in a situation where I would need a little carbine. I like the idea of 50 rounds on tap in a light recoiling, quick little carbine but if the performance isn't there, then it isn't there. I do have a Scorpion EVO but it is SBR'd along with my other AR15s so I dont really want to leave them in my vehicle. I do have a Zenith Z5-P with a SB tactical folding brace that would fit in a backpack real easy but I was thinking of selling it, maybe I'll just hang on to it.
View Quote
My PS90 has been great. Personally I wouldn't keep it in a vehicle for the obvious stated reason. 

For those saying they don't like the 5.7, it's not a rifle round. It was never intended to replace a rifle round. 

You seem to get the idea, it's like something above a glock 19 in terms of shootability and capacity.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 10:47:16 PM EDT
[#49]
How about instead of a truck gun a few extra mags for your CC pistol?  If you CC a Glock 26, tote 3 extra 33rd mags.  Leaves you without a truck gun to steal (assuming you can take your CC with you most places).

That, or an draco AK pistol in 7.62x39 with brace.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top