Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2017 10:24:10 AM EDT
Considering one of these. I get fantastic accuracy out of my glock 34 with precision coated 124 and titegroup. It does leave some lead behind which I can eliminate with a few jacketed.
How do these rounds work in the longer barreled pcc or rifles? Can they be cleaned with the same method? Lastly what max range can I accurately shoot these to?Mag dumps from my Uzi mod a were a blast. Back then there wasn't coated anything. If they don't smear badly in a traditionally rifled 7-16" bbl I can get motivated to make up several thou.
Thanks
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 2:29:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I feel that it will be a case by case basis. I hear uzi's have very rough rifling so it may not work at all in it without horrendous leading. secondly understand lead bullets as a whole may help. lead bullets fail typically in one of 3 categories.

#1 is size. a undersized for the bore bullet will lead no matter how hard you try and prevent it.(slugging the barrel will tell the story there, should be .001 oversized min)

#2 is alloy. the alloy of the bullet will dictate it's strength or ultimately pressure capabilities. (ie. you can use a slower powder at lower pressure and get higher velocity at times with no leading vs a faster powder at higher pressure and less velocity)

#3 is lube. in your case the lube is a coating. the lubricant is designed to form a barrier between the bullet and the bore so theoretically if it's doing it's job the lead will never contact the bore. lubes all have a yeild strength, some will withstand greater pressures and velocities than others. amount of lube (lube groove size or thickness of coating) needs to be enough to form a barrier between the bullet and bore all the way down. excessive bullet to bore clearance (too small of bullet) also allows the lube and ultimately flame front to jet past the bullet causing flame cutting of the bullet and typically ends as extreme leading.

That being said i've shot several hundreds of standard lead/lubed bullets from my glock 17 with a factory barrel (I only got leading once when I tried to use tumble alox lube). I also had a hipoint 9mm carbine years back that had a steady diet of cast bullets a 158gr keith to be specific. it was very quiet and I never once had to clean the barrel. but it was loaded very mild with a medium burning powder. probably only did 800-900ft/sec
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 10:40:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Since PCC was allowed in Steel Challenge and recently in USPSA, I've been shooting a Beretta CX4 9mm carbine. I've been using Blue Bullet 147 grain coated bullets and xtreme 124 grain plated bullets. I haven't had any problems at all.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 1:01:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I use a Bayou Bullet coated 135 in both my G34 (130pf) and AR9 PCC (146pf) with Win Super Field...I don't do mag dumps, but in a match with over 200 rounds and several 32 round or so stages get virtually no barrel leading, but some build up in the PCC comp.... the build up seems less with the completely coated bullets than with the open base jacketed 147s I was previously using...
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 9:47:21 PM EDT
[#4]
We've been training with Federal Syntech in our duty 9mm's including our MX4's for a bit over a year now, the stuff works as advertised. Super clean internals, no leading, and casual observations using a Fluke do show they run cooler. I have been powder coating my own reloads for years as well with no problems and several benefits.

Link Posted: 3/12/2017 10:06:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Just got some misery bullet Co 125s coated cones.
Will try with the same charge of tite group in my g34.
I also have bullseye. Would that not burn so hot as tg?
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 11:20:58 PM EDT
[#6]
phil... my experience going back to IHMSA days shooting non gas checked cast bullets in a .357 Merrill was that the slower burning Winchester ball process propellants produced less leading than the faster burn rate powders...the did not burn the base of the bullet, which greatly improved accuracy... I like the slower burn rate shot shell powders like Win Super Target, and Win Super Field (my choice for 9mm cast polymer coated)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top