Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2016 7:04:40 AM EDT
Hi guys,

I have a question for the M1 carbine experts...
I've recently inherited a commercial M1 carbine from my father.. It was a gift from my mother to him since he really felt in love with this weapon after it served him well in north africa (FFL) and then continued to use it later on during his 30 years of military career, before switching to more modern weapons like the BM59, AR70, PM12 etc.

it's now a frankenstein-carbine but started its life as 1991 commemorative edition made by Iver Johnson.
This is the same carbine I've learned to shoot with when I was kid and despite being a commercial clone it never failed probably because my father was smart enough to replace as much parts as possible with USGI components over the years... the M1 has been in service here in Italy till late 90’s so spare parts were not an issue :-)

The 1st thing to be replaced was the OEM stock… my father always simply referred to the new stock as “M2 type” due to the reinforced hand guards and the internal cuts for the extra M2 parts… but now that I have the chance to compare it to a real type V M2 stock (the unfinished one in the pics below) I don’t know what I have…

The stock has been refinished several times and the only marking still visible is a CITTI or GITTI word on the inside…

ETA to fix pics:

Thanks
F.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 8:24:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Ferns,

You may get a better response on the C&R board (also in Armory forum, just a little further done the page). There will likely be more people who appreciate the subtle, collectible differences between M1 and M2 wood and can help you out.

Great project, good luck
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 11:43:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Iver Johnson's were not built to USGI spec.  To my recollection.  So I believe there will be some differences.  I have no clue what the differences between an Iver Johnson and a USGI are though.  Does you new USGI stock fit?  

I thought there was something about he op slide being different in shape or size...   But I really don't know.  They were not one of the manufactures during WWII.  As far as I remember.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 11:48:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Iver Johnson's were not built to USGI spec.  To my recollection.  So I believe there will be some differences.  I have no clue what the differences between an Iver Johnson and a USGI are though.  Does you new USGI stock fit?  

I thought there was something about he op slide being different in shape or size...   But I really don't know.  They were not one of the manufactures during WWII.  As far as I remember.
View Quote

Earlier IJs were GI spec, some of the later variants were not.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 2:50:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I think you're referring to the Universal carbines with the dual spring op slide.
This I&J is compatible with GI parts in fact the only OEM parts left are the receiver and barrel assembly.

The carbine fit the newer stock and the unkown (darker) stock is also of military origin.. The lack of USGI markings makes me think they are both european made.
just wondering why the difference in machining..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top