Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2017 5:11:31 AM EDT
I have a Saginaw receiver marked "Saginaw S"  NOT "SG". Serial #1823561. I've been looking at databases and have yielded nothing thus far. Any possible guess as to what the "S" may mean?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 1:54:03 PM EDT
[#1]
As far as I know, they were all marked SG or S'G'.  Yours was probably lightly marked on the edge so some or all of the G was not captured and probably eroded further during refinishing or through normal wear.  How strong is the remaining imprint?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:49:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Pics or it never happened.  I think I have Canfields book around here somewhere.  I'm not sure I'll have time today to do it, but I can look through it and see what it says.  FWIW, I have a standard products.  But I forget how that's marked.  I'll look at that too.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 7:18:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pics or it never happened.  I think I have Canfields book around here somewhere.  I'm not sure I'll have time today to do it, but I can look through it and see what it says.  FWIW, I have a standard products.  But I forget how that's marked.  I'll look at that too.
View Quote

Looks like Standard Products should be STD.PRO.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:56:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Well the rear sight is staked. To get a good picture the rear sight will have to be removed. How difficult is that?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:19:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Well the rear sight is staked. To get a good picture the rear sight will have to be removed. How difficult is that?
View Quote

You don't want to do that.  Those things are so heavily staked that it'll be very difficult to restake the sight and have it stay.

Btw, I looked in my old Canfield book "A collector's Guide To the M1 GARAND and the M1 CARBINE".

It's shows that the receiver should be marked "SAGINAW S.G." and the serial number block 1,762,520 - 1,875,039 was assigned to the Grand Rapids Plant (S'G') and that includes the Irwin-Pedesen contract.  

Are you sure the "G" wasn't buffed out during a refinish?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:33:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why would you remove the sight to take a picture?  The only area of interest is the "missing" G.  If you can see the S, you should be able to take a picture of the area where the G should be with little problem.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:44:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Well if I shine a flashlight then it's easily seen.  Otherwise it's not easy but it is as described. My photography is not even par. I'll post pictures later today.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:23:17 AM EDT
[#8]
It is as I described. The rear sight came loose via brass punch. Will post pictures later this evening. I'm adjusting to a new schedule at work. Patience is all I ask. GD has no place here as far as I am concerned.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:10:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Probably a missed stamp then. It's nothing that changes the rifle's value. I don't really get why you knocked the sight off just to check. You'll need to restake it once you're done.

It sounds like you have a run of the mill S'G'
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 7:31:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:00:13 PM EDT
[#11]
http://m1family.com/topic23.html

Looks to me like the "G" was just missed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top