Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2017 7:56:24 PM EDT
M1A

https://grabagun.com/springfield-m1a-scout-squad-308-walnut-10rd.html

or

Home made AR10 style rifle...Probably use Aero M5 receiver set.

Also thought about a RPR since it could fire .308 loads the gas guns shouldn't.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:58:41 PM EDT
[#1]
22" M14.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:09:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Home build an Aero M5.

But in true GD fashion get both.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:17:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't see the M1-A as an option in your poll. Looks like your mind is already made up.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:41:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't see the M1-A as an option in your poll. Looks like your mind is already made up.
View Quote

wOOOPS no it was supposed to be in there... Looks like i put it in the title field by mistake. (had a 3yr old in my arms in my defense.)

I'm thinking Springfield has an awesome warrenty so that IS a plus, but the rifle probably wouldn't as accurate out of the box and I have heard trying to make an M1, M1A, M14 into a sub MOA or even 1 MOA rifle is a money pit. But they're known to be reliable as hell too? Where as the AR10 pattern rifle is known to sometimes be picky due to timing issues? But M1A in wood stock is just puuuurdy.

So no my mind isn't made up.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:10:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Most times I have a 15 month old little boy running around the living room and trying to help me type on my laptop, so I can relate.

Since I don't own an AR10 pattern rifle, I can't comment on them.  I can say though, that out of the box with a surplus H&R barrel, my M1A standard model was getting
around 3" groups off a bench with 168gr FGMM ammo at 100 yards from a bench rest. No scope.  I wanted more accuracy, so I picked up a medium weight stainless
Criterion barrel from Fulton Armory, had them install it, and had them make a few modifications. Now I'm getting 1/2" inch groups with irons and FGMM.

After my son gets a little older, I'll be able to work on my shooting positions.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:05:00 AM EDT
[#6]
The AR10 will shoot circles around the 14, and I say that as a fan of the 14.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:44:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The AR10 will shoot circles around the 14, and I say that as a fan of the 14.
View Quote

This, I absolutely love the M14. However the Ar10 is a better platform for almost every reason imaginable.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 4:37:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This, I absolutely love the M14. However the Ar10 is a better platform for almost every reason imaginable.
View Quote

This

The m1a is overpriced and  parts are a pita to replace for the home-gamer, generally crap to shoot unless you like to get "slung up" and shoot irons on dirt.

I have not shot mine in a long time.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:49:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Armalite AR-10.  Have 2, and never had issues with either.  Great shooting rifles.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:52:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Skip the M1A, and get the Garand.

Then get the AR10.

Profit.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 6:24:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I've got an HRA Correct Grade M1 as well as a Springfield Special Grade  M1 (completely refurbished rifle consisting of an original M1 Garand Springfield receiver, new production Criterion barrel, new production American Walnut stock and handguards, and new web sling). In addition, I've also got a Springfield M1A with walnut stock to which I added a NM rear aperture (came with a NM front sight). In effect, the Springfield Special Grade M1 was NIB as was my  and Springfield M1A and both now have over 1,000rds through them.

My son and I shoot the Springfields (as the HRA is too fine a condition to shoot), he the M1 mostly and me the M1A mostly.  Both are excellent rifles, accurate and great to shoot.  I lean towards the M1A because the M14 was my basic training rifle and I maintained an arms room full of M14s for a year so I have history with it.  I like the heft and how well it shoulders and the 20rd mag capacity better, however, the M1 is also fine with me; slightly trimmer but the feel is the same as the M1A.  I handload for both of them and the cost of the ammo is virtually identical as I use the same W748 powder, 147grn FMJ Bullets, and same WLR primers in each so no advantage to either.  As both shoot the same bullet at the same velocity,performance is pretty much identical so they perform the same too.  Both are a joy to shoot and get a lot of looks from the plastic and aluminum crowd at the range.

Now as to the AR10. While I have 2 ARs, a RRA mid length carbine and RRA 20" scoped A4, I'm just not fan of the bulky receiver and the plastic, fantastic feel of them. Yes, they are accurate but not fun to shoot.  To me they just don't feel like a real rifle. I've shot friend's AR10s numerous times when we traded so they could shoot my M1A (they always want to shoot my M1A while I'm not interested in their AR10s) and in truth, the AR10 to me is just a worse version of the AR15; bigger, bulkier, and still plastic fantastic.  Everyone who I let shoot my M1A really likes it and a couple have gone on to buy an M1A to go with their AR10. 

My M1A feels head and shoulders better in use and as an 'irons only' comparison between the two, I'm a better shot at 300yds on bowling pins using my M1A and NM sights than any of the 'irons only' AR10s I've tried. I've also shot steel plates at 400yds with my M1A as well as a scoped M1A and scoped AR10.  I still prefer my irons only M1A over either the scoped M1A or scoped AR10, however, if the OP plans to add a scope to his choice, I'd give the nod to the AR10 as the ergonomics of it with the scope is better than the M1A to me. That said, the bulk of both scoped rifles doesn't do it for me as I really like the lean feel of the M1A with irons.

So, to answer the poll, if we're talking an 'irons only' platform, I'd pick the M1A hands down, however, if we're talking a scoped rifle, the AR10 wins in my book by a slight margin.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 4:59:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Save your money and get a Fn scar! I did and I am very happy!!!
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 5:12:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Depends on what you want to use it for. If you like historical classic weapons then the M1A with nice wood stocks do have a certain appeal. I will say the M1A is probably more reliable than an AR-10 style. The iron sights are better on the M1A. Now if you want to scope it, then AR-10 is way easier to mount a scope. The AR-10 is going to be more accurate. But yeah if money was no object and you just want the best battle rifle, then yeah the FN SCAR 17 is tough to beat. Damn thing is easy to scope, very reliable, lightweight, super accurate. Only downside is the cost, ha
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 11:43:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 7:25:45 PM EDT
[#15]
The AR10 is soulless but in terms of performance and ease of maintenance it's no contest. The AR10 is a superior machine.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 9:52:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Scar >Ar10 >para FAL for accuracy and durability as a battle rifle
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 5:55:19 PM EDT
[#17]
I've been wondering the same thing. I have a Garand and a Ruger SR762. The Ruger is a great rifle, but I definitely prefer the feel of that Garand in actual shooting, and I'm considering trading the AR10 for an M1A. Then I start wondering what the M1A does any better than a Garand for iron sighted shooting. But I'm in CA, so we have a 10 round limit anyway.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 3:08:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've been wondering the same thing. I have a Garand and a Ruger SR762. The Ruger is a great rifle, but I definitely prefer the feel of that Garand in actual shooting, and I'm considering trading the AR10 for an M1A. Then I start wondering what the M1A does any better than a Garand for iron sighted shooting. But I'm in CA, so we have a 10 round limit anyway.
View Quote

The M1A uses the White gas system,  it let's you use a wide variety of ammo.  

The M1 is pretty much stuck with M2 ball ammo. You need an adjustable gas plug to keep it shooting without causing problems
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 3:16:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The M1 is pretty much stuck with M2 ball ammo. You need an adjustable gas plug to keep it shooting without causing problems
View Quote
You say that as if it's an actual problem. IMR 3031 is your friend
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 8:35:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The M1A uses the White gas system,  it let's you use a wide variety of ammo.  

View Quote

I was thinking a .308 with a GarandGear gas plug.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 9:03:39 AM EDT
[#21]
I like my M14 a lot more than my aeroprecision based AR10 and I like my FAL more than both of those.

The AR10 I built is reliable and all, but it just isn't really special in any way. At least not to me, and I built the thing.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 1:16:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I like my M14 a lot more than my aeroprecision based AR10 and I like my FAL more than both of those.

The AR10 I built is reliable and all, but it just isn't really special in any way. At least not to me, and I built the thing.
View Quote

I feel the same way. I know it's not as "good" in any measurable sense, but I like my Garand better than my AR 10.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 5:22:22 PM EDT
[#23]
If we had a 500 dollar polytech vs a 800-1200 dollar ar-10 I'd say go for the polytech but with todays prices and availability the ar-10 is superior and more affordable.  I'd say get the m1a if it's on your classic desire list but that's it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 7:19:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Other = Factory built Armalite AR-10.

My kid has one and it is all that and a bag of chips.....
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 9:27:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I was thinking a .308 with a GarandGear gas plug.
View Quote
308 most likely wont need a GarandGear or adjustable gas plug unless it's a tanker or MiniG. You can also use a BM59 plug (it is a ported plug) if you did need one, they're like $16
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 10:11:03 PM EDT
[#26]
I love my M1A Scout, but voted AR10. More accurate, better ergonomics, faster mag changes, easier to mount optics, cheaper mags...

Get a practical .308 semi, then get a fun historical one if you still want one.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 7:08:55 PM EDT
[#27]
BOTH of course.

I find a nice 8-10 lb M1a more pleasant to shoot vs a 6-7 lb AR10 Carbine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top